Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ewany

Um.. Can We Really Celebrate Mawlid?

Um.. Can we really celebrate Mawlid?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Um.. Can we really celebrate Mawlid?

• No!
    • Yes!

Salam. So the upcoming event Mawlidul Rasul is near, which is on the 26th of Feb, Friday. A question popped out my head. Can we really celebrate Mawlidul Rasul? Oh btw for those of you who don't know it means the Birthday of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). Many people have been organizing this and that~ but I don't know I thought in Islam, we only have two official celebrations? Which are the Eid Ul Fitr and Eid Ul Adha. Some scholars have different opinion which made me even more confuse and I don't know the real answer. Please if theres proof like some kind of hadith stated about this or something, please do share. Let me know what are your opinion. Oh, and please do answer the poll above. Hehe. Salam.

PropellerAds

The Mawlid: A Time to Celebrate

by Dr. Muhammad Abduh Yamani

"No-one could deny that gathering to listen to the career of the Master of the Messengers is one of the most desirable of all activities. It can yield a whole range of blessings and benefits, as long as it takes place in a proper Islamic atmosphere without any reprehensible innovations or distortions."

"The Blessed Prophet was keenly aware of the connection of the flow of time with the great religious events of the past. Whenever the time of year recalled such an event, he would seize the opportunity to commemorate it, and call to mind its significance."

Every year, when the month of Rabi al-Awwal comes around once again, bringing in its train the night of the twelfth, it seems to us as if the whole world is perfumed by the memory of the birth of the Final Messenger, may Allah's blessings and peace be upon him. Countless millions of Muslims in every corner of the earth fix their thoughts on his birth, by re-reading his biography and learning from his unique values and qualities. For he was the Unlettered Prophet, in whose human essence were combined and perfected every noble and generous trait of character: the best of all role-models, of whom Allah Himself has said: "Truly, yours is a tremendous character."

Without the slightest doubt, the best way of commemorating this most noble of all birthdays is in reciting the story of his life, to adults and to children, in order to accustom them to the love of Allah's great Messenger.

My own mother, may Allah show her soul mercy, used to put us in the habit of sitting down and reading the sira books. Even though she herself could neither read nor write, she knew much of the sira by heart, and would constantly encourage her family and neighbours to become intimately familiar with the beautiful life-story of the Prophet.

No-one could deny that gathering to listen to the career of the Master of the Messengers is one of the most desirable of all activities. It can yield a whole range of blessings and benefits, as long as it takes place in a proper Islamic atmosphere without any reprehensible innovations or distortions. Needless to say, the life of the Prophet, upon him be blessings and peace, can and should be commemorated at any time of the year. Nonetheless, when he is remembered in Rabi al-Awwal, people's attachment to him grows even stronger, for the simple reason that it was in this month that he was born. At this special time, when the impulse to gather for this purpose is at its strongest, one feels an overwhelming sense of connection between our time and his, as the present reminds us of the past, and helps us to bring to mind and relate to events which took place many centuries ago.

The love of the Prophet, and the joy which his birth and career have brought to us, bring every imaginable kind of good thing to a true Muslim. Even an unbeliever can benefit from his birth. The idolator Abu Lahab, one of the greatest enemies of Islam, was pleased when one Monday he heard the news that Muhammad had been born: and he freed his slave-girl Thuwaiba who had brought him the news. We are told that because of this deed his punishment in the grave is reduced every Monday. This hadith, which is narrated by Imam Bukhari, inspired Imam Shams al-Din al-Dimashqi to write:

If an unbeliever, condemned by the Quran to eternal pain,

Can be relieved every Monday through his joy at Ahmad,

Then what must a true servant of God hope to gain,

When with the truth of Tawhid he felt joy at Ahmad?

The Prophet himself, may Allah bless him, used to commemorate his birthday, thanking his Lord for His great kindness to him. He would express this commemoration by fasting, as we are told in a hadith narrated by Imam Muslim. The methods by which his birthday may be celebrated vary widely, but the objective is the same: whether in fasting, giving food to the poor, gathering for the remembrance (dhikr) of Allah or calling down blessings upon His Messenger, and listening to the story of his virtues and mighty achievements.

Allah has commanded us Muslims to rejoice at the things by which His grace and mercy comes to us. In the Holy Quran we read: 'Say, by Allah's grace and mercy; and let them be made joyful by this!' (Yunus, 58.) And we have never received any mercy greater than the Prophet himself: 'We sent you only as a mercy to the worlds.' (Anbiya, 107.)

The Blessed Prophet was keenly aware of the connection of the flow of time with the great religious events of the past. Whenever the time of year recalled such an event, he would seize the opportunity to commemorate it, and call to mind its significance.

There are many examples of this. For instance, when he first arrived at Madina, he found the Jews fasting on the Day of Ashoura. When he enquired about this practice, he was told, 'They fast on this day because Allah rescued their prophet on this day, and drowned their enemy, so that they fast it in gratitude to Allah for this blessing.' And the Prophet remarked: 'We have even more right to Moses than have they!', and ordered that the Muslims should fast on that day as well.

For all these reasons, every year during the month of the Mawlid I devote my time to the great books of the Sira, spending some time enjoying their shade and cool breezes. I recall to my mind the episodes and events of his unique career from the time when the light of Muhammad first shone upon the world: the Arbitration at the Ka'ba, the Beginning of Revelation, the trials and sufferings endured while calling men to Allah, the Hijra, the great and heroic battles against paganism and misguidance, the creation of the Islamic State, the Farewell Pilgrimage, and finally, the moment when revelation to earth came to its conclusive end with the demise of the Blessed Prophet and his passing-on to the Highest Companion in Heaven.

During this month, I spend as much time as I can in this blessed company. This is despite the fact that these astonishing and moving events remain in my thoughts and reflections during the entire year, forming a constant guide, reference and inspiration, as I remember the actions and deeds of him whose every action and deed had the purpose of educating the human race.

Yesterday, my wife came to me while I was engrossed in my reading. She looked at the book before me, and saw that it was about the Mawlid, open at the page where the greatest of all sira writers Ibn Ishaq says: 'Allah's Messenger, may He bless and keep him, was born on Monday, during the twelfth night of Rabi al-Awwal, in the Year of the Elephant.'

She asked me this interesting question: 'Why was he born during that month, rather than during Ramadan, the month when the Quran was revealed, or in one of the Sacred Months, which Allah rendered sacred on the day He created the heavens and the earth? Or even in Sha'ban, the month which contains the blessed Night of Mid-Sha'ban?'

She stopped, and looked at me for an answer. I looked again at the book, and searched for a clue, but without success. So I asked her to give me a little time to allow me to read and do some thinking.

I fell silent and began asking myself: Why did the Almighty Creator decree that this noble Prophet should come into the world on Monday the twelfth of Rabi al-Awwal? Why this date in particular? There must be some exquisite wisdom in this choice: but where and what?

I pulled out the great works of Sira, and turned their pages. I read the words of the scholars and historians of Islam, trying to unearth the secret of this divine decision. After hours of reading and contemplation, the books gave me four subtle indications which together point to the answer.

