Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the sad clown

Does Obama Have The Wrong People?

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_english.aljazeera(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/indepth/spotlight/israelpalestiniantalks/2010/09/201091142936454753.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_english.aljazeera(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/indepth/spotl...2936454753.html[/url]

Further weakening his position, Abbas does not speak for the entire Palestinian public. Years of enmity still separate his Fatah party from Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip; Egyptian efforts to broker a reconciliation deal have stalled.

"Even if Abbas wants to make an agreement, there are serious questions to be raised about what you do with that agreement if Hamas is in the picture," Kurtzer said.

Nor does Abbas represent the entire West Bank. Hundreds of demonstrators staged a peaceful rally last week to protest renewed israeli-Palestinian talks - a rally that was (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yethaaretz(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/print-edition/features/amira-hass-who-s-suppressing-opposition-rallies-in-ramallah-1.310973?localLinksEnabled=false"]broken up by members of the Palestinian security forces[/url]. The Fatah movement is riven with splits, and polls in the West Bank rarely put Abbas' popularity above 50 per cent.

Even if an agreement is made, how meaningful will it be if Abbas' position is as weakened as this article states? I wonder if the negotiations are mortally wounded before they have even begun.

PropellerAds

salam alikum,

well, i am not in to politik or, i can say ,i left it long time because of headach politic people give..

but i can answer y this,any negotiation in this area , plaestine and israel, is very difficult ,

but i dunno why i feel that obama really wanna do something about it,

so lets see what will happen

I can understand Obama's desire for a resolution, I mean the conflict is such a huge source of antagonism between the US and many Muslims. It is hoped that removing that thorn will help ease these tensions and lead to better relations. Of course, it isn't nearly as effective if you don't have negotiating parties that can actually finalize the deal.