Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
check2010

Questions On Some Arabic Words/grammar

Hello all! I'm needing some help with an Arabic assignment. I like to think I'm one of the best in the class, yet this is still hard for me. I hope some of you don't mind answering a couple questions :sl:

I'm supposed to identify the subject and predicate of the following sentences. He provided about fifteen sentences and I was successful with all but three.

åã ÇÓÇÊÃÉ ãä ÇáÓÃÇä[using large font size is not allowed]

Here, I'm sure it is "They (plural masculine) -something- from Sudan." So I would assume the first word, "hoom", is the subject, and the rest is the predicate.

åí ÇáÇãÑÇÉ ÇáæÃíÃÉ Ãí ÇáÊßÊÈ[using large font size is not allowed]

I can really only identify "she" and "in the office." From this, I gather that "hee-a" is the subject, and the rest is the predicate.

ÇáÃÑæÓ ÞÕíÑÉ[using large font size is not allowed]

I'm pretty sure this means "The lessons are short." Therefore, the first word, "al-daroos", is the subject, and the rest is the predicate.

Other questions, from what I can tell, ask me to say what is "she liked" is in Arabic. I know ÊÃÈ[using large font size is not allowed] is "she likes". "He liked" is "alif haa, baa." I understand that alif isn't a root letter, but would "she liked" still be "alif haa baa taa"? With three fatahs and a sukun.

Other things I had trouble with translating are ÓÇÚÃÊ[using large font size is not allowed] and ÇÚãá[using large font size is not allowed].

This one I know most of. I just have to put in an Arabic word that fits:

ßÇäÊ ÊÃÑÓ ãåÇ -blank- Ñíã ÊÚÑà ãåÇ Ãí ÇáÌÇãÚÉ [using large font size is not allowed]

Any ideas? I know it's "Raeem knows Maha in the university -blank- something."

Same with this one:

ãÓÊÞÈá -blank- ÃÑÇÓÉ ÇáÇÃÈ Ãí ÑÇí æÇáÃÃ¥ áíÓ [using large font size is not allowed]

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thank you!

PropellerAds

Ok guys, after a bit of good ol' hardwork, I've gotten most of the questions I previously asked.

I only need a little bit of help with some other things.

First of all, I cannot find anywhere (even in Wehr's dictionary), the word:

ãÃÇßÑÇÊ

Any ideas?

And can anyone please explain to me an adverbial accusative?

Thank you!

Do you have that word in context or with haraka? It looks like a feminine plural noun of à + ß + Ñ which means to remember.

Sorry I am not farmiliar with the term "adverbial accusative" as we tend to use the Arabic terms. Accustive I believe means to be in the nasb state.

ãÃÇßÑÇÊ not sure but if you mean ãÃßÑÇÊ then this is like notes you know when ur in clkass and the teacher talks you take notes that is what it is sorry im not that good at translting hope it help

Think form three. It will make sense when you put some context to it or if you can look at at the haraka.

Thanks for the responses.

Hm. "Notes" sounds like a word he would put on here, but the thing is, we never learned it. It's not even in our book's dictionary.

The adverbial accusative questions luckily came with an example. The instructions say "Supply an adverbial accusative in in place of the underlined words in the following short sentences." Then it gives an example:

ÒæÌí áÇ íÚãá Ãí ÇáäåÇÑ

The answer to the above example is: äåÇÑÇ

I don't understand what this is. The first question is:

ÃÃÑÓ Ãí ÇÇãÓÇà ÃÞØ

Meaning: I study in the evening only.

Any ideas?

ãÃÇßÑÇÊ not sure but if you mean ãÃßÑÇÊ then this is like notes you know when ur in clkass and the teacher talks you take notes that is what it is sorry im not that good at translting hope it help

What is the singular of ãÃßÑÇÊ ?

Is it just ãÃßÑ ?

I take it you still haven't worked out مذاكرات[using large font size is not allowed]

Quick sarf lesson. In Arabic there are 10 verb forms. Verb form III (as you will find in you Hans Wehr) is like this:

Past tense III - فاعَلَ[using large font size is not allowed]

Present tense III - يُفاعِلُ[using large font size is not allowed]

Command tense III - فاعِلْ[using large font size is not allowed]

Doer III - مُفاعِلٌ[using large font size is not allowed]

Recipient III - مُفاعَلٌ[using large font size is not allowed]

Time/Place III - مُفاعَلٌ[using large font size is not allowed]

Note the last three ^^^. Substitute your root letters then make it feminine plural and see the word you get.

The context and haraka will dictate what the word means. My guess is its the doers (The people who are studying/ doing their homework/ negotiating/ memorizing etc) given the grammatical state of the word.

It is possible that it is not form III and I am misreading it but that is my educated guess. Context would tell.

Edited by Aussie

Thanks Aussie, you've helped a lot! I have since finished my freshman year of college and completed my Arabic class with an A, due in no small part to the help of you guys here. I hope to further my Arabic study and -one day- be fluent in the language. I will begin by going back to the beginning of our Arabic text books and start again from page one. Then I plan to memorize about 100 or so root letters of verbs, like "tha" "ka" "ra" for "memorize."

I'll be sure to come back to this part of the forums when I encounter any problems. Thanks again :sl: