Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RAHIMI

Seeing The Prophet (saw): What Is The Right Attitude?

We normal people cannot determine who Saalheen are immediately but they can be known and found and they dont have to be wearing a cloak or a turban , it can be a guy selling something to you on the street or a normal practicing muslim but they can be found at all times and places.

over to you sister.

You're right, respected brother. We normal people cannot know who the saaliheen are. They are special people found in every age, that's certain. But only Allah knows who they are.

Jazak Allah khair for the information. :sl:

PropellerAds

Sister you took my words out of context i said we normal people cant know them immediately , but we can know them, whoever told you that we cant know who they are , are 100% wrong , if that were the case then how could Ibn taymiyyah have said that about those people ?

How would we have known the great Awliyaa and Saaliheen of the ummah ?

Junaid A Baghdadi

Ibrahiem Ibn Adham

Fudhayl Bin Ayaadh

etc.

They can be known sister PiP shukran .

They can be known sister PiP shukran .

How can they be known? That's the question you didn't answer, respected brother. How do you determine who the saaliheen and the awliya are?

Edited by Peace Is Power

No i answered it , They can be known, how is for you or those seeking them to find out , and from their traits and piousness you will know them simple . but they are not easily found i can assure you that.

You will find a lot of fakes who claim to be saints and i give the actual saaliheen bad names , and you will find those who slander Saaliheen as a whole and giving them no place in Ahlus sunnah period and both those parties are astray in my opinion.

The fact stays , they can be Known and i proved it from Shiekh Al Islam Ibn Taymiyyah so its irrefutable ,

No i answered it , They can be known, how is for you or those seeking them to find out , and from their traits and piousness you will know them simple . but they are not easily found i can assure you that.

Yup. I am assured of that. I know very well that they are not easily found. They are the hidden jewels of the Earth. :sl:

Assalaamu alaykum, respected brother.

Narrated Anas ÑÖí Çááå Úäå the Prophet Õáì Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã said, “Whoever has seen me in a dream, then no doubt, he has seen me, for Satan cannot imitate my shape. [sahih al-Bukhari]

Evidently, when the Prophet (saws) said these words, he was speaking to Anas. And Anas was looking at the Prophet (saws). So if we look at it that way, it seems that the Prophet (saws) is talking about and referring to people who have already seen him and know what he looks like. If any of the companions were to see a dream and they saw the Prophet (saws) in it, there would be no mistake about who he was. It would be in reality the Prophet (saws) himself since Satan cannot come in his form. That's the way I look at it. The face is a person's identity and if we cannot see the face, how can we know for sure who we saw? We can't be. If so, then I just prefer to leave such matters alone and not speculate about them. I would react in the same way as you stated above, neither inclining towards it nor against it, provided of course that the person narrating the dream is an honest Muslim or a true believer.

:sl:

Sister, be very careful with this interpretation of the Hadith, as it goes against what the scholars have said.

The scholarly position is that anyone can dream about the prophet. That much, they agree on. What they disagree on is this:

1) Some say that anyone who "feels" as though they have seen the prophet, then they did see him.

2) Others say that only those who have seen the prophet as per the descriptions we have of him, have seen him.

Sister, be very careful with this interpretation of the Hadith, as it goes against what the scholars have said.

Which part of my interpretation goes against what the scholars have said? I have only pointed out what is clear to me. Or does that interpretation not sound logical to you?

As for people of later generations who claim to have seen the prophet (saws) in their dream, I have stated that I prefer to leave speculation regarding their truthfulness alone. I neither accept it nor reject it. It's part of the unseen and I do not like to plunge into matters, the whole truth of which only Allah knows.

If that's not being careful, I don't know what is.

Scholars say a lot of things but they can never know for sure whether a person really did see the Prophet (saws) in their dream.

This much is clear though. The saliheen or true believers could never lie. And that's why I said that if it was a true believer who saw the Prophet (saws) in his dream, then his dream would certainly be true. But how many true believers have come forward claiming to have seen the Prophet (saws) in their dream?

Did any among these claim to have seen Prophet Muhammad (saws) in their dream?

