Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
farashajamila

How I Came To Be A Muslim

Asalaamu Alaikum.

All my life I have dealt with conflicted feelings inside. I am a transgender woman, so I had gender identity issues to sort out growing up as a boy. I am now in a place where I am comfortable and happy in my womanhood. But of course, that would not be the end of my struggles. I found Islam. It feels right to me. The God I had prayed to all my life finally called to me one day and I realized that I had been Muslim all along. But does this religion accept someone like me? That is the struggle I find within myself now. I cannot back down from being female, and I cannot denounce my faith in Allah subhanu wa ta'ala!!! I will not do either. Where do I fit in this grand scheme of things as a Muslim transgender? What is God's plan for me? Why did He send me on these paths??

I will tell you how my eyes were even opened to Islam. It all started very superficially. I started dying my hair with henna, and before I knew it I was researching more on the traditions of India and the Arab world. I wore bangles, looked up makeup tutorial on Youtube how to do an Arab cateye look... and I NEVER thought I'd revert at this point. Then I moved in with two Muslim men in an apartment, one of whom I had intimate relations with beforehand (during Ramadan, which at the time I did not celebrate or know about). One was from Yemen, the other Morocco. At the time I was working as a webcam model stripping on the internet for money... and he accepted it and my transgender. But things soured, and tension got into the house. They both were fighting with me, I was fighting with them, the tension was so thick, and the guy I had relations with was starting to be exceptionally cruel.

I could not take any of it anymore. I quit working as a webcam model. One day after crying my eyes out to my mom on the phone before school about the situation, I didn't put any makeup or jewelry on, just some loose clothes and a scarf loosely around my head. I felt at peace, like someone was watching and protecting me. I prayed to God, Who at the time I did not know was Allah subhanu wa ta'ala, for strength and guidance. I kept wearing the hijab and moved out of the apartment. Before I left, I tried to make amends by asking both my roommates for forgiveness. They didn't really say anything. I don't even think they paid attention to that I was finding my way to Islam, but I wanted to offer a last olive branch before I left.

When I did, I found peace at my parents. Peace enough to really look into what had happened during those turbulent days. And I realized that I am a Muslim. Ash hadu anla ilaaha ill Allaha wa ash hadu anna Muhammadan rasul Allah. I felt these words to be true in my heart as I said them and I felt so much happiness and peace.

All the horrible things I had done... all my past mistakes... I wanted to move on from. I am not perfect by any means. But I feel that becoming a Muslim has made me realize what really matters, and has helped me be a better person. Ironic that it took Muslim brother's unkindness to help me find my way... but I pray for them and hope one day they too can find themselves better people with the love of Allah. Alhamdulillah.

I guess my point of telling you all this very condensed story is... while I'm most blessed and happy that I have finally found the truth and right path... I cannot help but feel that being transgender is going to prove difficult in my relationships with other Muslims. I know mukhannathuns are referenced in the Qur'an, Hadith, and Surrah, but is there a place for us here? Like I said, I cannot give up my transition as a transgender because I feel God has lead me on that path all the while planning for me to revert. I feel I am a Muslim woman. Am I wrong?

PropellerAds

assalaamu alaykum,

there are two possible positions in Islam towards you, depending on your situation.

Firstly if you are genetically a woman, but have a disorder that made you grow up a man then most scholars say it is ok for such a person to change their gender to what it should be as such a matter is like a disease and a cure.

but if the person is genetically a man, but otherwise wants to be a woman, then this is considered a form of mental illness for such they should seek treatment as shaitan likes to trap people in such situations.

one of the ways he traps them is to get the rest of society to tell them it is ok, so the rest of kuffar (non muslim pl.) says it is ok so you follow it, thinking it is all ok.

But the true determiner of right and wrong is Allah, the tools for finding out his will the Quran and sunnah and as muslims this is what we submit to and understand.

assalaamu alaykum,

salam

Congratualations for becoming a muslim

Welcome to the family of Islam. Dear sister, when you convert, all your past sins would be forgiven. So start as a new beginning. heheh

By the way i didnt understand what u mean by transgender ? May be due to my poor vocabulary or lack of knowledge in that area. I hope someone else may help you.

May Allah bless you in Jannah

Walaikumussalam warahmathulahi wabarakathuhu

I m happy that you have found Islam.Alhamdulillah.I pray to Allah that your heart should be strengthened with Allah's love.Ameen

Your fear is understandable.But dont worry.Allah is Ever Compassionate.If there are any amends neede to be done,then do that.It depends on the question if you were a hermophrodite or you did this due to desire.

This is the only thing I found regarding your topic

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/34553/changing%20the%20creation"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/34553/changing%20the%20creation[/url]

May Allah make you one of the dwellers of Jannathul Firdhous.

I found a few quotes about it as well.

Sunan Abu Daud Book 41 #4910:

Narrated AbuHurayrah:

“A mukhannath (TS/TG male-to female) who had dyed his hands and feet with henna was brought to the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him). He asked: What is the matter with this man? He was told: Apostle of Allah! he affects women’s get-up. So he ordered regarding him and he was banished to an-Naqi’. The people said: Apostle of Allah! should we not kill him? He said: I have been prohibited from killing people who pray. AbuUsamah said: Naqi’ is a region near Medina and not a Baqi’.†(in other words not referring to Jannat al-Baqi cemetery. Indicating they were not punished.)

From the Holy Qur`an, Surah 42: 49 - 50:

"To Allah belongs the dominion over the heavens and the earth. He creates what he wills. He prepares for whom he wills females, and He prepares for whom He wills males. Or He joins together the males and the females, and He makes those whom He wills to be Aqim (in a normal heterosexual way ineffectual; also barren). Indeed He is the Knowing, the Powerful."

From Ayatullah Imam Khomeini, Tahrir al- Wasilah II, p.624:

"The change of the sex (from man to woman and vice versa) through chirurgical means is permissible to transsexuals." (quoted according to Mohammad B. Ansari, Basel, Oktober 1998)

From Rhazes (Abu Bakr Muhammad b. Zakariya ar-Razi, one of the medieval muslim founders of modern medicine), "Risalah fi l-Ubnah" ("Thesis regarding the passive desire"):

"If the passive (feminine) desire is prolonged, the person affected by it cannot be cured, in particular, if he is obviously feminine and effeminate and loves very much to be like a woman."[using large font size is not allowed]

I believe Allah SWT is compassionate like you said masked. I believe He sent me on this path for a reason. No, I am not a hermaphrodite, but would I really align myself in a religion that does not agree with what I am if I did not truly believe in it?

I'm sorry. I'm just very upset about this conflict I have come upon now. I was so happy and joyful to finally figure out that the God I was praying to was Allah, Praise and Glory be to Him, and that I had been Muslim all along. And now to find out that I am considered mentally ill. It is heartbreaking to think I would be outcast.

Seriously,my heart goes out to you.You sound so sincere,masha Allah.Always repent to Him and ask for guidance.

Allah never abandon who have turned to Him.

assalaamu alaykum farashajamlia,

this is the way you need to reorder your thoughts...

do you believe in Allah with certainty? do you believe in gave a message to Muhammad (saws)?

if so, whatever is contained in that message, in the Quran and sunnah is best for us, our life experiences up to then might be something different but the guidance from Allah is perfect and better for us than what we had before.

Every revert goes through this process to some degree, some find it harder than others but put your trust in Allah and follow his message.

Assalaamu alaykum,

Wa alikum alsalam

Wa alikum alsalam