Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
m0nica3

How Many Rakat Do You Do?

Asalaamu Alykum,

I just had a question. My husband and i seem to disagree with the number of rakat to do during prayer.

He says we have to do what is obligatory plus what is sunnat otherwise if we only do what is required, the prayer does not count. I always thought that it was the 17 rakat that you do during the day. Am i wrong?

PropellerAds

:sl:

The word Sunnah is used in two ways:

1) To define the way of prophet Muhammad, i.e. how to pray the 5 obligatory prayers are learned from the Sunnah.

2) To define additional and encouraged acts of worship, i.e. praying Sunnah prayers after the obligatory prayers.

To quote a paragraph from an article:

The one who neglects an act that is an obligatory Sunnah will be punished; the one who neglects a mustahabb [encouraged] Sunnah will not be punished, but he is missing out on a great reward and the chance to make up any shortfall in his obligations (waajibaat), because on the Day of Resurrection, any shortfall in his obligations will be made up from his Sunnah actions, if he has any to his credit. Doing Sunnah actions is also a means of maintaining the practice of waajib actions. (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/6586/sunnah%20salaat"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/6586/sunnah%20salaat[/url]

The Rak'ah of the obligatory prayers are:

2 at Fajr

4 at Dhuhr

4 at Asr

3 at Maghrib

4 at Isha

Therefore, they are 17 in number. As long as a person fulfills the obligatory prayers, they have fulfilled their duties of Salaat.

Salam alaikum

I will just add some more according to what i have been told.. Some people do extra nafl and there prayer routine could be different then what i showed below.

Fajr prayer:

First two rakat sunnat

Then two rakat Fard

Zuhr:

First Four rakat sunnat

Then four rakat Fard

Finally two rakat sunnat

Asr:

Four rakat Fard

Maghrib

First Three rakat Fard

Then two rakat sunnat

Isha:

First four rakat fard

Then two rakat sunnat

Then three rakat wajib

Jummah:

Four rakat sunnat

Then two rakat Fard (with imam)

Then four rakat sunnat

Lastly two rakat sunnat

(If you can't go to Masjid then friday prayer is same as Zuhr).

Well there is nothing wrong with bowing down to Allah more then 17 times a day. At last Allah deserves it.