Fudayl bin Ayaadh, Ibraheem bin Adham, Abu Sulaymaan ad-Daaraanee, Ma`roof al-Kharkee, as-Siri as-Saqatee, al-Junaid bin Muhammad( Al Baghdadi), Abdul Qaadir, Shaykh Hammaad, Shaikh Abu al-Bayaan....?

It would be very interesting indeed if anyone of these respected and pious Muslims ever claimed to have a dream in which they saw the Prophet (saws). I would be very keen to hear any story about any one of them relating such a remarkable thing.

If anyone has any information whatsoever about a pious Muslim who claimed to have seen the Prophet (saws) in his dream, I would like to know about it.

Edited by Peace Is Power

Which part of my interpretation goes against what the scholars have said? I have only pointed out what is clear to me. Or does that interpretation not sound logical to you?

"Evidently, when the Prophet (saws) said these words, he was speaking to Anas."

Perhaps you meant it as an expression of your own thinking, though that is still troublesome. I hope we both agree that it is not acceptable for any ordinary Muslim to interpret the Qur'an or Hadiths outside of the perimeters that the righteous scholars have set for us, as they have a far greater understanding of what the prophet was speaking about.

There might be some Muslims who think they saw the Prophet (saws) in their dream. And the scholars have various opinions regarding this, as you say....

1) Some say that anyone who "feels" as though they have seen the prophet, then they did see him.

2) Others say that only those who have seen the prophet as per the descriptions we have of him, have seen him.

The truth is no scholar can say for sure whether they really did see the Prophet (saws). And when there is no certainty, it is better to leave the matter alone and let it go.

Lastly, I'd like to say that if I had a dream and I saw a man who I "felt" was the Prophet (saws), I would keep that dream to myself and not attach too much importance to it.

There might be some Muslims who think they saw the Prophet (saws) in their dream. And the scholars have various opinions regarding this, as you say....

The truth is no scholar can say for sure whether they really did see the Prophet (saws). And when there is no certainty, it is better to leave the matter alone and let it go.

Lastly, I'd like to say that if I had a dream and I saw a man who I "felt" was the Prophet (saws), I would keep that dream to myself and not attach too much importance to it.

Sister, the scholars have not said "I don't know" to the great question of whether it is possible to see prophet Muhammad in a dream, which seems to be the root of the problem for you. They have disagreed on how one might see the prophet.

A scholar like Ibn Sireen believed that the interpretation of "Shaytan cannot take my form" meant that one must see the prophet in his actual image.

A scholar like Imam An-Nawawi believed that it means Shaytan cannot pretend to be the prophet, regardless of the form.

Neither said that they cannot be sure whether they did see the prophet, or that the matter is so uncertain that we should disregard it.

If you, as an individual, wish to treat any dream you have of the prophet as being just another dream concocted by your brain while you sleep, then that's entirely your right.

I hope we both agree that it is not acceptable for any ordinary Muslim to interpret the Qur'an or Hadiths outside of the perimeters that the righteous scholars have set for us, as they have a far greater understanding of what the prophet was speaking about.

Yes, I certainly do agree that I am an ordinary Muslim. And my views and opinions have absolutely no importance. I do think I talk too much and it's time for me to exercise restraint and be silent.

So I'll just make a graceful exit from here.

Indeed, Allah is the best to judge all affairs. He is the one who will settle all disputes. Alhamdulillahir Rabbil Al Ameen!

It has been a pleasure to make your acquaintance and be a part of this forum.

Assalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.

Edited by Peace Is Power

My dear sister, we are all ordinary Muslims trying to understand the religion of Allah.

Actually, you are wiser than me in this issue; you said it's better to leave this matter alone and I see now that there is no reason to fuss over such a small issue. But please continue to post on the forum, your contribution is invaluable.

No soul has authority over another. Guidance and straying is a matter between God and you.

aakwrAllahwbHu

Hey again, my dear sister.

Yes, that the Prophet (sAahwaah) was addressing his companions (rAah) is, I believe, a valid interpretation. JazakAllah again for your insight. :sl:

And Allah Alone knows the truth of all things.

