Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mirage

Honor Killings

Greetings to all...

I mean no disrespect to anyone here or to Islam with my questions and comments.

I had never heard of "Honor Killings" until yesterday when I was doing some research. Thus, I have VERY little knowledge or understanding of this topic. If I have made any assumptions or generalizations, it is unintentional.

I have several questions, some of them complicated, about this subject:

1) Are Honor Killings permitted, endorse, condoned, or otherwise suggested by mainstream Islam? If so, please cite scripture.

2) If permitted, under what circumstances are they to be performed?

3) What is the predominant view of killing *and* murder (two separate things) according to Islam? Please cite scripture.

4) If Honor Killings are permitted, what is the moral justification for doing so?

To elaborate: it seems to me that it is injust to hold the view that the sins of one person spiritually reflect on the state of another person or family. It is my view that one's sins are theirs alone. Therefore, I don't understand the *reasoning* behind a view that holds that a person should be killed in order to remove a 'stain of honor', if you will, from that of other people.

Further it seems to me that killing someone is very final and surely not the best solution to a disagreement of faith. I realize that Islam holds adherence to spiritual principles in a very different way than other religions, but regardless, it still seems to me that there are much better way to deal with people than killing them. I submit that people can certainly change over time, particularly young people. I am not a Muslim (obviously) and there is much about Shari'a that I do not understand, however, I would seriously question any law that justifies outright killing (I would say murder) of someone because they chose to marry someone of a different faith, for example. I mean no disprect, but I honestly cannot believe that God would condone such a practice.

5) I have heard it said that if a woman is raped, she may be killed to protect the honor of the family. Is this true?

5a) If the above is true, why is the woman punished for the violent sins of someone else?

I find this subject extremely disturbing.

Thank you for your time.

PropellerAds

Hi Mirage,

Welcome to the forum :sl:

Honour killings are in no way permitted, endorsed, condoned or otherwise in Islam. The practice is a cultural one rather than a religious one and seems to stem from South-East Asia but is also prevalent elsewhere. The justification given by people who carry out such killings is that it is a matter of honour or 'izzat' of the family, particularly so against women (although men are also victims), and mostly when either or both parties have declined marriage to the other, whom the family or parents deem suitable. The declination is seen as a matter of great disrespect against the family's standing and the man/woman concerned are killed as a result. This idea of killing due to 'insulted honour' has absolutely no basis in Islam, and was severely repudiated by prophet Muhammad. The only cases in which Islam allows the taking of a life are: the execution of a murderer (although blood money can be given as compensation instead to the victim's family, and the killer's life spared through forgiveness); apostasy (leaving Islam although it's not quite as simple as just leaving but I can't remember the full details right now); and adultery (where both parties are prescribed the sentence of stoning).

There are therefore, no Islamic circumstances in which an honour killing could be performed. As a result, there is no moral justification for such an action. It is in fact, thoroughly anti-Islamic to carry out such a practice when Allah and his prophet has given both partied in a marriage the right to refuse a proposal with no stigma attatched to doing so. Islamically, no 'stain of honour' occurs as a result of a refused proposal and so the subsequent murder in these cases is completely anti-Islamic. There is no truth to the claim that a woman can be killed, if she has been raped to protect the honour of the family.

Murder is the taking of a life that the murderer has no right to take. Killing would only apply in the circumstances outlined above and is only carried out in the manner set out by Allah in the Holy Qu'ran and explained by prophet Muhammad.

Taking the life of another person is only allowed in the three situations I've described. Even then, in the case of murder, compensation can be given instead. I think there are more rules surrounding all three situations but I don't know them all. As far as I'm aware, killing is not prescribed in a situation where for example, a Muslim marries someone of a different faith. Islamically, men are allowed to marry Muslim/Jewish/Christian women as they recognised as 'people of the book,' in the Q'uran. Women can only marry Muslim men as children from the marriage will be brought up with the father's faith and therefore, they should be Muslim. Men cannot marry women who are non-Muslim/Jewish/Christian because of ensuing faith/spiritual issues.

