Islamic Forum
zebanoor

Hairstyles And Cutting Hair

Salaam,

Is cutting hair allowed in Islam for women? If shes got really long thick hair and finds it hard to manage can she have it thinned or layerd. Or if a girl just wants her hair to look pretty and neat can she get it trimmed and styled. Im curious because in my culture ive been told not to have my hair cut into styles. And girls who have had their hair cut are always looked down on, bear in mind these girls dont wear hijab and fluant their hair, So i want to know if this is cultural or an Islamic view.

If a girl wears hijab and had her hair styled no one can see it anyway so she hasnt really cut her hair for attention and beauty.

I understand a woman cannot have her hair cut like a man, so she cannot shave it off or have it extra short.

Edited by zebanoor

PropellerAds

Dear Sister,

You can check with a local scholar or Imam thru a Mahrram, AFAIK the Prophet SAW forbade men to resemble women and women to resemble men in any "fashion", be it dress, hairstyle or something else (walk, talk etc).

So cutting hair short enough that would look like a male hairstyle is strictly forbidden.

Allah knows best.

Salam

It is permissible for a woman to cut are hair low if weather of the country necessitate it..but not as low as that of the kafir because the prophet says who ever imitate a group is part of them..and you should also not low it like that of men because of the evidence above

Salam

Attention Intention:

If cutting hair is halal then it does not matter if kuffar do it or not, it would still be halal. If cutting hair is haram then cutting hair is haram, but it does not fall under imitating kuffar unless the Muslim intends to do the haram because she saw a kafir woman doing that. If you imitate kuffar in good halal things then it is still halal, but if you imitate a kafir in something that is haram then and you do it with the intention of imitating. But if you do the haram because you don't know the ruling then you cannot be charged as imitating kuffar. It is just about what Sharee'ah tells.

I think that husband should have a say when it comes to the decision.

Wa Alaykom Assalam wa RahmatuAllah

As far as I know, there is no harm in cutting hair if:

a) it remains feminine (and thus does not resemble men);

b) it is not cut with the express intent of imitating non-Muslim fashions; and

c) it is not cut ‘excessively’.

And I think it's a nice change for the husband too. At the end of the day, it's important that we take care of how we look like and that we do our best to look as beautiful as we can in front of the husband. :sl:

Wasalaam,

Safiyyah

Salaam,

Is cutting hair allowed in Islam for women? If shes got really long thick hair and finds it hard to manage can she have it thinned or layerd. Or if a girl just wants her hair to look pretty and neat can she get it trimmed and styled. Im curious because in my culture ive been told not to have my hair cut into styles. And girls who have had their hair cut are always looked down on, bear in mind these girls dont wear hijab and fluant their hair, So i want to know if this is cultural or an Islamic view.

If a girl wears hijab and had her hair styled no one can see it anyway so she hasnt really cut her hair for attention and beauty.

I understand a woman cannot have her hair cut like a man, so she cannot shave it off or have it extra short.

Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb,

Praise be to Allaah.

We ask Allaah Almighty to increase you in faith and to make you content with the truth.

Your question includes two issues:

1 – the ruling on cutting women’s hair. Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

We do not know anything (to disallow) cutting women’s hair. What is forbidden is shaving it. You should not shave your hair but you may cut it and reduce its length or volume; we know of nothing wrong with that. But that should be done in a proper manner which will please you and your husband. You should come to some agreement with him on a kind of haircut that does not resemble kaafir women, because if you leave it long, it will be a lot of trouble to wash it and comb it. So if the hair is very long or thick, and the woman cuts it to reduce its length or volume, that doesn’t matter. Cutting some of it will make it more beautiful, which will please both the woman and her husband. So we do not know of any reason to disallow that. But shaving it altogether is not permissible, except in the case of sickness. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 2, p. 515

It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” (al-Hayd, 320)

Al-Nawawi said: this indicates that it is permissible for women to cut their hair short.

But women should avoid resembling kaafir women or immoral women when they cut their hair

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan said:

It is not permissible for a woman to cut her hair short in the back and leave the sides longer, because this involves disfiguring and fooling about with her hair which is part of her beauty, and it also involves imitating the kaafir women. This prohibition also applies to haircuts which are named after kaafir women or animals, like the “Diana” cut, named after a kaafir women, or the “lion” cut or “mouse” cut, because it is haraam to imitate the kaafirs or to imitate animals, and because that involves fooling about with a woman’s hair which is part of her beauty.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 2/516,517

Source:you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/13744

According to leading Hanafi scholars of Syria, including Shaykh Adib Kallas, there is no harm in a woman cutting her hair, as long as:

a) it remains feminine (and thus does not resemble men);

b) it is not cut with the express intent of imitating non-Muslim fashions; and

c) it is not cut "excessively".

Source:you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=4319&CATE=178

Question: Is a women allowed to put highlights in her hair?

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

It is permissible for a woman to put highlights on her hair and beautify herself for her husband.

The highlights should not resembles fashion in vogue or the way adopted by immoral women.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

Source

Edited by hamza81