Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mrs. J

Sayings Of Jesus You Might Like

Hi everyone,

Here are some of the sayings of Jesus from the New Testament Gospels. It would be really cool if those well-versed in the Quran and Hadith could post similar verses and sayings in response! :sl:

“You have heard the law says, ‘Love your neighbour’ and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as the children of your Father in heaven. For he gives sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax payers do that much. If you are kind only to your friends [or brothers], how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.†Matthew 5:43-48

“Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do – blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.â€

Matthew 6:1-4

“If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.â€

Matthew 6:14-15

“And when you fast, don’t make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and dishevelled so people will admire them for their fasting. I tell you the truth, that is they only reward they will ever get. But when you fast, comb your hair and wash your face. Then no one will notice that you are fasting except your Father, who knows what you do in private. And your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.â€

Matthew 6:16-18

“Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.â€

Matthew 6:19-21

“No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will e devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life – whether you will have enough food and drink or clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith? So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek first the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

Matthew 6:24-34

“You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to destruction is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only few ever find it.†Matthew 6:13-14

“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.†Matthew 6:7-8

“You parents – if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father five good gifts to those who ask him?†Matthew 6:9-11

“Do to others as you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the Law and the prophets.†Matthew 6: 12

“Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father will enter.†Mt 6:21

“A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit, but he was always disappointed. Finally he said to his gardener, ‘I’ve waited three years, and there hasn’t ben a single fig! Cut it down. It’s just taking up space in the garden.’ The gardener answered, ‘Sir, give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I’ll give it special attention and plenty of fertiliser. If we get figs next year, fine. If not, then you can cut it down.’â€

Luke 13: 6-9

Tax collectors and other notorious sinners often came to listen to Jesus teach. This made the Pharisees [members of a Jewish sect] and teachers of the law complain that he was associating with sinful people – even eating with them! So Jesus told them this story: “If a man has a hundred sheep and one if them gets lost, what will he do? Won’t he leave the ninety-nine others in the wilderness and go to search for the one that is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he will joyfully carry it home on his shoulders. When he arrives, he will call together his friends and neighbours, saying, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’ In the same way, there is more joy in heaven over one lost sinner who repents and returns to God than ninety-nine who are righteous and haven’t strayed away!†Luke 15: 1-7

“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Won’t she light a lamp and sweep the entire house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she will call her friends and neighbours and say, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost coin.’ In the same way, there is joy in the presence of God’s angels when even one sinner repents.†Luke 15:8-10

“There will always be temptations o sin, but what sorrow awaits the person who does the tempting! It would be better to be thrown into the sea with a millstone hung around your neck than to cause one of these little ones to fall into sin. So watch yourselves!†Luke 17:1-3

“If your brother sins, rebuke him; then if there is repentance, forgive. Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks for forgiveness, you must forgive.†Luke 17:3-4

“Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to word of God. But you don’t listen to God because you don’t belong to God.†John 8:47

“A Jewish man was travelling on a trip from Jerusalem to Jericho and he was attacked by bandits. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him up, and left him half dead beside the road. By chance a priest came along. But when he saw the man lying there, he crossed to the other side of the road and passed him by. A temple assistant [a Levite] walked over and looked at him lying there but he also passed by on the other side. Then a despised Samaritan came along, and when he saw the man, he felt compassion for him. Going over to him, the Samaritan soothed his wounds with olive oil and wine and bandaged them. Then he put the man on his own donkey and took him to an inn, where he took care of him. The next day he handed the innkeeper two silver coins, telling him, ‘Take care of this man. If his bill runs higher than this, I’ll pay you the next time I’m here.’ Now which of these would you say was a neighbour to them man who was attacked by bandits?†Jesus asked. The man replied, “The one who showed him mercy.†Then Jesus said, “Yes, now go and do the same.†Luke 10:30-37 [or Luke 10:25-37]

“Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: 'I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else. For I don’t cheat, I don’t sin and I give you a tenth of my income.’ But the tax collector stood at distance and prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled and those who humble themselves will be exalted.†Luke 18:10-14

*All quotes from the New Living Translation

What do you all think?

PropellerAds

No soul has authority over another. Guidance and straying is a matter between God and you.

aakwrAllahwbHu

Awesome.

JazakAllah for this great selection, my dear sister. May Allah AWJ show me the way. Alhamdu lillahi Rabbil aalameen.