Firstly, in a hadith we read that Allah created the tree on Monday. This can be taken to mean that the creation of sustenance, fruits and all the good things of the earth upon which the children of Adam depend for their life, and which give them medicines to heal them, and whose very sight brings them rest and joy: all this was decreed to come into existence on this day.

The Prophet, upon him be peace, also came into the world on this day, as a cause of rapture and joy. He is associated with it in other ways also: according to Ibn Abbas, 'Allah's Messenger was born on a Monday, became a Prophet on a Monday, and raised up the Black Stone on a Monday.'

Secondly, we should recall that the Arabic name of the month of his birth signifies the season of spring: the time of rebirth and renewal. Shaykh Abu Abd al-Rahman al-Siqilli writes: 'Every human being is associated in some way with his name and circumstances in time. When we look at the season of spring, we see that it is the time when the Blessed Lord splits open the earth to reveal His bounty within, without which His servants could not subsist. Seeds split open and produce countless kinds of plant, which make all who see them rejoice. Though silent, they mutely proclaim the news of the imminent and delightful ripening of their fruit. Now, the Birthday of the Prophet, may Allah bless him, resembles this closely. His birth in the month of this name gives good tidings of the greatest forms of sustenance and protection for the believers. It proclaims Allah's mercy, the greatest of which is His granting guidance, through His messenger, to the Straight Path.'

Thirdly, Shaykh Muhammad Yusuf al-Salihi writes: 'Can you not see that the season of spring is both the most beautiful and moderate of seasons, free of both bitter cold or stifling heat, or exaggerated length in its days or nights? It is the time of year when people feel most refreshed and whole, so that they can enjoy the pleasure of prayer at night, and of fasting during the day. All of this symbolises and resembles the moderation and healthfulness of the Sunna and the Law which the Prophet brought.'

Fourthly, it would seem to be the case that the Wise God sometimes wishes to ennoble times through events, not events through times. A time otherwise left vacant can thereby be filled with a special quality from which people can derive benefit.

Obviously, if the Blessed Prophet had been born in Ramadan, or one of the Sacred Months, or in the holy month of Sha'ban, some people might think that it was he himself who was being ennobled by these times because of their great merit. But it was Allah's wise decree that he be born in Rabi al-Awwal in order to ennoble that month, and to display Allah's care and good providence for His Prophet. As an Arab poet has written:

Allah gave good news of you to the heavens, and they were adorned,

The soil of the earth turned to musk when it heard of you.

A day whose dawn is part of history,

And whose evening is made luminous by Muhammad!

To sum up what I have been trying to say: celebrations of the Mawlid are nothing other than a revival of the memory of the Chosen One. When this is done in the context of an Islamically-learned circle of knowledge and remembrance, in which the manners of our Islamic religion are observed, it is something which the great scholars approve of strongly. It provides a superb opportunity to link us to the Sira, to his miracles and beautiful character, and to the magnification of the Prophet whom Allah has commanded us to follow and emulate in all things.

Only by knowing his virtues and good qualities can we have perfect faith in him.

Only by listening to his life-story will we acquire a true and deep love for him.

As Allah Himself has stated: 'We tell you the stories of the Messengers, in order to make firm your heart.'

O Allah, make firm our hearts in Islam! Make our faith true and deep, and bestow upon us real love for Your Prophet!

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetmasud.co.uk/Islam/misc/mawlid.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetmasud.co.uk/Islam/misc/mawlid.htm[/url]

:sl:

Dear sister as far as I know we do not celebrate this. It is considered bid'ah (innovation). It seems to have originated in the Indian subcontinent and is practiced among this community in greater numbers than any other community.

Muhammed :sl: himself didn't celebrate it so who are we?

And AllahuAlam.

Theres a Mawlid tonight in Sydney, Australia if anyone is interested :sl:

Weekly Mawlid at Dar Al Mustafa, Tarim Yemen:

Edited by Aussie

There is a Mawlid at Sydneys second biggest Masjid next week as well if anyone is interested. Details and videos below:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_muslimvillage(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/event.php?id=380&PHPSESSID=269c307cdd190eb5bf3eb0f14ab9106e"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_muslimvillage(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/event.php?id=380&...f3eb0f14ab9106e[/url]

Edited by Aussie

Assalamu alaikum, Please check the link below, Gawaher has another thread along this Topic, the thread is closed so you won't be able to post anyhing there but you can go and check it out.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=35447&pid=378166&mode=threaded&start=#entry378166"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic...rt=#entry378166[/url]

Wassalamu alaikum.

Asslamu alikum ..

I voted ( NO ) because as brother Hasib said :

It is considered bid'ah (innovation)

Yeah , celebrating Almawild is a bid'ah , and we shouldn't celebrate this day ..

Peace ,,

'we ma erselnake illa rahmeten lil alemin''

i voted 'yes' . this is an important day. because our prophet (saw) was born in this day.

''come, let us depart from this age, and in our mind and imagination travel to the Arabian Peninsula in the blessed age of the Prophet, in order to visit and watch him while he is performing his duties and engaging in worship. See, just as he is the means for the attainment of eternal bliss, by means of his messengerhood and guidance, so too he is the cause for the existence of that bliss and the means for the creation of Paradise, by means of his worship and prayer.''[using large font size is not allowed]

''The miracles of the Most Noble Messenger (Upon whom be blessings and peace) were extremely varied. Since his messengership was universal, he was distinguished by miracles that related to almost all species of creation. Just as the supreme lieutenant of a renowned ruler, arriving with

many gifts in a city where various peoples live, will be welcomed by a representative of each people, who acclaims him and bids him welcome in his own language; so too when the supreme Lieutenant of the Monarch of Pre-Eternity and Post-Eternity honoured the universe by coming as an envoy to the inhabitants of the earth, and brought with him the light of truth and spiritual gifts sent by the Creator of the universe, which were connected to the truths of the whole universe, each species of creation - from water, rocks, trees, animals and human beings to the moon, the sun and the stars- each welcomed him and acclaimed his prophethood, each in its own language, and each bearing one of his miracles.''[using large font size is not allowed]

why dont we say welcome ''ya rasulallah''in this day?[using large font size is not allowed]

Assalamualikum

No we can not celebrate it. Celebrating our own birthdays are forbidden let alone that of the Prophet(saw) because all these celebrations are made up by the Kuffar and Allah has given us the 2 Eids to celebrate.

If you claim other wise then I ask you to show us where just ONE Sahaba(ra) celebrated the birthday of the Prophet(saw)! If the Sahaba(ra) did not do it and the Prophet(saw) did not order it then we do not do it. It is Bidaa.[using large font size is not allowed]

Edited by SaracenSoldier

well, we must see the history

this is what opik knows

it was Saladin who invented it

he invented it so the muslims at that time remembered and comeback

to the original teaching of prophet Muhammad, to love him, and to anaswer his call to Islam.

