Islamic Forum

Here's my issue: it's totally irrational to jump into traffic to avoid my puppy when I'm walking down the street (as the Muslim community in my town often). I understand they and all other meat-eating land mammals are 'unclean' in your religion, but, to me, that's just beyond ridiculous. How can a religion like that and Western society ever get along?

PropellerAds

Hello,

I'm sure other people will give you other answers but here is my take on the issue: yes in Islam dogs are unclean animals but we can keep them as guard dogs as long as they are not allowed to enter the main house where prayers are performed.

Okay as for the issue of jumping into traffic to avoid puppies.. that is kinda silly.. agreed! What happened? was it carrying rabies :sl:?? probably not.. but let me tell you that half knowledge is worse than having no knowledge.. some people just learn the very basics of Islam and/or they learn it from someone else and then they add bits and pieces to put the bigger picture together. If that is the case then maybe thats why they do it.

However let me also add some people might just have a fear of dogs lol.. even if its a puppy!

Edit: thought about another thing.. if dogs touch our clothes then those clothes are not fit to pray in.. so when one does the 5 daily prayers we have to change.. maybe they avoid your puppy so that it doesn't touch their clothes? just a passing thought..

Hasib's answer was MUCH more helpful, thank you. So the fear of touching them isn't valid, it's just a condition of ritual cleanness. Honestly, that's irrational to me--right on par with Christian and Judiac traditions--but it at least makes a lot more sense now.

Thank you.

Hi multilied,

If it makes you feel better one of the four valid schools in Islam permits keeping dogs.

But as above the majority are concerned about ritual purity.

That's something I never got. How are carnivores unclean yet we, despite being carnivores, are just fine? Besides, how many dogs ever eat a single piace of meat anymore? It's all nutrient pellets and the like it seems. :sl:

Edited by David M.K.

:sl: brother

all carnivors aren't unclean. cats can roam around the house and even sit on your lap. dogs carry the rabies infection even in their saliva.so they are unclean. it's ok to have them as guard dogs but not inside the house.

It is mainly a cleanliness issue. I would like to add that jurists differ with the cleanliness of the dog. The main issues are the impurities and potential disease-carrying bacteria that may be transmitted from the dog's fur and saliva.

In some parts of the Muslim world, it is common to keep dogs for hunting purposes. The only things extra they do is to take the necessary steps to cleanse one self after touching the dog, and keeping the dog separately from one's house, like having a kennel in some homes in Western countries.

There is nothing in Islam that says all carnivores are unclean. The general guideline is to cleanse oneself after being in contact with any animal. Its just that cleanliness is more emphasized for coming in contact with dogs, because of its characteristics which have been mentioned.

:sl: brother

all carnivors aren't unclean. cats can roam around the house and even sit on your lap. dogs carry the rabies infection even in their saliva.so they are unclean. it's ok to have them as guard dogs but not inside the house.

If that's truly the issue then dogs should be considered clean, rabies vaccinations are mandated by law (at least in the USA) and most Western people place dogs on pedestals, sometimes equal or even above humans and thus take great pains to keep their dogs clean. As they say, a dog's saliva is cleaner then a human's. It's untrue but there's a reason people believe it.

Now wolves, coyotes, jackals, ect. I understand.

Edited by David M.K.

If that's truly the issue then dogs should be considered clean, rabies vaccinations are mandated by law (at least in the USA) and most Western people place dogs on pedestals, sometimes equal or even above humans and thus take great pains to keep their dogs clean. As they say, a dog's saliva is cleaner then a human's. It's untrue but there's a reason people believe it.

Now wolves, coyotes, jackals, ect. I understand.

I even heard my science teacher say, a rabbits dropping is clean than compares to humans droppings... :/

I even heard my science teacher say, a rabbits dropping is clean than compares to humans droppings... :/

Well this is a fact, humans are dirtier then rats. I currently carry chickenpox, a dozen or so strands of influenza and cold viruses, strip throat and who knows what else. I daily interact with meat, some of it rotting, garbage and other such dirty items and environments and live in a house witch like all houses is on average more polluted then the outdoors.

Just about every human is in a similar or worse situation. Indeed roaches clean themselves more often then we do, about every 8 minuets to our once a day.

I dont consider it a cleanliness issue. The rulings come from various hadith.

Its a bit like the eating pig issue. Some Muslims will tell you its because they are unclean which may be true but the bottom line is eating pig is clearly forbidden.

Edited by Aussie

Well this thread is one month old so maybe no one will read my response.

I am a 67 year old recent revert to Islam with two wolf-dogs that I am very close to. They are strictly outside animals for their health and because they can then catch rabbits etc..... Are these two dogs somehow "unclean"? When I read a statement like this I am reminded of ancient traditions. In the case of dogs I would bet that this is no more than a rule which predates Islam. Why? That's easy. Dogs are scavengers. These are "unclean" just because of their association with that which is perceived as being "filth". Things like dead flesh a couple of days old being eaten by them. A hungry dog will eat anything. I choose to believe this is just a carry over from ancient times. Will I ignore it? Let's put it this way. My attraction to Islam is based upon the purity of the Quran and in the practice of prayer. I choose to believe that dogs in America today are far from those of 7th century Arabia in both social status and cleanliness. The saliva from my two beautiful wolves is cleaner than mine I would suspect. The vultures which fly around my ranch are a different story. They are carrion predators. It is easy to think of them as being unclean.

I accept Islam but I am not from the middle east and have no intention of adopting any ancient and foreign cultural beliefs which clearly have no relevance today.

JY

Assalamualaikum James,

The scholars of the Maliki madhab do not consider dogs to be a problem. I advise you try to find someone who can teach you that madhab. No madhab is superior to any other and all four are all valid and accepted. But if you for example learn the Shaffi school your prayer might not be valid if you come into contact with one of you dogs but if you stick with the Malikis, follow their understanding of purification and prayer, you can be sure you will be safe when asked on the day of judgment. Try not to mix and match rulings or you might end up with worship which is not valid in any school.

The problem is there are not very many people who know or are capable of teaching the madhab. Most Maliki's are from north Africa.

There is an online course but its not offered every semester: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetsunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Academy/OnlineCourses/Law/Essentials-of-Islam-Maliki.aspx"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetsunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Academy/OnlineCou...lam-Maliki.aspx[/url]

Otherwise you could try Zaytuna institute. I believe Shaykh Hamza Yusuf is a Maliki and I have a feeling that Ust Yayah Rhodes is qualified to teach it as well. Allahu Alam

InshAllah, He knows your intention and with him is success.

Wassalam,

Aussie