Islamic Forum
wattle

Afghanistan To Make The T20 World Cup?

There's a pretty good chance that Afghanistan (having beaten Ireland and Scotland) will get through the qualifying rounds to be a contestant in the T20 World Cup (T20 is a short form of cricket, currently very hot). That's amazing.

I imagine that there will be no shortage of hard-line Islamists telling them that playing cricket is un-Islamic, and perhaps the Taliban will denounce them, possibly threaten to attack them. If they do, it will be another PR disaster for the Taliban, on a par with destroying the Buddhas.

PropellerAds

The problem is most sporting events that take place around the world contains an element of nationalism, where two countries are competing against each other. Participating in sports is fine and should be encouraged, though I'm strongly against sports on the basis of nationalism.

Islam is against nationalism, so Muslims cannot participate in these types of sporting events. Just last year I think there was the Egypt/Algeria football riots? In football matches, hooligans shout racial slurs.

So yeah...though of course, people should not use violence to stop these events. That is dumb lol

Edited by SinisterDarkness

If you're against sports "based on nationalism", how would you suggest that teams from different countries could ever play each other? And, if you're against nationalism in sport, are you also against regionalism, city-ism, suburbism? Any sports team is going to represent someone, even if it's just the families of the players.

However, you needn't fear nationalism in cricket. Sure, there will be people supporting teams simply because the are from their own countr, but there will also be people NOT supporting teams simply because the are from their own country. (I'm Australian - about the only time I give my cricket team unqualified support is when we're playing South Africa.) And if Afghanistan gets into the Cup, practically everyone will be supporting Afghanistan.

If you're against sports "based on nationalism", how would you suggest that teams from different countries could ever play each other?

Do we really need to have countries compete against each other? To be honest, I think it is pointless, then again I'm not mad about sports. I just see sports as keeping you healthy and having fun. The amount of planning and regulations to organise these events could be better used to advance science, technology or even improving relationships between countries and sorting out poverty.

I'm certain we can worry about more important things.

And, if you're against nationalism in sport, are you also against regionalism, city-ism, suburbism? Any sports team is going to represent someone, even if it's just the families of the players.

Interesting, I never thought about that. Again I see sports as just having fun and keeping you healthy. If people want to play against each other, go ahead and do so. If people want to hold competitions, then thats fine. No one is stopping anyone.

Regionalism means...

1. division into administrative areas: the policy of dividing a political territory into areas with separate administrations, or support for such a policy

I don't see why sports and the above should ever mix.... O_o

However, you needn't fear nationalism in cricket. Sure, there will be people supporting teams simply because the are from their own countr, but there will also be people NOT supporting teams simply because the are from their own country. (I'm Australian - about the only time I give my cricket team unqualified support is when we're playing South Africa.) And if Afghanistan gets into the Cup, practically everyone will be supporting Afghanistan.

Not fear, it creates divide. I see people getting very worked up when Pakistan and India have a cricket match. Its all supposed to be about fun, however that is not always the case. I'm Pakistani, and my friends get worked up when Pakistan and India have a cricket match, geez kinda borderline madness.

My views on nationalism from this topic -------------> (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=730880.html&"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=730880.html&[/url]

1 . desire for political independence: the desire to achieve political independence, especially by a country under foreign control or by a people with a separate identity and culture but no state of their own.

2. patriotism: proud loyalty and devotion to a nation.

3. excessive devotion to nation: excessive or fanatical devotion to a nation and its interests, often associated with a belief that one country is superior to all others.

^ Defining nationalism

Nationalism itself is not racism however it can lead towards racism. As you said nationalism takes in the form of hyper-patriotism. The whole concept of nationalism is based upon pride for your country, however something I never understood. How can you be proud of something when you do not have any control over it? No one chooses where they are born, just like no one chooses the colour of their skin. I believe people are proud of their nation to feel superior than to other nations or they have insecurities and want to be part of something. Nationalism causes divide and racism which is why I concluded it to be flawed and racist concept.

^ That and sports should never mix. I guess the above could apply to regionalism too.

Do we really need to have countries compete against each other? To be honest, I think it is pointless, then again I'm not mad about sports. I just see sports as keeping you healthy and having fun.

We need to in the sense that we want to. If you're the best badminton player in your countrystate/city/street, you are going to want to compete against the best from other countries/states/cities/streets. It's more fun to compete against people who might beat you than people who you know cannot.

The amount of planning and regulations to organise these events could be better used to advance science, technology or even improving relationships between countries and sorting out poverty.

The same applies to an awful lot of things humans do. The alternative is a sort of Stalinist state.

