Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bipolarmania

Offensive Jihad And Spread By The Sword

9:29, and 9:123

[And] fight against those who – despite having been vouchsafed revelation [aforetime] – do not [truly] believe either in God or the Last Day, and do not consider forbidden that which God and His Apostle have forbidden, and do not follow the religion of truth [which God has enjoined upon them], till they [agree to] pay the exemption tax with a willing hand, after having been humbled [in war]. (29)

O you who have attained to faith! Fight against those deniers of the truth who are near you, and let them find you adamant; and know that God is with those who are conscious of Him. (123)

Does this mean to fight non believers and attack them? what are the context of these verses? thank you :sl:

PropellerAds

Ibn Jareer said:

So fight them until there is no more shirk, and none is worshipped except Allaah alone with no partner or associate, and trials and calamities, which are disbelief and polytheism, are lifted from the slaves of Allaah on earth, and religion is all for Allaah alone, and so that obedience and worship will be devoted to Him alone and none else.

and

Ibn Katheer said: Allaah commands us to fight the kuffaar so that there will be no fitnah, i.e., shirk, and the religion will all be for Allaah alone, i.e., the religion of Allaah will prevail over all other religions.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ""I have been commanded (by Allaah) to fight the people until they testify that there is no god but Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah, and they establish regular prayer and pay zakaah, then if they do that, then they save their lives and property from me except for Islamic laws and then their reckoning will be with Allaah." Narrated by al-Bukhaari (24), Muslim (33).

And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "I have been sent just before the Hour with the sword, so that Allaah will be worshipped alone with no partner or associate."

Koran 9:29 -

Fight those who believe not in God and the Last Day and do not forbid what God and His Messenger have forbidden -- such men as practise not the religion of truth, being of those who have been given the Book -- until they pay the tribute out of hand and have been humbled.

And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and polytheism: i.e. worshipping others besides Allah) and the religion (worship) will all be for Allah Alone [in the whole of the world]. But if they cease (worshipping others besides Allah), then certainly, Allah is All-Seer of what they do.

Koran 9:123 -

O believers, fight the unbelievers who are near to you; and let them find in you a harshness; and know that God is with the godfearing.

Koran 9:111 -

God has bought from the believers their selves and their possessions against the gift of Paradise; they fight in the way of God; they kill, and are killed; that is a promise binding upon God in the Torah, and the Gospel, and the Koran; and who fulfils his covenant truer than God? So rejoice in the bargain you have made with Him; that is the mighty triumph.

Assalamu Alaikum,

Before violence is permitted I believe the situation must meet the criteria laid out in surah 4 verse 91:

Others you will find that wish to gain your confidence as well as that of their people: Every time they are sent back to temptation, they succumb thereto: if they withdraw not from you nor give you (guarantees) of peace besides restraining their hands, seize them and slay them wherever ye get them: In their case We have provided you with a clear argument against them.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

-Salaam

But isn't it the case that the only options for a non-Muslim nation are to convert, pay the tax or be attacked?

Not at all. If a non-Muslim nation is conquered by a Muslim nation, the citizens have a choice; they can leave, freely revert to Islam on their own, or they can choose to not revert but still live under the protection of the new Islamic state and practice their own religion if they agree to pay the tax. Only if they refuse to pay the tax and become rebellious and hostile is any violence permitted to be used against them. It's basically proof that the non-Muslims would accept and be subject to the state and its laws in return for their freedom to practice their own religion, be exempt from the obligatory zakat that the Muslims must pay, and have military protection by the state against outside forces.

9:29 Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya (tax) with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

No, I meant the nation as an entity. I'm pretty sure that the caliphate is supposed to tell the nation's leaders about Islam, and if they refuse to become an Islamic state their only choice is to pay the tax or be invaded.

I'm not sure where your getting your information. If you could site your sources Inshallah I may be able to understand and give you a better answer. The jizya is only placed on the non-Muslim citizens of an Islamic State, the tax is not implemented on a completely different nation.

It was explained to me by a Muslim on this or another Islamic forum (all my information about Islam comes from Muslims on forums) - sorry I can't be more precise than that.

No, I meant the nation as an entity. I'm pretty sure that the caliphate is supposed to tell the nation's leaders about Islam, and if they refuse to become an Islamic state their only choice is to pay the tax or be invaded.

Yes, those are all valid options. However, there is another which is the signment of a peacy treaty between the Islamic State and the other state.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=731185.html&"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=731185.html&[/url]

You are holding a meeting when a group of people bust in with guns. They hold you at gunpoint and give you three options. 1) resist and die 2) hand over money to the armed robbers every time they demand it from now on, 3) join the armed robbers to rob other people.

Keep in mind they aren't "forcing" you to do any of these things. They can't "make" you give them money nor can they force you to join their gang, nor force you to resist and die, but all told it isn't a very moral decision these hostages are facing and definitely not moral by the kidnappers.

You're living in a state that never benefit you where you have a house, You must pay taxes, it gives you three options: (1) resist and die (2) pay the tax which is so high every time the state demands it from now on, if you can't do it you hand over your house 3) join the state to be a corrupt birocrat

Keep in mind they aren't "forcing" you to do any of these things. it's a must for a good civilian. It can be found in many books across the world, that you must be loyal and serve your state, "dont ask what your country can give you, but what can you give to your country.

