Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Orthodox

Turning Away From Vain Talk

Gems and pearls from 'Tanbih ul-Ghafilin'- Imam Abul-Layth Nasr as-Samarqandi

From the chapter on ‘Laughter’...

It was said: “I am amazed at one who laughs while he has the Fire to look forward to, and one who is happy while he has death to look forward to!â€

It was narrated that a man passed by a boy on the street while he was laughing, so he said to him: “My son, have you passed the bridge over Hell?†The boy said: “No.†The man said: “Has it been made clear to you whether you will end up in Paradise or in Hell?†The boy said: “No.†The man said: “So what is all of this laughter for?†So, the boy was never see laughing after that moment, because the words of this man seeped into his heart, so he repented from laughter. And this was the way of the scholars back then: if they spoke with a word of guidance, their words were actualized by those who listened to them because they used to act upon their knowledge, so their knowledge would benefit others. As for the scholars of our time, then they do not act upon their knowledge, so their knowledge does not benefit anyone.

It was said: “Whoever commits a sin while he is laughing will enter the Fire while he is weeping.â€

It was narrated regarding one of the old scholars of Iraq that whenever he was seen, it was as if he had just returned from burying his mother.

It was said: “If you knew what I knew, you would laugh less and weep more. If you knew what I knew, you would prostrate in prayer until your back broke, and you would scream until your vocal cords snapped. Cry to Allah - the Exalted - and if you are not able to cry to Allah, then force yourself to cry!â€

It was narrated regarding one of the old scholars of Iraq that he said: “I laughed once, and I have regretted doing that ever since. This is because I once debated with a leader of the Mu’tazilites of my time, and when I sensed that I had won the debate, I laughed. So, he said to me: “You are speaking regarding knowledge, and you laugh? I will never speak to you again!†So, I regret this greatly, because were it not for my laughing, I would have convinced him to go along with my opinion. Verily, in this was a rectification of a scholar.â€

It was said: “Seek a happiness in which there is no sadness by means of a sadness in which there is no happiness.†Meaning: If you wish to acheive the happiness of Paradise, then be sad in this World - and do not constantly be in a state of laughter and joy - in order to experience the happiness of Paradise, and it is the happiness in which there is no sadness.

From the chapter on ‘Guarding the Tongue’...

It was said: “Verily, those who came before you hated to speak unnecessarily, and they would count and take account of every single word they spoke other than the recitation of the Book of Allah - the Exalted, or enjoining of some good, or forbidding of some evil, or speaking regarding some need of theirs that they had no choice but to speak of.â€

It was said: “There were four kings who spoke words that were as if they were an arrow thrown from a single bow: the king of Persia said: “I do not regret what I have not said. I only regret what I have said.†The king of China said: “As for any word that I do not speak, I have control over it. But as for any word that I do speak, it has control over me.†The king of the Romans said: “I am more able to prevent the consequences of what I have not said than what I have said.†The king of India said: “What is strange is that there are people who speak words that, if they were to be spoken, would harm them and do not benefit them."â€

It was narrated that one of the early righteous people would wake up and pull out paper and a pen, and he would not speak a word except that he would write it down, then he would go over what he had written and take himself to account at night.

It was said by a companion of one of the early Muslims that he had accompanied this man for over twenty years, and during this time, he did not hear a single word come out of his mouth that he could be blamed for.

It was narrated that when al-Husayn was killed, a close companion of his simply looked to the sky and said: {"O Allah! Creator of the heavens and the earth! All-Knower of the unseen and the seen! You will judge between your slaves about that wherein they used to differ."} [az-Zumar; 46], and he did not say a single word in addition to this.

It was said: “The believer speaks little and acts much, while the hypocrite speaks much and acts little.â€

It was said: “Verily, the wise man has his tongue behind his heart, so if he wishes to speak, he refers to his heart first; if what he wants to say is good to say, then he says it. If it is not good, then he refrains from saying it. Likewise, the ignorant one has his heart on the tip of his tongue, so he never is able to refer his speech to his heart; whatever he wishes to say, he says.â€

It was said: “Whoever speaks a lot, will only increase himself in embarassment.â€

It was said: “I would rather attack a man with an arrow than attack him with my tongue, because it is possible that the arrow can miss its target, while the tongue never misses its target.â€

PropellerAds

Good Manners in Dealing with the Ignorant by Imam Ibn ul Qayyim al Jawziyyah ®

Ar-Risaalah at-Tabookiyyah

After a person turns away from the company of those [ignorant associates], and he turns to the company of those who are absent in person - but whose bounties and good influence continue to exist in the world, he would then inquire a new zeal and a new direction, and he would become stranger among the people - even if he be a relative or a close acquaintance.

