Islamic Forum
Anon1

Why Islam, Im Not Sure What I Want....

From a young age i have always been in C of E schools where we had to pray and sing hymns, to be honest i never came close to believing, i believe Christianity has so many flaws as its changed so much over the last two thousand years. Although i would say i have had a nice up bringing, My dad is an alcoholic, i was kicked out of my house at 16 (because my dad was drunk and one night i just had enough and a massive arguement ensued), i tried to stay in college but it went downhill from there with a good 2 years of getting absolutely smashed off my face through a variety of different drugs and lots and lots of alcohol, getting to the point where i was starting to feel suicidal, no job, no qualifications and a raging drug habit does that to you. I constanntly looked for an escape and i managed to get an apprentaship in dubai, since then i have stopped Drugs, stopped alcohol infact i have become T-Total but now feel like im missing something, i have many Muslim friends who all seem very eager to convert me and earn lots of "Brownie Points" - i Quote. I still have my doubts, Mainly the whole adam and eve thing and Creationism just does not make any sense to me.

I see all of my Muslim friends are very happy, they all believe in Islam and dont question it, but my problem being an atheist is that i constantly look for flaws within any religeon.

To be honest, i dont know what i want. I want to be happy, i know Islam remains pretty much un changed unllike alot of other religeons but i still dont know if that is what im looking for.

Why would Islam be the one for me? Why is Islam the "right" religeon?

PropellerAds

Perhaps twoswordsali can help you. I do not know the extent one can interpret these accounts as metaphorical, but that may be a route to accepting them. Having you tried taking your concerns to a local Masjid? They often have people happy to talk you through these difficulties, and you would have the added benefit of making contacts in case you did decide to proceed further with Islam.

Id like to keep it to the forum if possible, then i can get different peoples opinions. My friends are always telling me how western media will always make Islam look bad and i can understand where they are coming from in the way the west makes the minority look like the majority, although i always notice that many of my friends interpret parts of the Quran it in different ways and often end up in a small disputes about it aha. I know alot of the religeous fanatics have probably interpreted the Quran it in the wrong way and all of my friends say it is Un Islamic and they should go to hell.

When i confront my friends about adam and eve they cant give me a direct answer, and end up saying we just have faith, so i would like someone to give me an explanation to this, i would like to think there is something greater and that we might go somewhere once we die but i just find it so unplausible...

and i dont have a local Masjid, the area i live in is quite atheist/ christian

The problem arises that whenever we discuss certain topics that some people cant handle having a discussion without getting angry, i can say 4 words and beore we even get into any understanding of the Quran we will be bombarded with a whole lot of fitnah. The problem is that we have people who just parrot what they hear and dont think for themselves. Allah says that we will stand alone on judgement day, not with our scholars or Imams, so why dont we read the Quran for some understanding instead of just repeating what was said . Granted scholars are very gifted and can help us greatly and they will even tell you that the Quran has vast meanings when reading it. So before we even get into the story of Adam and Eve I would have no problem discussing this with you privatly otherwise if i discuss this topic here and just offer you some insight into the story of Adam and Eve i will be told that i am misleading you.

So to avoid confusion i have no problem with talking to you privately. The story of Adam and Eve has great understanding for us but i wont waste my time giving you an explanation to be stopped before i even start. May God guide you to truth and to greater understanding

{Moderator note}

This post has violated forum rule #8. Action taken.

For more details, please read our (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?act=boardrules"]Forum Rules[/url].

Anon, I would advice you to keep your discussions to the forum. As you yourself said, you will receive feedback from more people this way. And I have utmost confidence when I say that 95% of the people you speak with on the forum will agree on all issues regarding Islam, even if they come from all parts of the globe.

Perhaps you should pick a subject and either read about it or ask questions. Islam is very vast and I think you should start in what interests you the most.

I do not know the extent one can interpret these accounts as metaphorical, but that may be a route to accepting them.

Accepting something metaphorically when it is literal, or vice versa, is detrimental to one's faith and can remove someone from the fold of Islam. That is why personal interpretations of the Qur'an are greatly discouraged.

Salam.

May peace mercy and blessings of Allah (swt) be upon all those who follow the right path.

Dear Anon1

Before I start to answer you questions I should agree that Im not a scholar in Islam, but a student.

I would like to begin by commenting on one of ur statement

but my problem being an atheist is that i constantly look for flaws within any religeon.

Dear Anon1, Islam comes to the solution for humanity and it provides solution to all your problems. The following hadith would clearly inform you about an important step you need to take before you begin.

Sahih Al Bukhari

Volumn 001, Book 001, Hadith Number 001.

-----------------------------------------

Narated By 'Umar bin Al-Khattab : I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended. So whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration was for what he emigrated for."

Therefore, if you want to learn more about the religion, at first, you need to intend to strive to find the true path instead of intending to find flaws in it. Only then it would help you in identifying which is right, and what is wrong. For instance, if the doctor intend to kill the patient before he starts the operation, then what would be the outcome?

For people who tries to give a challenge the quran, Allah challenge them as you can read in the following.