Alhamdu lillahi Rabbil aaalmeen.

la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Al-‘Atheemu Al-Haleemu, la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbul ‘arshil-‘atheemi, la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbus-samaawaati wa Rabbul-ardhi wa Rabbul-‘arshil-kareemi

there is no god except Allah, the All-Mighty, the Forbearing; there is no god except Allah, the Lord of the Mighty Throne;

there is no god except Allah, Lord of the heavens, Lord of the earth and Lord of the noble Throne.

I too think that the interpretation is valid. It also makes sense. Why reject this interpretation just because one has never heard of a scholar interpreting it that way? Scholars can have differing opinions but in the end one has to choose which scholar is closest to the opinion of Allah and His Messenger.

"Evidently, when the Prophet (saws) said these words, he was speaking to Anas."

Perhaps you meant it as an expression of your own thinking, though that is still troublesome. I hope we both agree that it is not acceptable for any ordinary Muslim to interpret the Qur'an or Hadiths outside of the perimeters that the righteous scholars have set for us, as they have a far greater understanding of what the prophet was speaking about.

That makes me wonder. If independent thinking is "troublesome" should I consult a scholar before I post anything here in this board?

I don't like the fact that this topic is turning into support for Ikhtilaf, so I will continue to insist that we follow the scholarly consensus.

Why reject this interpretation just because one has never heard of a scholar interpreting it that way? Scholars can have differing opinions but in the end one has to choose which scholar is closest to the opinion of Allah and His Messenger.

Why should we reject the interpretation? Might be because it goes against the consensus?

Or how about the fact that this interpretation has been presented by ordinary Muslims who have never studied the Hadiths indepth? And I say this bluntly, not demeaningly, because I'm in the same position as anyone on this forum, which is why I strive to be a mouthpiece for the scholars of knowledge, not for my self-derived opinions.

The Qur'an and Hadiths are not poetry that are interpreted as one sees them. They take knowledge and understanding. There are scholars who have dedicated their lives, their sweat, and their blood to seeking and spreading the truth. It's not as simple as turning on one's computer, coming across a Hadith, and remarking, "I think it means this and that."

If these scholars AGREE upon the fact that it is possible to see the prophet in a dream, on the basis that the prophet LITERALLY said so, then there is no reason to assume "well, maybe it meant these group of people, or that group". If we start thinking that certain Hadiths only apply to certain people even though that distinction was never made, then we're heading down a slippery slope.

It is a duty upon every Muslim to follow the consensus, or if there is no consensus on a subject, to follow the interpretation that seems the most suitable. There is no excuse to reject the consensus when it is so, so apparent here. And more importantly, there is no reason to mislead people with conjecture that cannot be proven.

If anyone on this forum believes something that is not supported, please refrain from trying to get others to share in your beliefs.

Narrated by Ibn Umar that the prophet Muhammad said: "Verily my Ummah would not agree upon error and Allah's hand is over the group and whoever dissents from them departs to Hell." [At-Tirmidhi]

That makes me wonder. If independent thinking is "troublesome" should I consult a scholar before I post anything here in this board?

My words were clearly in reference to making interpretations that are based on opinion, and not blanket statements that address every single poster. If a person is posting information that is known and proven, and is supported by qualified people, then they do not need to consult anyone. If they are stating things out of conjecture, then maybe they really should learn from the scholars or read scholarly works.

Might I add that there is a danger in interpreting things as one thinks is appropriate; an individual is at risk of saying a lie against Allah and His messenger. Worse, they will be responsible for misleading others. Ergo, it's better to stick to what is established already, or become a scholar.

No soul has authority over another. Guidance and straying is a matter between God and you.

aakwrAllahwbHu

Hey there, White Warrior.

I too think that the interpretation is valid. It also makes sense. Why reject this interpretation just because one has never heard of a scholar interpreting it that way? Scholars can have differing opinions but in the end one has to choose which scholar is closest to the opinion of Allah and His Messenger.

Completely agree with what you say, my respected brother. But what really caught my eye in this thread was something posted by sister Redeem earlier on:

Ibn Qutaybah ad-Dinawari ÑÃãå Çááå says in his book about dream interpretations, “There is nothing in which people deal with from the different sciences that is more obscure, delicate, exalted, noble, difficult and problematic than dreams because they are a type of revelation and type of Prophethood.â€

I find problematic the assertion "There is nothing in which people deal with from the different sciences that is more obscure, delicate, exalted, noble, difficult and problematic than dreams..."