This would make him a dear stranger to people. He can clearly see the obscurity that they suffer, but they cannot see the splendor which he enjoys. He excuses them as much as he can, while enjoining and advising them to do good with all of his power. Thus he looks at them with two eyes:

With one eye, he recognizes Allah's commands and prohibitions. Based of this, he advises or warns them, and befriends and disowns them, giving them their rights and requiring his.

With the other eye, he recognizes Allah's Decree and Measure. Based on this, he sympathizes with them; he makes du`aa' (supplications) for them; he asks Allah (ta`aalaa) to forgive them; and he seeks excuses for them in matters that do not involve violation of Allah's commands and His Shar` (Allah's Divine Law). He engulfs them with kindness, compassion and forgiveness, heeding to Allah's command [to His Messenger (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam)]:

"Show forgiveness, enjoin what is good, and turn away from the foolish." (Al-A`raaf 7:199)

If a person abides by this aayah, it would suffice and cure him. It calls for:

Good manners in dealing with people: by forgiving them and showing them compassion to the limits of one's character and nature.

Fulfilling Allah's rights in people by enjoining what is good, which applies to matters that the minds attest to their goodness and merit, based on what Allah has commanded.

Avoiding their evil: to ward off the harm resulting from their ignorance, without trying to avenge himself.

How else can a person attain perfection? And what policy and behavior can be better in this world than this? If a man tries to consider every evil reaching him from people (I mean a true evil that results in a loss of honor before Allah (Ta`aalaa)), he will find that it arises from neglecting one or more of these three matters. If he abides by them all, then whatever is inflicted on him by people will be good, even if it appears to be evil. Only good can result from enjoining good, even if it be encased in a situation of evil and harm. Allah (Ta`aalaa) said;

"Verily! Those who brought forth the great slander [against `Aa'ishah (radhiallahu `anhaa)] are a group among you. Consider it not a bad thing for you. Nay, it is good for you…" [An-Noor 24:11]

And He addressed His Messenger (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) by saying:

"So forgive them, ask Allah to forgive them, and consult them in the affair. Then when you have taken a decision, put your full trust in Allah." [Aal `Imraan 3:159]

This aayah instructs the Messenger (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) to fulfill Allah's rights and the people's rights. When people do wrong, they would either be violating Allah's limits or harming His Messenger personally. If they harm the Messenger (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam), he shoud respond by forgiving them. But if they overstep Allah's limits, then he (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) should ask Allah (Ta`aala) to forgive them and to soften their hearts. Also, he (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) should extract their opinions by consulting them, because this tends to make them more obedient and willing to advise. Once he forms his decision, he should seek advice no more, but rather put his trust in Allah and go forth to fulfill what he decided, for Allah loves those who trust Him.

30 stories of the Salaf's preserving their tongues

Ibn Al-Qayyim ® -" Al-Jawab aL-Al-Kafi Liman sala A'n Al-Dawa Al-shafi ( Aldaa Wa Al dawaa)"

Sh. Al-Islam Ibn Taymiyya (May Allah Bestows His mercy upon him) said in his writings explaining the situations of many people:

"It is much surprising to find a person who easily preserves himself from committing sins i.e. earning Money from Haram sources, being injust, stealing, drinking alcohol or to look at what is unlawful for him to look at, while he still finds it difficult to preserve his tongue. It happens to see someone who is known with his righteousness, all time worshipping and piety but he utters words that cause Allah’s wrath, while he is not aware of such consequences. You may see a person who preserves himself from approaching what leads to injustice or any filthy action yet his tongue is not stopping from back-biting live and dead people alike without even caring about it".

1) It was stated that if someone asked to see Ibrahim Al-Nakh'ie, while he is at home, but he disliked to go outside to meet him, he would tell his servant: "tell him to ask for me in the Masjid and do not say: I am not here, so that it does not count as a lie".