Hopefully, someone else can expand more on what I've said as I'm not the best expert in these matters but I've told you what I know :sl:

Peace.

Hello Mirage,

I hope that my post will be helpful in answering your questions.

Honor killings are most often the murder of female family/clan members at the hands of relatives, because of a perceived dishonor brought upon the family due to the women's "wrongdoings". If that is the definition we are using, then no, honor killings are not Islamic for a number of reasons.

1) Criminal law is enforced by the state. While capital punishment is applicable in some cases in Islam, no one can take the law into their own hands.

Ibn Muflih al-Hanbali (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Furoo’ (6/53): It is haraam (prohibited) for anyone to carry out a hadd punishment except the ruler or his deputy.

2) Capital punishment is applicable to both men and women. There is no discrimination.

The prophet Muhammad said, “It is not permissible to shed the blood of a Muslim who bears witness that there is no god but Allaah and that I am the Messenger of Allaah except in three cases: a life for a life (murder), zina of one of who is previously-married (adultery), and the one who changes his religion and forsakes the jamaa’ah.†Narrated by al-Bukhaari (6370) and Muslim (3175)

3) Capital punishment is applicable in the case of adultery, but cannot be enforced unless there are four witnesses who have seen the actual intercourse (without the cover of sheets), or unless the adulterer/adultress confesses (so that Allah might forgive the sin or lessen the punishment in the hereafter). So in reality, it's very rare - if at all possible - for anyone to be sentenced to death for adultery, except in the case of someone who performs it with an audience. There are also other criteria to be met:

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Sharh al-Zaad (6/120): There are five conditions for (being described as) previously-married:

1- Committing intercourse

2- Being within a valid marriage

3- Being an adult

4- Being of sound reason

5- Being free (i.e., not a slave).

4) Capital punishment is not applicable for anyone who has not committed adultery.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “(The punishment for zina (intercourse) of a virgin with a virgin person is one hundred lashes and exile for one year.†Narrated by Muslim.

As for rape; the position of Islam is that there is no sin upon a person if they are forced to do something that is against their free will.

Scholars agree that the woman is not to be punished for the sin or the crime, and that the man's punishment is that of someone who has committed zina; if he is married, he is to be sentenced to death and if he is not married, then he is to be flogged and banished for a year. However, other scholars have stated that in addition to that, he must pay a dowry to the woman that he has raped.

In addition, if he raped her at gun/knife-point, then:

“The recompense of those who wage war against Allaah and His Messenger and do mischief in the land is only that they shall be killed or crucified or their hands and their feet be cut off from opposite sides, or be exiled from the land. That is their disgrace in this world, and a great torment is theirs in the Hereafter†[5:33]

So it's possible for a criminal to break multiple rules at once and receive all of their punishments.

To elaborate: it seems to me that it is injust to hold the view that the sins of one person spiritually reflect on the state of another person or family. It is my view that one's sins are theirs alone. Therefore, I don't understand the *reasoning* behind a view that holds that a person should be killed in order to remove a 'stain of honor', if you will, from that of other people.

No bearer of a burden shall bear the burden of another. [53:38]

Further it seems to me that killing someone is very final and surely not the best solution to a disagreement of faith. I realize that Islam holds adherence to spiritual principles in a very different way than other religions, but regardless, it still seems to me that there are much better way to deal with people than killing them. I submit that people can certainly change over time, particularly young people. I am not a Muslim (obviously) and there is much about Shari'a that I do not understand, however, I would seriously question any law that justifies outright killing (I would say murder) of someone because they chose to marry someone of a different faith, for example. I mean no disprect, but I honestly cannot believe that God would condone such a practice.