That time was a very horrible, many muslims fought against themselves

there was also a story when the victims of the crusaders brought the deceased hair, blood and bones to Irak/Iran, but the muslims there ignored them and preferred to play with pigeons.

there was also a fight among the hanafi's, Syafii, Hanbali, maliki, and other's. A time when it's not "what Muhammad said and do", but "what my teacher said and do", a taklid or something like that

that's why, to unite them, to make them comeback to the what;s the root of, Islam, Saladin invented this, because many muslims have forgotten how muslim's should live, so by this mawlid,

Saladin remembered them of the prophet's history, his struggle, his belief, history, taht they had forgotten.

and the result is the freeing of palestina, and the Muslims regained back what they had lost.

but still, opik think's it wrong by the way we celebrate it now, because it's only another festival and party for much of us

it was Saladin who invented it

Not for a second would I believe this. You are accusing Salahudeen(rahimahullah) of bidah? You need to prove your allegations.

Salam. Thank you to all dear brothers and sisters who answered. Thanks dear sister umAhmad for giving me the web. LOL Same topics, haha..

Please do carry on everyone, really appreciated.

Bismillah.

:j: brothers and sisters,

When we look at the celebration of the Prophet's birthday :D , first we have to ask ourselves:

Why are we doing it?

The answer, of course, is: We do it out of love and respect for the Prophet :D , and we hope to gain reward from Allah :sl: for that love, and for this action.

So now that we've pinpointed the 'why,' we as Muslims have to ask ourselves: How does a Muslim express his love for Allah and His Messenger? Because obviously, if we are going to show Allah our love for His Deen, and if we are going to expect Him to reward us for it, we should do it according to His rules!

And Allah :sl: is so Generous and Merciful, He already told us how to express our love for Him:

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘If you (really) love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Aali-'Imran 3:31)

Allahu Akbar! The way to express our love for Allah is to follow His Messenger. In return, Allah will love us and forgive our sins!

Now, with the specific issue of mawlid, how can we say we are doing this out of love of RasoolAllah :D, when he never did it himself? Didn't he say:

“The best of speech is the Book of Allah, and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The most evil of things are those which are newly-invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.†(Muslim & an-Nasa'i)

And if the one who truly loves the Prophet :D would celebrate his birthday, how come there is no evidence that his beloved wife, 'Aisha (RA), celebrated it? Wasn't she the moved beloved person in the world to him? And his closest male companion, the best of the Sahaba, Abu Bakr as-Siddiq (RA), did he celebrate it?

How about 'Umar (RA)? 'Uthman (RA)? 'Ali (RA)?

These were the closest of people to Rasoolillah :D, and his best followers. How come they didn't express their love for him in this manner, during his life or after his death?

Surely, if it was pleasing to Allah :no:, they would've been the first to do it!!

Prophet Muhammad warned us against exaggerating his status, he said:

“Do not exaggerate about me as the Christians exaggerated about the son of Maryam. I am only a slave, so say, ‘The slave of Allaah and His Messenger.’†(Bukhari)

May Allah forgive our brothers and sisters who have fallen into error, and we ask Him to reward them for their love of Rasoolillah, and to join us all together with our beloved :D in Jannat al-Firdaus.

Allah knows best.

Salam brothers & sisters.

I voted 'yes' because I heard out from the radio that for those who help out to carry the event on remembering our prophet Muhammad S.A.W will get good deeds as we are also following Ahlus-sunnah Wal Jamaah so... I don't think the goverment allow such errors to be aired. Plus, it is said that, before the birth of our prophet, even tree and rocks were happy.. we, as his follower, shouldn't we be happy too?

But then again, i read some articles forbidden us from celebrating it. Allah knows best, :sl:, :sl:

Salam brothers & sisters.

I voted 'yes' because I heard out from the radio that for those who help out to carry the event on remembering our prophet Muhammad S.A.W will get good deeds as we are also following Ahlus-sunnah Wal Jamaah so... I don't think the goverment allow such errors to be aired. Plus, it is said that, before the birth of our prophet, even tree and rocks were happy.. we, as his follower, shouldn't we be happy too?

But then again, i read some articles forbidden us from celebrating it. Allah knows best, :sl:, :sl:

Walaikumussalm

But then why would you accept a practice that which you are doubtful about?Thats a very dangerous and ignorant thing to do.Unfortunately thats what many of us do.....

Never heard of these hadhiths?

Leave that about which you are in doubt for that about which you are in no doubt.î

[Al-Tirmidhi and al-Nasaíi related it, and al-Tirmidhi said: It is a good and genuine Hadith]

"Whosoever introduces into this affair of ours (i.e. into Islam) something that does not belong to it, it is to be rejected."

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

According to the version in Muslim, (it reads): "Whosoever works a work which has for it no command of ours is to be rejected."

On the authority of Abu 'Abdullah al-Nu'man bin Bashir, radiyallahu 'anhu, who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, say:

"Truly, what is lawful is evident, and what is unlawful is evident, and in between the two are matters which are doubtful which many people do not know. He who guards against doubtful things keeps his religion and honour blameless, and he who indulges in doubtful things indulges in fact in unlawful things, just as a shepherd who pastures his flock round a preserve will soon pasture them in it. Beware, every king has a preserve, and the things Allah has declared unlawful are His preserves. Beware, in the body there is a flesh; if it is sound, the whole body is sound, and if it is corrupt, the whole body is corrupt, and behold, it is the heart."

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim

Not for a second would I believe this. You are accusing Salahudeen(rahimahullah) of bidah? You need to prove your allegations.

when opik reviewed it again, opik maid a mistake

he didn't invent it, but he's the one who spread and make it popular

opik had only read from indonesia websites (cause opik is from indonesia)

you can seach it by googling the keyword 'salahudin al ayubi maulid perayaan'

opik haven't searched in other languanges cause the result from indonesian is so many

and that's why opik thinks that's the right one

does SaracenSoldier have any website that says he doesn't?

The Ruling Concerning Milâdun-Nabî

By the Shaykh - the noble Scholar - 'Abdul-Azeez bin Baaz [1]

Al-Istiqaamah Issue No.3 - Rabî'ul-Awwal 1417H / August 1996

All praise is for Allaah and the blessing of Allaah and His peace be upon the Messenger, and upon his Family, his Companions and all those who follow his guidance. After that:

It is not permissible to celebrate Milaadun-Nabee (the birthday of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), nor the birthday of anyone else, since this is from the acts of bid'ah (innovations) that have been newly-invented into the religion. 2 Neither did Allaah's Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, nor the Rightly-Guided Khaleefahs (Successors), nor the Companions, may Allaah be please with them all, nor any of their followers from the first three excellent generations, celebrate this day - and they were the most knowledgeable of people concerning the Sunnah (the Prophetic guidance), and had the greatest love for Allaah's Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam and were the foremost in following his Sharee'ah (Prescribed Laws).

It has been authentically established from the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam that he said: "Whosoever introduces into this affair of ours, that which is not part of it, will have it rejected." 3

In another authentic narration, he sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: "Hold fast to my Sunnah (guidance) and the way of the Rightly-Guided Khaleefahs after me, cling to it tightly. And beware of newly-invented matters, for every newly-invented matter is an innovation, and every innovation is misguidance." 4

So these two narrations contain a strong warning against innovations in the religion, and acting upon them. This is why Allaah - the One free of all defects - says in His Clear Book:

"And whatever the Messenger gives you, take it. Whatever he forbids you from, then keep away from it." [soorah al-Hadeed 59:7].