2) It was narrated that a wise man used to say if he ever finds a person who talks much and rarely silent: “Allah subhanu created for you two ears and one tongue so that what you hear is double what you talk".

3) Al-Rabie'e Bin Soubaih narrated that a man said to Al-Hassan: O' Abu Sa'eed I see something I dislike, Abu Sa'eed replied: what is that? He said:" I see people attending your place looking for any mistake you make so they can spread it amongst people to ruin your reputation. Al-Hassan replied: O’ My nephew: Do not let this matter be heavy on your chest and bother you. I will tell you what is greater and surprising than that. The man replied: what is that, uncle? He said: “I obeyed myself in every aspect that gets me closer to Allah, hoping to enter Jannah, be saved from hell-fire and to be with the prophets. However, I never obeyed myself when it comes to listen to what people has say i.e. backbiting, slandering or whatever is evil. You need to know that if anyone has to be preserved from people’s tongues evilness then it has to be the creator who created them. Thus, knowing that, the created is normally to be never protected from their evil tongues.

4) Jubair bin Abdullah said: I saw a man approaching Wahb Bin Manbah saying to him: “There is someone who backbites you†so Ibn Wahbah replied: “Did not the shaytaan find anyone else but you to muck with and make him to look like a fool? Then it was just moments after that and the man came so he welcomed him and treated him kindly.

5) Hatim Bin Al-A’sim said: “If a respectable good man sits with you, you would be watching every word you utter so that you do not say something wrong. Yet, you know that your words are watched by Allah but you still do not watch the words you utter!!!

6) Abu Hyyan Al-Tamimi narrated from his father saying: “I saw the daughter of Al-Rabe’e Bin Al-khaytham asking his permission to go and play so he replied to her: go and utter nothing but goodness.

7) A man backbited someone while he was in the presence of Ma’roof Al-karkhi so Ma’roof said, warning the man about the danger of backbiting: “keep in mind, always, the time when they put pieces of cotton in your eyes, referring to his deathâ€

8) a man told Amro Bin Al-Obaid : Al-Aswari still backbites you and mentions you with no good , so Amro replied: “You did not fulfill the trust of the man when he let you sit with him since you told us what he said furthermore, you did not fulfill my rights upon you when you told me what I dislike to hear about one of my brothers. However, advise him that death will happen to all of us, the grave will hold us inside and the judgment day will gather us and then Allah will be the judge between us and he is, truly, the most just wise judge.

9) Al-Mmoafi Bin Umran once was asked: what do you say of a man who writes poetry? He replied: it is his life so let him waste it if he wishes the way he likes!!!

10) Ibn abbas ( radi Allahu a’nhuma) said: There is no word that son of Adam utters without being written, even the pain humming he makes because of his sickness. So when Imam Ahamd was sick he was told that Tawoos disliked pain humming of sickness so Imam Ahmad stopped doing so, although the pain was great.

11) Umar Bin A’bd Al-Aziz once said: “whoever knows and realize that his words, he utters, are part of his deeds, He, surely will speak only with what concerns himâ€

12) Al-Hassan bin Saleh Said: “We searched into where Wara’ (refers to the status where a person avoid doing what is Halal fearing that it has a suspicion of Haram) can be found, and we realized that Wara’ is rarely can be found and if it is found it will be the least of it in Tonguesâ€.

13) Abdullah Al-Khayar used to say when he sits with people : “O’ Allah save us and protect us and save the believers from the evilness of our tonguesâ€

14) Some of the Salaf used to say: “every hour which Son of Adam lived will be viewed and screened to him. And every hour he lived and did not mention or remembered Allah in that hour, he will weep on himself for wasting such an hourâ€

15) Al-Hassan bin Bashar once said: “I observed my tongue for thirty years so that I never uttered a word that require me to apologize forâ€

16) Bishr Bin Mansour once said: “we were once sitting with Ayoob Al-Sukhtayani and we talked and backbited others. Consequently, stop it For if I wished to tell you all what I have talked about today I would have done already, but I will not.â€

17) the Sha’bi used to daraw a circle and ask his servent to put her finger in the middle of it, if someone asked for him and he disliked going out, then he tells his servant say: “ he is not ion here†( referring to where she puts her finger in).