Can I ask you a question over here, if you don't mind?

la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Al-‘Atheemu Al-Haleemu, la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbul ‘arshil-‘atheemi, la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbus-samaawaati wa Rabbul-ardhi wa Rabbul-‘arshil-kareemi

there is no god except Allah, the All-Mighty, the Forbearing; there is no god except Allah, the Lord of the Mighty Throne;

there is no god except Allah, Lord of the heavens, Lord of the earth and Lord of the noble Throne.

No soul has authority over another. Guidance and straying is a matter between God and you.

aakwrAllahwbHu

Never mind, my respected sister, I did some rethinking.

JazakAllah, again, for your great selection. :-)

Alhamdu lillahi Rabbil aalameen

la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Al-‘Atheemu Al-Haleemu, la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbul ‘arshil-‘atheemi, la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbus-samaawaati wa Rabbul-ardhi wa Rabbul-‘arshil-kareemi

there is no god except Allah, the All-Mighty, the Forbearing; there is no god except Allah, the Lord of the Mighty Throne;

there is no god except Allah, Lord of the heavens, Lord of the earth and Lord of the noble Throne.

Awesome.

JazakAllah for this great selection, my dear sister. May Allah AWJ show me the way. Alhamdu lillahi Rabbil aalameen.

I’m glad you liked it Brother A! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. By the way, which ones did you like the most?

I thought it would be nice to share and exchange [instead of arguing], however, I must admit I was a bit concerned that some would think I was proselytising, but I think I've kept it sufficiently neutral. I'm looking forward to reading the verses and sayings from the Quran and Ahadith in response. :sl:

Peace.

aakwrAllahwbHu

I’m glad you liked it Brother A! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

JazakAllah for the offer and your kindness, my dear sister. :-)

By the way, which ones did you like the most?

Each is awesome in its own way, my respected sister.

I am not singling out this one because I like it the most, rather because I think it speaks directly to me:

“Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to word of God. But you don’t listen to God because you don’t belong to God.†John 8:47

I thought it would be nice to share and exchange [instead of arguing], however, I must admit I was a bit concerned that some would think I was proselytising, but I think I've kept it sufficiently neutral. I'm looking forward to reading the verses and sayings from the Quran and Ahadith in response.

Very thoughtful of you to share this, dear sister. I believe the members here are very knowledgeable, and they won't look at this as an attempt to proselytize, inshallah, and instead take this in the very spirit that you intended -- sharing and exchanging. I too look forward to see the ones knowledgeable in Quran and traditions match the high standard set by you, inshallah.

"JazakAllah" to you yet again for your awesome effort.

Very thoughtful of you to share this, dear sister. I believe the members here are very knowledgeable, and they won't look at this as an attempt to proselytize, inshallah, and instead take this in the very spirit that you intended -- sharing and exchanging. I too look forward to see the ones knowledgeable in Quran and traditions match the high standard set by you, inshallah.

"JazakAllah" to you yet again for your awesome effort.

Thanks!! :sl:

“Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to word of God.†John 8:47

I know what you mean! Coincidentally, I made this one my personal statement earlier.

Today I've been thinking of the last one about the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. It is so emotive. Too many religious folk today have a 'holier than thou' attitude. God's people are humble, and they can acknowledge the wrong they do so they can be redeemed & transformed.

Well, I shall begin with the comparison:

And [yet], among the people are those who take other than Allah as equals [to Him]. They love them as they [should] love Allah . But those who believe are stronger in love for Allah . And if only they who have wronged would consider [that] when they see the punishment, [they will be certain] that all power belongs to Allah and that Allah is severe in punishment. Surat Al-Baraqah 2:165 Holy Quran [sahih International]

Prophet Muhammad said: "You will not enter paradise until you have faith; and you will not complete your faith till you love one another."

"No man is a true believer unless he desires for his brother that, what he desires for himself."

Jesus was asked what the greatest commandment was, and he replied, "The most important commandment is this: Hear O israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your mind, with all your understanding and with all your strength. The second is equally important: 'Love your neighbour as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these." Mark 12:29-31

“Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do – blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.â€

Matthew 6:1-4

The Prophet Muhammad said: "The best of alms is that, which the right hand gives and the left hand knows not of."