Allaah - the Mighty and Majestic - said:

"Let those beware who withstand the command of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, unless some trials and afflictions befall them, or unless they are afflicted with a painful punishment." [soorah an-Noor 24:63].

Allaah - the Most High - said:

"And the first to embrace Islaam from the Muhaajirs and the Ansaar, and those who followed them in goodness, beliefs and actions. Allaah is well-pleased with them, and they are well-pleased with Him. He has prepared for them Gardens of Paradise, beneath which rivers flow, to live therein forever. That is the supreme achievement." [soorah at-Tawbah 9:100].

And Allaah - the Most High - said:

"This day I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen Islaam as your way of life." [soorah al-Maa'idah 5:3].

The verses with this meaning are plenty. So to accept this celebration, or any other newly-invented act of worship, implies that Allaah - the Most Perfect - did not complete and perfect the religion for this Ummah, and that the Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam did not completely convey to his Ummah what was necessary regarding their duties, until the advent of those who came later and innovated in the religion of Allaah that for which they had no permission, claiming that they would draw closer to Allaah by such innovations. And this - without doubt - is a great danger and amounts to criticising Allaah - the Most Perfect - and His Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam. For Allaah - the One free from all defects - has indeed perfected this religion for His servants, and has completed His favour upon them. And the Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam has clearly conveyed the Message, not leaving any way that leads to Paradise, nor any way that distances a person from the Fire, except that he explained it to his Ummah. This has been established in an authentic narration, from 'Abdullaah ibn 'Amr radiallaahu 'anhu, in which Allaah's Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: "Allaah did not send any Prophet except that it was his duty to inform his Ummah of the good that he knew, and to warn them about the evils that he knew." 5

It is known that our Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam is the best of all the Prophets and the last of them and the most perfect of them with regards to conveying the Message and advising the people. So if celebrating his milaad (birthday) was a part of the religion that Allaah - the Most Perfect chose, then the Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam would have most certainly explained it to his Ummah, or he would have celebrated it himself, or his noble Companions radiallaahu 'anhum would have celebrated it. However, since nothing like this happened, then we know that the celebration of milaad has nothing to do with Islaam whatsoever. Rather, it is from those innovations which the Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam warned his Ummah from, as has been shown in the preceding narrations.

There is another authentic narration similar in meaning to the two preceding ones, and it is his sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam's saying in his Jumu'ah khutbah (Friday sermon): "Indeed the best speech is the Book of Allaah, and the best guidance and example is that of Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam. And the worst affairs are the newly-invented ones, and every newly-invented matter is an innovation, and every innovation is misguidance." 6

Due to this, a group of the Scholars rejected the practice of milaad and warned against it, acting upon the aforementioned proofs, and their like. However, some of the later Scholars differed, in that they have allowed such a practice, providing it does not entail any sinful and evil matters; such as exaggerating in the praise of Allaah's Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, or free-mixing between men and women, or the playing of musical instruments and singing, and other such matters which are rejected by the pure Sharee'ah (Prescribed Law). They think that such a practice is a bid'ah hasanah (a good innovation in the religion). 7 However, the Sharee'ah principle is: whenever any dispute arises amongst the people, then the issue should be referred back to the Book of Allaah and to the Sunnah of His Messenger, Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam. Allaah - the Mighty and Majestic - said:

"O you who believe! Obey Allaah and obey the Messenger and those in authority amongst you. If you differ in anything amongst yourselves, then refer it back for judgment to Allaah and His Messenger, if you do truly believe in Allaah and the Last Day. That is better and more befitting for final determination." [soorah an-Nisaa 4:59].

Allaah - the Most High - said:

"And in whatever you differ, the judgement is with Allaah." [soorah ash-Shooraa 42:10].

So if we refer this issue - about the validity of celebrating milaad - back to the Book of Allaah, we find that the Book (i.e. the Qur'aan) commands us to follow the Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam in that which he brought, and it warns us against that which he prohibited. It also informs us that Allaah - the Most Perfect - has perfected the religion of Islaam for this Ummah. Thus, from this angle, there is nothing in what the Messenger came with concerning this celebration, and therefore it cannot be part of the religion which Allaah perfected for us and ordered us to adhere to by following the Messenger.

Then if we turn to the Sunnah of the Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam we do not find in it that he sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam celebrated his own birthday, nor ordered its celebration, nor do we find any of the Companions radiallaahu 'anhum celebrating it! Therefore, it will be absolutely clear to anyone who has the slightest insight and is desirous of truth and justice, that the practice of celebrating the Milaadun-Nabee (the birthday of the Prophet) is not part of t he religion, rather it is a bid'ah (innovation) which we have been warned against and ordered to abandon.

It is also a form of blind imitation of the Jews and Christians in their festivals. Therefore, the sensible person should not be deceived by the large number of people, from the various lands, who practice this, since the truth is not known by mere numbers, but the truth is known by the Sharee'ah proofs. Allaah - the Most High said concerning the Jews and the Christians:

"And they say: None shall enter Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian! These are their own desires. Say to them: Bring your proof if you are indeed truthful." [soorah al-Baqarah 2:111].

And Allaah - the Most High - said:

"And if you were to obey most of those on earth, they would mislead you far away from Allaah's path." [soorah al-An'aam 6:116].

Most of these milaad celebrations - as well as being an innovation - involve other types of evils as well; such as the free-mixing between men and women, singing and playing musical instruments, and the drinking and smoking of intoxicants. There are in such celebrations, something which is worse than all this, and it is the greater form of shirk (associating partners in the worship of Allaah), through exaggerating about Allaah's Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, or the dead awliyaa (pious servants of Allaah), by supplicating to them, seeking their aid and help, or by believing that they have the knowledge of the ghayb (hidden Unseen), and other such matters of kufr (disbelief). Whereas it is authentically related from Allaah's Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam that he said: "Beware of ghuloo (exaggeration) in the religion. For indeed those who came before you were destroyed due to their exaggerating in the religion." 8 And he 'alayhis-salaatu was-salaam also said: "Do not over-elevate me as the Christians over-elevated Jesus, Son of Mary, but rather I am just a slave of Allaah. So call me the slave of Allaah and His Messenger." 9

One of the strangest matters is that a great number of people who actively participate in this innovated celebration, and who defend it vigorously, do not take care of fulfilling those matters which Allaah has made obligatory upon them, such as praying the five daily Prayers, and this does not even bother many of them at all. Indeed many of them do not even think that they are committing a great sin! There is no doubt that this is due to their weak eemaan (faith) and their short sightedness and the Fact that their hearts are covered with the filth of sins and disobedience. We ask Allaah to protect and forgive us and all of the Muslims.

One of the strangest matters also is that some of them believe that Allaah's Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam is actually present at their milaad celebrations, so consequently the participants stand to greet and welcome him. However, this is from the greatest of lies and the worst form of ignorance, because the Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam shall neither come out of his grave before the Day of Judgement, nor will he meet anyone, nor attend their gatherings. Rather, he shall remain in his grave until the Day of Judgement, whilst his noble rooh (soul) resides in the highest of places with his Lord in the home of the exalted, as Allaah - the Most High - said:

"Then you shall surely die, then you shall be raised-up again on the Day of Resurrection." [soorah al-Mu'minoon 23:15-16].