Note: This is used only when it is in need and necessarily otherwise it is not allowed because this is a form of a lie although the words are not. However, it is dislikable to do in general. The sha’bi did it out of necessity and that he does not lie.

18) A man once told Al-Fadeel bin E’yaad: “A man backbited me†Al-fadeel replied: “He benefited you rather than harmed you†(He refers to the fact that he will take from the good deeds of the one who backbited him in judgment day as a result of this)

19) Abd Al-Rahman Bin Mahdi once said: “I dislike people to disobey Allah otherwise I would have wished every one in this world to backbite me. There is no equal joy to find in your scale in the judgment day a deed you did not know about or even didâ€

20) A man once said to Bakr bin Muhammad: “I was told that you are talking about me behind my backâ€. Bakr replied: “If I did then you are more precious to me than myselfâ€

21) It was narrated that one of known respectable scholars was seen in a dream where he was asked about what happened to him after death. He replied:†“I am not passing through because of a word I said before†he was asked: what was it? He replied: “I said: people need rain badly (because they did not have rain for long time). Because of that word, I was told by Allah: “and what do you know!!! I know the interest of my slaves and what is beneficial to themâ€

22) Abdullah Bin Muhammad once said: I was with Imam Ahmed Bin Hanbal when a man told him: O Abu Abdullah, I have backbited you, please forgive me for what I did. So Imam Ahmed said: You are forgiven if you do not do it again. After he said that I said to him surprisingly: O abu Abdullah you simply forgave him for what he did!!! He replied to me: “did not you see conditioning my forgiveness by not doing it ever again!!

23) Some people cam,e to Ibn Sereen and said to him: we backbited you, so forgive us for what we did!! He replied: I will never make lawful what Allah made unlawful ( he indicates that they still need to repent and ask Allah forgiveness while he forgiven them)

24) Tawq Bin Munbih said: I entered at Ibn Sereen once and when he saw me, he said to me: It seems as if you are in pain and sick, I replied positively saying Yes, I am. He said after, well go see that Doctor and ask him to treat you or go see another Doctor as he is more expert than him. He immediately said after that : “ I ask Allah’s forgiveness because of what I have just said for what I said is backbiting in Allah’s right†( He meant : advising him to see slave of Allah is a sin as he should have advise him to seek Allah’s assistance)

25) It was narrated that Al-hassan was once told that a man has backbited you. He immediately sent that man who backbited him a plate full of dates and sent a message saying: I wanted to reward you for giving me more reward, yet please forgive me as I cannot thank you enough for what you did for meâ€

26) Abu Umamah Al-baheli once said: “In judgment day, the slave of Allah will be given his book of deeds, where he finds rewards for things he did not do, so he asks: O My lord, where did I get these deeds? So Allah replies to him saying:†these are because of the people who backbited you and you did not know about itâ€

27) Some wise men once asked: what is the wisdom behind that at the time of the prophet (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã))) the filthy smell of backbiting was easily distinguished while nowadays we cannot distinguish this filthy smell anymore!!! He replied: “It is because the filthy smell of backbiting filled our noses, nowadays, so that we know no other smell but that one. The example of this: A man who enters a shop of leather tanner who cannot the there because of the strong smell while the people who work there, eat, drink and they never even notice that smell because it fills their noses and got used to that smell, which is the same situation of us nowadays.

28) Abdullah bin Al-Mubarak once said to Sufian Al-Thawri : O Abdullah, how amiazing that Abu Hanifah never backbites anyone so that he never even backbited an enemy of his. Sufyan replied: “He is more reasonable and smarter to let his tongue controlled with what erases his good deedsâ€

29) A man entered at umar bin Abdul-Aziz once and backbited another man. Umar bin abdulaziz said to this man: if you wish we will investigate what you say so if we find you a liar then you are one of those who Allah said about them {O ye who believe! If a wicked person comes to you with any news, ascertain the truth, lest ye harm people unwittingly and afterwards become full of repentance for what ye have done.} [Verse 6 from Sura Number 49] and if you were honest andw hat you said is true then you are one of theose who Allah said about them: { A slanderer, going about with calumnies,} [verse number 11, from Sura Number 68] or you can ask forgivenss. The man replied: I ask forgivenss and will never do it again.