Hi! I have chosen the ones I liked the most. And as you can see, I have liked many. :sl:

“No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will e devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

There is no god besides God. God is One. This is the main teaching of Islam upon which the entire edifice of Islam rests. :no:

“You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to destruction is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only few ever find it.” Matthew 6:13-14

Narrated AbuHurayrah: The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) said: When Allah created Paradise, He said to Gabriel: Go and look at it. He went and looked at it, then came and said: O my Lord! By Thy might, no one who hears of it will fail to enter it. He then surrounded it with disagreeable things, and said: Go and look at it, Gabriel. He went and looked at it, then came and said: O my Lord! By Thy might, I am afraid that no one will enter it. When Allah created Hell, He said: Go and look at it, Gabriel. He went and looked at it, then came and said: O my Lord! By Thy might, no one who hears of it will enter it. He then surrounded it with desirable things and said: Go and look at it, Gabriel. He went, looked at it, then came and said: O my Lord! By Thy might and power, I am afraid that no one will remain who does not enter it. Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 40, Number 4726.

“Do to others as you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the Law and the prophets.” Matthew 6: 12

No one among you shall be a true believer unless he likes for others what he likes for himself. (Bukhari and Muslim)

“If your brother sins, rebuke him; then if there is repentance, forgive. Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks for forgiveness, you must forgive.” Luke 17:3-4

Abdullah bin Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Never a Prophet had been sent before me by Allah to his people but he had, among his people, (his) disciples and companions, who followed his ways and obeyed his command. Then there came after them their successors who proclaimed what they did not practise, and practised what they were not commanded to do. And (he) who strove against them with his hand is a believer; he who strove against them with his heart is a believer; and he who strove against them with his tongue is a believer ; and beyond that there is no grain of Faith".

[Muslim].

Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Whoever amongst you sees an evil, he must change it with his hand; if he is unable to do so, then with his tongue; and if he is unable to do so, then with his heart; and that is the weakest form of Faith".

[Muslim].

“Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: 'I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else. For I don’t cheat, I don’t sin and I give you a tenth of my income.’ But the tax collector stood at distance and prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” Luke 18:10-14

Allah Almighty says, "That Abode of the Next World: We grant it to those who do not seek to exalt themselves in the earth or to cause corruption in it. The successful outcome is for the godfearing," (28:83)

Good collection of sayings, samantha-g. Thanks for posting. :sl:

The only one that I did not agree with was

“Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to word of God. But you don’t listen to God because you don’t belong to God.” John 8:47

The reason being that to God belong all things on heaven on earth, as is mentioned in Ayat-al-Kursi of the Qur'an. Whether one listens to God's word or not, one still belongs to God.

Edited by Peace Is Power

Good collection of sayings, samantha-g. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Peace is Power for the encouragement and for your contribution!!!

The only one that I did not agree with was:

The reason being that to God belong all things on heaven on earth, as is mentioned in Ayat-al-Kursi of the Qur'an. Whether one listens to God's word or not, one still belongs to God.

Well, we also believe that all belong to God. Some context will clarify the meaning:

Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. 32 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.â€

33 “But we are descendants of Abraham,†they said. “We have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean, ‘You will be set free’?â€

34 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave of sin. 35 A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son is part of the family forever. 36 So if the son sets you free, you are truly free. 37 Yes, I realize that you are descendants of Abraham. And yet some of you are trying to kill me because there’s no room in your hearts for my message. 38 I am telling you what I saw when I was with my Father. But you are following the advice of your father.â€

39 “Our father is Abraham!†they declared.

“No,†Jesus replied, “for if you were really the children of Abraham, you would follow his example.[h] 40 Instead, you are trying to kill me because I told you the truth, which I heard from God. Abraham never did such a thing. 41 No, you are imitating your real father.â€

They replied, “We aren’t illegitimate children! God himself is our true Father.â€

42 Jesus told them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, because I have come to you from God. I am not here on my own, but he sent me. 43 Why can’t you understand what I am saying? It’s because you can’t even hear me! 44 For you are the children of your father [satan], and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 So when I tell the truth, you just naturally don’t believe me! 46 Which of you can truthfully accuse me of sin? And since I am telling you the truth, why don’t you believe me? 47 Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to the words of God. But you don’t listen because you don’t belong to God.â€

John 8:31-47 New Living Translation

So what Jesus meant is that those who are the children of God or true believers listen to God. Those who are the children or followers of Satan listen to Satan. Everyone and everything belongs to God, an example is the first saying where Jesus says that God is graceful to sinners and the righteous alike. Also, those who surrender to God gladly listen to His words and they belong to Him and nothing else.

Hi! I have chosen the ones I liked the most. And as you can see, I have liked many.

I'm glad you liked so many. I also love the one about the Good Samaritan.

Thanks again for your contribution!!! :sl:

Peace & abundant blessings of God be upon you.

