Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lethal Injection

Can You Be A Devout Muslim And Rich At The Same Time?

Salaam all

I've always thought knowledge/proper projects that yield money/etc. and an Islamic mentality of a sheep following his religion by the word can never mix. So how can I make proper money without being socially active (you can't drink as a muslim, which is a HUGE part of being social), without investing in high yield projects, and without having any proper vivid goals (since the mere goal of a Muslim is to keep praying to enter heaven). I am currently in love with a muhajjaba, and she wants me to get away from all things like drinking/etc., yet I don't have the money to get engaged to her so that we would get married (it would take me at least 3 years), and when I have a dead soul inside I just can't carry myself on to work for a living. I had a chance to work with an African guy who has tons of money with a pay of around 7k/month in Angola, but the guy is very outgoing, invites me to dinner parties, etc. If I say no, I'd lose the job. I'm very confused. How can I make money and be a devout Muslim at the same time. Not to mention I LOST all my "FRIENDS" including relatives after I have stopped going out/socializing/drinking/doing what early 20 year olds do. I must say in the end that I am of weak faith indeed and it shows through my words, so I ask you all for advice (ADVICE, not SCREAMING). Thank you, and Salaam to all.

Edited by Lethal Injection

PropellerAds

Salamm,

Brother, what can I say?

First of all, do you believe in Allah? Or have a full conviction that He actually exists?. If you are not certain or in doubt, then this should be your first endeavor, seek and learn on this aspect first. Once you have covered this part then seek an understanding of our purpose of life, why we are here on this earth. Being a Muslim means to have full conviction with proper understanding and not by being a sheep or simply because we were born in Muslim family or society.

Once we've covered both parts, then it would become clear to us how artificial and how farce everything else that this world has to offer, be it money, material things, fame etc. Of course to have money is nice but not at the expense of our real purpose of life or by disobeying Allah.

Your situation is rather serious, if you choose your friend ,7k/month, drinking and boozing over Allah (by disobeying Him), then that is a form of shirk, a sin that Allah would not forgive (should you die before making taubah). As long as we are alive, then Allah tells us not to despair for His mercy as He is willing to forgive all sins, all that we have to do is turn to Him and ask Him.

Opps, completely forgot about your would be fiancé,,It is good that she ask you to stop drinking and partying but like I said above, the ultimate decision is yours and yours alone. I find this story about this brother from Dagestan rather inspiring, perhaps we can learn something from it?

Dagestani pilgrims’ journey of faith real test of patience

[using large font size is not allowed]Badea Abu Al-Naja | Arab News######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetarabnews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/images/pixel.gif[/img]######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetarabnews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/images/pixel.gif[/img]######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetarabnews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2009/12/dagestani11_.jpg[/img]

Dagestani pilgrims set up tent along a street in Makkah. (AN photo by Badea Abu Al-Naja) ######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetarabnews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/images/pixel.gif[/img]######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetarabnews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/images/pixel.gif[/img]MAKKAH: Haj 2009 may have come and gone, but for Abdul Fattah Dove, a 30-year-old pilgrim from the Republic of Dagestan in the Russian Federation, this journey will remain in his memory for the rest of his life.

Dove said his journey to Makkah took him a month because his car was old and unreliable. He said it took him years to save up the money for the most affordable Haj visa, the one that doesn’t come with transportation, room and board.

“I refused to marry so as not to lose anything of the amount of money I had collected,†he said.

Dove said when he reached Makkah, he sought shelter in the city’s Kudai district where many of the pilgrims from the Russian Federation stay.

“I lived at the water-distribution station there,†he said. “The hospitable Saudi citizens supplied us with food throughout our stay.â€

Dove, who was preparing to leave for home recently, was overjoyed that he had finally come to Saudi Arabia and performed Haj.

“I have realized my dream,†he said. “I can now marry.â€

The rest of the article here: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_1426.blogspot(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2009/12/dagestani-pilgrims-journey-of-faith.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_1426.blogspot(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2009/12/dagestani...y-of-faith.html[/url]

Allah knows best

ard

Edited by RAHIMI

Salaam

Thanks for the input.

Any books (other than the Koran)/lectures/documentaries/etc. you suggest I watch? Thank you

Also, I'd appreciate more input and opinions on the matter.

Salaam

wow that's a very honest statement.

I have trouble understanding how Islam/Muslims are supposed to be successful myself. Everyone in the M.East values money sooooooo much, and they don't care where it is from. I find people's answers not good enough, and it worries me. I have an uncle who makes his money haram, has Canadian restaurant, with alcohol and pork, and everyone in Syria accepts him and makes prayers for him, and he doe give them a lot of money. you should see how he buys them. And he is two faced-not consistent. he acts very nice and social, for instance when he calls, but otherwise, if you call him, he can be moody - he is 2 faced. He puts on a show in Syria that his kids are angels. I have his son, my cousin on facebook, showed my mom, and she very casually told my aunt, now retired living in Syria who told my other uncle, dad's bro, and he made a big deal of it, and it came back to me from my uncle in Calgary. It honestly upsets me, b/c he's been very irresponisble Islamically, my dad brought him to the country when he was 18. My dad has always made a living halal, and simply made sacrifices, we are not a rich family, but alhamdulilah, they have a house(my parents) that is paid for. My uncle has never ever ever offered any type of real support, and it gets a bit socially complex, I think. My bro was badly influenced when he was young - please peopl,e I have to tell you he was gifted all through elemantary and middle school, then he punched my dad and my mom called the police, and he was sent to foster care at like 16. Very sad. He still visits my uncle, more than us, because he has money but he's never really helped my brother, and has told me about $1800 my bro owes him, and yes my uncle is very well off. My parents told me to tell him - that it's noone of my business, why are you telling me, when in fact he visits his uncle a lot more than his own family.

I truely from my heart sympathize with a brother living in these trying times. Of course to increase Ibadaa you can pray. And I know, Allah does not accept the prayers of people who work in haram things. Well, for them they still pray anyways. That's the question. Can we survive without dealing in haram. ANd we want a realistic answer - like don't forget how many want to come to North America, and a lot of it is based in haram, interest, alcohol. ANd that is the model that people from Muslim countries are using.

Truely brother, I hope you can be creative. My father was, and he's never received any kind of support from his own family, I always laugh when my father tells me my grandmother was known for being quite religious - yes they all wear hijab....but look at my awful uncle. So tired of the b.s.

Is there anyway you can open an interest free bank - lol.....or start a non-profit organization, collecting for the poor Muslims - so many of them, haram wallah