Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
zebanoor

Does The Past Ever Come Back To Haunt You?

Salaams peeps! hope everyone had a wonderful, happy smiley eid :sl:

I really do hope ive posed this in the right place..

Well today i had a old friend of mine randomly ask me something. I cannot say what it is but it was something to do with the past, she had heard something from someone else about me and was asking me if it was true. Its been 2 years now since ive properly embraced Islam. Before that i wasnt religious at all i have done things i deeply regret. We all make mistakes in life, and inve learnt from mine and theres no way im going back or looking back.

Whats bothering me is why are people gossiping about me? Stuff in the past comes back to haunt me its and its really sad because i seem to think everything ive achieved in the past 2 years is not enough to erase the past. I know the past will stay there i just hope ive done enough tauba and ive been forgiven, and i shall carry on doing tauba. I feel like the image i am building of myself, jilbab, hijab etc could be destroyed by the harmful words of others. I am not the person who i used to be. Its really hard for me to turn a blind eye to this, i hate being the centre of attention and the thought of people talknig about me is really bugging me.

Are there muslims on this forum who have experianced this, i really need advice on how to deal with this issue.. So pretty please let me know if the past is haunting anyone else out there.

PropellerAds

I am not Muslim, and so you may not care about my advice, but I will offer it nevertheless.

You are right, you have changed, and these things should not be considered a reflection upon your current self. But also, as you said, the consequences of our actions do linger on even after we have renounced them. There is no way that you can stop people from talking about you. What you can do is try to communicate your own narrative about this to your friends and allow time to erode these past events. Have you shared what you told us with this friend of yours? I think it is a very good explanation and indicates the change that you have undergone and the separation between who you are now and the past you have rejected. If they bring this up, continue to reiterate that it is your past and not who you are now, and that they should look to your present behavior if they wish to know more about who you are. Thus it is important to not lose heart, but to continue to obediently live out your faith. Two years, although it may not seem like it, is a relatively short period of time in a persons life. Give yourself more time to make these changes sink in, both in your own conception of who you are, as well as in the perceptions of others.

You cannot change what others do, you can only control what your own actions are. Try focusing your attention on that and brush aside these gossiping voices as just as much a part of your past as the events they talk about. Do not let the past or these past speakers dictate your present or future, not even the time it takes to worry about them.

Thankyou for your advice SadClown, I guess people will always have something bad to say and gossip. I shall not look back and focus on the present :sl:

Assalamu Alaykum

I see a double standard here, because the gossipers raise their gossip against you because of your past, but they don't mind gossiping and consuming your flesh through backbiting. You need to advice them that what they do is not allowed in Islam.