Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KraftEasyMac

Muslim Reaction To The Swiss Ban Of Minarets

As many of you may have heard, the swiss people recently voted favorably for a ban on the construction of minarets in their country. I have no doubt that the Muslim community is outraged over this decision. However, and I ask with all due respect, isn't it a bit hypocritical for Muslims to be offended by this, when many Muslim nations ban the teaching of *any* other religion in their countries?

PropellerAds

Is this even legal under Swiss law? I'd think knowingly banning something that will make a few billion people and a few nations mad would compromise their neutrality.

As many of you may have heard, the swiss people recently voted favorably for a ban on the construction of minarets in their country. I have no doubt that the Muslim community is outraged over this decision. However, and I ask with all due respect, isn't it a bit hypocritical for Muslims to be offended by this, when many Muslim nations ban the teaching of *any* other religion in their countries?

Hi thats garbage, in Bangladesh 90% are classed as muslim yet they freely let other relgions go about doing what they do.

Hi thats garbage, in Bangladesh 90% are classed as muslim yet they freely let other relgions go about doing what they do.

Without necessarily accepting the premise of the original post, wouldn't it be against Islam for a Muslim majority country to allow other religions equality with Islam? I thought Sharia prescribed certain restrictions on other religions?

Also, what about those nations that don't allow other religions to do what they want freely? By citing only certain examples, instead of the principles of Islam, it seems like you are suggesting that it is acceptable to be outraged, but only where it would not be hypocritical.

Is this even legal under Swiss law? I'd think knowingly banning something that will make a few billion people and a few nations mad would compromise their neutrality.

It is very debatable that it is legal, and there is a good chance that it will be struck down later on in court. Also, I would say it is hypocritical of the Swiss, a violation of their own principles, and of the implicit promise they held out to these immigrants.

However, your question is also problematic. For if the Western countries continue to hold out the promise of neutrality while Muslim countries continue policies that discriminate against other religions, it would seem that this would create a one way filter, in which one side would continue to have its representation grow while the other was not able to reciprocate. I think that the fear of the Swiss, and some other Westerners is that their religious neutrality is being take advantage of. I think it is this fear that perhaps is being implicitly expressed by the original posters question. What do you think of it? To demand a neutrality in others that you are unwilling to grant yourself? The fear is sort of like two men agreeing to loan each other money when they needed it, but one fellow insisting that he shouldn't have to pay fees for the loan while the other man did. Which way would you think the money would flow?

I am looking forward to your reply, since I believe this fear to be unfounded and based on confusion.

Without necessarily accepting the premise of the original post, wouldn't it be against Islam for a Muslim majority country to allow other religions equality with Islam? I thought Sharia prescribed certain restrictions on other religions?

There are no Islamic countries in the world in this age, only countries dominated by muslims.

There are no Islamic countries in the world in this age, only countries dominated by muslims.

I have heard that this is the case, but that still doesn't seem to answer the question, since the principles of Islam remain, even if they are not implemented.

The Islamic system gives equality to all its citizens, regardless of their belief systems. Non-Muslims are free to build their own worship places, and practice their rituals. They are allowed to implement their own laws that govern their own affairs, and the Muslim judge has to apply their laws when handling their cases. They have all the rights just like Muslims. They pay a sum of money instead of being recruited in the army, so they don't have to go to wars. In exchange, Muslims have a duty to protect them and their properties against any invasions. There are numerous examples in Islamic history where non-Muslim lived their best years in peace when they were under Islamic systems. The Jews of Palestine, before the crusade, the Spanish Christians during the Islamic period in Europe, and the Jews enjoying much better conditions and freedom in Arab countries while Jews of Europe were haunted, tortured and burned to death, are just a few examples.

The Islamic system gives equality to all its citizens, regardless of their belief systems. Non-Muslims are free to build their own worship places, and practice their rituals. They are allowed to implement their own laws that govern their own affairs, and the Muslim judge has to apply their laws when handling their cases. They have all the rights just like Muslims. They pay a sum of money instead of being recruited in the army, so they don't have to go to wars. In exchange, Muslims have a duty to protect them and their properties against any invasions.

Can they proselytize Muslims? Can Muslims proselytize non-Muslims? Can non-Muslims become the leader of the state? Can Muslims become the leader of the state? In a confrontation between a Muslim and a non-Muslim, whose laws are used to judge the dispute? There are other matters in which inequalities present themselves, and I don't blame Islam for it, since any state founded on Islam ought to favor Islam, precisely because it is the truth. From what has been communicated to me, a Muslim state can tolerate, even live peacably, with other religions, but it doesn't grant them equality with Islam.

I'm not disputing the quality of life a non-Muslim can have in a Muslim state, but rather their status as equals with Muslims.

Edited by the sad clown

Non-Muslims are free to build their own worship places, and practice their rituals.