You're living in a state that never benefit you where you have a house, You must pay taxes, it gives you three options: (1) resist and die (2) pay the tax which is so high every time the state demands it from now on, if you can't do it you hand over your house 3) join the state to be a corrupt birocrat

Keep in mind they aren't "forcing" you to do any of these things. it's a must for a good civilian. It can be found in many books across the world, that you must be loyal and serve your state, "dont ask what your country can give you, but what can you give to your country.

This only proves that the State is immoral as well. It doesn't answer what I said.

Edited by xocoti

Also, the same (pay taxes or get into trouble) applies to an Islamic state, so the two cancel out. And in a democratic state you could vote to get rid of all taxes, if you were silly enough.

Every state must have taxes paid to it or it will eventually fail and go bankrupt. It's simply the way economies and trade systems have worked for thousands of years.

One thing I find somewhat perplexing is that Muslims complain about people invading their lands (which is a legitimate grievance), yet Muslims are somehow divinely authorized to invade whole nations of non-Muslims, and give them the choice of converting, paying the tax or getting kicked out of their own countries? And then when they fight back with force, they are to be slaughtered back with force?

Not only does it seem absurd, it seems hypocritical as well.

Also, the same (pay taxes or get into trouble) applies to an Islamic state, so the two cancel out. And in a democratic state you could vote to get rid of all taxes, if you were silly enough.

Every state must have taxes paid to it or it will eventually fail and go bankrupt. It's simply the way economies and trade systems have worked for thousands of years.

One thing I find somewhat perplexing is that Muslims complain about people invading their lands (which is a legitimate grievance), yet Muslims are somehow divinely authorized to invade whole nations of non-Muslims, and give them the choice of converting, paying the tax or getting kicked out of their own countries? And then when they fight back with force, they are to be slaughtered back with force?

Not only does it seem absurd, it seems hypocritical as well.

There is a difference between taxes that people wish to pay and taxes that people don't. If you are willing to pay a tax then you are simply donating money to what you want to. If you are against the tax then you are being stolen from. There are some who think that being part of a state means having to pay taxes that he/she doesn't like which is fine as long as the consent to the system, but there are some who do not want to be part of the system, but can't quit the system without being forced off their own land and forced to leave the state. In that sense, paying taxes you don't want to pay is equivent to stealing from you by threat of violence.

Likewise Al Awlaki states that Islam was spread at least parcialy in the same immoral methods as imperalism was spread and how the state operates now, by comming to someone's land and forcing them to take a choice at gunpoint, aquiese to their demands or face violence. What is suprising is that he is proud that his ancestors pillaged, stole, and used violence to achieve their means.

In this sense I can't find any reason not to accept that the Caliphate is any different, morally, from democracy, communism, or any other state. Now if the Caliphate gave an offer to everyone it met, join and enjoy the benifits and responsibilities or do not join and we will leave you alone and likewise if someone wanted to leave the Caliphate one could after paying existing duties., then I could safely say that the Caliphate would be a moral system. But sadly Al Awlaki has said it isn't so and isn't remorseful for the behavior of the past.

Edited by xocoti

There is a difference between taxes that people wish to pay and taxes that people don't. If you are willing to pay a tax then you are simply donating money to what you want to. If you are against the tax then you are being stolen from. There are some who think that being part of a state means having to pay taxes that he/she doesn't like which is fine as long as the consent to the system, but there are some who do not want to be part of the system, but can't quit the system without being forced off their own land and forced to leave the state. In that sense, paying taxes you don't want to pay is equivent to stealing from you by threat of violence.

Likewise Al Awlaki states that Islam was spread at least parcialy in the same immoral methods as imperalism was spread and how the state operates now, by comming to someone's land and forcing them to take a choice at gunpoint, aquiese to their demands or face violence. What is suprising is that he is proud that his ancestors pillaged, stole, and used violence to achieve their means.

In this sense I can't find any reason not to accept that the Caliphate is any different, morally, from democracy, communism, or any other state. Now if the Caliphate gave an offer to everyone it met, join and enjoy the benifits and responsibilities or do not join and we will leave you alone and likewise if someone wanted to leave the Caliphate one could after paying existing duties., then I could safely say that the Caliphate would be a moral system. But sadly Al Awlaki has said it isn't so and isn't remorseful for the behavior of the past.

Of course, I know that there is a difference between the taxes people wish to pay, and the taxes do not wish to pay. I am a working, 24 year old male. I do not particular enjoy paying taxes, but it is a necessity for the functioning of the economy and the state.

I agree with you, the Caliphate just seems like another political alternative to communism, democracy, or anarchy. It doesn't seem like a divinely sanctioned political rule, but rather, simply another political system of power under the banner of Islam.

Although it is natural for one to feel proud and honored of their heritage and past, admitting that Islam pillaged lands and forced societies to convert, while complaining about Western Imperialism and it's negativities, is quite hypocritical.