Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Amoeba

Help - Serious Sinful Addiction

Asalam alaykum,

I need some serious help with an addiction I have and I cannot get help the conventional way because, well... the doctors would tell me I don't have a problem.

It is an act of shirk to draw animals or humans and drawing animals has been second nature to me since I was a toddler. I had a freakishly exceptional talent for it without even needing to be taught! I often wonder why Allah gave me this talent if it is haraam... perhaps He is testing my faith? Because it is my therapy and my security blanket. And it shouldn't be my security blanket. The only one I should ever be turning to is Allah, I do realise this. But I still lack that connection with Allah and I know that is because I often make the mistake of becoming easily distracted. Drawing is one of those distractions. It's a vicious cycle.

To me it's not just doodling. I work on big projects involving illustrations of imaginary and real animals. Not as a profession but as a hobby, so I don't even have the excuse that it's my livelihood. I have thousands of pages worth of pictures, all haraam because they depict things with faces. On my computer, at my desk, in my bedroom, etc. And I'm addicted to adding more to the collection. I don't actually work on it as much as an artist would, but whenever I have a spare moment I start drawing. Fictional animals are something that I have always liked to draw. As I said I had a freakish talent for it.

The reasons I am having difficulty quitting is because:

1) I have no interest in making halal pictures. At least if I wanted to do that it would be easier to let go of drawing animals, but I can't even draw a brick never mind a landscape or a house. I think the only art I do like to make is celestial art (since landscapes are permissible I assume space-scapes are too?), and I can't do that the classical way, only digitally. So my fingers are still itching to work the pencil.

2) The projects I work on are continual and extensive. I really looked forward to seeing the end of them and still do.

3) I have always had a fascination for imaginary creatures and expressing visually what comes to my mind - even if nobody else ever sees it. Without that outlet for my imagination, the pressure builds up and I start getting withdrawal symptoms.

4) It's the one talent I have. I feel useless and talentless if I cannot draw.

In spite of these points I'd still really like to learn to quit and even fill in this desire to draw animals with something more wholesome and productive, but something that's not going to leave me struggling to fight away the urges to draw again. Can anybody help with this issue?

PropellerAds

:sl:

Sister first of all whoever told you that drawing a picture of someone is Shirk is greatly mistaken, the most strictest of stances will tell you that it is not Shirk and it might open the doorway to it if you draw certain people like pious ones who will be venerated later on and over glorified and that will lead to shirk .

We Should learn our religion clearly before reaching our own conclusions :sl: .

All of the sources that gave the stance you mentioned were not supported by any sources. However the ones that said it was shirk explained why and provided sources. So I am sorry that I got that impression when all the evidence pointed in that direction. What do you suggest I try to find out exactly?

But, as you can see, I was trying to learn and I wasn't reaching my own conclusions.

Is making pictures shirk?

Is drawing or capturing pictures of the livings by hand or camera Shirk?.

Praise be to Allaah.

We have already discussed the ruling on making photographic images with a camera. You can refer to questions nos. 13633, 10668, 7918.

With regard to the question of whether making pictures is shirk:

The answer is that it is not shirk, but it may be a means that leads to shirk or associating others with Allaah, especially if the picture is of someone who is venerated by the people, such as scholars, righteous people and rulers. The first case of shirk among mankind was through images and statues. It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said, concerning the verse in which Allaah says of the people of Nooh (interpretation of the meaning):

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/26841"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/26841[/url]

This is one of the strictest Islamic websites i know when it comes to these matters .

Okay, it's not shirk but it can have the potential to lead to it and it's still pretty bad, and the drawing of animals on its own is still not allowed.

It depends what exactly you are drawing and why , the intention, but not shirk at all .

What leads to it has been explained and in this day and age if you are a Muslim who knows your religion how can drawing something lead you to shirk ? does that mean you ( you in general terms) think your Iman is weak enough to worship a drawing ?

Not at all, there is no risk in me worshipping my work.

However, I have found nothing to say that a person's intention has anything to do with it, whether they intend to worship it or whether they don't intend to. There was no differentiation made. There was also no differentiation made over whether or not they think it will lead someone else or themselves to shirk. That's why I became worried.

I have this thing as well..whenever i see a pencil-pen i start drawing cartoon pictures, human faces, etc..from this Ramadan im trying my best to avoid it and whenever i feel the urge i draw a star, crescent ..im not very clear on this..is drawing just for creativity allowed and is animation as a career allowed? Any help would be appreciated as its been bothering me for some time..JZK.

I just stick to drawing nature or inanimate objects instead , yet I do not believe this is Shirk , believing that means that even cartoon characters and all animation is shirk which is Just extreme and our religion is anything but extreme.

It is still wrong that's the point I'm getting at. I have already agreed with you that it's not shirk haven't I? But not-shirk doesn't automatically mean it's permissible. Drawing animals and humans is forbidden, even if it on its own is not shirk. No distinction was made between intentions.

Assalamualikum

Sister Amoeba,

What is the ruling on drawing in Islam?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Drawing is of two types:

One is drawing pictures of animate beings. It says in the Sunnah that this is forbidden. It is not permitted to draw anything that depicts animate beings, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, according to the saheeh hadeeth: “Every image maker will be in the Fire.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The most severely punished of people on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers, those who tried to imitate the creation of Allaah.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The makers of these images will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and they will be told, ‘Give life to that which you have created.’”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed those who consume riba (interest, usury) and those who pay it, and he cursed the image-makers. This indicates that making images is forbidden. The scholars interpreted that as referring to images of animate beings such as animals, people and birds.

With regard to drawing inanimate objects – which is the second type of drawing – there is no sin in that, such as drawing mountains, trees, planes, cars and the like. There is nothing wrong with that, according to the scholars.

With regard to forbidden kinds of pictures, an exception is made in cases of necessity, such as drawing pictures of criminals so that they will be known and caught, or pictures for identity cards which are essential and which cannot be obtained otherwise, and other cases of necessity. If the ruler decides that producing images of criminals is necessary, because of the seriousness of their crimes and to protect the Muslims from their evil when they are known, or for other reasons, there is nothing wrong with that. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“…He has explained to you in detail what is forbidden to you, except under compulsion of necessity …”

[al-An’aam 6:119]

Fataawa Noor ‘ala al-Darb by Shaykh Ibn Baaz, p. 302

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/39806/drawing%20images"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/39806/drawing%20images[/url]

Edited by SaracenSoldier

:sl:

There is no Ijma' on the issue here is a different stance :

[iframe]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Islamonline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503546054[i'm not allowed to use this tag yet] .