Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
samar

Is It True That Pork Is Forbidden In Christinaity?

salam alikum

i would like to ask question,not sure where to put it ,but i hope this is the right place.

i read this sentence over net

God in the Old Testament (OT) clearly says pork is forbidden.

so ,is it truly that pork is forbidden in christinaity?

PropellerAds

These are quotes from Bible and the Quran

---

For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many. They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one [tree] in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD. ((Isaiah 66:16-17)

And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he [is] unclean to you. Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they [are] unclean to you. (Leviticus 11:7-8)

And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it [is] unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass.(Deuteronomy 14:8)

A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon altars of brick; Which remain among the graves, and lodge in the monuments, which eat swine's flesh, and broth of abominable [things is in] their vessels;(Isaiah 65:3-4)

He has only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and any (food) over which the name of other than God has been invoked. But if one is forced by necessity, without willful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits,- then God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (The Holy Quran 16:115)

He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been invoked besides that of God. But if one is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits,- then is he guiltless. For God is Oft-forgiving Most Merciful. ((The Holy Quran 2:173)

so ,is it truly that pork is forbidden in christinaity?

No, it is not forbidden. I think most Christians would base this first on Acts 10, in which Peter has a vision from God about eating unclean animals, although I don't think this is a very strong justification, since it seems to me to be more of an metaphor than a comment directly on the subject of unclean food. In my mind, a more significant passage that does deal with the question more directly is this from Acts 15, the council of Jerusalem:

The apostles and elders, your brothers, To the Gentile believers in Antioch, Syria and Cilicia: Greetings. 24We have heard that some went out from us without our authorization and disturbed you, troubling your minds by what they said. 25So we all agreed to choose some men and send them to you with our dear friends Barnabas and Paul— 26men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27Therefore we are sending Judas and Silas to confirm by word of mouth what we are writing. 28It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell.

According to this, it would seem that the Apostles and elders of the Jerusalem church made a determination that the Old Testament ceremonial laws, including dietary laws, would not be imposed upon Gentile (non-Jewish) Christians. This is even further modified, or explained, by Paul in his letters (particularly (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbiblegateway(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians+8&version=NIV"]1 Corinthians 8[/url]). Most Christians would see these two in agreement, with Paul's passage explaining the reasoning behind the decree recorded in the book of Acts. From my now non-Christian perspective, it isn't as clear to me that this was in fact a point of agreement (Revelation 2 makes this questionable, but depends on how it is being interpreted), but I acknowledge that it is at least possible.

Thus, for Christians, the statement you quoted is certainly true, pork was forbidden in the Old Testament, but due to passages like the above in the New Testament, these requirements are understood to not apply to Christians (although there is nothing against voluntarily following them).