Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the sad clown

Qur'an Burning Church Has Only 12 Members!

I didn't realize just how weird this group was until I read this:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetvoanews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/english/news/Evangelical-Christian-Group-in-Florida-Plans-to-Burn-Korans-102394819.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetvoanews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/english/news/Evange...-102394819.html[/url]

The firewood is cut at Dove World Outreach Center. And the church's pastor, Reverend Terry Jones, says despite receiving death threats, he and other church members plan to burn 200 Korans on Saturday. "International Burn a Koran Day. This, we only put up because our smaller sign was vandalized many times," he said.

Reverend Jones says he and other members now carry pistols to defend the congregation of some 12 people.

PropellerAds
May Allah (swt) guide them Ameen. It is ironic that they are bringing a lot of attention to the Qur'an. Hopefully one of them will read it Insha'Allah.

Yes, as bad as all this seems it could actually be a blessing in disguise. There's no telling how many people Allah may guide to the Qur'an if they just think, "I wonder what this Qur'an is about and why they wanna burn it. I should read it!" Insha'Allah I hope that Allah will let this happen on a mass scale and that He will just give the ummah patience and grace in this situation. I just want peace.

and that He will just give the ummah patience and grace in this situation. I just want peace.

It is hard to tell from media reports, since so much attention is paid to angry mobs (of course, how could a camera crew record people peacefully ignoring wackos), and I am afraid that this is the impression Americans are getting right now, that there is a huge riot across the Islamic world over this. I think there is a lot of misinformation going out to Muslims though also, which is why I wanted to highlight that it isn't as though these people (all 12 of them!) are a normal part of American society. They are as fringe an element of our society as you can get. I have read reports that some Muslims in Afghanistan think that the American government somehow supports this. The whole media reporting around it seems very distorted, on both sides, and I really think that the whole thing would be such a non-issue if people would just report it in a normal and factual fashion. I mean, I live in the US, and I didn't know how cultish this group was until I came across that article I mentioned.

These "church" people are crazy.

They know it is insulting another religion, but they still do it.

They know it will endanger American lives, but they still do it.

They know that almost everyone condemns them, but they still do it.

Why do they do it? They want the attention.

They want us to pay attention to them.

White curtains,

Looks like this Koran burning will get oodles of people to read the Koran. Including Christians.

From a BBC article:

Initiatives to support the local Muslim community have spread in recent days.

Gainesville churches are planning a variety of interfaith activities of their own, including common readings of the Koran, Christian and Hebrew scriptures.

Source: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11241340"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11241340[/url]

Looks like this Koran burning will get oodles of people to read the Koran. Including Christians.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that, but I haven't had a chance to check the news in the last couple of days either. I will have to check and see if there is anything like that going on where I live.

Who cares. We are a two kuffar talking about Muslim business.

Well, I think even as a non-Muslim I have a stake in better relations between the West and Muslims. Why wouldn't I do something to promote that?

The news media in Los Angeles reported on a local church (forget what Christian denomination, one of the more open-minded ones) that hosted a reading of the Qu'ran. The coverage was positive and refreshing after nearly two weeks of hysteria about that fool in Florida with the matches. It was reported that the attendees broke down into small groups to read certain passages for themselves, rather than one person telling everyone about it. It sounded like a very positive activity.

I can't speak for the whole nation, but that's what the average person here heard on the radio news on 9/11.

I didn't realize just how weird this group was until I read this:

It was 50, the others left when they realized they were getting 'guidance' from an extremist.

It was 50, the others left when they realized they were getting 'guidance' from an extremist.

Thanks. I was wondering about that discrepency in the reporting. That explains things nicely.

lol [at] 12

Which should have been the only response these people had received, from both Muslims and the media. You know something is amiss when the reporters covering the church are more numerous than the church itself.

We have to be careful not to let the media inflame us against innocent people. Most Christians were willing to leave Muslims alone, but have been fooled by the controlled media into thinking a certain way.

Think about the following: Why is it that a church with only 12 members can make national media attention for anti-Islamic actions, but if a church which wants to promote Christian-Muslim dialogue, we never hear about it? The media wishes to make each group look bad in the eyes of the other, and for people to fight against one another, religious conflicts will eventually make it easier to force secularism and eventually atheism on everyone.

I think that might be a more far fetched idea than the idea that foreign media caught onto the event before American media did, stoked the flames in foreign counties and the national press caught wind that a local event was making waves in foreign lands and then went down to give some coverage. This formed a nice positive feed back look where the pastor says something crazy, people in foreign lands say crazier things, and the pastor topped them, all giving ever attention hording personality a chance to make some media time, on and on. Media got ratings, pundits got to make their talking points, etc.