Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
silentthunder

Moderate Muslims

Do any of you consider yourselves to be moderate Muslims? If so, what does that mean to you? If you feel as though some might not like your answers please PM me as I am very curious to hear what the differences are.

PropellerAds

Assalamu Alaikum, There is no such thing as a Moderate Muslim, Extremist Muslim, Conservative Muslim, Liberal Muslim etc.... You are a Muslim and you have to follow the commandments of Allah as shown by the Prophet Mohammed Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam, there is no pick and choose in Deen.

For me when people say Moderate Muslims it means someone who compromise according to the situation they are in or according to who they are with.

Salaam.

Moderation in religion means that one does not exaggerate and go beyond the limit set by Allaah, and that one does not neglect it and fall short of the limit set by Allaah.

Moderation in religion means following the example of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Exaggeration means trying to do more than he did, and negligence means not reaching that level.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/9466/moderate"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/9466/moderate[/url]

Based on the quote, I consider myself to be moderate in religion. Or at least try my best most of the time to follow Islamic teachings. If something prevents me, Allah is very merciful to these types. Although it would be better if they tried everything possible to follow the commands. Our attitudes toward people might portray differently but that's just because a perosn was upset or something.

Edited by Orthodox

Assalamu Alaikum, There is no such thing as a Moderate Muslim, Extremist Muslim, Conservative Muslim, Liberal Muslim etc.... You are a Muslim and you have to follow the commandments of Allah as shown by the Prophet Mohammed Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam, there is no pick and choose in Deen.

But there does seem to be differences in how people live out their faith. Some think that Islam condones terrorist acts like 9/11, while others think that Islam condemns such attacks. Even if these labels are inaccurate, there does seem to be at least something behind them

For me when people say Moderate Muslims it means someone who compromise according to the situation they are in or according to who they are with.

I can understand your opinion on this, because it can seem like what the West is looking for in Moderate Muslims is actually a compromise of Islam with their own Western ideals. I'm not sure what can be done about this, but I don't think you should so easily surrender the term just because it is subject to abuse in Western media and parlance.

actually i agree with both answers about ,the first which say that There is no such thing as a Moderate Muslim etc,but there is a muslim,and the second one.

so we see that because there is a people who overdone thier thoughts in it and other who not ,so we see this classification among muslims ,but on truth there is only one name,muslim

but if i have to see myself according to this classifcation ,i am moderate muslim.

Edited by samar

I agree with you about being conflicted on this matter, and sympathize with umAhmad over her concern (sorry if I didn't make that entirely clear earlier). I just don't know what should be done about the differences I mentioned earlier.

:sl:

Depends what your definition of moderation is , Islam itself is called Umatan Wasata or the Middle or moderate Ummah (Nation) . So in reality all Muslims are fundamentalists holding on to the teachings of Islam and moderate in the religion and dealing with other faiths in General .

Wow, I love the answers I received to this question! I was just curious because I have met people who say that their views are rather moderate, they follow Allah and the pillars, say their prayers and the like but their views on life are a bit different but not against the Qu'ran. They just are liberal thinkers I guess you could call them.

Islamic views on life should not differ that much if its within the Shariah , you cannot let your women folk remove their Hijab and your kids have Girlfriend/Boyfriend relationships and claim we are moderate muslims , thats not what is meant by it.

liberal is a totally different agenda and it leads to secularism which opposes Islamic teachings period .

secularism which opposes Islamic teachings period .

This seemed related to (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/show.php/showtopic/733136.html"]a topic I just started[/url] about the compatibility (or incompatibility) of secularism and Islam in the form of a Muslim President. Do you think you would agree with the quote in that thread?

Are you quoting someone, SaracenSoldier? It isn't clear what you are doing there.