1. A Challenge to produce a whole book like that

In the Quran, God commanded the Prophet to challenge all of creation to create a book of the stature of the Quran:

Surathul Isra Chapter 17 verse 88

“Say: ‘If all mankind and the jinn would come together to produce the like of this Quran, they could not produce its like even though they exerted all and their strength in aiding one another.’†(Quran 17:88)

2. 10 Surah

Next, God made the challenge ostensibly easier by asking those who denied its divine origin to imitate even ten chapters of the Quran:

Surathul Hud chapter 11 verse 13

“Or do they say that he has invented it? Say (to them), ‘Bring ten invented chapters like it, and call (for help) on whomever you can besides God, if you are truthful.†(Quran 11:13)

3. Final Challange , bring atleast 1 chapter

This final challenge was to produce even a single chapter to match what is in the Quran, whose shortest chapter, al-Kawthar, consists of only three verses:

Surathul Baqara Chapter 2 verse 23-24

23. And if ye are in doubt as to what We have revealed from time to time to Our servant, then produce a Sura like thereunto; and call your witnesses or helpers (If there are any) besides Allah, if your (doubts) are true.

24. But if ye cannot- and of a surety ye cannot- then fear the Fire whose fuel is men and stones,- which is prepared for those who reject Faith.

Further Allah says in surathu Nisa chapter 4 verse 82

82. Do they not consider the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other Than Allah, they would surely have found therein Much discrepancy.

Anyways, here is the quranic answer about the incident of Adam and Eve.

The story of Adam and Eve in the quran

Surathul Baqara chapter 2 verse 28-39

28. How can ye reject the faith in Allah.- seeing that ye were without life, and He gave you life; then will He cause you to die, and will again bring you to life; and again to Him will ye return.

29. It is He Who hath created for you all things that are on earth; Moreover His design comprehended the heavens, for He gave order and perfection to the seven firmaments; and of all things He hath perfect knowledge.

30. Behold, thy Lord said to the angels: "I will create a vicegerent on earth." They said: "Wilt Thou place therein one who will make mischief therein and shed blood?- whilst we do celebrate Thy praises and glorify Thy holy (name)?" He said: "I know what ye know not."

31. And He taught Adam the nature of all things; then He placed them before the angels, and said: "Tell me the nature of these if ye are right."

32. They said: "Glory to Thee, of knowledge We have none, save what Thou Hast taught us: In truth it is Thou Who art perfect in knowledge and wisdom."

33. He said: "O Adam! Tell them their natures." When he had told them, Allah said: "Did I not tell you that I know the secrets of heaven and earth, and I know what ye reveal and what ye conceal?"

34. And behold, We said to the angels: "Bow down to Adam" and they bowed down. Not so Iblis: he refused and was haughty: He was of those who reject Faith.

35. We said: "O Adam! dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden; and eat of the bountiful things therein as (where and when) ye will; but approach not this tree, or ye run into harm and transgression."

36. Then did Satan make them slip from the (garden), and get them out of the state (of felicity) in which they had been. We said: "Get ye down, all (ye people), with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be your dwelling-place and your means of livelihood - for a time."

37. Then learnt Adam from his Lord words of inspiration, and his Lord Turned towards him; for He is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.

38. We said: "Get ye down all from here; and if, as is sure, there comes to you Guidance from me, whosoever follows My guidance, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

39. "But those who reject Faith and belie Our Signs, they shall be companions of the Fire; they shall abide therein.

Why would Islam be the one for me? Why is Islam the "right" religeon?

One reason is that Islam has got the solutions for the human problems, like Alchohol, Fornication, theaft, economic problems etc.....

Second reason was told by you

i know Islam remains pretty much un changed unllike alot of other religeons

We still have the Quran unchanged and Allah promised for it

One of the Qur'an’s most important attributes is that it reached us in the very same form in which it was revealed to our Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). In: [We have sent down the Reminder, and We will preserve it.] (Al-Hijr 15: 9), Allah promised to protect it. (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah%2FLSELayout&cid=1158658467041"]Read more[/url]

There can be so many answers to that. Differnt people come to answer that questions in different forms and ways.

So is it to be taken literally or metaphorically?

And is the creation of the world the same within Islam as it is Christianity?

because i find it insane that some people believe the world is actually 12000 years old....

so is the whole Adam and Eve thing not meant to be taken literally?

Ah, friend, I should not have said anything. Please listen to the others.

I could understand it on the concept that man should not give into sin as he will suffer the consequences... but i cant seem to grasp taking the concept of adam and eve literally.

I could understand it on the concept that man should not give into sin as he will suffer the consequences... but i cant seem to grasp taking the concept of adam and eve literally.

When you speak of literal or metaphorical aspects of Adam and Eve, do you mean that you cannot accept that they were real human being who existed at one point?

Salam.

I suppose the whole idea of creationism is problem...

But then again im not very well educated on Islam, is it the same as christianity in the way the universe was created in 7 days and god created adam and eve?

