Islamic Forum
radians

Question's From An Ex Atheist

Assalam ALaykum

Okay, here's the thing...I was an atheist before, then I reverted to Islam...and I genuinely am interested in learning it...I have been reading a lot these days...I found some confusions and I tried to look for answers but for the past 2 months, I have not got any explanations...I'd appreciate much if you'll answer my questions

they are as follows:

1) read the first four verses of surah hud they do not seem like a direct speech from Allah as they do not contain the word "qala or qul etc" which roughly means say or proclaim to them o prophet...

2) Surah al fatiha is a prayer...one of its verses are : You (Alone) we worship, and you (Alone) we ask for help (for each and everything). and :Guide us to the straight path -

isn't it more appropriate to think of it as the words of the prophet who's asking for Allah's help and blessings? again no word for say or proclaim is mentioned there.

3) I don't understand the concept of relativity of time in the Quran...one place it says that one day is like a 1000 years with your lord, if Allah made the whole universe and the laws of relitivity in it, then how could Allah himself is subject to these laws ie: experiencing time slowly? and I'm not sure that what theory of special relativity has to say on this issue....and in one ayah of surah hajj i guess it is mentioned that(roughly) Allah regulates the affair and then it shall ascend unto him in a day of 1000 years which you count(I guess, may Allah forgive my mistakes)...what is the "affair"...I didn't understand the verse at all...like is it something like light which comes from the heavens and after being shown on the planet earth it reflects back(ascend) to Allah taa'la?...then, when Allah says that he has created the universe in 6 days, and the word used there is "youm" right?, but this same word is also used in the arab word for ..."day"...as in, every day...saturday: "youm-sabth"...this thing can also be used in every other language, like in english, a day can also mean a time period! isn't it?...PLUS, the Qur'an DOES give the length of the "youm"...Surah Hajj 22:47:

"Yet they ask thee to hasten on the Punishment! But God will not fail in His Promise. """"Verily a Day in the sight of thy Lord is like a thousand years of your reckoning""""...so 1000 * 6...6000 years, it's still a scientific mistake...and the bible priest also calculated this exact "6000 years old earth/universe" from the bible :sl:

4) well these might not be "contradictions" but more like confusions...the last one for now could be: how can I know that the word dahaha has the meaning egg-shaped...like how can a word have 2 almost contradicting meanings(egg-shaped and spread out) in it??...how can I know that "thumma" means "then" and "simultaneously"(in case of six days creation and 8 days creation)...if these are the popular meanings then why didn't the early translators used them as such?...how do I know what meaning I have to choose for a word and how does my choice of words has anything to do with the verse, surely the Christians might also produce the same "word-meaning in hebrew" argument in order to clear a contradiction? how do i know if the word fits in or like it is the right word for it?

5) why is earth so important?...I mean that we all know that how much big this universe really is, what is the value of this planet "earth" in comparison to this universe, like why this planet is given so much importance? why life only here?...what about aliens? what if someday we find some?...does the glorious Quran mention some "other" type of life apart from humans, animals insects etc, angles and the jinns?...and if this is the case, then what is the source of their guidance?...what book do they have?...do they have a book or not?...this raises another question:

6)we've been told that Qur'an is a piece from the "al-kitab"...what does this mean?...like how can you take a piece from a book but still it's so complete in itself?....and we know that Quran was revealed on several historical events, like answering the questions, sending commands for the prophet and the muslims on what to do on certain occasions etc etc...it means it is a historical book right?...like it's sent along with the chain of events of that particular time...it was sent in a particular sequence through space-time...now if it's just a piece of the Al-Kitab, what history does the al-kitab book contain?like i mean...i guess I don't know how to phrase my question, i even can't do it in my mother tongue lol and my father doesn't understand...but I hope you're getting me...if Quran is a book revealed on certain occasions containing certain answers, commands etc etc, and if it's a piece of the Al-Kitab, and we assume that A book is consistent in it's style if the author in single, then naturally the question arises as to what purpose does the Al-Kitab serve, and on what historical event it is based upon(because it should be the same in content as the Quran and other heavenly books, like guiding, answering questions and doubts etc etc)? please let me know if you don't understand the question I'll try to rephrase it.