Interesting, I never thought about that. Again I see sports as just having fun and keeping you healthy. If people want to play against each other, go ahead and do so. If people want to hold competitions, then thats fine. No one is stopping anyone.

No, but you're against sports teams based on countries/regions/cities/suburbs/streets. Unless you envisage some sort of random selection to teams based on te entire world's population, it's hard to see an alternative to this. And even if there was a competition based on some sort of random selection, people would still decide that they had favourite teams and support them.

Not fear, it creates divide. I see people getting very worked up when Pakistan and India have a cricket match. Its all supposed to be about fun, however that is not always the case. I'm Pakistani, and my friends get worked up when Pakistan and India have a cricket match, geez kinda borderline madness.

That's a reflection of their countries' hostility to each other, not a cause of it.

That and sports should never mix. I guess the above could apply to regionalism too.

Possibly, but the mere eistence of national teams does not mean that it does mix. As I said, if Afghanistan makes the T20 World Cup competition, the great majority of spectators will be supporting them.

We need to in the sense that we want to. If you're the best badminton player in your countrystate/city/street, you are going to want to compete against the best from other countries/states/cities/streets. It's more fun to compete against people who might beat you than people who you know cannot.

That is all fine, however it does not matter where the person comes from. If all the best players were competing each other thats good. Where your born does not determine how well you perform.

The same applies to an awful lot of things humans do. The alternative is a sort of Stalinist state.

I never said to ban it or anything like that, just said we do have other issues to worry about.

No, but you're against sports teams based on countries/regions/cities/suburbs/streets. Unless you envisage some sort of random selection to teams based on te entire world's population, it's hard to see an alternative to this. And even if there was a competition based on some sort of random selection, people would still decide that they had favourite teams and support them.

Yes even I can't think of an alternative, but probably there might be in the future.

I just say people play sports for fun and where you come from does not matter. That should be more important.

That's a reflection of their countries' hostility to each other, not a cause of it.

It does not help build a peaceful relationship between the countries.

Possibly, but the mere eistence of national teams does not mean that it does mix.

Yeah I agree that they don't always mix, but they have mixed in the past. Especially in football :/

Didn't they lose to Netherlands? I thought they were out? Anyways I hope they make it! I would be so happy and so will all my afghan friends haha. Would be awesome to watch.. Although I would be supporting Pakistan the CHAMPS!! :sl:

Anyways, if in the future there is an Islamic State that does not allow Cricket I am alhumdulillah 100% fine with that.

Didn't they lose to Netherlands? I thought they were out? Anyways I hope they make it! I would be so happy and so will all my afghan friends haha. Would be awesome to watch.. Although I would be supporting Pakistan the CHAMPS!! :sl:

Anyways, if in the future there is an Islamic State that does not allow Cricket I am alhumdulillah 100% fine with that.

Cricket is fine but Muslims should be aware that most sports, contains an element of nationalism.

The only sport that I know of that Islam prohibits is competitive boxing.

If you have time try to read a book called "The places in between" by Rory Stewart.

He walks across Afganisthan 3 months after 9-11.. its quite interesting and for those who know nothing about this country it gives a very good insight into their lives and communities.

It does not help build a peaceful relationship between the countries.

That's where we're going to fundamentally disagree. I think that international cricket does help build peaceful relations, albeit in a small way. If it wasn't for test cricket the average xenophobic Australian would not know of a West Indian, an Indian, a Pakistani, a South African a New Zealander, a Sri Lankan person to admire. Viv Richards, Sachin Tendulkar, Shoaib Akbar, Mkayah Mtini, Daniel Vittori, Aruvinda daSilva and many, many others are admired here. They are taken seriously when they say something, they are often interviewed in the media. Their feats have become parts of people's personal histories (India's amazing fifth-day defeat of Australia at Kolkata in 2001 is one of my favourite sporting moments). People take enjoyment from their feats. People travel to their countries to watch them play.

Didn't they lose to Netherlands? I thought they were out?

AFAIK they're definitely in.

That's where we're going to fundamentally disagree. I think that international cricket does help build peaceful relations, albeit in a small way. If it wasn't for test cricket the average xenophobic Australian would not know of a West Indian, an Indian, a Pakistani, a South African a New Zealander, a Sri Lankan person to admire. Viv Richards, Sachin Tendulkar, Shoaib Akbar, Mkayah Mtini, Daniel Vittori, Aruvinda daSilva and many, many others are admired here. They are taken seriously when they say something, they are often interviewed in the media. Their feats have become parts of people's personal histories (India's amazing fifth-day defeat of Australia at Kolkata in 2001 is one of my favourite sporting moments). People take enjoyment from their feats. People travel to their countries to watch them play.