The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: "I will be the leader of the children of Aadam on the Day of Resurrection, and I will be the first for whom the earth will split open, and will be the first to intercede and the first whose intercession will be accepted." 10

So this noble aayah (verse) and this noble hadeeth - and those verses and ahaadeeth with a similar meaning - prove that the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam and others that have also died, will only come out of their graves on the Day of Resurrection. And this is a matter about which there is an agreement amongst the Muslim Scholars, there being no difference between them. So it is a must upon every Muslim, to carefully consider these matters and to beware of those innovations and deviations that have been introduced by the ignorant ones and their like, for which Allaah has not sent down any authority. It is Allaah's help that is sought, and He alone is relied upon, and there is no might, nor any power, except with Allaah.

As for sending the salaah and the salaam (invoking praises and blessings of peace) upon Allaah's Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, then this is from one of the best ways of drawing closer to Allaah and from those actions which are righteous. Allaah - the Most High - said:

"Indeed Allaah sends His salaah upon the Prophet (i.e. Allaah praises the Prophet to the angels), as do the angels (by supplicating for forgiveness for him) O you who Believe! Send your salaah upon him and invoke the best salaam (blessings of peace) for him." [soorah al-Ahzaab 33:56].

The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: "Whosoever sends a single blessing upon me, then Allaah will send upon him ten blessings." 11 So this is prescribed at all times, particularly at the end of every Prayer. Rather, a group from the people of Knowledge actually consider it obligatory in the final sitting of every Prayer, and consider it highly recommended at other times, such as after the adhaan (call to Prayer), and after mentioning the Prophet, sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam's name, and also on the day of Jumu'ah (Friday), as is proven by the various authentic narrations.

May Allaah help us and all the Muslims to attain a sound understanding of the religion, and that He favours us all by causing us to cling to the Sunnah and causing us to beware of bid'ah (innovations in the religion). Indeed He is the Most Generous, the Most Kind. And may the salaah and salaam (Allaah's praises and blessings of peace) be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his Family, his Companions and his followers.

1. At-Tahdheer minal-Bid'ah (pp.3-6) of Shaykh Ibn Baaz.

2. Ash-Shaatibee said in al-'ltisaam (1/33), about the technical definition of the word bid'ah (innovations): "A newly invented way in the Religion, in imitation of, or corresponding to the Sharee'ah, through which nearness to Allaah is sought. Such action is not supported by any authentic proof - neither the action itself, nor the way in which it is performed."

3. Related by al-Bukhaaree (2/166) and Muslim (5/133), from 'Aaishah radiallaahu 'anhaa.

4. Saheeh: Related by Ahmad (4/126) and Abu Daawood (no.4607), from al-'lrbaad ibn Saariyah radiallaahu 'anhu. It was declared authentic by al-Haafidh Ibn Hajr in Takhreej Ahaadeeth Mukhtasar-Ibnul-Haajib (1/137).

5. Related by Muslim in his Saheeh (no. 1844).

6. Related by Muslim (6/153), from Jaabir ibn 'Abdullaah radiallaahu 'anhu.

7. Refer to the following article in refutation of this concept.

8. Saheeh: Related by Ahmad (1/215) and Ibn Maajah (no.3064), from Ibn 'Abbaas radiallaahu 'anhu. It was authenticated by al-Haafidh Ibn Taymiyyah in Majmoo'ul-Fataawaa (3/383).

9. Related by al-Bukhaaree (no.3445) and Muslim (no.1691), from 'Umar radiallaahu 'anhu.

10. Related by Muslim (7/59), from Abu Hurayrah radiallaahu 'anhu.

11. Related by Muslim (no.408), from Abu Hurayrah radiallaahu 'anhu.

The Original State

Ibn Battah relates in Ibaanah (no.136), that the noble Scholar and taabi'ee. Abul-'Aaliyah (d.90H) - rahimahullaah - said:

"Learn Islaam. Then when you have learnt Islaamic do not turn away from it to the right, nor the left. But be upon the Straight Path and upon the Sunnah of your Prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam and that which his Companions were upon and beware of these innovations because they cause hatred and enmity amongst you. But stick to the original state of affairs which was there before they divided."

Who Really Loves the Messenger of Allah? (In the light of Mawlid Celebrations)

From As-Sunnah Bimonthly Islamic Newsletter

The Messenger of Allah, Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) was born in Makkah during the month of Rabe'i al-Awwal. Scholars differ regarding his exact birth-date but they all agree that it was on Monday, as is mentioned in an authentic Hadeeth.

Rabe'i al-Awwal sparks off the debate whether the 12th Rabe'i al-Awwal (the Prophet's assumed day of birth) should be celebrated or not. And if it is celebrated, then how should the celebrations be?

Celebrations are part of the complete religion (Deen), and thus complete guidance on the days and manner of celebration is found in the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of the Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam).

Those who insist on celebrating Mawlid, claim that those who do not follow them in celebrating Mawlid, do not love the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam).

In Islam, claims carry no weight in themselves, unless they are backed by Proofs. The stronger the Proof, the stronger the claim. Allah, the Exalted mentioned in the Qur'aan the claim of some of the misguided, who said: “None will enter Paradise, unless he be a Jew or a Christian†Allah questioned them, saying - “Produce your Proof (Burhaan) if you are truthfulâ€. [soorah al-Baqarah (2): 111]

Thus, this verse gives the principle of judging a claim. Furthermore, Allah explicitly points out to the acceptable proof (Burhaan), that justifies a claim. He said: “O Mankind! There has come to you a convincing proof (Burhaan - Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam)) from your Lord and We sent down to you a manifest light (this Qur'aan).†[soorah an-Nisa (4): 174]

Consequently, Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) is the Burhan (Proof) and the Criterion and thus every claim has to be supported with strong proofs from his Sunnah (Way).

Loving the Messenger of Allah - An Obligation:

Loving the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), is obligatory for every Muslim. It is the proof of one's Faith. A believer has to love him (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) more than everything else, as the Qur’aan says: “Say: If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your kindred, the wealth that you have gained, the commerce in which you fear a decline, and the dwelling in which you delight are dearer to you than Allah and His Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) and striving hard and fighting in His cause, then wait until Allah brings about His Decision (torment). And Allah guides not the people who are disobedient.†[soorah At-Tawbah (9): 24]

Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “None of you truly believes until I am more beloved to him than his father, his child and all of mankind.†[bukharee and Muslim]

Once, Umar Ibn Khattab (radhi allahu anhu), made a statement to Allah's Messenger: “O Messenger of Allah! You are more beloved to me than anything except my own self.†Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) remarked saying: “No, by the One in Whose Hand is my soul, not until I am more beloved to you than your own soul.†Umar (radhi allahu anhu) then declared his love for the Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) saying: “By Allah, now you are more beloved to me them my own soul.†Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) then informed him that he had the complete and correct faith.†[saheeh Bukharee]

What is LOVE?

