Islamic Forum
alexamasan

Looking For A Qur'an, But Don't Know Which Translation

Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a Qur'an, but I'm not sure which translation to choose from. I want to learn and understand more about Islam (though I'd probably still take things out of context :sl: ). I am not the best reader, so I hope I don't choose one with archaic language like some bibles have. Some people have told me that the translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali was good, though some others have told me that version isn't so good. What would you guys personally suggest? Or would it really matter?

Thanks

PropellerAds

I can't tell you which English translation is best. I do know that Abdullah Yusuf Ali is very popular, although it is older (1934). I have heard that Muhammad Taqi al-Din al-Hilali and Muhammad Muhsin Khan's translation is often readily available, partly due to its distribution being financed by Saudi Arabian government. I read that Muhammad Asad's translation is good, but this might be questionable since it is banned in Saudi Arabia.

Hopefully some of our Muslim members will see this and offer some suggestions and/or correct mine.

I suggest downloading (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=726909"]this[/url], or reading it online (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showforum=577"]here[/url].

This translation of the meanings of The Quran, by Sahih International, is a very clear, straight forward and easy to understand translation. It uses very simple English vocabulary, (not the ancient thou-thee one!). Highly recommended.

Thanks dot, I was just reading about that one on Wikipedia. Here is an excerpt about it:

The Holy Qur'an by Saheeh International is the second major modern translation originating from Dar Abul Qasim Publishing House, Saudi Arabia. It has been translated by a team of three women converts to Islam. Umm Muhammad, on of the translators is supposed to be the major contributor. It claims to rectify inconsistencies in and improve upon the English language of the Hilali-Khan translation, and as such is assumed to be based upon the later translation.

I thought I would add that just because of the variation in spelling Sahih (Saheeh), which might throw off alexamason when he goes to look for the translation you were suggesting.

Also, this question has come up before (I would have been surprised if it hadn't).

Here are a couple of threads that also discuss English translations of the Qur'an:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=40975"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=40975[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=198317"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=198317[/url]

The first Qur'an I ever picked up was the Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation. God introduced me to Islam through his work so I have always been very partial to it. He's almost poetic in the words that he uses. It's really beautiful.

Interestingly, my English translation of the Qur'an isn't mentioned, and doesn't seem that popular. It was done by a committee (Nurettin Uzunoglu, Tevfik Rustu Topuzoglu, Ali Ozek, Mehmed Maksudoglu) and published by 1-877-WHY-Islam Publications. I bought it because it had some commentary that I thought would be helpful at the time. Also, it was very inexpensive (found it at (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yethalfpricebooks(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]half price books[/url]).

I would suggest a word for word translation. This sounds impossible. Once you see how it's done you'll realize its possible.

However, before I give you a disposal of the Qur'an with the Arabic text, I must know if you are sincere and desire to know more about the Qur'an. Are you? Otherwise I am not allowed to give yo u a disposal of the Qur'an with Arabic text.

You can have the Qur'an without hte Arabic text. It is something like a commentary of the real Qur'an. Believers, when reading its translation, who do not know Arabic, get inspiration from it and affirmation against of what other people argue and contradicting Islam on. I can give examples if you wish. It happened to me so many times. For example, when my mother bothered me for covering, I was reading the Qur'an adn I get across a verse that answers her, I read it aloud to her, etc...And that verse is quoted often when others prefer worldly matters over Allah's commands.

If you are reading the Qur'an with Arabic text and translation, I encourage you to wash yourself before reading it. That's what we must do (when it is with Arabic text). And the Qur'an should be kept somewhere that's exalted. For example, a shelf that is high.

It is better to put it in a high place so that it will be exalted in both the literal and metaphorical sense. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Exalted (in dignity), purified†[‘Abasa 80:14]. If you need to put it down, then put it down in a place that is raised up, even if only a little. If that is not possible then it is permissible to put it on the ground, on a clean carpet and the like. The Qur’aan should not be put down in a low place or a place that is impure or on the dirt, because that is showing disrespect towards it. But if a person needs to put it down on a clean carpet, there is nothing wrong with that, so long as one is keen to exalt it both literally and metaphorically.

Advice When Reading The Qur’aan, By Shaykh Saalih Al-Fawzaan

“You must contemplate when you recite, for if you do so, your mind will remain concentrated, your heart will feel the positive effects of the Qur’aan, and you will be encouraged to continue.

On the other hand, you shouldn’t be concerned about when you will complete a chapter or a section; your sole intention should be to contemplate what you recite from Allaah’s Book.

The Messenger (saw) would read for long periods at a time during the night.

When he (saw) read a verse that suggested meanings of mercy, he (saw) would ask from Allaah. And when he read a verse that mentioned punishment, he would seek refuge in Allaah.

And this clearly shows that the Prophet (saw) would not only recite the Qur’aan, but would also read it with an attentive heart and a reflective mind.â€

[Taken from "Islamic Rulings Regarding The Qur'aan", p. 14. Quoting from "Fataawa Al-Fawzaan"]

Source: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_theauthenticbase.wordpress.co...ih-al-fawzaan/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_theauthenticbase.wordpress.co...ih-al-fawzaan/[/url]

Edited by Orthodox

OOps, I cannot edit my post any longer. Sorry for the wrong wording.

Salaam, Below is the link to an English Translation of the Qur'aan and also commentary of it which explains in detail when the verser were revealed and the history surrounding the verses. I am sure you will get a good understanding of the verses because of the commentary. This is an authentic translation and commentary.

The text can be downloaded for free. It is in Acrobat format.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamibayanaat(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/EMQ.htm"]Translation And Commentary Of The Holy Qur'aan.[/url]

Salaam.

If you are looking for the translated version of the Holy Quran tell someone to get "The Noble Quran English translation of the meanings and the commentary from Dr. Muhammad Taqi ud din Hilali and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan" thats printed by King Fahd complex for the printing of the Holy Quran Madinah, KSA.. in my view it is the best translation and had a life changing effect on me..i read it out of curiosity when i was a teen and liked it so much that i would read the translation most of the times and it cleared up a lot of things for me early in life..Alhamdulillah. I would recommend it to all. JZK