Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Amir Shahzad

I Am Not Sure What Geebat Is Actually?

I am Muslim by religion and not sure what geebat (backbiting) is actually. Suppose If my sister share one of things with me which are showing some thing bad of the other. How will I know that the thing I am going to say about my brother/sister in his/her absence will be mind by his/her? Should I ask each time? What If my friend share his secret with me although it showing some thing bad of other in his/her absence?

PropellerAds

Assalam Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Al-jawab billahi at-taufeeq (the answer with Allah's guidance)

Prophet Muhammad said :"Do you know what backbiting is?" They said, "God and His Messenger know best." He then said, "It is to say something about your brother that he would dislike." Someone asked him, "But what if what I say is true?" The Messenger of God said, "If what you say about him is true, you are backbiting him, but if it is not true then you have slandered him." (Muslim)

From this Hadeeth it is very clearly stated what Back-biting is, now coming to your question if you should stop your sister when she says bad about anyone, If your sister or brother are oppressed by someone and their rights are violated and they just wish to share their grief with you in such a case you are supposed to lend a hearing aid and moral support without passing the information ahead, further more if you have the authority or the power to help him/her in some way by explaining or resolving a dispute then you should do the needful. Scholars agree that if an oppressed person comes to you for support they should not be shunned and that is not counted in back biting, but we need to console them.

It is allowed for us to inform the authorities when someone does injustice to us or others. It is allowed for us to inform someone who can help a perpetrator from committing further vice. It is also permissible for us to tell whoever seeks our advice on a person for business dealings or marriage. In this case it is not allowed for us to hide what we know about the person so that the enquirer will not be deceived. All these types of speaking about others are lawful.

And when you hear anyone backbite another Muslim brother or sister you should defend his/her honor and if you do not have the power to do that then you should leave that gathering immediately.

If you are aware that an oppressed brother/sister is complaining about the truth and you also know the oppressor in such a case it would not be wrong if you would say that the oppressor should not have done so and so. But you should not exceed in such talks, it is but natural to feel pity for the oppressed.

I hope this answers the question

And Only Allah Ta'ala Knows Best.