Love of Allah and His Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) refers to complete submission to their orders and commandments. Allah says in the Qur'aan: “Say (O Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam)): 'If you truly love Allah then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your sins.†[soorah al-Imraan (3): 31]

And Allah has described the hypocrites as disobedient to Allah and His Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam): “They (hypocrites) say: “We have believed in Allah and in the Messenger and we obey’, then a party of them turn away thereafter, such are not believers.†[soorah An-Nur (24): 47]

He also said: “But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you judge in all disputes between them and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission.†[soorah an-Nisa (4): 65]

“The only saying of the faithful believers, when they are called to Allah (His Words: the Qur'aan) and His Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) to judge between them, is that they say: 'We hear and we obey'. It is such as these who will attain success.†[soorah an-Noor (24): 51]

The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “All the people of my Ummah will enter Paradise except he who refuses.†The Companions (radhi allahu anhu) asked: 'Who refuses?' The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) explained: “He who obeys me will enter Paradise and he who disobeys me is as if he has denied me.†[saheeh Bukharee]

Once, a companion of the Messenger of Allah approached him and said: “I love you more than I love my family and get restless to see you, I run to you to have a glimpse of you but when I am reminded of my own death and yours, I am distressed to think that you will be in the company of Prophets (alaihi as-salaam) in high Heavens and I, if admitted to Heaven, would not be able to approach you and would be deprived of your sight."

On this occasion Allah revealed the following verse: “And those who obey Allah and the Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), they will be in the company of those on whom Allah has bestowed His Grace, of the Prophet, the Siddiqun (those followers of the Prophet who were first and foremost to believe in them, like Abu Bakr As-Siddiq (radhi allahu anhu)), the martyrs, and the righteous. And how excellent these companions are!†[soorah an-Nisa (4): 69]

The revelation of the verse, on the declaration (expressions) of love towards Allah and His Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), indicates the importance of love and clarifies it's meaning in the true sense i.e. Obedience.

Thus, love of Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) should be accompanied by total submission.. In other words, faith (in Allah) and obedience to Allah's Messenger are inseparable. Allah says:

“O you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger and make not vain your deeds.†[(47): 33]

“He who obeys the Messenger has obeyed Allah†[(4): 80]

“Whatsoever the Messenger gives you take it and whatsoever he forbids you refrain from it.†[(59): 7]

Disobedience to Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) is a sign of hypocrisy and disbelief.

Allah said: “Verily, those who disbelieve in Allah and His Messenger and wish to make a distinction between Allah and the Messenger saying, 'We believe in some but reject others' and wish to adopt a way in between. They are in truth disbelievers. And We have prepared for disbelievers a humiliating torment.†[soorah an-Nisaa (4): 150]

“And let those who oppose the Messenger's commandments beware, lest some fitnah befall them or a painful torment be inflicted on them.†[soorah Nur: 63]

Celebrating Mawlid – Is there any Proof?

The Celebration of Mawlid was introduced by the ruler of Irbil; Muzaffar ad-Din ibn Zain al-Din. He was assisted by Abdul Khattab Umar ibn Dihya, who composed a book al-Tanwir fi Maulid al-Siraj al-Munir, in an attempt to justify Mawlid celebrations. [ibn Katheer, al-Bidaya wa al-Nihaya, Vol.I3 pp.144-146]

Ibn Katheer has reported on the authority of al-Sabt about Ibn Dihya: "He used to defame the Muslims and belittle them. He would make additions in his report and exaggerate. So, the people gave up narrating traditions from him and falsified him. …" [ibn Kathir, al-Bidaya wa al-Nihaya, Vol.I3 pp.144-146]

Celebrating Mawlid (the Prophet's assumed birthday) has no origin from the Book and Sunnah, rather it is an innovation from the one, who was known for making additions and exaggerations in the Religion. A practice that came into existence 600 years, way past the time of the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), his Companions (radhi allahu anhu) and their followers, can never be a part of Islam because the religion of Islam is based upon the revelation from Allah. To introduce the celebration of Mawlid in the religion, one will have to break the seal of Allah, Who said: “This day I have perfected your religion for you, completed my Favor upon you and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.†[soorah al-Maidah (5):3]

Allah’s Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) was sent as a guide and warner. Allah says: “We have not sent you, but as a universal (Messenger) to men, giving them glad tidings, and warning them (against sins)†[as-Saba (33): 28]

And he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “There is nothing that will take you closer to Paradise but that I have enjoined it upon you, and there is nothing that will take you closer to Hell but that I have warned you from it.†[Musnad ash-Shafa'ee and others]

The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) never celebrated his birthday, nor did he instruct or order his Companions (radhi allahu anhu) to do so. If Mawlid was an expression of love or an act of drawing closer to Allah, then he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) would have certainly guided his Companions (radhi allahu anhu) to it. Thus, Mawlid is neither an act of righteousness, nor an expression of love for the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam).

Those who loved the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) the most

The Best Generations - the Companions of Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), loved Allah’s Messenger to the highest degree. They were the most severe in obeying him, and reviving his Sunnah. They sacrificed their wealth and lives and fought bravely in Jihaad alongside with the Prophet, when Allah called upon them saying:

“O you who believe! Answer Allah and His Messenger, when he ((sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam)) calls you to that which gives you life …†[soorah al-Anfal (8): 24]

They knew that they could loose their lives, or loose a limb or face pains and sufferings, yet this did not deter (discourage) them in the least, from responding to the call of the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam). Thy kept going and fought to their last.

These true believers who responded to every call of the Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), did not express their love for Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) by celebrating his birthday.

It was not difficult for them to parade in the streets, distribute sweets, wave red and green flags, read poetry in praises of Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), shout slogans, etc... Jihaad was no party or picnic time - it was putting everything at stake. If celebrating Mawlid was genuinely good or preferable then they would have been the first ones to do so. Celebrating Mawlid - Imitation of the Kuffar

Celebrating birthdays is an imitation of the Christians, resembling their tradition of celebrating the birthday of Prophet Jesus (alaihi as-salaam). However, a Muslim is commanded to be distinctively different from the non-believers. The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

“Be different from the Jews and the Christians.†[saheeh al-Bukharee and Saheeh Muslim]

He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.†[saheeh - Reported by Ahmad]

The Christian New Year starts from the Birthday of Jesus (alaihis-salaam) (exaggerating the status of Jesus (alaihi as-salaam), whereas the Islamic New year starts from the Hijrah (migration) of Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) from Makkah to Madinah. Narrated Sahl ibn Saad (radhi allahu anhu): “The Prophet's Companions (radhi allahu anhu) did not take as a starting date for the Muslim calendar, the day the Prophet of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has been sent as a Messenger nor the day of his death, but the day of his arrival to Madinah.†[sahaaeh al-Bukharee]

If Birthdays had any significance in Islam, then the Sahabah (radhi allahu anhu) would have surely commenced the Islamic Year from the Birth of Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam).

The Sahabah (radhi allahu anhum) expressed their love to Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) and obeyed him, when they initiated the Islamic Year from the Hijrah of Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam).

Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) had warned them from exaggeration, he said: “Do not exaggerate me, as the Christians exaggerated about the son of Maryam. I am only a slave, so say 'the slave of Allah and Messenger of Allah†[saheeh Bukharee]

Thus, birthdays have no significance or merits in Islam and celebrating the Prophet's Birthday is an evil innovation resembling the Kuffar.