If that is the case, why are idols sometimes destroyed? Also, I seem to recall that in another thread it was claimed that under sharia Hindu temples ould not be allowed.

:sl:

So are you saying that a country that contains Makkah and Medinah is not muslim ?

:sl:

So are you saying that a country that contains Makkah and Medinah is not muslim ?

There is no caliphate, thus there's no Islamic state. Islamic theocracies and Muslim dominated states, yes but not Islamic states.

Wow, someone poses a question that strikes at the underlying blatant hypocrisy behind the way that muslims deal with non-muslims, and the only answers are dodges and deflections of the question. Whether or not there is currently a caliphate, there are countries that are living in an Islamic state, i.e. a state of total Islamic control. Answer the question, don't argue semantics.

What's funny is that some clerics from one such Islamic state that doesn't allow any non-islamic religious building of any kind have the audacity to criticize the swiss for infringing on the religious rights of muslims. How on earth could they say that when their own country doesn't allow non-muslims the same freedoms that they are demanding of the swiss? Because of blatant hypocrisy, hypocrisy fed by the fact that muslims, backed up by the teachings of their prophet and his book, feel that they are superior to the rest of the world's population and because it is their faith which makes them superior, any actions against its attempt at global domination are unacceptable while the same freedoms for other religions are unimportant.

Did you ever think that maybe the swiss see how the huge numbers of muslims immigrants who move to Europe refuse to integrate with the society of their host country and instead set up parallel societies that, fed by the enormous muslim birthrate, eventually start demanding shariah law? Maybe they see how muslims are involved in nearly all the violent acts of terrorism in the world, and they see not only leaders of terrorist groups, but leaders of muslim countries and prominent clerics supporting the actions of violent terrorists and justifying the acts with passages from the Koran and Hadith. Perhaps the swiss have noticed that wherever Islam spreads and gains power, personal freedoms are taken away & non-muslims are treated badly.

An interesting sidelight on this silly law is that it's exactly the sort of thing you would expect to happen under the "direct democracy" model pushed by libertarians.

Wow, someone poses a question that strikes at the underlying blatant hypocrisy behind the way that muslims deal with non-muslims, and the only answers are dodges and deflections of the question. Whether or not there is currently a caliphate, there are countries that are living in an Islamic state, i.e. a state of total Islamic control. Answer the question, don't argue semantics.

...Because of blatant hypocrisy, hypocrisy fed by the fact that muslims, backed up by the teachings of their prophet and his book....

Firstly, there is no need for hostility. A lot more ground can be covered if we all discuss things amicably. Secondly, if Muslims say that non-Muslims not being allowed to build places of worship is a reflection of the lack of an Islamic State, then they are saying two things:

1) They do not approve of it.

2) It is not backed by the teachings of the Qur'an or the Hadiths.

No one has yet to claim "Muslims should be allowed to build things in non-Muslim countries, even though we believe non-Muslims can't do the same in Muslim countries." There is no hypocrisy here.

Salam.

Maybe they see how muslims are involved in nearly all the violent acts of terrorism in the world, and they see not only leaders of terrorist groups, but leaders of muslim countries and prominent clerics supporting the actions of violent terrorists and justifying the acts with passages from the Koran and Hadith. Perhaps the swiss have noticed that wherever Islam spreads and gains power, personal freedoms are taken away & non-muslims are treated badly.

The bolded part isn't close to being true though. Depending on what you define as terrorism Communist guerrilla forces are responsible for the majority of suicide bombers while the US etc. have killed a large number of innocent civilians. This isn't to dismiss the actions of people who claim to be Muslims that think that killing innocent people are ok, but it is good to keep things in perspective and realize there is plenty of blame to go around.

Edited by xocoti

Maybe they see how muslims are involved in nearly all the violent acts of terrorism in the world,

Says the guy who's forum name is based on 1 of the most brutal dictators of the 19-20th centuries...

And what about the IRA? The KKK (Christian equivilent to Al Quida)? FARK?

Salam

The Minarettes are not essential in Islam. However, it is essential for us Muslims to confront the Islamophobic behaviour in a gentle manner. The best way is to inform the people of Islam and behave according to the Sunnah.

To be honest I don't care what the Swedish government did, it does amuse me that European countries as a whole are facing a identity problem and feel threatened by such trivial issues. I have not came across any verse from the Qur'an or the Hadiths that say non-Muslims of other religions are not allowed to build their places of worship. We do have Muslim nations that allow to build Churches, Temples and so on while other Muslim nations do not allow this. So I personally don't mind this ban but amused by it.

Muslims in Sweden are not preventing others from building places of worship, so I am not sure why they are being targeted for actions committed by governors and politicians from other countries who have implemented laws stating non-Muslims cannot build places of worship.

Anyway, I'll tolerate this decision. Minarets are not compulsory.