Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wulfhere

Is Everything In The Koran Regarded As Literally True?

A blatant red herring.

We're not talking about evidences and I really hope you're not going to revert to the "but does God exist?" argument every time we explain away something illogical you say. In this hypothetical situation, you had the imagination to contemplate the effect that a divine miracle would have on the Earth, and even pondered how the world could have missed it. You stepped out of the realm of plain existence to even entertain that idea. And then like a turtle retracting its head, you snatched back when I stepped up to challenge your otherworldly observation.

If you're truly honest in your stance, you shouldn't even be debating the probability of a divine miracle if you're going to end the debate with the claim that our points are moot because you don't believe it happened. In that case, I would suggest that you stick with the basics, i.e. you can spend all of your energy wrestling with the eternal question of "but does God exist?"

We're talking about logic. Logically, an All-Powerful being can do anything. Illogically, an All-Powerful being cannot do everything.

If that chocolate asteroid theory had a logical explanation for a supernatural event, you wouldn't see me making illogical statements to counter its effect on the supernatural event, now would you? Not even if I obviously don't believe it exists.

Salam.

The point I was trying to make was that yes, I can of course imagine an all-powerful god, just as I can imagine a chocolate asteroid, but it doesn't mean I believe in either of them.

As it happens, I believe in the existence of many gods and goddesses, but I don't believe in an all-powerful supreme being. Such an all-powerful supreme being defies the laws of logic. Can he make a rock that is too heavy for him to lift?

PropellerAds
As it happens, I believe in the existence of many gods and goddesses, but I don't believe in an all-powerful supreme being. Such an all-powerful supreme being defies the laws of logic. Can he make a rock that is too heavy for him to lift?

You might find this interesting, but my agnostic/atheistic (I'll have to ask which way he leans), dismissed this argument as fallacious just last week. Omnipotence, he argued, does not mean that you can do anything, but rather that you can do anything that is logically possible. Contradictions are not included in that list.

You might find this interesting, but my agnostic/atheistic (I'll have to ask which way he leans), dismissed this argument as fallacious just last week. Omnipotence, he argued, does not mean that you can do anything, but rather that you can do anything that is logically possible. Contradictions are not included in that list.

So an all-powerful god cannot change the laws of logic? In that case he is not all-powerful.

Perhaps it is your (and my) feeble human logic that are unable to think of a solution, considering that we're trying to solve the dilemna by relying on our knowledge of the world. Assuming that we're still speaking hypothetically, God is not only All-Powerful, He is also All-Wise. What you and I think is a conundrum would be an easy answer for Him.

TSC's response was also good.

So an all-powerful god cannot change the laws of logic? In that case he is not all-powerful.

Pretty sure that God is not subject to the fallacies of human logic, so He would not need to change anything.

Salam.

Perhaps it is your (and my) feeble human logic that are unable to think of a solution, considering that we're trying to solve the dilemna by relying on our knowledge of the world. Assuming that we're still speaking hypothetically, God is not only All-Powerful, He is also All-Wise. What you and I think is a conundrum would be an easy answer for Him.

TSC's response was also good.

Pretty sure that God is not subject to the fallacies of human logic, so He would not need to change anything.

Salam.

Does Islam have any teachings about where god might have come from? I know Christianity doesn't.

Can he make a rock that is too heavy for him to lift?

This is an illogical question, and the responses to it are numerous. Here's (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hamzatzortzis.blogspot(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2010/03/gods-power-will.html"]one[/url].

Does Islam have any teachings about where god might have come from? I know Christianity doesn't.

Beginnings and ends are subject to time. Meaning for something to begin, to have a middle and then to end, a frame of time must pass.

God created time and space. He is not bound by either, and therefore, God has no beginning.

Salam.

Beginnings and ends are subject to time. Meaning for something to begin, to have a middle and then to end, a frame of time must pass.

God created time and space. He is not bound by either, and therefore, God has no beginning.

Salam.

What does Islam say about why he created the universe and the human race?

Again, you have simply misconstrued what all-powerful means. In fact, you have done nothing but rephrase your initial error.

Because that's how we reach the core of what you actually believe.

That actually tells me a lot more about you than it tells you about me :sl:

Actually, I am fairly certain both religions have fairly clear positions on the subject. God is eternal, and so does not come from anywhere, since there is no terminus to his being.

Because that's how we reach the core of what you actually believe.

That actually tells me a lot more about you than it tells you about me :sl:

What does Islam say about why he created the universe and the human race?

This is an interesting question and one with serious implications when understood, reading the tafsirs on certain verses of the Qur'an should shed some light on this issue. Here's one I read often,

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnur(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/intro/nurlibrary/m_risale?id=20&page=133#read"]The Eleventh Word[/url]

Salam