Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Orthodox

Women Working Vs Staying At Home

assalamu alaykum

Just a few things to think about:

Why is it when a woman serves her boss at work she is honored, but when she serves her husband (her closest companion in life) it is considered slavery?

Why is it when a woman teaches other kids at school, she is great and is needed to produce an educated society, but when she stays at home to teach her kids and raise them, she is not so great, and should do something more productive in life than just lay eggs and raise kids?!!!

Why is it when a woman works as a chef and serves food for other people, she is praised, or is not looked down upon, but when she stays at home and cooks for her family, she is oppressed or backwards?

Why is it when a woman works at a dry cleaner cleaning other peoples clothes, she is doing fine, she is working to earn money, nothing wrong with that, but when she washes her husband's and childrens clothes, she is suffering and needs to be saved ?!

Why is it when a woman works in an office outside of her home, she is a great woman, but if she works in an office inside of her home, she is not so great, and the only difference is that the second is at home ?

Why is it when a woman stays at home to serve her family she is a slave that needs to be freed from her prison, is oppressed, unproductive, backwards, and needs to get a life, while the woman who serves other people outside of her home, is a great and magnificent woman, she is a free woman, an equal to man, and has a bright future.

PropellerAds

They would want to add that why then is the man not there to care for the children. But then we can say that the woman is free to work too but this is her role and blah blah blah. I understand what you mean though sis. Oh and Salaam alykum :sl:

Wa Alaykum Salam

To add to public:

Women can work:

In principle, it is permesible to work so long as the intention behind it is lawful. Howevere, scholars stated some conditions to abide by in case a woman would like to work:

a. observe the proper right Hijab

b. segeration in the context that level of interaction to its minmum with men, if there were any, and talking to them is only when needed.

c. nature of work is lawful

d. safe for the women to work

It is though disliked if she doesn't have to, And in cases of necessity, she can worki. Though it depends on the case.

Education: There are no objectionable aspects exccept that both men and women must not mix freely. In cases of necessity and force haram things become permitted depending on one's circumstances.

Some would say "why?" You have self-control. If we did not have self-control, it would not be forbidden.

They would want to add that why then is the man not there to care for the children
Will the mother work and father breast feed the child? He is not there because he must earn money because it is obligatory upon him to support the household.

What do you mean this is her role? No one says a husband cannot clean or wash dishes. I find this funny, though some sahaba did do kitchen work. We have to clean anyway! So what? Working and having this job is 2 jobs, exhaustion!

All these comments are cheap excuses and intended to imprison women inside their homes. Women even participated and lead wars in Islamic history. All these are false notions and the result is that the Muslim soceity all over the world lag behind. Even schools meant for muslim women are burned down in the name of protecting "islamic" interests. Pathetic!

Lamppost, you recognize your position as a layperson, a human who has no knowledge of th eQur'an or the Sunna. Who is not a scholar and acts like one. Who is rejecting things without even checking if they are from Islam. Your evidence is

1. Based on your desires from what you pick and choose from the Sunna

2. SOmething not legislated to be Sunna

3. Everyone, be it a man of a woman, is obligated to defend him or herself when they are attacked. And look how pathetic your thoughts are, using this as proof. If you are sincere, why don't you ask me for proof? And what are you talking about? How is any of what I mentioned an imprisionment?

Tell me, what Tafsir to you read?

“And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignoranceâ€

[al-Ahzaab 33:33].

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Woman is ‘awrah, and if she goes out, the shaytaan raises his hopes (of misguiding her). She is never closer to Allaah than when she stays in her house.†Narrated by Ibn Hibbaan and Ibn Khuzaymah; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Shaheehah, no. 2688.

And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said concerning a woman’s prayer in the Masjid: “Their houses are better for them.†Narrated by Abu Dawood (567) and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Edited by Orthodox

Salam

Allah subhaanahu wa ta'aala did not create men and women so that they compete each other, but to complete each other.