In response to Vishnah,

Therefore, if you want to learn more about the religion, at first, you need to intend to strive to find the true path instead of intending to find flaws in it. Only then it would help you in identifying which is right, and what is wrong. For instance, if the doctor intend to kill the patient before he starts the operation, then what would be the outcome?

It might not be that i constantly look for flaws, its that i constantly find flaws or things i disagree with. I know due to reading about Islam that alot of these flaws that Non-Muslims commonly find, are misconceptions, like beating your wife... as one of the other threads i read on here explained to me was wrong and not allowed in Islam, well not a "beating" more of a "showing your wife you disaprove".

Another thing i disagree with is women having to cover up completely, i completely agree that everyone should clothe themselves in a decent respective manner but if a muslim woman isnt covering up and she is raped by a muslim man it seems to be the womans fault for not covering up? when if the man had been faithful to his religeon in the first place it wouldnt have happened...

Please dont take this as if im argueing with any of you, these are simply things that come to mind when i think about Islam..... and im looking for answers.

When you speak of literal or metaphorical aspects of Adam and Eve, do you mean that you cannot accept that they were real human being who existed at one point?

Salam.

I think it is the whole idea, a first man being created ex nihilo and the woman from him. It isn't hard to believe that there were real human beings existing at one point. The problem is the story that surrounds their coming into being.

i Read in another thread from a guy who follows Islam but believes in evolution? and that once in their human form god gave them spirits etc...

i just find it hard to believe that one day....

poof.

Adam and Eve were created?

or am i wrong on that theory?

Another thing i disagree with is women having to cover up completely, i completely agree that everyone should clothe themselves in a decent respective manner but if a muslim woman isnt covering up and she is raped by a muslim man it seems to be the womans fault for not covering up? when if the man had been faithful to his religeon in the first place it wouldnt have happened...

Firstly, if an uncovered woman is raped, then she is guilty of being uncovered, not of being raped. The man receives the punishment of committing fornication and he also pays money to the victim that is equal to her peers' dowry. And you are right that a man who is faithful to God won't be committing rape.

As for the Hijab, it isn't simply used to deter rape or anything of the sort. The Hijab is a commandment from Allah to Muslim women and an indication that the one who wears it is a Muslim. For those believing women who love their Creator and desire His pleasure, it is the easiest thing in the world to wear. They would rather be slaves to Allah than slaves to their desires. I don't see what is wrong with the Hijab when it is an outward display of dedication to Allah.

You say that you agree that everyone should be clothed, but what defines "clothing" isn't something people agree on. For some, their standard is based on the current entertainment industry. For others, like the Amish, it is something different. Personally speaking, the more that a woman is clothed, the more respectable she appears to me.

Salam.

I think it is the whole idea, a first man being created ex nihilo and the woman from him. It isn't hard to believe that there were real human beings existing at one point. The problem is the story that surrounds their coming into being.

Which part do you mean?

Adam and Eve were created?

or am i wrong on that theory?

Yes, they were created.

Salam.

I meant did they just Exist?

just appeared one day because god created them?

And i apologize if i have not understood the purpose of the Hijab properly just whenever i ask anyone their usual reasoning is that if a woman is wearing a Hijab, abaya etc they are less desirable and therefore less likely to be raped...

I see alot of logic within Islam in the way it can solve a lot of problems, just Creation is where my main issue is....

Which part do you mean?

The part where they just miraculously come into being without any mediating processes. I think anon believes in an evolutionary explanation for the presence of humans, and so is wondering if he has to give this up to become a Muslim.

Edited by the sad clown

I meant did they just Exist?

just appeared one day because god created them?

No, they did not just appeared. Allah created them, if you have time please read the attached document, which is 16 pages long and will give you an idea how human race begun.

It is up to you whether to believe it or not, and choose whatever makes more sense either theory of evolution or religious concept..

Peace

BEGINNING_OF_HUMAN_RACE.doc

Edited by Mercyonmankind

Salam

Thanks to sister Redeem for answering his questions that he directed to me. Indeed you explained it quiet well. Therefore I just want to second what you said

Another thing i disagree with is women having to cover up completely, i completely agree that everyone should clothe themselves in a decent respective manner

Islam gives the crieteria to cover them up. This doesnt neccesarily mean that they have to be completely covered infront of their fathers, mothers husband, kids etc... This should be done only when she is going infront of non-mahrams ( those she can marry)

but if a muslim woman isnt covering up

Lets not only pull up with women, include men too. Even men should cover between their knees and Navel (belly button)

and she is raped by a muslim man it seems to be the womans fault

Not really, if the man raped its his fault, if they both agreed to do it, both of them are in sin. However, trying to attract the opposite sex could be also be a sin. This applies equally for men and women.

In Islam, we have to be resopnsible for what we have done and we do not have to carry and bear the sin of others

Surah Azzumar chapter 39

70. And to every soul will be paid in full (the fruit) of its Deeds; and ((Allah)) knoweth best all that they do.

Please dont take this as if im argueing with any of you, these are simply things that come to mind when i think about Islam..... and im looking for answers.

Your most welcome

May Allah (swt) show you the right path