And if I find the assertion to be problematic, the justification I find downright dangerous. ad-Dinawari explains:

"...because they are a type of revelation and type of Prophethood.â€

A tradition states that good dreams are a portion of prophethood, and this is entirely different from saying that they are a type of prophethood.

What then is the source of this statement that dreams are a "type of Prophethood"? The Quran? Ahadith? Or something esle? It seems that we don't know. But I do believe this can be a dangerous statement.

Then, in this single sentence by ad-Dinawari I found a thing problematic and another dangerous, so I asked sister Redeem about what I found dangerous, but she apparently doesn't know its exact meaning. There are other Muslims who have posted this elsewhere, and perhaps there will be more in the future. It maybe that this is a translation issue, or it may not be so. Let's hope that someone will be able to give me the exact meaning. Otherwise, the way I look at this, Muslims will be copy pasting something when they neither understand it nor yet know its source.

The way I see it, when an individual or a group runs a forum like this they have to invest considerable resources into it. So I generally respect that and avoid confronting the staff, and if someone is not inclined to thinking then I prefer to leave that member (staff or non-staff) alone. However, at least in this case, there is nothing troublesome about what sister Peace Is Power said.

I am not endorsing sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link), but many Muslims do refer to it for answers, so I am quoting a relevant part from a relevant response of sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link):

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

To see our beloved master, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) in a dream is certainly very virtuous and a blessing from Allah Most High upon the person who was fortunate to see him.

When one dreams of the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace), then one has certainly seen him. It is stated in a Hadith:

Sayyiduna Abu Huraira (may Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �He who saw me in a dream has certainly seen me, for Shaytan can not take my form.� [sahih al-Bukhari & Sahih Muslim]

The Hadith commentators and scholars have given different interpretations as to the meaning of this Hadith:

1. That it is similar to seeing the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) in real life, but one will not be called a Companion (sahabi), and one will not be legally responsible to carry out the orders given in the dream, because moral responsibility is not based on dreams.

2. The Hadith is regarding those that were present at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), meaning whosoever saw him in a dream was given a glad tiding that he will also see him whilst awake. This meaning is also supported by another Hadith where the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give peace) said �Whosoever sees me in a dream will soon me whilst awake� (Sahih al-Bukhari & Sahih Muslim).

3. That whosoever saw the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give peace) in a dream, the dream is true and genuine. It is not merely an imagination. The Shaytan cannot come in ones dream and portray to be the Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam. (All three interpretations related by Mulla Ali al-Qari in his al-Mirqat, 9/24).

The scholars have differed as to whether the dream is true in the case where one does not see the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) in his recognized features and qualities, that have been transmitted in the traditions.

Some scholars are of the view that the dream will only be true and genuine if the person sees the Prophet of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) in his recognised features. This opinion has been attributed to Qadi Iyad.

The majority of the scholars, however, including Imam Nawawi, are of the view that if a person dreams the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) then his dream is true, regardless of whether he sees him on his recognized features or otherwise.

If a person was to see the blessed Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) in his unrecognized features, for example, he saw him without a beard, or with full grey hair, etc� then this dream will need to interpreted.

The differences in appearance may be due to the good or bad habits of the dreamer. According to the variation of people�s personalities, their dreams differ. Some dream him old, whilst others dream him young. Some see him pleased, whilst others see him disturbed. Therefore, the dream will need to be interpreted by a person who is qualified in this field, and who has taqwa and piety (Mulla Ali al-Qari, Mirqat al-Masabih, 9/25).

In the light of the above, if one has a dream of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) then he has surely seen him. One should not doubt this, as this has been clearly mentioned in the Hadith. However, there are two points here which need to be remembered and understood properly.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=1745&CATE=108"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=...45&CATE=108[/url]

Rather than comment on this response from sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link), I will make prominent a few things in there:

1. There is difference among the scholars over multiple issues.

2. From among the different interpretations and meanings given by Hadith commentators and scholars:

The Hadith is regarding those that were present at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), meaning whosoever saw him in a dream was given a glad tiding that he will also see him whilst awake. This meaning is also supported by another Hadith where the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give peace) said �Whosoever sees me in a dream will soon me whilst awake� (Sahih al-Bukhari & Sahih Muslim).