Women going out for leisure and shopping

I've been wondering about what I've heard some Muslims say about women going out, that they have to have some legitimate purpose to go out.Would going out for things that serve little purpose(like halal entertainment of some sort) as long as the woman wore the proper hijab?I and another muslim girl differ on this.

Praise be to Allaah.

Islam came to protect women and their honour, and prescribed rulings that take care of that. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stay in your houses†[al-Ahzaab 33:33]

Based on this, the general principle is that women should stay at home and not go out except for essential reasons or cases of need. Islam states that a woman’s prayer at home is better for her than her prayer in the Masjid – even al-Masjid al-Haraam.

This does not mean that women have to remain prisoners in the house. Islam permits them to go to the Masjid, and has made Hajj and ‘Umrah, Eid prayers, etc. obligatory for them. Among the kinds of going out that are prescribed are her going to visit her family and mahrams, and going out to ask religious questions from people of knowledge. Women are also permitted to go out for their own needs, but all of this has to be within the limits and conditions set out in sharee’ah, such as being accompanied by a mahram when she travels, or being assured that her route is safe when she moves about in her own city or locality. She should also go out wearing complete hijaab, and she should not be wearing make-up, adornments or perfume.

A number of texts have been narrated concerning this, including the following:

Ibn ‘Umar reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If the wife of any one of you asks for permission to go to the Masjid, do not stop her.†(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 827; Muslim, 442)

Zaynab, the wife of ‘Abd-Allaah, said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to us: “If any one of you (women) comes to the Masjid, let her not wear perfume.†(Narrated by Muslim, 443)

Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah said: my maternal aunt got divorced and wanted to go and pick some fruit from her trees. A man told her off for going out, so she went to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he said, “Never mind, go and pick the fruit from your trees. Maybe you will be able to give it in charity or do something good with it.†(Narrated by Muslim, 1483)

The entertainment referred to in the question may involve mixing or looking at strangers (non-mahram men), or travelling without a mahram, or many things that are of no benefit. So you have to be cautious and make sure that the entertainment really is permissible and halaal, and free of any haraam things that would earn the punishment of Allaah. If a woman goes out to a place where there is nothing haraam going on and she does not go out too frequently, there is nothing wrong with this. We ask Allaah to protect us, keep us chaste and make our commitment to religion good and strong. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad,

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Forgive if I sound harsh. But arguing about things Allah has forbidden, made disliked.. is wrong. I hate and everyne must hate what Allah forbidden. It helps us not commit it. Do not be doing this, making forbidden into permitted, etc..

P.S. Women are allowed to travel 50 something miles, or just 50, 51, alone, without a mahram. Or 81 KM. This is far in my view.

Edited by Orthodox

assalaam aleykum!

Among the qualities we look at when choosing women is her wealth. if she cant work where do you think will she get money from? i think in Islam women have right to education and can also work for her self. Lady Khadija (Ra) was an affluent women, she had business empire. but remember she should adhere to rules and priciples.

assalaam aleykum!

Among the qualities we look at when choosing women is her wealth. if she cant work where do you think will she get money from? i think in Islam women have right to education and can also work for her self. Lady Khadija (Ra) was an affluent women, she had business empire. but remember she should adhere to rules and priciples.

My respected brother, :sl:

I have made many mistakes when speaking about religion without knowledge. I will warn you even though I am going off topic, never to speak about Allah and His Messenger :sl: without knowledge and what you yourself conclude from the Qur'an and the Sunna and not varify it. You can't do that because there are always other proofs for other opinions, you might just not know them. That being said, there are major and minor differences in opinions amongst the scholars. The major differences are odd views rejected by the people of knowledge. These views are made by modern scholars and whomever of the past opposed clear text, who are not following the rules and guidelines of the deen. If you will follow ALL scholars of the past who are considered Atharis, and that's almost all of the ones we know of today and all those who are respected, then they differed in very minor things. Therefore, I do not know the views of all or majority of scholars on this issue.

if she cant work where do you think will she get money from?