Man should never follow a religion because it adheres to his standards or morality. If you believe that God would never condone capital punishment, what if you're wrong? What would you do then? I hope you won't look at Islam, see that you don't agree with it because you were raised differently, and decide that, on that basis, you don't want to be a Muslim. The truth does not cater to anyone's desires, including ours.

Allah is the one who makes judgment about the value of life, not mankind. He is the one who knows who will return to Him and who won't. And He is the one who decides who is deserving of forgiveness, especially if they are already punished in this world for their sins. All we do is enforce the rules that He established. We do not follow our own whims.

Salam.

Greetings to all...

I mean no disrespect to any of your beliefs or to Islam with my comments.

I appreciate all of the responses that have been given to this topic. However, I still have questions.

[i cannot yet post links, but the source for my information is: ###### . wikipedia . org - search for "Honor Killing". ]

There are certainly those who claim Islam who have recently (in the last 10+ years) committed honor killings:

- In 2005, Der Spiegel reported: "In the past four months, six Muslim women living in Berlin have been brutally murdered by family members". The article went on to cover the case of Hatun Sürücü, who was murdered by her brother for not staying with her husband of forced marriage, and of "living like a German".

- In March 2009, Turkish immigrant Gülsüm S. was killed for a relationship outside her family's plan for an arranged marriage.

- In April 2008 it came to light that some months prior, a Saudi woman was killed by her father for chatting on Facebook to a man. The murder only came to light when a Saudi cleric referred to the case in an attempt to demonstrate the strife that the website causes.

- As many as 133 women were killed in the Iraqi city of Basra alone in 2006—79 for violation of "Islamic teachings" and 47 for honor killings, according to IRIN, the news branch of the U.N.'s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Amnesty International claims honor killings are also conducted by armed groups, not the government, upon politically active women and those who did not follow a strict dress code, as well as women who are perceived as human rights defenders.

Etc, etc, etc. There are MANY more incidences of women (mostly) and men being killed in the name of Honor and by those who claim Islam.

So my questions are these:

1) How do mainstream Sunnis view these murders?

2) In your opinion, given the scripture cited from the Qur'aan, what is to be the spiritual fate of those Islamic family members who murder others in their family in the name of Islam? - More specifically, how do you feel Alaah will treat them when He meets them?

3) What is the Islamic nation doing internally to thwart further acts of Honor Killings by those who claim Islam?

Thank you for your time.

There are many ugly practices that have creeped into the Muslim world and honor killings is one of them. All of the examples that you mentioned are cases of murder.

Murder is one of the greatest of major sins

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/10923/murder"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/10923/murder[/url]

I took part in a murder, but I was not caught for this crime. I want to expiate for my sin. Will Allaah accept my repentance without me having to hand myself in to the police?

Praise be to Allaah.

Murder (killing a person deliberately), if the victim is a believer, is one of the greatest of major sins, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whoever kills a believer intentionally, his recompense is Hell to abide therein; and the Wrath and the Curse of Allaah are upon him, and a great punishment is prepared for himâ€

[al-Nisaa’ 493]

And it was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“A man will continue to be sound in his religion so long as he does not shed blood which it is forbidden to shed.â€

If you killed a believer deliberately, then there are three rights which are connected to that: the rights of Allaah, the rights of the victim and the rights of the victim’s next of kin.

With regard to the rights of Allaah: if you repent sincerely to your Lord, then Allaah will accept your repentance, because He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: “O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful†[al-Zumar 39:53]

With regard to the rights of the victim, he is not alive so you cannot put things right with him. The matter has to wait until the Day of Resurrection, i.e., the settling of scores with you on behalf of the victim will take place on the Day of Resurrection. But I hope that if your repentance is correct and is accepted by Allaah, then Allaah will compensate the victim with what He wills of His bounty until he is satisfied, and you will be reprieved.

With regard to the rights of the victim’s next of kin, which is the third right, you cannot be absolved of this until you hand yourself over to them. Therefore you have to hand yourself over to the victim’s next of kin, and tell them that you are the one who killed him, then they have the choice. If they want to they can exact vengeance upon you, if the conditions of qasaas are met; or if they want to they may take the diyah (blood money) from you; or if they want to they can forgive you.