3. The view of not all scholars, but of the majority:

The majority of the scholars, however, including Imam Nawawi, are of the view that if a person dreams the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) then his dream is true, regardless of whether he sees him on his recognized features or otherwise.

4. The view of the majority is that one may see him (sAahwaah) in his recognized or unrecognized features.

This is not the only source which can support the interpretation held by sister Peace Is Power and you as valid, but this should hopefully suffice, inshallah. :sl:

Finally, the way I see it, sister Peace Is Power is not questioning whether we can see the Prophet (sAahwaah) in a dream, rather how we can be certain that the one that we saw is indeed the Prophet (sAahwaah).

And Allah Alone knows the truth of all things.

JazakAllah to all of you.

Alhamdu lillahi Rabbil aalameen

la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Al-‘Atheemu Al-Haleemu, la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbul ‘arshil-‘atheemi, la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbus-samaawaati wa Rabbul-ardhi wa Rabbul-‘arshil-kareemi

there is no god except Allah, the All-Mighty, the Forbearing; there is no god except Allah, the Lord of the Mighty Throne;

there is no god except Allah, Lord of the heavens, Lord of the earth and Lord of the noble Throne.

Edited by AsadullahHamza

Again i will say that Seeing Sayidina Muhammad Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÂáå æÓáã in a dream is an established fact in Islam , we can verify if we have seen him by seeing the Sifat of the prophet PBUH.

Why people are casting so much doubt on the fact is astonishing and just shows how Muslims doubt each other.

aakwrAllahwbHu

Hey there, al faqeer.

Again i will say that Seeing Sayidina Muhammad Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÂáå æÓáã in a dream is an established fact in Islam , we can verify if we have seen him by seeing the Sifat of the prophet PBUH.

Why people are casting so much doubt on the fact is astonishing and just shows how Muslims doubt each other.

Alright. Seeing the Prophet (sAahwaah) and knowing that the one who was seen is the Prophet (sAahwaah) are two different things.

What do you mean by "casting so much doubt" and "doubt each other"?

If you saw sayidina Muhammad PBUH in a dream it means you know 100% you did , if you have doubt it means you simply didnt.

But all these arguments saying scholars said this and that , is actually going against the actual hadeeth the way i see it.

If someone genuinely believes he/she Saw the prophet PBUH in a dream we should believe him and her and thats that.

aakwrAllahwbHu

If you saw sayidina Muhammad PBUH in a dream it means you know 100% you did , if you have doubt it means you simply didnt.

Okay, if one has any doubt about it, then one has not seen the Prophet (sAahwaah). And if one does not have any doubt, he has indeed seen the Prophet (sAahwaah). Have I understood you correctly?

Can you provide the reference for your words? JazakAllah.

But all these arguments saying scholars said this and that , is actually going against the actual hadeeth the way i see it.

Fine if that is the way you see it.

If someone genuinely believes he/she Saw the prophet PBUH in a dream we should believe him and her and thats that.

I think I see your point, but if someone genuinely believes that he or she saw the Prophet (sAahwaah), and has not seen anything out of the ordinary, I would testify neither in favor of nor against his or her having (really) seen the Prophet (sAahwaah).

Reference for what ? for a Hadeeth that is as clear as daylight ?

Why is the hadeeth itself not sufficient ? and who has said that we need reference for a hadeeth ? or do you mean and explanation ?

aakwrAllahwbHu

Hi again, al faqeer.

Reference for what ? for a Hadeeth that is as clear as daylight ?

Why is the hadeeth itself not sufficient ? and who has said that we need reference for a hadeeth ? or do you mean and explanation ?

Reference for your words:

Which hadith told you to make the presence or absence of doubt the criterion? JazakAllah.

Alhamdu lillahi Rabbil aalameen

I dont need reference :sl: since I am just repeating what the Hadeeth said . Prove me wrong if you can .

aakwrAllahwbHu

I dont need reference :sl: since I am just repeating what the Hadeeth said . Prove me wrong if you can .

Which hadith are you repeating? :sl: