Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
In War with me

Using Other Languages In Prayer

Assalamu alaikum wrahmathullahi wabarakathuhu

Hello there,

I was told by an ustada that using non arabic languages in salah would nullify it.I have heard something like this too.But anyway my question is 'What about asking du'as during sujood(prostration)?'

I mean,I mostly use my language or English besides the standard Arabic du'as.

I got one more question,

When I perform Isthikara...Sometimes I feel peace within and sometimes absolutely nothing.Never had I received a positive answer.So I mostly follow what comes spontaneously.Is this right?

Last time I did it,I didnt know what should be done so I acted upon what would be(islamically) correct.But after a couple of weeks,I did something absolutely opposite to it.I m confused much as I know one of these acts are right and the other one wrong...Which one is it?

PropellerAds

Salaams,

Here is an answer (shafi'i position) from sunnipath:

If the one who is praying knows Arabic, his prayer will be invalidated by a non-Arabic supplication (du‘a) or invocation (dhikr), whether or not this supplication or invocation has been transmitted from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) [at that point in prayer] or not. As for the one who does not know Arabic, it is permitted for him to make a supplication or invocation in a language other than Arabic, but only if it has been transmitted that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) uttered them [at that point in the prayer]; otherwise, if they haven’t been transmitted from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), saying them in a language other than Arabic will invalidate the prayer.

You should not expect a sign after you do isthikara. What you have been doing is correct i.e. you pray the isthikara and then do what you think is best.

Last time I did it,I didnt know what should be done so I acted upon what would be(islamically) correct.But after a couple of weeks,I did something absolutely opposite to it.I m confused much as I know one of these acts are right and the other one wrong...Which one is it?

If you made the first decision based on sound Islamic knowledge, then this would be the correct one. You didn't say why you did the opposite a couple of weks later.

Peace

Salaams,

Here is an answer (shafi'i position) from sunnipath:

Walaikumussalam warahmathullahi wabarakathuhu

Hmmm...That sounds complicated.Does that mean that I have to say supplications only that which the prophet :sl: had said? :sl:

What about that hadhith that says,supplicate more in sujood?

My isthikara was about maintaining my relationship with my friend.Our friendship was cracking seriously due to psychological stress.We were having our time out when I did my isthikara prayer.But I felt nothing after that.So I said to myself,"Okay how much our minds clash,I'll stick to her coz that is a more appropriate behavior towards a fellow muslimah".But dang,after a few weeks --unlike always--I exploded saying that I could not bear with the pain she's giving me anymore.Sigh.I wish I hadnt done that.We still talk,say salam and stuff.But I officially declared we were no more friends. :no:

I, being a very stable (not arrogant or stubborn)person,am living upto my words till now.Because it is more of a circular problem.But sometimes I wonder if it was a wrong decision.Is it?

Salam.

Yes you can make dua when you're doing sujud but only speak in your heart. As they said, when you sujood you are closer to Allah (SWT). You can use your own language, you speak in your heart. But you must speak with your mouth in Arabic when doing your prayer. Forgive me if I'm wrong. Wait for more answers from other knowledgable sisters or brothers.

Peace. :sl:

Salaams

Walaikumussalam warahmathullahi wabarakathuhu

Hmmm...That sounds complicated.Does that mean that I have to say supplications only that which the prophet :sl: had said? :sl:

What about that hadhith that says,supplicate more in sujood?

The ruling for using another language is only allowed for people who do not know the arabic version of the supplication. So if you have a translation of a known supplication of Rasoolullah, but don't have the Arabic, you can say it in English during sujood. So the following is found in Abu Dawud: "Glory to the One who has all power, kindgom, magnificence and supremity." Since you don't know the Arabic of this, you could say this in English.

But I'm assuming you want to ask Allah for something specific in your sujood. But this is only allowed if you can say it in Arabic. So you can either say a sunnah supplication in Arabic like the one below. Then supplicate what you want specifically after the salah. Or, you could ask someone to translate what it is you want to say into Arabic (if it's not sensitive), so you can say it in sujood.

Subhaana thi-l jabaroot w-al malakoot w-al kibriyaa w-al 3azama

ÓÈÃÇä Ãí ÇáÌÈÑæÊ æÇáãáßæÊ æÇáßÈÑíÇà æ ÇáÚÙãÉ[using large font size is not allowed]

I think the first option is better. The sunnah supplication is the best, as this will get you closer to Allah. Saying your personal dua after the salah is just as valid, and of course, Allah swt will hear you.

My isthikara was about maintaining my relationship with my friend.Our friendship was cracking seriously due to psychological stress.We were having our time out when I did my isthikara prayer.But I felt nothing after that.So I said to myself,"Okay how much our minds clash,I'll stick to her coz that is a more appropriate behavior towards a fellow muslimah".But dang,after a few weeks --unlike always--I exploded saying that I could not bear with the pain she's giving me anymore.Sigh.I wish I hadnt done that.We still talk,say salam and stuff.But I officially declared we were no more friends. :no:

I, being a very stable (not arrogant or stubborn)person,am living upto my words till now.Because it is more of a circular problem.But sometimes I wonder if it was a wrong decision.Is it?

Istikhara is a prayer that Allah guide you towards that which is best (khayr) for you. If you do the prayer of guidance (istikhara) with the proper manners, the most important of which is to truly consign the matter to Allah and suspend your own inclinations, then Allah will make events unfold in the direction that is the best for your worldly and next-worldly affairs.

So what happened between you and your friend meant to happen. That doesn't mean the outcome is set in stone. It could be that Allah has put you both in a difficult situation as a test, and as a means to expiate some sins. Perhaps Allah swt has decided that these complications you are facing is the best course for your life. The istikhra prayer doesn't solve life's issues and make everything clear-cut. It is a request to Allah to guide you to the eventual best result. And you should be hopeful that Allah swt answered your prayer and events are unfolding in a beneficial way, even if it doesn't feel like it. So the fact you changed your mind a couple of weeks later doesn't neceassarily make the first decision a wrong one. This is how the events will unfold, as willed by Allah.

As Muslims we should strive to be close and friendly with our fellow Muslims. It is good that you are at least saying salam to each other. But sometimes characters clash, despite our best efforts to compromise. If you are feeling sad, I imagine she's feeling the same. Do you see any noticable benefits from cooling the relationship? Do you think she's benefitting? If the answers are no, then you may want to consider trying again, after you've both had some time apart. And you can always do istikhara again, to help guide you.

:no:

Brother Josh is wrong. Of course you can say all your duaa's in your own language sister. The best duaa is not what we read, memorize or translate, but what comes out of our own hearts, in our own words. Even in the most noble of all Islamic places, in ka'aba, during tawaf, we are always advised that the best duaa is what we say from the heart not from text books that many Muslims hold in hand and keep repeating.

Whoever says otherwise is committing a great mistake. Islam is a religion for the whole world, regardless of race, nationality or language. You are only required to learn enough Arabic to say your prayers, not your duaa's /suplications.

If you want to make sure, you can post that question in our short fatwa section to get you an official fatwa/ruling.

As for salatul istikhara, you don't necessarily get a sign. But the thing you're about to do will either go on smoothly, or something will come up or problems arise that prevents it from happening. Suppose you're making istikhara before buying a specific used car that you saw the other day. If Allah :sl: doesn't want you to buy it, because its best for you not to, then when you go the next day, you'll probably find that it was sold, or your mechanic said its a bad car and talked you out of it, or you found not enough cash in your bank account, or something like that. But if everything went ok, then Allah :sl: wanted you to buy it. Its as simple as that.

I'll now close this topic, to avoid any possible further confusing views.