7)Why do Allah subhana wa ta'ala always say the heavens and the earth, and the heavens...like why this particular frame of reference?...if we study science we come to know that space is everywhere, everything is contained in it...even the earth is in the space...there's no left right, up down in space, it's just everywhere, in every direction....so what really does the word "sama" mean? does it mean "sky", if that is the case then a kid from elementary these days know that "sky" is nothing, it's just a word to describe what's above our heads...plus, space and the earth are not separate and space is not "above" the earth...earth itself is in space, and the space is not "above" the earth...but I guess Quran always has this style as if the "sky" is above the earth...why is that?...some say it means the ozone layer or just the layers of our atmosphere, because QUran also says that the "samawat" are made a canopy for you...and because it says that the rain comes from the "samawat" correct me if I'm wrong...[using large font size is not allowed]

looking forward :sl:

Assalam Alaykum

PropellerAds

Even I don't think that every half verse of a religiuos book must be in line with the understanding of modern physics or it's false.

The Koran was written for an audience of it's time. Being poetic was the order of the day if you wanted to sound clever.

However, if people wish to rely on the litteral meaning or the Koran on things like the origin of man then the same logic must be applied to all of the book.

It is important to accept the ways of nature. Denying evolution does lots of harm. The understanding of evolution has given us lots of important drugs and informs health policy. Understanding evolution saves lives. Understanding evolution involves understanding that we are decended from apes just as our close relations the chimpansees are.

It is important to accept the ways of nature. Denying evolution does lots of harm.

Nature doesn't have any intelligence. To say ways of nature implies that it (nature) has intelligence.

What is important then is to accept the fact that there is intelligence involved. Without intelligence how can there be law and order that you see in this universe?

Evolution is based upon the idea that things happen by chance, with no intelligence involved. Since it is clear that nothing can come about without the existence of intelligence, the idea of evolution has no ground to stand on. A person who understands this would deny evolution and reject it. And he would accept the truth about an Intelligent Being ruling this universe.

Edited by Peace Is Power

1) read the first four verses of surah hud they do not seem like a direct speech from Allah as they do not contain the word "qala or qul etc" which roughly means say or proclaim to them o prophet...

:sl:

Verses 25 and 26 say this:

25. We sent Noah to his people: "I have come to you with a Clear Warning:

26. "That ye serve none but Allah. Verily I do fear for you the penalty of a grievous day."

There is no "Noah said" in these verses either.

In the English language, they also have a way of leaving out "he said" or "she said" from sentences. Such as:

"How are you, my child?"

"I am fine, father."

There are clues that suggest to the reader who the speaker is (intended to be), such as the style of speaking, or the words spoken. In the above example, if there was a man and a boy in a room together and they said these words, it would not be hard to guess who said what. In the same way, the second verse of Surah Hud says: "Verily I am (sent) unto you from Him..."

1) We know has been sent; the prophet Muhammad.

2) We know who "Him" is; Allah.

3) We know that the Qur'an is the word of Allah. Therefore, the words are either a) an instruction for prophet Muhammad on how to address his people, b) a recounting of how prophet Muhammad had addressed his people.

2) Surah al fatiha is a prayer...one of its verses are : You (Alone) we worship, and you (Alone) we ask for help (for each and everything). and :Guide us to the straight path -

isn't it more appropriate to think of it as the words of the prophet who's asking for Allah's help and blessings? again no word for say or proclaim is mentioned there.

"We" suggests that it is more than the prophet Muhammad asking Allah for His help and blessings. It is a collective, not a singular pronoun.