30) A man came to Abdullah bin Umar – at the time he was a ruler- and said to him: I heard that someone mentioned me with bad behind my back in front of you. Abdullah bin Umar said: Yes, it happened. The man said: Let me know what eh said so that I defend myself and show you that what was said are lies. Abdullah bin umar said: “I dislike uttering evilness about myself by using my tongue. Yet, it is enough to know that I did not believe what was said and still joining the relationship between you and me.

Assalamu Alaykum

Is it disliked to laugh after you have taken wudu?

It was narrated that a man passed by a boy on the street while he was laughing, so he said to him: “My son, have you passed the bridge over Hell?†The boy said: “No.†The man said: “Has it been made clear to you whether you will end up in Paradise or in Hell?†The boy said: “No.†The man said: “So what is all of this laughter for?†So, the boy was never see laughing after that moment, because the words of this man seeped into his heart, so he repented from laughter

That makes me laugh, in a horrified sort of a way.

same here.

:sl:

I expected wattle to laugh at Islam and thumb his nose at its teachings, but why do you laugh with horror, sister?

salam

I expected wattle to laugh at Islam and thumb his nose at its teachings, but why do you laugh with horror, sister?

the implication that laughing is against Islam and that laughing is something to repent from.

From the chapter on ‘Laughter’...

It was said: “I am amazed at one who laughs while he has the Fire to look forward to, and one who is happy while he has death to look forward to!â€

It was narrated that a man passed by a boy on the street while he was laughing, so he said to him: “My son, have you passed the bridge over Hell?†The boy said: “No.†The man said: “Has it been made clear to you whether you will end up in Paradise or in Hell?†The boy said: “No.†The man said: “So what is all of this laughter for?†So, the boy was never see laughing after that moment, because the words of this man seeped into his heart, so he repented from laughter.

these words, which are not from the prophet, are essentially saying that laughter is bad. that one should not laugh or be happy because the fire awaits him. didn't know Allah sent us here to be sombre or miserable. can't understand why i can find numerous hadith saying the prophet laughed, smiled and was a cheerful person to be around.

so i wasn't laughing at Islam because as far as i know, Islam encourages us to be happy. i don't know what religion the above advice is from.

Laypeople shouldn't interpret articles from scholars !!

are essentially saying that laughter is bad.

If you believe you will have an important test coming up, do you laugh? Read the title. What had Muhammad, sall-Allahu alayhi wa salam, said about vain talk? What makes you laugh?

How did the Prophet, sall-Allahu alayhiw a salam, smile?

And He, sall-Allahu alayhiw a salam, said that if we knew what he does, we would laugh less.

Edited by Orthodox

Laypeople shouldn't interpret articles from scholars !!

yes, so stop pasting articles when you don't have the ability to verify what's contained within them.

If you believe you will have an important test coming up, do you laugh?

if there's something to laugh about, yes.

Read the title.

i did.

What had Muhammad, sall-Allahu alayhi wa salam, said about vain talk?

do you equate vain talk with laughter? i know english isn't your first language but even you should know the difference between the two.

What makes you laugh?

the unislamic advice given in your article. the bit that says laughing is a reprehensible act and one should avoid it and seek forgiveness if you do it. this is against the sunnah.

How did the Prophet, sall-Allahu alayhiw a salam, smile?

with his mouth, i suspect.

And He, sall-Allahu alayhiw a salam, said that if we knew what he does, we would laugh less.

indeed.

this is, once again, another example of you talking about things you have no knowledge in. if you had even a little understanding of seerah, you would know that the prophet was a cheerful person and laughed. if laughing was a bad thing, why would he laugh?

what's even more ridiculous is that under the thread "Jokes of Prophet Muhammad" you pasted evidence that joking and laughing is fine. You even have a good giggle yourself

LOLZZZZZZ

so what's going on here? on one thread you paste an article that says laughing is fine, and in the next you say it is bad and should be avoided. you see what happens when a layman overreaches himself? you have no consistency in what you're pasting because you have an incredibly basic understanding of Islam. it is better to refrain from pasting information you've never bothered to verify. a not-so-knowledgable muslim who read both your posts would end up confused, because they contain conflicting info.

yes, so stop pasting articles when you don't have the ability to verify what's contained within them.