From the fataawa of Shaykh ibn ‘Uthaymeen, Majallah al-Da’wah, no. 1789, p. 60

Ruling on honour killings

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/101972/honor%20killing"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/101972/honor%20killing[/url]

I would like to know what the ruling on Honor killings would be and how it should be punished acording to the Laws of the Shariat.

Praise be to Allaah.

Killing a Muslim unlawfully is a serious matter and a grave crime. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whoever kills a believer intentionally, his recompense is Hell to abide therein; and the Wrath and the Curse of Allaah are upon him, and a great punishment is prepared for himâ€

[al-Nisa’ 4:93]

al-Bukhaari (6355) narrated from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The believer will continue to be encompassed by the mercy of Allaah so long as he does not shed blood that it is forbidden to shed.â€

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has explained to us the reasons for which it becomes permissible to shed this blood. He said: “It is not permissible to shed the blood of a Muslim who bears witness that there is no god but Allaah and that I am the Messenger of Allaah except in three cases: a life for a life (murder), zina of one of who is previously-married (adultery), and the one who changes his religion and forsakes the jamaa’ah.†Narrated by al-Bukhaari (6370) and Muslim (3175). From this it is clear that zina on the part of one who is married is one of the reasons that make it permissible to kill a person, but the zaani (adulterer) cannot be killed unless two conditions are met:

-1-

He should be previously-married. The scholars have explained what is meant by previously-married in this case. Zakariya al-Ansaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Asna’l-Mataalib (4/128): The previously-married person, whether male or female, is any adult of sound mind who has previously had intercourse within a valid marriage. End quote. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Sharh al-Zaad (6/120): There are five conditions for (being described as) previously-married:

1- Intercourse

2- Within a valid marriage

3- Being an adult

4- Being of sound reason

5- Being free (i.e., not a slave).

End quote.

-2-

The second condition is that it should be proven that the hadd punishment is deserved, by the testimony of four male witnesses who saw the private parts meet, or the person should freely admit to having committed zina, without being forced to do so.

If it is proven that he deserves the hadd punishment, it is not permissible for individuals to carry out this punishment themselves. Rather the matter must be referred to the ruler or his deputy to prove the crime and carry out the punishment, because if individuals carry out hadd punishments, that will lead to a great deal of corruption and evil.

Ibn Muflih al-Hanbali (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Furoo’ (6/53): It is haraam for anyone to carry out a hadd punishment except the ruler or his deputy. This is something on which the fuqaha’ of Islam are unanimously agreed, as was stated in al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (5/280): The fuqaha’ are unanimously agreed that the one who should carry out hadd punishments is the ruler or his deputy, whether the punishment is transgressing one of the limits of Allaah, may He be exalted, such as zina, or a transgression against another person, such as slander. End quote.

Concealing one who has committed this evil deed so that he may repent and set his affairs straight before he dies is better than exposing him, let alone killing him. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) turned away from Maa’iz (may Allaah be pleased with him) after he admitted committing zina, and he ignored him until he had repeated his confession several times, then he carried out the hadd punishment on him.

Based on this, that which is called “honour killing†is a transgression and wrongdoing, because it is killing one who does not deserve to be killed, namely the virgin if she commits zina (fornication), but the shar’i punishment in her case is flogging and banishment for one year, not execution, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “(The punishment for zina) of a virgin with a virgin person is one hundred lashes and exile for one year.†Narrated by Muslim. The one who kills her has killed a believing soul whom Allaah has forbidden to be killed, and there is a stern warning concerning that, as Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who invoke not any other ilaah (god) along with Allaah, nor kill such person as Allaah has forbidden, except for just cause, nor commit illegal sexual intercourse ___ and whoever does this shall receive the punishment.