The prophet demonstrated to the Muslims how to perform Salaat, and told us to use this Surah in our prayers. It is an example of Allah conveying to us the right words to say to Him.

3)...

Firstly, "yaum" signifies different lengths of time. The "Day" of Judgment is said to be 50,000 years.

Secondly, Allah is not subject to time. The verse only says that 1000 years for us is just a day with Him; it does not mean that He is within time. But just because Allah is not subject to time does not mean that He lacks the ability to perceive it.

Thirdly, there are things that ascend to Allah/the heavens, such as Angels, our deeds, and even our souls when we sleep/die. It could be any of these.

4) well these might not be "contradictions" but more like confusions...the last one for now could be: how can I know that the word dahaha has the meaning egg-shaped...like how can a word have 2 almost contradicting meanings(egg-shaped and spread out) in it??...how can I know that "thumma" means "then" and "simultaneously"(in case of six days creation and 8 days creation)...

1) Is the Earth spread out? Yes. It's very vast and seems to go on forever, from the vantage of a human. When Allah speaks of how the Earth is spread out, he is speaking of the vastness of the space that He has given man, so that man can choose to go wherever he pleases.

2) Is the Earth egg-shaped? Also yes, though I have no idea if this is an actual definition of the word.

3) Thumma means "then" and "also". I've never heard of it meaning "simulataneously".

5) why is earth so important?...I mean that we all know that how much big this universe really is, what is the value of this planet "earth" in comparison to this universe, like why this planet is given so much importance? why life only here?...what about aliens? what if someday we find some?...does the glorious Quran mention some "other" type of life apart from humans, animals insects etc, angles and the jinns?...and if this is the case, then what is the source of their guidance?...what book do they have?...do they have a book or not?...this raises another question:

Perhaps Allah created the universe to show us how insignificant and inferior we and our planet are, so that we might feel awed and humbled by His power.

The Qur'an mentions man, Jinn, Angels, animals and plants. If Allah has created anything beyond that, then such knowledge is with Him alone.

As for why Allah picked this particular Earth, if He had picked anything else we'd still be asking ourselves "why?". Allah is wise and He has given us knowledge that is important. We cannot know why He does everything.

6)we've been told that Qur'an is a piece from the "al-kitab"...what does this mean?...like how can you take a piece from a book but still it's so complete in itself?....

Can you reference this, brother. I'm not sure what you mean.

7)Why do Allah subhana wa ta'ala always say the heavens and the earth, and the heavens...like why this particular frame of reference?...if we study science we come to know that space is everywhere, everything is contained in it...even the earth is in the space...there's no left right, up down in space, it's just everywhere, in every direction....so what really does the word "sama" mean?

What if the frame of reference is the throne of Allah itself? Just a thought.

There's no direction in space because we lack a frame of reference. But just because we cannot perceive one does not mean that Allah does not have one.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Nature doesn't have any intelligence. To say ways of nature implies that it (nature) has intelligence.

What is important then is to accept the fact that there is intelligence involved. Without intelligence how can there be law and order that you see in this universe?

Evolution is based upon the idea that things happen by chance, with no intelligence involved. Since it is clear that nothing can come about without the existence of intelligence, the idea of evolution has no ground to stand on. A person who understands this would deny evolution and reject it. And he would accept the truth about an Intelligent Being ruling this universe.

1 Why does the phrase "ways of nature" imply intelegence? If I refer to understanding "the ways of combustion" when studieing the internal combustion engine I would be talking about how gasoline burns at various pressures and types of mixing in a car cylinder. The gasoline/air mixture does it the same every time and shows no choice about it.

2 There is predicability in the universe. If I drop a pen it falls to the ground. It has never not done this. If an intelegence was making choices then I would expect that intelegence to sometimes make different choices. Why is a deterministic universe evidence of continued involvement of an all powerful creator?

3 Things that come about without the involvement of intelegence. Or better things which come about through randomness within a set of govening rules:-The weather, the pattern of roads in an unplanned road network, the pattern of stars in the night sky, the beauty of the crab nebulae, trafic behaviour at rush hour, the behaviour of stockmarkets........chaos can result in pattern.

1 Why does the phrase "ways of nature" imply intelegence? If I refer to understanding "the ways of combustion" when studieing the internal combustion engine I would be talking about how gasoline burns at various pressures and types of mixing in a car cylinder. The gasoline/air mixture does it the same every time and shows no choice about it.

There is intelligence involved even in the way of combustion. And the way of combustion does not deviate from the laws that has been set for it.

Evidently, it could not operate if there were no laws set for it. And to set laws for it, intelligence is required. Otherwise, it would behave in any way. It does it just the way you describe it: The gasoline/air mixture does it the same every time and shows no choice about it.

2 There is predicability in the universe. If I drop a pen it falls to the ground. It has never not done this. If an intelegence was making choices then I would expect that intelegence to sometimes make different choices. Why is a deterministic universe evidence of continued involvement of an all powerful creator?

There is predictability in the universe because all things operate according to laws given to them. All pens will fall to the ground if they are dropped. That's the law of gravity. To make and set laws requires intelligence. Why would you expect intelligence to make different choices, I do not understand.

3 Things that come about without the involvement of intelegence. Or better things which come about through randomness within a set of govening rules:-The weather, the pattern of roads in an unplanned road network, the pattern of stars in the night sky, the beauty of the crab nebulae, trafic behaviour at rush hour, the behaviour of stockmarkets........chaos can result in pattern.

The weather is governed by an intelligence, no doubt about it. It isn't haphazard. There is a regular pattern to be observed every summer, autumn, winter and spring.

The pattern of roads in an unplanned road network? I don't understand what you mean by that.

The pattern of stars in the night sky is obviously the same every night. Cannot be unless there is some intelligence involved to maintain that pattern.

As for traffic behavior at rush hour, behavior of stock markets and chaos could result in a pattern yes. But only when the intelligence involved is inferior.

The supreme order that is prevalent in the universe and in the natural world that we live in obviously can be only the result of a superior Intelligence. And if it is not already evident to you, mere intelligence isn't enough. Power and ability is also necessary.

Assalam Alaykum :sl:

thankyou very very much for replying me back, ya'all

I'm a bit busy today but I'll reply to this shortly inshAllah:)

Assalam Alaykum

Sallam radians,

regarding space having no direction, you may want to check up on Friedman's theory of the universe and why (according to him) it appears to be infinite when (according to him) it may just be like a baloon. I think Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time also touches upon this.

Another point, with many of your questions you are viewing this from a very English-centric and ethnocentric point of view. Being originally from Bangladesh and having had to live in 4 different cultures over my lifetime I can tell you that language is used in many different ways and nuances. If you're looking at the Quran from a sceptical point of view, you could definitely read Maurice Boucaille's "The Quran, The Bible & Science". It will help clarify the Quran scientifically. He after all started his research to find fault with the Quran and as a renowned scientist and surgeon of his time made every effort to search for legitimate faults.

He failed and was rather impressed if I recall. His book is worth a good read.

This link may also help satisfy your intellect as to the miracle of the Quran:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgrandestrategy(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2010/11/amazing-quran.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgrandestrategy(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2010/11/amazing-quran.html[/url]

Hope that helps. May Allah bless you and guide you to the straight path:

Surah Al-Fatihah:

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

All Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds;

The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful;

Master of the Day of Judgment.

You do we worship, and You that we ask for help

Show us the straight way,

The way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray.

Peace is Power,

Leaving aside the question of an intelegence initiating the universe or not the continued involvement of intelegence would only show if there were choices being made by outside super-natural forces.

The predictiblity of combustion is a result of the continued none changing laws of physics. The fact that these laws or ways of nature do not change leaves little room (none) for any divine being to opperate. The stars behave like stars because they are stars not by any act of will.