Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
aviv1978

I Think I May Have Made A Big Mistake

I converted to Islam several months ago. I am israeli and was originally Jewish. I then transitioned to a period of agnosticism and atheism after I joined the army. My Palestinian friend got me interested in Islam and I finally converted several months ago. However, after having gone to Masjid in the NY area regularly for 2-3 months, i've found that I really don't care much for Islam... the practices of your faith, I mean. It is not what I thought it was going to be. I was wondering if there is an official way that I can leave the faith and perhaps re-explore Judaism? ...or is this just something that I should do unofficially and under the table?

Thank You

PropellerAds

My friend, before you do anything drastic I was hoping to share some thoughts with you...

The situation with being a part of the Islamic faith is quite unique. There aren't really any official entry or exit procedures, a person simply chooses in their heart and mind to either accept Islam, or reject it. A person accepting it simply has to believe in their heart that there is only one true deity, being Allah (or God in English) and that Muhammad (peace be upon him) was Allah's final messenger. We then proclaim this belief verbally through the shahada, which I'm sure you would have done.

As for exit, this occurs simply when a person truly believes in their heart that either Allah does not exist, or that Muhammad (pbuh) was not the final prophet. There is no official procedure - it is a procedure of the heart.

Having said all that, let me ask you: Do you no longer believe in Allah and the prophethood of Muhammad (pbuh), or is it simply that you are not ready to perform all the practices of Islam? You see, it is belief that makes a person a Muslim, more so than their level of religious adherence. So a person could be a Muslim, without currently performing all their religious obligations. (Of course, they would be well advised to resume these obligatory practices as soon as possible).

So brother, ask yourself whether or not you believe in Allah. Remember, Islam loves and accepts the Jewish tradition, and reveres Moses (peace be upon him). We only say that the final prophet is Muhammad (pbuh). Islam perfects and completes the three Abrahamic faiths. This is Allah's will, and Allah knows us and our needs better than us.

My wife is a convert to Islam also. I know all too well the cultural and social difficulties a convert is faced with. Often, a convert is disappointed not with Islam, but rather, with the Muslims who mis-represent Islam. When a Muslim does not treat a new Muslim with the love and respect they deserve, that new Muslim has every right to be upset and angry. But this anger should not be projected upon the religion itself. Islam demands that we treat our fellow Muslims, and even non-Muslims, with every respect possible.

Brother, if there is anything we can do to assist you, please tell us. There are many members on these forums who I am sure can offer you the support need in your journey on the path of faith. In the meantime, I urge you to maintain your faith, even if you can not maintain the obligatory practices.

Peace.

Edited by wordVision Student

Student, thank you for your well thought out reply (as always) :sl:

I don't think the guy above is genuine,,probably just a troll looking for attention.., just my gut feeling..let him prove himself first before spending time and effort on yr part..

ard

Student, thank you for your well thought out reply (as always) :sl:

I don't think the guy above is genuine,,probably just a troll looking for attention.., just my gut feeling..let him prove himself first before spending time and effort on yr part..

ard

That's quite a harsh and dumbfounded statement to make.

You don't know if he's a fake. He could be. but not likely. So until you know for sure he is one, perhaps it's better to show a little more respect :sl:

I'm with Ship Wreck on this. Pointing fingers is not really Islamic. You're just proving what Student said about unwelcoming Muslims. Next time, try to be more welcoming/respectful.

I'm with Ship Wreck on this. Pointing fingers is not really Islamic. You're just proving what Student said about unwelcoming Muslims. Next time, try to be more welcoming/respectful.

Well, I did notice that pointing fingers on this forum is what quite a few users do, when the thing they are accusing someone of is usually what they indeed are. Just an observation from about 4 incidents so far.

Maybe the brother was in a bad mood, but still, it's best to be respectful.

Now, aviv1978, perhaps you can reply back and tell us a bit more about your situation brother.

I've decided to stay with the faith on a provisional basis. I'd like to reserve the right to officially return to Judaism at any time. What I do now is a compromise between the two: When I say my prayers - although I speak of the Prophet (pbuH) - I picture Moses in my head. I figure that if I do this, I am playing it safe, either way.

Salam Aviv;

I think you should understand that what you are doing doesn't make sense. In Islam your actions and intentions have to be based upon the teachings of the Quran and the Sunnah of Prophet Mohammed(pbuh). God is fully aware of whats in your heart and your intentions. There's a famous hadith of Prophet Mohammed(pbuh); which says that, even if Moses-Musa (AS) was alive today he would have to follow him i.e what he brought(The Quran). The Torah revealed to Prophet Moses(AS) was for the Children of israel; then came many Prophets to guide the Children of israel. The Quran was not revealed for just one group of people, but it's the final revelation for the mankind.

What concerns do you have about Islam; that is causing you to have doubts. Share with us; so we can show you the Muslim perspective; which may comfort you.

Salaam.

When I say my prayers - although I speak of the Prophet (pbuH) - I picture Moses in my head. I figure that if I do this, I am playing it safe, either way.

Do neither of these terrible things. Pray to God alone, without any partners or intermediaries.

Frankly, I'm tempted to dismiss you as a troll but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Salam.

Salam

Those who really want to find the truth will find it and those who truly desire to be guided will receive guidance, but those who don't really want to find the truth by heart will not be successful and will be guided to people who practice Islam wrongly.

I know a non-Muslim person who met a Muslim who was a bad example. He taught her how to recognize that extreme from the normal Muslims. He said that extreme Muslims pray five times a day. If you are truly seeking the truth you will find it.