I like the article and I'm sure others learned a good lesson from it. That lesson is the remembrance of the hereafter.

if there's something to laugh about, yes.
But there is nothing to laugh about remembering the hereafter that this article is speaking about.

do you equate vain talk with laughter?
Vain talk makes you laugh. The fact that the prophet, sall-allahu alayhi wa salam, joked truthfuly, doesn't doesn't have anything to do with laughing out of vain talk.

the bit that says laughing is a reprehensible act and one should avoid it and seek forgiveness if you do it. this is against the sunnah.
Where does it say to seek forgivness? Prove that avoiding laughter over vain talk is against the Sunna.

with his mouth, i suspect
I asked HOW had he, saw, smiled. How did He, saw, laugh?

There is a hadeeth that describes the Prophet, saw, smiling. I don't want to guess on it. I'll search for it when I gett he time. It was that you couldn't see his teeth..... but let me get it.

that the prophet was a cheerful person and laughed
While remembering the herafter? No obviously. Remembe that hadeeth in which his hair turned white....

you pasted evidence that joking and laughing is fine. You even have a good giggle yourself
But truthfuly. Aldough I don't remember anything from the hadeeth saying htat the Prophet, saws, laughed. Smiling and laughung are two different things.

on one thread you paste an article that says laughing is fine, and in the next you say it is bad
That was a fatwa specifying a ruling on joking which must be done truthfully. Now compare that to this article.

Judgeing others is not good.

Edited by Orthodox

Sister, I think this is vain talk...

If you are against it, be patient and skip over it. Have good thoughts about your brothers and sisters, especially scholars.

The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) warned us against laughing too much, and told us of the danger it poses to the heart when he said: “Do not laugh too much, for laughing deadens the heart.†Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2305; Ibn Maajah, 4193.

Thank you, I forgot this hadeeth.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/20224/laughing"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/20224/laughing[/url]

Edited by Orthodox

So, the boy was never see laughing after that moment,

Redeem, I cannot believe that Islam regards that as a good thing. It reads like something a wicked witch in a fairytale would do. More to the point, many of the learned Muslims I've seen on TV, and the ordinary Muslims I've met do laugh.

Are we little children? For Gos's sake read the hadeeth. It no where says that you cannot laugh.

What you are quoting is a narration of some kind, and it teaches a good leasson!

1. In Islam, there is disliked, prohibited etc.. The hadeeth only says not to laugh too much. Does it command not to laugh?!There is a difference between a command and something that is disliked. Islam is a way of life.

2. When a human does something out of not not having a free will, he isn't committing a sin.

Edited by Orthodox

*confused* So you're saying that the guy who stopped the little boy laughing (ever again!) was wrong?

*confused* So you're saying that the guy who stopped the little boy laughing (ever again!) was wrong?
You are either not thinking or are trying to involve me into your discussions.

The boy chose not to laugh ever again because the man thaught the boy a lesson. The hadeeth is telling us not to laugh too much. What did he say wrong? When you are to take an exam determening your life, do you laugh while being aware of it? No. For those who believe in the Jehannam (Hell), when they are aware of it, they don't laugh because they believe in it.

It isn't a fairy tale.

Edited by Orthodox

So the little boy thought of nothing but hell ever again? Poor kid.

I like the article and I'm sure others learned a good lesson from it. That lesson is the remembrance of the hereafter.

the lesson included to not laugh. that's not a good lesson because it is against the sunnah. clearly this doesn't bother you becuse you 'like' articles that go against the sunnah?

But there is nothing to laugh about remembering the hereafter that this article is speaking about.

no, that's not what the article speaks of. the article is saying you shouldn't laugh at all, as demonstrated by the boy who was never seen laughing again.

Vain talk makes you laugh. The fact that the prophet, sall-allahu alayhi wa salam, joked truthfuly, doesn't doesn't have anything to do with laughing out of vain talk.

what's that got to do with what this article starts off saying about laughing? the article says laughing is bad. this is against the sunnah.

Where does it say to seek forgivness?

So, the boy was never see laughing after that moment, because the words of this man seeped into his heart, so he repented from laughter.

Prove that avoiding laughter over vain talk is against the Sunna.