Her mahrams. They are obligated to provide her with essential[important] stuff not to be specific. Again, she is allowed to work under certain conditions just as the men.

Chapter 1-About one who interprets the Qur’an on his own opinion

(2959)

ÞóÇáó ÑóÓõæáõ Çááøóåö Õóáøóì Çááøóåõ Úóáóíúåö æóÓóáøóãó ãóäú ÞóÇáó Ãöí ÇáúÞõÑúÂäö ÈöÛóíúÑö Úöáúãò ÃóáúíóÊóÈóæøóÃú ãóÞúÚóÃóåõ ãöäú ÇáäøóÇÑö

Ibn Abbas (RA) narrated that Allah’s Messenger (SAW) said, “He who speaks on the Qur’an without possessing knowledge must assume his seat in the Fire.â€

[Ahmed 2069]

“And do not say, concerning that which your tongues falsely put forward, ‘This is lawful and this is forbidden,’ so as to invent lies against Allâh. Indeed, those who invent lies against Allâh will never prosper.â€Sûrah Nahl 16:116-117

"Ask the People of Knowledge if you do not know."

[soorah al-Anbiyaa 21:7]

Muslim's Piety and Self Restraint

From an-Nu'maan ibn Basheer (radiyallaahu 'anhu) who said that I heard Allaah's Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa'sallam) say: That which is lawful is clear, and that which is forbidden is clear, and between them are doubtful matters about which many of the people have no knowledge. So whoever avoids doubtful matters saves his Religion and his honour, and whoever falls into doubtful matters falls into what is forbidden. Just like a shepherd who grazes (his sheep) near to a private pasture (of another), he will soon stray on to it. Indeed for every king there is a private preserve. Indeed the preserve of Allaah are those things which He has forbidden. Indeed there is a piece of flesh in the body which if it is good, then the whole body is good, but if it is corrupt then the whole body is corrupt. Indeed it is the heart.

Reported by al-Bukharee (Eng. Trans. 1/44/no.49) and Muslim (Eng. Trans. 3/840/no.3882)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES

So the Muslim with regard to whatever situation arises in his life will have to face each of them with one of the following three stances: ONE: Completely refraining from it: That is with regards to that which is doubtful

TWO: Accepting without constraint: That is with regard to which is clearly permissible

THREE: To abstain from it: This is with regards to things which are not clearly permissible nor clearly forbidden.

If the last stance indicates something it is an indication of a Muslim's piety and fear of falling into that which is forbidden and of entering into something evil. The Muslim therefore abstains from it, and distances himself from it in order to please Allaah and to ensure that His commands are followed. It is not to be said, as some people say: 'That is not forbidden, so do it.' No, since it is not permissible to do everything other than which has been forbidden. So those things which are doubtful matters are closer to that which is forbidden, as occurs in the hadeeth itself: 'Whoever falls into the doubtful matters falls into what is forbidden….' So this fear and piety confirms that: [Next »]

Edited by Orthodox

In today's world women work

Just like men they have to.

Orthodox what world are you living in?

SubhanAllah,

Sister, I don't know why the brothers are giving you such a hard time. I guess after a lifetime of living in the west, it can only be expected that their points of view would be such. I realised that when I was trying to figure out whether to go back to work or stay with my daughter. I can't even believe I asked myself the question what is better?. Every once in while I still catch myself wanting to have a career, since it has been so deeply ingrained in us that our self worth lies in having a job rather than nurturing the next generation. Alhamdulillah Allah has clearly shown me where my worth lies. "your mother, your mother, your mother"

:sl:

Nowadays peoples circumstances differ from person to person , and not all people can put food on the table with ease.

Many Muslimah's in todays world are divorcees or widowed or have no Male relatives to support them what should they do ? Beg to make a living ? of course not they have the option of working.

