Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SinisterDarkness

Europe Identity Crisis

I noticed that European countries have taken several steps that has lead me to believe people feel their culture and identity is being threatened. What could be the cause of this?

In Britain some citizens have turned towards the BNP. It is a party that is considered racist. In addition I often hear the phrase, ‘‘what is it to be British?’’ In Britain there has been many demonstrations conducted by right-wing organisations, to tackle ‘‘extreme Islam.’’ From my experience, the presence of Masjids disturbs some British citizens.

In Sweden, according to the BBC, Muslims are often blamed for the society’s problems. A survey conducted by Taylor Nelson Sofres, concluded 56% of Swedish citizens believe Islamic fundamentalism is a serious threat to their country.

In Germany according to the BBC, Muslim immigrants were considered guest workers and though one day they would leave the country, however this was not the case. Now the government is trying to tackle racist violence through a range of strategies. I heard a Muslim woman was stabbed in the court too.

In France the government wishes to prevent women wearing the Niqaab and the Hijab. In general the French government dislikes religious symbols.

In Switzerland, the public voted to ban minarets.

So what is going on here? One thing all those countries have in common is they are part of the European Union with an exception of Switzerland. Switzerland would like to avoid joining the EU. I concluded people feel their national identity is threatened. When change occurs within countries, some people embrace them while others form groups and dislike change. People then find someone or something to blame, I personally believe many European citizens view Islam as a threat however I disagree. Islam was never a problem before 9/11. I believe the European Union is what people are afraid of and Islam is simply a red herring.

More countries that join the EU, we will see a rise in immigration and people will experience different cultures. Counties like Switzerland would try to avoid joining the EU. Many European citizens have turned towards nationalism to ensure their identity is not threatened, however nationalism itself is a flawed and racist concept in my personal opinion. I will elaborate further on my beliefs on nationalism, however I’m too lazy at the moment.

Share your views.

PropellerAds
I noticed that European countries have taken several steps that has lead me to believe people feel their culture and identity is being threatened. What could be the cause of this?

In Britain some citizens have turned towards the BNP. It is a party that is considered racist. In addition I often hear the phrase, ‘‘what is it to be British?’’ In Britain there has been many demonstrations conducted by right-wing organisations, to tackle ‘‘extreme Islam.’’ From my experience, the presence of Masjids disturbs some British citizens.

In Sweden, according to the BBC, Muslims are often blamed for the society’s problems. A survey conducted by Taylor Nelson Sofres, concluded 56% of Swedish citizens believe Islamic fundamentalism is a serious threat to their country.

In Germany according to the BBC, Muslim immigrants were considered guest workers and though one day they would leave the country, however this was not the case. Now the government is trying to tackle racist violence through a range of strategies. I heard a Muslim woman was stabbed in the court too.

In France the government wishes to prevent women wearing the Niqaab and the Hijab. In general the French government dislikes religious symbols.

In Switzerland, the public voted to ban minarets.

So what is going on here? One thing all those countries have in common is they are part of the European Union with an exception of Switzerland. Switzerland would like to avoid joining the EU. I concluded people feel their national identity is threatened. When change occurs within countries, some people embrace them while others form groups and dislike change. People then find someone or something to blame, I personally believe many European citizens view Islam as a threat however I disagree. Islam was never a problem before 9/11. I believe the European Union is what people are afraid of and Islam is simply a red herring.

More countries that join the EU, we will see a rise in immigration and people will experience different cultures. Counties like Switzerland would try to avoid joining the EU. Many European citizens have turned towards nationalism to ensure their identity is not threatened, however nationalism itself is a flawed and racist concept in my personal opinion. I will elaborate further on my beliefs on nationalism, however I’m too lazy at the moment.

Share your views.

Nationalism isn't racism, it's just hyper-patriotism. I will admit it has a nasty habit of becoming racist, however.

As to the subject at hand, I agree with your assessment. The same can be said for America, however Islam is the fastest growing religion here and 70% of American Muslims are reverts, so simple math forcing people to just accept the inevitable and immigration being a non-issue I think is helping smooth thing over more here then in Europe.

Nationalism isn't racism, it's just hyper-patriotism. I will admit it has a nasty habit of becoming racist, however.

I'll start by defining nationalism: -

1. desire for political independence: the desire to achieve political independence, especially by a country under foreign control or by a people with a separate identity and culture but no state of their own.

2. patriotism: proud loyalty and devotion to a nation.

3. excessive devotion to nation: excessive or fanatical devotion to a nation and its interests, often associated with a belief that one country is superior to all others.

Nationalism itself is not racism however it can lead towards racism. As you said nationalism takes in the form of hyper-patriotism. The whole concept of nationalism is based upon pride for your country, however something I never understood. How can you be proud of something when you do not have any control over it? No one chooses where they are born, just like no one chooses the colour of their skin. I believe people are proud of their nation to feel superior than to other nations or they have insecurities and want to be part of something. Nationalism causes divide and racism which is why I concluded it to be flawed and racist concept.