Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
m0nica3

Medication

Salaams,

I had a question regarding medication. If you have to see a doctor and get an injection, does that break your fast for that day?? Im inclined to think not since its not being swallowed.

PropellerAds

I hope I have not misunderstood this:

This includes two things:

1- Transfusion of blood to one who is fasting – such as if he bleeds heavily and is given a blood transfusion. This invalidates the fast because blood is formed from food and drink.

2- Receiving via a needle (as in the case of a drip) nourishing substances which take the place of food and drink, because this is the same as food and drink. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, Majaalis Shahr Ramadaan, p/ 70.

With regard to injections which do not replace food and drink, rather they are administered for the purpose of medical treatment – such as penicillin or insulin – or are given to energize the body, or for the purpose of vaccinations, these do not affect the fast, whether they are intravenous or intramuscular (injected into a vein or a muscle). Fataawa Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem, 4/189. But to be on the safe side, these injections may be given at night.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/38023/fast"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/38023/fast[/url]

To stay on the safe side, I would make up that day when Eid is over. What kind of an injection is you do not mind me asking?

Edited by Orthodox