Celebrations in Islam are Legislated Religious Occasions.

Celebrations in Islam are legislated by Allah, and He has legislated only two days of celebration and joy; Eid al-Adha and Eid al-Fitr that succeed the performance of two great pillars of Islam - Hajj and Fasting. Anas (radhi allahu anhu) narrated: “The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) came to Madinah and the people of Madinah had in Jahiliyah two days of play and amusement. So the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “I came to you and you had, in Jahiliyah two days of play and amusement. Indeed, Allah has replaced them for you by that which is better than them. The day of Nahr (Slaughtering) and the day of Fitr (Breaking Fast).†[saheeh - Ahmad (3/103, 178, 235) Abo Dawood (1134)]

Apart from these two days no other day is to be taken as a celebration, because celebrations are truly religious occasions. Any addition to the religion is a Bid'ah (innovation). To formulate the Religion is exclusively the Right of Allah. Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said, “I warn you of the newly invented matters in the religion; and every newly invented matter is an innovation, and every innovation is misguidance and every misguidance is in the Hellfire.†[An-Nisa'ee]

And all innovations are rejected as he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “Whoever does an action, which we have not commanded then it must be rejected.†[saheeh Muslim]

And: “Whosoever introduces in the religion of ours that which is not a part of it then it must be rejected.†[Ahmad]

Many great events took place during the life of Allah’s Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam); like the victory of Badr, Hunain, al-Khandaq etc. The day when he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) was granted Prophet-hood, his ascending to the heavens and his direct talk with Allah (al-Miraaj), his migration to Madinah, and the conquest of Makkah. All these events are of great significance in the Islamic history, BUT the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) never celebrated nor commanded his Sahabah (radhi allahu anhu) to celebrate any of these days. Rather, his approach was praying and thanking Allah in recognition for His Favor and Grace. The Etiquette of Celebration

The Etiquettes of Celebrations are very evident in the Sunnah of Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam). For example; the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), prescribed fasting on the day of Aashoorah - ‘the day when Allah saved Moosa (alaihi as-salaam) from drowning†[saheeh Bukharee]

[NOTE - Here, too, Allah’s Messenger ordered the Muslims to fast two days (a day before or after Ashoorah), to differ from the practice of the Jews].

The Conquest of Makkah - the day of great victory for Muslims. Allah’s Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) offered prayers of thanks to Allah - All Mighty - for this splendid victory. He did not make it a day of celebrations or processions.

Likewise, the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) never commemorated his birthday as a celebration or Eid. Instead, when he was asked about fasting on Mondays, he replied: “That is the day on which I was born and the day on which I was entrusted with the Mission or when I was first given Revelation.†[saheeh Muslim]

In contrast, Mawlid is celebrated more like Carnivals, with processions, music, free-mixing of sexes, chanting slogans, parading on camels with Arabian costumes, etc. It does not bear resemblance to the manner in which significant days are commemorated in Islam.

False Beliefs and Practices related to Mawlid

Those who promote the celebration of Mawlid, agree themselves that it was not the practice of Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), and neither of his Companions. Moreover, they too consider it to be an innovation in the religion. BUT they try to justify their actions by vague arguments. They say:

Every innovation is evil

The saying that some Bid'ahs are good and not every Bid'ah is a sin is a clear misguidance. This saying is in complete opposition to the authentic Hadeeth ... “Every Bid'ah is a sin†[Abu Dawood]

He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) also said: “The best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), the worst of affairs are Bid'ahs (the innovated ones), every Bid'ah is heresy and every heresy is going astray.†[saheeh Muslim]

And: “Whoever does an action, which we have not commanded then it must be rejected.†[saheeh Muslim]

Thus, every innovation in the religion, whether it be small or big, is a sin. But some justify innovations by misinterpreting the actions of the Sahabah (radhi allahu anhu).like … “When Umar (radhi allahu anhu) was the caliph, he collected the Muslims to pray in congregation for taraweeh prayers and said: “What a good Bid'ah this is.†[saheeh Bukharee]

This statement has been misinterpreted. If it is read in the right context, it’s meaning is clear. The full narration reads: “When the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) first prayed taraweeh, the Muslims used to pray taraweeh individually in small groups, and then for three nights they prayed in a congregation behind the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) and after this he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) stopped them from doing so by saying: “I feared that it would become an obligation upon you.†So after, this Muslim would pray individually or in small groups, and they remained like this throughout the rule of Abu Bakr (radhi allahu anhu) and the beginning of the rule of Umar (radhi allahu anhu). Then Umar (radhi allahu anhu) came to the Masjid and saw the Muslims praying in small in groups and so gathered them as one jama'ah to pray behind Ubayy ibn Ka'ab (radhi allahu anhu) and Tameem ad-Daree (radhi allahu anhu) and stated the above phrase.†[Reported in Saheeh Bukharee, the Muwatta and others]

The actions of Umar (radhi allahu anhu) cannot be considered as a good innovation because people were already in the habit of praying in small groups and it was an established Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam).

Prophet of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) also gave the reason for discontinuing this practice. It was because the revelation was still descending and he feared that praying in congregation might become obligatory, and this might lead to hardships for the nation.

After the death of Allah’s Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) the revelation ceased and the fear was no longer present. Umar (radhi allahu anhu) re-established the congregation during his rule because he knew that his action could not be made obligatory.

Furthermore, there was a Ijma (consensus) on this, i.e. all the companions agreed to the action of Umar (radhi allahu anhu). And the scholars of 'usul' have stated that a consensus cannot occur except when there is a clear text from the Shari'ah.

Thus, this action of Umar Ibn Khattab (radhi allahu anhu) cannot be used to prove the idea that every Bid'ah is not a sin.

Does every Muslim have a right to innovate in the religion?

The following Hadeeth is used to derive evidence that people can invent new practices in Islam, either good or bad: “Whosoever starts in Islam a good practice (sunnah), he gets the reward of it, and the reward of all those who act on it. And whosoever starts in Islam an evil practice (sunnah), he gets the evil of it and the evil of all those who act on it.†[saheeh Muslim]

But if they were to take this Hadeeth in it's full context, then it would not be possible to deduce such a thing. Imaam Muslim (rahimahullah) reported this story from Jareer ibn Abdullah (radhi allahu anhu), he said: “Some people came to Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) wearing woolen garments. He saw they were in bad shape and in desperate need, so he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) urged the people to give them charity. People were very slow to respond, and it could be seen on his face (that he was upset). Then a man from the Ansar brought a package of silver, then another came, then after him another and another, and his face was filled with joy. He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “Whoever starts a practice (Sunnah) in Islam, and others do likewise after him, there will be written for him a reward like that of those who followed him, without detracting it in the least from their reward. Whoever starts a bad practice (Sunnah) in Islam, and others do likewise after him, there will be written for him a burden of sin like that of those who followed him, without detracting it in the least from their burden.†[saheeh Muslim]

Here, the meaning of the word 'sunnah' should be taken in the linguistic sense (i.e. practice) and not in the Shari'ah sense (i.e. the life example of Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam)) because otherwise it would imply that there is something bad in the Sunnah. Thus, the meaning will be the one who renews an evil act will get its evil.

