Islamic Forum
Imaan_

Help With Dua'a

Asalamalakum, dear brothers & sisters :sl:

Happy New Year to you all!

I was reading the 99 Names of Allah, and I was curious -- it tells you "Say this 100 times, say that 1000 times in this time spand..." -- how do you know you've said this name 100 times or 1000 times?

Do you keep a tally? Do you just know?

PropellerAds

:sl:

In general, when making a dhikr that has a specific number - for example, saying "SubhanAllah" "Alhamdulillah" and "Allahu Akbar" 33 times each after prayer and before sleeping ("Allahu Akbar" is said 34 times before sleeping instead of 33) - it helps to use your fingers to count as prophet Muhammad :sl: used to do this and it was reported that he said "Count with your finger tips, for they will be asked and they will be made to speak." So the Sunnah is to use one's fingers.

For the dhikr I mentioned above, here are their Hadiths:

Abu Hurayrah reported from the Messenger of Allaah :no:: “Whoever glorifies Allaah (says Subhaan Allaah) thirty-three times immediately after each prayer, and praises Allaah (says Al-hamdu Lillaah) thirty-three times, and magnifies Allaah (says Allaahu akbar) thirty-three times, this makes ninety-nine, then to complete one hundred says Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah wahdahu laa shareeka lahu, lahu’l-mulk wa lahu’l-hamd wa huwa ‘ala kulli shay’in qadeer (There is no god except Allaah Alone, with no partner, His is the power and His is the praise, and He is Able to do all things) – his sins will be forgiven even if they are like the foam of the sea.†(Reported by Muslim, 939).

Ali ibn Abi Taalib said that Faatimah came to the Prophet :j: and asked him for a servant. He said, “Shall I not tell you of something that is better for you than that? When you go to sleep, say ‘Subhaan Allaah’ thirty-three times, ‘Al-hamdu Lillah’ thirty-three times, and ‘Allaahu akbar’ thirty four times.†(Reported by al-Bukhaari, 4943).

In this specific case, saying Allah's names 100 times or 20 times is not a tradition that comes from prophet Muhammad. Of course, there are people who believe that there are good innovations, but personally, I would avoid doing this because there are a vast number of prescribed supplications that a Muslim can make, and it's better to leave doubtful matters for certain ones. Here is an article, I hope it helps.

Ruling on Reciting the Names of Allaah in certain combinations

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/3927/99%20names"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/3927/99%20names[/url]

Number of people tell me if you say so-and-so X amount of times then you will get such and such reward e.g. reciting the 99 names of Allah in certain combnations and quantities will do certain things .

Praise be to Allaah.

This question was answered for us by Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Munayyi’, who said:

“This is not permissible, and if he believes in it, it is bid’ah.â€

Every dhikr that involves reciting a certain number of times, or in a certain place, or at a certain time, or in a certain manner, that is not prescribed in sharee’ah, is bid’ah. With regard to the Most Beautiful Names of Allaah, the way to use these in worship is to call upon Allaah by these Names, as He says (interpretation of the meaning), “And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call on Him by them…†[al-A’raaf 7:180]. Merely reciting them in certain combinations is not a prescribed form of worship. And Allaah knows best.