Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AliceGrace

Telling My Family Of My Conversion

My husband and I have decided to revert to Islam, but I am worried about the reaction of my family. They are all very devout Greek Orthodox and I am afraid of the reaction I may receive. They also, sadly, have a very "Americanized" view of Islam, to the extent of extreme prejudice and hate, and so I am worried about how they will treat me once I tell them. I will not let their views keep me from my faith, but all the same I would like to not loose my family. I wish to start dressing properly as well, and I am worried about the reception I will receive from my family and students when I enter university next January. I will be dual Majoring in Islamic Studies and Arabic, so I am not worried about my classmates; it is the rest of the student population that scares me. I will be attending Ohio University in Southern Ohio, although it is in Columbus which tends to be a very liberal city, I am still worried. I am only 21 years old and others in my age range tend to be rather cruel to anyone deemed "different" than them, I am worried about this as I have a low self esteem to begin with and am worried that it will only be made worse if I become the target of their ignorance. Does anyone have advice on how to handle this situation? I pray that I can be given the strength I need to make my conversion, but I am worried I may be diverted because of these worries. My family has yet to find a local support group since we are still living in California and just starting our relocation, so I am very grateful for this forums as there are a great number of inspiring stories and resources. I hope this is okay to post a question like this, I am still new to this forum so I apologize if I have posted something not allowed.

Best wishes,

Alice

PropellerAds

Dear Alice

I've replied to your other posts with some useful info. I hope you read them.

I hope we can soon congratulate you when you say your shahada, God willing.

Alice, do not let anything stands between you and your faith in your creator. Once you revert, Islam will give you a strong spiritual push. Your self esteem will rise high like never before. Anyone who looks you down will be the loser. Just try to hang around with the right company. Be friends with some Muslim sisters. In most Universities, there are MSA's (Muslim student association). Get in touch with them, and you'll get the support you need and feel much stronger.

As for your family, like they say, actions speak louder than words. When they notice you changed for the better, and got more in touch with them, do go stuff to them (Islam encourages good family relations, serving the elderly, giving souvenirs in occasions and all..) they will realise how Islam can affect us and make better people out of us.

I wish you all the best.

:sl:

I look forward to calling you a sister soon.

If your family loves you, I'm sure their love for you won't disappear overnight. People have done far worse things than revert to Islam and parents are known for loving unconditionally. As for how to deal with them, just be patient and teach them about Islam. If they think something that isn't true, show them what is true. There have been cases of entire families converting to Islam, so always hope for the best.

Aside from the differences in beliefs, most parents should be thrilled to have their daughter become a Muslim. No more alcohol, no free mixing with the opposite gender (which means no college parties), modest dressing, modest behavior. Allah willing, once they see how beautiful your character becomes as you begin to adhere to Islam, they will come to accept you.

As for your friends and classmates; if they are good friends, they will stand by you. You are blessed to have a husband who will lend you support as you begin your life as a Muslimah. That is something to take great comfort in because you won't have to deal with the hardships of being married to someone who has no love toward Islam.

Take your Shahada immediately and deal with the problems step by step. Don't let this discourage you from reverting. And turn to Allah for aid, be it physical or emotional. May He increase both of your faiths and keep your hearts steadfast on the path of righteousness.

Thank you both for your kind replies. Dot you have been more than helpful, and I really appreciate all you have to say and have contributed to this forums. Redeem, thank you for your encouragement; I truly hope to use this as an opportunity to help others understand this great religion, and of course the hope of them choosing to revert will always be in my heart.

I am excited about attending university after embracing Islam. I tried to study before, but I was distracted by exactly what I should have avoided. I feel Islam will not only make me a better person and wife, but a better student as well.

I will post as soon as we revert, my husband should be home in a few hours and we will be reverting together as a family. I can not wait.

Best wishes,

Alice

Peace.

InshaAllah you will say shahada soon. :sl: I'm a revert to Islam too, and I have to say you are veru blessed to live in USA, since there are a lot of Islamic organizations there that you can ask for help. :sl:

I was very worried about telling my parents about my reversion..Especially because I was 16 at the time. But then I just took a deep breath and told my mother. Well, she was shocked and was about to cry. I did not know what to do or say to be honest. She asked me if someone forced me to this, I said no. And she asked me other questions and I answered them as well as I could. She is not very religious, she is a Lutheran and my father is a Greek Orthodox. My father was completely ok with it and I am sure it somehow made him think about religion more. At least he likes buying all kind of icons etc. to my family home these days.. My mother started telling me how badly muslim men treat their wives etc. But after explaining my mother what Islam really is and how the culture is strongly affecting the lives of some muslims in certain areas, she understood it. And now, after meeting my husband many times, she starts to understand that there is NOTHING wrong with me being a muslim, I have not changed that much, I just take a "break" 5 times a day and go to pray and I wear hijab, I also treat my parents better and I am more polite and calm. She has not seen any bad things coming in to my life after saying my shahada. And I think my father kind of likes the idea of hijab..You all know what fathers are like..They get overprotective if their daughters go out wearing mini-skirts :D And my mother, first she did not understand the hijab, but she says it's beautiful and she always suggests which color to wear today. If I make the mistake of choosing black she goes "don't wear black!!!You look like you're going to a funeral!!".. But that's all. No one really minds, because at the end of the day: it's MY life and MY decision. :no: And besides, I have never been really that sort of crazy teenager who just does things without thinking twice so they know that I don't do this just because of someone or just because it "sounds like fun" etc. :D

I would not be TOO worried about your parents reaction. They might react in a not-so-nice-way at first..But this is only because they love you so much. You are their beloved daughter and they have heard only bad things about Islam. They are worried you will get hurt. Once you explain them what Islam is all about, inshaAllah, they will be ok with it. It will take time but at the end of the day, they love you and they want to accept your choice.

I ask Allah to make it easy for you and for your husband. I wish all the best for you both and hope that soon I am able to call you a sister :j:

Wasalaam,

Safiyyah

Thank you Sister for you encouragement, I am glad to know your family is accepting of your choice; it inspires me to keep an open mind to my family and try not to prejudge their reactions. We reverted last night, as well; I have never felt more at ease or peace with myself it's a wonderful feeling :sl:.

Again, thank you for your inspiration; it will encourage me when we visit them for thanksgiving.

That is great sister, you have taken the best decision of your life.

May Allaah bless you and your family, and please remember me in your duas also.

Well done sister!

May you succeed in this world and the hereafter.

God bless~

MashaAllah :D :sl: :no: :j: :D :D :sl:

Congratulations on your conversion :D It is great to have you as a sister!!

Wasalaam,

Safiyyah

Assalamualikum wr. wbr... alhumdullilah...Mashallah sister ... :sl: :sl: :no: :j: :D :D :D :D :D ... m soooo happy for u....... May Allah swt reward u and grant u Jannah......