Secondly, the Companion (radhi allahu anhu), who gave the charity did not start anything new, for giving charity was legislated from the early days of Islam, as proved by the Makkan soorahs. Rather he just renewed a Sunnah that was being neglected.

Besides, the Hadeeth uses words 'good and bad'. And Islam is the complete religion, all the good and bad has been defined. There is no room for any addition or deletion. Allah says: “This day I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favor upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as you religion.†[soorah al-Maidah (5): 4]

And His Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “There is nothing that will take you closer to Paradise but that I have enjoined it upon you, and there is nothing that will take you closer to Hell but that I have warned you from it.†[Musnad ash-Shafa'I and others] And if one is to say that the people have the right to innovate in the religion, i.e. make additions in it, then he will be accusing the religion of incompleteness and deficiency.

Did Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) celebrate his Birthday?

In regards to celebrating the Prophet's Birthday, the legitimacy (authority, authenticity) is derived from a Hadeeth reported in Baihaqee from Anas (radhi allahu anhu): “The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) performed Aqeeqah for himself after his Prophethood.â€

As-Suyutee said concerning this Hadeeth: “Another primary text has occurred to me by which the legitimacy of the Mawlid can be derived, namely what is reported by al-Bayhaqee from Anas (radhi allahu anhu) that 'the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) performed Aqeeqah for himself after his Prophet-hood.'

And it occurs that his grandfather Abdul Muttalib performed the Aqeeqah for him when he was a child of seven years, and the Aqeeqah is not repeated a second time. So, therefore this is to be taken to mean that what the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) did was to openly manifest gratitude for Allah making him the mercy for the universe and to legislate this for his Ummah, just as he used to do by his sending salaam upon himself.

Therefore, it is recommended for us that we openly manifest gratitude for his birth." ('Husnul Maqsad' of as-Suyutee contained in his 'Haawi lil Fataawi').

As-Suyutee quoted this hadeeth from 'Sunan al-Kubraa' (9/300) of al-Bayhaqee. Chapter: 'al-Aqeeqah Sunnah', yet it is strange that he did not quote the rest of al-Bayhaqee's words. He (Al-Bayhaqee) said: "Abdullaah bin Muharrar reported a munkar (rejected) hadeeth concerning the Prophet's performing Aqeeqah for himself …

…..â€Abdur Razzaaq said, 'indeed they (scholars of hadeeth) abandoned Abdullaah bin Muharrar due to the state of this hadeeth and it is reported from another perspective from Qataadah and yet another perspective from Anas and it is nothing." ['Sunan al-Kubraa' (9/300) of al-Bayhaqee. Chapter: 'al-Aqeeqah Sunnah']

When Imaam Maalik was asked about this hadeeth he replied, "Do you see the Companions of the Messenger of Allah, for whom the Aqeeqah was not performed in the days of Jaahiliyyah, performing Aqeeqah for themselves in Islam? This is from the rejected (narrations)"

Similar statements are reported from great scholars like; Abu Dawood in his 'Masaa'il Imaam Ahmad' Ibn Hibbaan said in his 'Kitaab al-Majrooheen' (2/29), An-Nawawee in 'Majmoo' Sharh Muhadhdhab' (8/330) of an-Nawawee chpt: 'Aqeeqah' | Ibn Hajr al-Asqalaanee in 'Talkhees al-Habeer' 4/147 of ibn Hajr chpt: 'al-Aqeeqah'. He also declares the hadeeth from all of it's various perspectives to be da'eef in Fath al-Baree.

Therefore, to use this inauthentic Hadeeth to derive the legitimacy of Mawlid is not correct

Question: How can one actualise (their) love for the Messenger (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam)?

Response: Love of the Messenger (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and love of Allaah (Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala) is actualised by following the Messenger (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam), and everyone who follows the Messenger (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) is more eligible for the love of Allaah and the love of His Messenger. Allaah (Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala) says:

{Say: "If you (really) love Allaah then follow me (Muhammad), Allaah will love you}, [soorah Aal-'Imraan, Aayah 31].

And the sign of the love of the Messenger (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) is that a person inquires about his sunnah and then follows it and does not add nor take anything away from that. Based upon this, then those who innovate in anything related to the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and state that this is from their love and honouring of him (the Prophet) then in reality they do not love him and nor honour him. And that is because true love and honouring of him is to follow his sayings and not to add to his Sharee'ah and nor to take away from it.

And indeed whoever desires to innovate in the Sharee'ah of Allaah that which is not from it, then his love of Allaah and His Messenger is limited without doubt, because completeness of manners and honouring is not to extend oneself before Allaah and His Messenger. Allaah (Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala) said:

{O you who believe! Do not put (yourselves) forward before Allaah and His Messenger, and fear Allaah. Verily! Allaah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing. O you who believe! Raise not your voices above the voice of the Prophet, nor speak aloud to him in talk as you speak aloud to one another, lest your deeds may be rendered fruitless while you perceive not}, [soorah al-Hujuraat, Aayahs 1 and 2].

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen

Fataawa Noorun 'alad-Darb - Volume 2, Page 522, Question 414

Question: What is the ruling regarding celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) in the month of Rabee' al-Awwal in honour of him (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam)?

Response: Honouring the Prophet and respecting him is by: Believing in all that he came with from Allaah, and following his Sharee'ah and 'aqeedah verbally, actively and in character, and leaving off innovation in the religion, and from innovation in the religion is celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam).

And with Allaah lies all success and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa

Head: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez ibn Abdullaah ibn Baaz;

Deputy Head: Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaaq 'Afeefee;

Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah ibn Ghudayyaan;

Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Qu'ood

Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa. - Volume 3, Page 23, Question 1, Fatwa No. 3257

Yes we can celebrate it , but not only on a specific occasion as on the 12th of Rabie Al Awal since the exact birth varies between the first days of the month and the 12th (12th is most agreed on) .

So we do it right round the year and every single week and on more than one day during the week , in the form of reading quran , reading the seerah , reading poetry or nasheed , and all these are sunnahs , The Sahaaba read quran , told and taught the seerah and said poetry .

and since we have proved that the Ulama of Ahlus sunnah wal Jamaa'a have categorized Bidah into two , it means this clearly considered as a Bidah hasanah as long as it is in the boundaries of Shariah , and no mingling of sexes or other rituals that are not part of the Sunnah .

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543944"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satelli...d=1119503543944[/url]

Imaam Ash-Shaa'fee on Sufism:

"If a person exercised Sufism at the beginning of the day, he does not come to Dhuhur except an idiot." [Talbees Iblees].

"Nobody accompanied the Sufis forty days and had his brain return (ever)." [Talbees Iblees].

Imaam Ash-Shaa'fee on Sufism:

"If a person exercised Sufism at the beginning of the day, he does not come to Dhuhur except an idiot." [Talbees Iblees].

"Nobody accompanied the Sufis forty days and had his brain return (ever)." [Talbees Iblees].

Give us the Sanad and reference please :sl: , also since you love Ibn Jawzi rah do you know what he said against the Hanbali Mujassims ?

And please do not get into sect discussions .