In a small way? The benefits do not exceed well...the bad consequences that arise from international sports. (I know badly put :/)

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/australia/4670676.stm"]BBC [/url] <------------ X_X

Though racism in cricket is not as bad as football. Racism in football is crazy, like Egypt /Algeria. O_o

Sporting events can bring people together but there are other ways to do so. Like why not arrange students to visit another country and learn about other people's culture/religion and achievements. I admit the western nations have tried to tackle racism and xenophobia far more effectively than compared to countries in Asia.

I'm not calling a ban to international sports, but I think some changes should be made. Less emphasis on where these people come from. It would be very unrealistic to call for a stop on major sporting events.

If Egypt and Algeria were two provinces of a Caliphate, presumably exactly the same thing would happen. And don't forget that football hooligans wreak at least as much havoc in domestic competitions as they do in international ones.

However, I'm talking specifically about cricket. There are no 'cricket hooligans' - the nearest to it is England's Barmy Army, which is noisy but good-natured and sometimes witty. Read a random cricket fan's blog and there's a good chance that they'll be as amusingly scathing about their country's players as they are of the opposition, and it's likely that their favourite players will be from all arounf the cricket-playing world. I really cannot think of a downside to international cricket.

If Egypt and Algeria were two provinces of a Caliphate, presumably exactly the same thing would happen. And don't forget that football hooligans wreak at least as much havoc in domestic competitions as they do in international ones.

Well they would not be called Egypt or Algeria within an Islamic State. We would only have the state divided into areas due to policy making. Of course, the Islamic government will combat any signs of regionalism.

However, I'm talking specifically about cricket.

Okay.

I really cannot think of a downside to international cricket.

Fine.

I imagine that there will be no shortage of hard-line Islamists telling them that playing cricket is un-Islamic, and perhaps the Taliban will denounce them, possibly threaten to attack them. If they do, it will be another PR disaster for the Taliban, on a par with destroying the Buddhas.

Talibans really haunt you in your side of the world, don't they? And you must love them that you should care about their PR disaster.

It's a sad life that you are leading with all your own imagination, scenarios hoping and expecting Taliban to do this, to do that, according to your mind. I worry more about you that you may be the one that really wants this scenario to happen more than the taliban ever want, just to prove that you are right. You know there are many freaks out there.

Wassalam,

Yasnov

Edited by Yasnov

Well they would not be called Egypt or Algeria within an Islamic State.

Really? Surely there were regional governors under the previous Caliphate, and surely their regions had names. Anyway, even if there were no regional names, a team from Cairo playing a team from Algiers would produce the same problems as an Egyptian and Algerian team.

Really? Surely there were regional governors under the previous Caliphate, and surely their regions had names. Anyway, even if there were no regional names, a team from Cairo playing a team from Algiers would produce the same problems as an Egyptian and Algerian team.

Ah no. I'm talking about policy making.

In an Islamic State, lets say we have several countries that joined:

Pakistan

Egypt

France (lol)

China O_o

Algeria

America X_X

North Korea! :X

It would be very difficult for administrative purposes to divide the region like that. We would have to further divide those countries into smaller regions. So in an Islamic State, we would divide Pakistan into several regions, thus Pakistan name would not exist. We can always re-name them. I see the use of regions purely for administrative purposes.

In a Islamic State, Muslims will view each other as equally. If not, the government will take appropriate action to tackle this problem. Most Muslims don't even know Islam is against nationalism, therefore they need to be educated.

Teams from different regions competing against each other, there will be less emphasis on where they have come from, thus solving regionalism. Besides with strict law against criminals, I doubt people would disrupt these matches or behave like jokers.

Well, yes, I agree that it's possible that legal means could reduce football hooliganism, but that's nowhere near the same thing as saying that having teams identified with different cities or regions is inherently bad.

I also think that it's unlikely that regionalism could be eradicated - or even that it would be a good thing if it was. Different regions have different cultures and any state which ignored that would be highly artificial and probably cause regional tensions. You're predicating you thinking on the idea that being different is inevitably a cause of problems. I agree that it can be, but it isn't necessarily the case. Eliminating difference to try to solve the problem is a misguided approach, IMHO.

There are cultural, anatomical, geopraphical, historical reasons why the West Indies had a great cricket team based on fearsome fast bowlers, the Indian team's strength has always been its ability to play spin bowling, the New Zealand team is unlikely to ever be best in the world. Ignoring those reasons is to ignore reality.