I have seen Muslimah sisters who are very hard working in different fields from politics to Nurses and even ladies on the streets selling towels and stuff while they have babies on their backs , through Islamic History Muslimahs have been like that and had a role in society , i dont know where these people come up with the Bedouin version of Islam who think women should be hidden away and only have place in the Kitchen.

Nowadays peoples circumstances differ from person to person , and not all people can put food on the table with ease.

Many Muslimah's in todays world are divorcees or widowed or have no Male relatives to support them what should they do ? Beg to make a living ? of course not they have the option of working.

I have seen Muslimah sisters who are very hard working in different fields from politics to Nurses and even ladies on the streets selling towels and stuff while they have babies on their backs , through Islamic History Muslimahs have been like that and had a role in society , i dont know where these people come up with the Bedouin version of Islam who think women should be hidden away and only have place in the Kitchen.

In the west most women who are married don't work because their husbands cannot put food on the table, that is an exaggeration. If that was the case then the amount of money it costs to pay for childcare is certainly enough to put food on the table. It is better to be honest with oneself and say that you want to afford more things which is understandable, after all we are all a product of the society we live in.

We did not say a woman should not work, just that we should not lie to ourselves and think it is better than looking after her family, because it is not, no matter what society says. And you have proven my point when you talk of the women on the street with babies on their backs, she is looking after her kids and not someone else.

Finally be honest brother, who on this forum has said women should only have a place in the kitchen, or is that what you translate "looking after the home and family". Trust me, there is alot more to it than that, cooking is such a small part.

Answer one question, who is best to look after your children, mould their thinking and behaviour? Noone can do it as well as a mother can, ask any mother.

I have been screaming like a parrot: "she is allowed to work."

Sister ummasiyah, thank you very much for sharing your story. I wish you make more posts on this forum.

Every once in while I still catch myself wanting to have a career, since it has been so deeply ingrained in us that our self worth lies in having a job rather than nurturing the next generation
I also get that feeling for school just once in a while. Although it is so much easier to practice the deen and be closer to Allah this way. We should all focus on what Allah wants from us.

In today's world women work

Just like men they have to.Orthodox what world are you living in?

Wth men who want to empoy their wives, yes.

Assalamu Alaykum

Edited by Orthodox

Assalamu Alaykum

There is a general rule:

There are voluntary acts and there are obligations. In Sharee'ah we have haram, makrooh, mubah, mustahhab, and wajib/fardh.

Haram = forbidden: If you do it you have a sin, and if you don't do it you have a good deed.

Makrooh = disliked: If you do it it is not a sin, but it is not accepted for reward, but if you refrain from it then you receive a reward.

Mubah = neutral: There is no reward or punishment.

Mustahhab = You do it you receive reward, and if you don't do it you are not sinning.

Wajib/Fardh = You sin if you don't do it, but you receive reward if you do it.

These are the general definitions the above.

It is not allowed to neglect an obligation or do something haraam when performing a mustahhab act/voluntary act. It is Sunnah to touch the black stone of the Kaaba, but it is haraam to hurt others while doing it. The person does not receive the reward for the Mustahhab Act when he neglects the obligation to keep harm away from other or do the forbidden act of hurting others.

I'tikaaf is very good deed and you can get high reward, but it is just a Recommended act. If you have an obligation towards a person then you must fulfill those obligations. Otherwise, the recommended act does not count.

The same applies to the husband and wife relationship. The wives have their rights and obligations, while husbands have theirs. A wife cannot abandon her obligation by performing a recommended or just permissable act. The husband cannot abandon his obligations by performing a recommeded or permissable acts. Obligations have priority.

Women need to learn about their rights and obligations and men have to learn about theirs. Without knowledge about these thing, how can there be justice.

This does not only refer to husband and wife relationship, but men and women in society in general.

There are rules and there are exceptions. The exceptions should not become the rule nor the rule the exception.