69. The torment will be doubled to him on the Day of Resurrection, and he will abide therein in disgraceâ€

[al-Furqaan 25:68-69]

Even if we assume that she deserves to be executed (if she was previously-married and committed zina), no one should do that but the ruler – as stated above. Moreover, in many cases killing is done on the basis of accusations and speculation, without proving whether the immoral action even took place.

And Allaah knows best.

Greetings to all...

I mean no disrespect to any of your beliefs or to Islam with my comments.

I appreciate all of the responses that have been given to this topic. However, I still have questions.

[i cannot yet post links, but the source for my information is: ###### . wikipedia . org - search for "Honor Killing". ]

There are certainly those who claim Islam who have recently (in the last 10+ years) committed honor killings:

- In 2005, Der Spiegel reported: "In the past four months, six Muslim women living in Berlin have been brutally murdered by family members". The article went on to cover the case of Hatun Sürücü, who was murdered by her brother for not staying with her husband of forced marriage, and of "living like a German".

- In March 2009, Turkish immigrant Gülsüm S. was killed for a relationship outside her family's plan for an arranged marriage.

- In April 2008 it came to light that some months prior, a Saudi woman was killed by her father for chatting on Facebook to a man. The murder only came to light when a Saudi cleric referred to the case in an attempt to demonstrate the strife that the website causes.

- As many as 133 women were killed in the Iraqi city of Basra alone in 2006—79 for violation of "Islamic teachings" and 47 for honor killings, according to IRIN, the news branch of the U.N.'s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Amnesty International claims honor killings are also conducted by armed groups, not the government, upon politically active women and those who did not follow a strict dress code, as well as women who are perceived as human rights defenders.

Etc, etc, etc. There are MANY more incidences of women (mostly) and men being killed in the name of Honor and by those who claim Islam.

So my questions are these:

1) How do mainstream Sunnis view these murders?

2) In your opinion, given the scripture cited from the Qur'aan, what is to be the spiritual fate of those Islamic family members who murder others in their family in the name of Islam? - More specifically, how do you feel Alaah will treat them when He meets them?

3) What is the Islamic nation doing internally to thwart further acts of Honor Killings by those who claim Islam?

Thank you for your time.

Honor killings are no more than ancient cultural baggage that Islam has never yet cleansed itself of. Christians and Jews no longer pay any mind to the edicts of Leviticus which are just as scary. These two groups have changed with the times. Islam in much of the middle east has not. Islam has lived in isolation for far too long. It will take lots of time and patience. I can say one thing for sure as a Muslim of European descent born in America. Muslims wanting to be Americans will have to change their ideas about law or go to prison for their misdeeds.

The good news is that Islam is about to begin a long overdue renaissance. Because of mixing now with the modern world the old cultural ways that have tainted Islam for far too long will begin to be set aside. This new Islam is the one that I have declared Shadada with and joined. Never will I condone violence against anyone no matter the reason. Honor killings and other terrible inhumane ignorant methods of "justice" are no more than the display of foolish male vanity and pride. If Islam is to survive all those things have to GO.

JamesYaqub

Taking the life of another person is only allowed in the three situations I've described. Even then, in the case of murder, compensation can be given instead. I think there are more rules surrounding all three situations but I don't know them all. As far as I'm aware, killing is not prescribed in a situation where for example, a Muslim marries someone of a different faith. Islamically, men are allowed to marry Muslim/Jewish/Christian women as they recognised as 'people of the book,' in the Q'uran. Women can only marry Muslim men as children from the marriage will be brought up with the father's faith and therefore, they should be Muslim. Men cannot marry women who are non-Muslim/Jewish/Christian because of ensuing faith/spiritual issues.

There is a problem here that Islam has to face up to. These punishments as noted above are illegal in western countries. There will be no compromise in this. Islam is going to have to update it's thinking. Any Muslim who thinks that he can kill in the name of his religion in my country is going to find himself in prison for a very long time.

JamesYaqub