It was narrated that a man passed by a boy on the street while he was laughing,

there is absolutely no mention of vain talk in this sentence. in fact, your whole first post makes no mention of laughing from vain talk. it simply says laughing is a bad thing.

I asked HOW had he, saw, smiled. How did He, saw, laugh?

There is a hadeeth that describes the Prophet, saw, smiling. I don't want to guess on it. I'll search for it when I gett he time. It was that you couldn't see his teeth..... but let me get it.

which means what? muslims are not allowed to laugh by showing their teeth?

While remembering the herafter? No obviously. Remembe that hadeeth in which his hair turned white....

he laughed. your article says laughing is bad. your article is wrong.

But truthfuly.

funny, because the taxi driver lies about being bin baz and uthaymeen then laughs at this. anyway, what you pasted there says laughing is fine. what you pasted here says laughing is not fine.

That was a fatwa specifying a ruling on joking which must be done truthfully. Now compare that to this article.

i did. this one says laughing is wrong and should be avoided. it is unislamic advice. you keep talking about vain talk and reference to the hereafter, but the comments made in your article make no reference to them whatsoever.

Judgeing others is not good.

misguiding others is not good either.

Sister, I think this is vain talk...

i think you don't like being exposed.

If you are against it, be patient and skip over it.

why should i allow you to come onto a public forum and misguide people by pasting an article that says laughing is bad? i will not have any patience with this, and i most certainly won't skip over it.

Have good thoughts about your brothers and sisters, especially scholars.

firstly, i couldn't even find the bio of this scholar. is this as-Samarqandi who died around 400AH? or is this a recent author? i have a low opinion of misguiding information.

The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) warned us against laughing too much, and told us of the danger it poses to the heart when he said: “Do not laugh too much, for laughing deadens the heart.†Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2305; Ibn Maajah, 4193.

there is a difference between the above hadith of the prophet and this:

whoever said this, is amazed that a person can laugh or be happy at all.

Are we little children? For Gos's sake read the hadeeth. It no where says that you cannot laugh.

What you are quoting is a narration of some kind, and it teaches a good leasson!

no, it doesn't. the whole point of this discussion is that you pasted an article which goes against the hadith. the hadith says laughing is fine, whereas the 'narration of some kind' shows that laughing is something to repent from.

1. In Islam, there is disliked, prohibited etc.. The hadeeth only says not to laugh too much. Does it command not to laugh?!There is a difference between a command and something that is disliked. Islam is a way of life.

exactly. so why did you paste an article that implies otherwise?

The boy chose not to laugh ever again because the man thaught the boy a lesson.

it was a bad lesson. it is against the sunnah to teach someone to never laugh, which is what the man did.

The hadeeth is telling us not to laugh too much. What did he say wrong?

he stopped the boy from laughing ever again by striking fear into his heart. this is not from the sunnah.

When you are to take an exam determening your life, do you laugh while being aware of it? No. For those who believe in the Jehannam (Hell), when they are aware of it, they don't laugh because they believe in it.

the story makes no mention of why the boy was laughing. yet the man scares him with the hereafter so he never laughed again. no one feared the hereafter more than the prophet, yet he still found reasons to be happy and laugh.

Redeem, I cannot believe that Islam regards that as a good thing. It reads like something a wicked witch in a fairytale would do. More to the point, many of the learned Muslims I've seen on TV, and the ordinary Muslims I've met do laugh.

Wattle, you have substituted "boy" for "little boy" in your response to sister Orthodox. Keep in mind that someone as old as 18 can be called a boy by western standards. In Islam, someone is part of the youth until he is well into his 30s, when he has attained wisdom as well as maturity.

Secondly, the man never forbade the boy from laughing. He did not take away his right to laugh. He did not even tell him to stop laughing. He asked him a question, and it was the boy who decided not to laugh. I'm pretty sure the wicked witch wouldn't be so lenient.

The man's words meant something to the boy to have such a profound impact on him. It struck a cord within him. Perhaps because....oh, I know! The boy already had faith in his heart, something you completely lack and cannot relate to. Therefore, it isn't surprising that your appreciation for laughter is greater than fear for your fate after death (which is nonexistent).

Prophet Muhammad said: By Allah, if you knew what I know, you would weep much and laugh little." [sahih al-Bukhari, Vol. 8, #627]

He also said: Do not laugh too much, for laughing too much deadens the heart.†[saheeh al-Jaami’, 7312]

There's no such thing as "enjoy life because you only get to live once" in Islam. Laughter is an expression of emotion that is perfectly fine in itself, but needs to be regulated, like all other emotions. If a person is far too pleased with life, they grow attached to it. If they learn to laugh all of the time, they lose the reality of death and the hereafter. No one who is laughing is fearing death at the moment that he is laughing, it is common sense.

Bilaal ibn Sa’d said: “I saw them [the companions of prophet Muhammad] jokingly pretending to fight over some goods, and laughing with one another, but when night came they were like monks.â€

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) was asked, “Did the Companions of the Prophet laugh?†He said, “Yes, and the faith in their hearts was like mountains.â€

It is perfectly fine to laugh because even the best of people laughed, and the man in the story never did say that laughter was the root of evil, nor did he tell the boy NEVER to do so. As for the boy who stopped laughing because he lost the desire to do so after he feared the hardships of the hereafter, it will be said to the righteous:

“Enter Paradise, no fear shall be on you, nor shall you grieve†[7:49]

He'll have the last laugh.

Salam.

JazzakAllahu Khayr sister Redeem. Your posts are full of rich information.

Ameen, sister, though I give full credit to Islamqa as the source of the aHadith and verses. Your words are equally appreciated.

The man's words meant something to the boy to have such a profound impact on him. It struck a cord within him. Perhaps because....oh, I know! The boy already had faith in his heart, something you completely lack and cannot relate to. Therefore, it isn't surprising that your appreciation for laughter is greater than fear for your fate after death (which is nonexistent).

You are saying that if someone was truly religious they would never laugh. But it is NOT a good thing, nor in accordance with Islam that a boy should never laugh.

You are saying that if someone was truly religious they would never laugh.

If a person desires never to laugh, why are you forcing them to do so? The boy made the decision (at least in public) not to laugh. You're claiming that he should laugh. Why don't you laugh, and the boy or others like him don't? Isn't that more fair?

It it is NOT a good thing, nor in accordance with Islam that a boy should never laugh.

Is it against Islam that a boy never laughs if he chooses not to? It isn't, actually. There is no commandment in Islam that forces people to laugh. There is nothing that says that an attribute of a religious person is that he laughs.

There is, however, something that makes it clear that the one who laughs less and weeps more is a religious person. Some things cease to be funny when a person has greater insight on human existence. Perhaps you should look at it like that.

Salam.

That would be fine if it was a random piece of information about a random boy. But it isn't. It is presented as a story of religious instruction; it is presented as being an example of the right way to live. Never laughing is an extremely unusual way to live and is usually associated with mental/emotional problems.

Salam,

Wattle, myself and I'm sure the other Muslims on this forum would differ with your opinion that the story is presented as being an example of the right way to live.

The right way to live would be in accordance with the sunnah and lifestyle of our Prophet peace be upon him, deriving lessons from his companions is also beneficial. This story as with many others are the stories of the greatness and intensity of the faith our pious predecessors harbored in their pure hearts, for us to reflect on, derive lessons from and by the grace of Almighty Allah learn Wisdom from.

I'll leave you with these two beautiful hadith,

Abû Hurairah said, The Messenger of Allâh, peace and blessings of Allâh be on him, said:

"The word of wisdom is the lost property of the believer, so wherever he finds it he has a better right to it (Tirmidhi)

Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) saying:

“Three people came to the houses of the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), asking about how the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) worshipped. When they were told about it, they thought that it was little. They said, “Who are we, compared to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? All his sins, past and future, have been forgiven.†(They thought that the one who does not know that his sins have been forgiven needed to go to extremes in worship and do far more than the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), in the hope that their sins might be forgiven). One of them said, “As for me, I will pray every night from now on.†Another said, “As for me, I will fast for the rest of my life and will never break my fast.†The third said, “As for me, I will have nothing to do with women and I will never marry.†The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to them and said, “Are you the people who said such-and-such? By Allaah, I am the one who fears Allaah more than anyone, but I fast and I break my fast, I pray and I rest, and I get married.â€