Here's one of my favourite sayings:

“Can one blind person lead another? Won’t they both fall into a ditch? Students are not greater than their teacher. But a student who is fully trained will become like the teacher.

“And why worry about the speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying, ‘Friend, let me get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.†Luke 6:39-42

I laugh everytime I read this!

So what Jesus meant is that those who are the children of God or true believers listen to God. Those who are the children or followers of Satan listen to Satan.

I don't think there is such thing as children of God. Nor is there such thing as children of Satan. If it was true then all of us would be children of Satan. Don't all of us follow Satan some time or another?

Now, believers who accept the teachings of the messengers sent by God? Yeah, we have that.

One can't say that children of God is the same as believers in God. Or that children of Satan is the same as followers or believers of Satan.

34 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave of sin. 35 A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son is part of the family forever. 36 So if the son sets you free, you are truly free.

What family is Jesus talking about? Does this imply that he is the son of God? If so, then we reject such a teaching. For God cannot have a son.

The only way that a person can rid himself of his sins is through repentance. On the Day of Judgement, you will be on your own to face God. There will be no "son of God" or anybody else coming to your rescue.

Realization of this truth is what will set you free.

And this is where Islam differs with Christianity.

Edited by Peace Is Power

I don't think there is such thing as children of God. Nor is there such thing as children of Satan. If it was true then all of us would be children of Satan. Don't all of us follow Satan some time or another?

Now, believers who accept the teachings of the messengers sent by God? Yeah, we have that.

One can't say that children of God is the same as believers in God. Or that children of Satan is the same as followers or believers of Satan.

It's not necessarily in a literal sense. It's sort of like, "Like father, like son." There is a difference between following Satan occasionally and always listening to him. No one is perfect, but those who strive to follow God repent and change when they have done wrong are still his children because it is him they strive to please and He rules them. The children of Satan intentionally hurt and lie and kill and mislead others, over and over again. Satan rules them and not God, so Satan is their 'master' or 'father' and they 'belong' to him.

"Children of God" is our way of referring to:

1. Believers

2. All humanity since God is the creator and loves us all.

Now, true believers are God’s children and show mercy as he shows mercy, who forgive as he forgives, who are just as he is just. Of course, no one can show as much mercy as God can but we can follow his ways. Refer to the first saying as an example.

What family is Jesus talking about? Does this imply that he is the son of God? If so, then we reject such a teaching. For God cannot have a son.

The only way that a person can rid himself of his sins is through repentance. On the Day of Judgement, you will be on your own to face God. There will be no "son of God" or anybody else coming to your rescue.

Realization of this truth is what will set you free.

And this is where Islam differs with Christianity.

As you know, Christians hold the belief that all are the children of God. I am well aware that Islam differs on this matter. Jesus was not the son of God in any special way, and he said this. I've discussed this in detail with references to the Gospels here: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=734411&st=0&"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic...1&st=0&[/url]

There’s no such thing as a trinity.

Jesus uses a figure of speech in the section you quoted. He describes sinners as slaves, therefore outcasts, and their master as sin. Then he describes a son as a member of the family - cherished and free and empowered. He goes on to say, “If the son sets you free – you are really free,” to describe himself as one who has the power to free the slave unlike another slave. A slave [to sin] cannot free another slave [to sin] (just as a blind person cannot lead another blind person). Jesus who is not a slave [to sin] has the power to free the slave - but salvation from sin comes to those who sincerely apply the teachings of Jesus. Many Christians say they are “saved” but they are not. This ‘blood atonement’ thing is not salvation.

You can't generalise with Christianity because it is made up of a vast number of denominations with many different beliefs. Not all Christians believe in what you are talking about. There are millions who reject the notion of 'atonement'.

Edited by samantha-g

Jesus uses a figure of speech in the section you quoted.

Exactly. Where matters are not clearly stated and are left to numerous interpretations, it is better to leave it alone and just stick to what is clear.

Exactly. Where matters are not clearly stated and are left to numerous interpretations, it is better to leave it alone and just stick to what is clear.

There's nothing I can do about it. Tell Jesus or God. There are many metaphors used in the Gospels and the books of the prophets in the Old Testament. Figures of speech are very common in Aramaic [the language Jesus spoke] and he used a lot of parables to help us understand things. The meaning of these parables are clear to those of us who read the Gospels. You are the one who jumped to conclusions.

I am not surprised that you did not understand it.

There's nothing I can do about it. Tell Jesus or God. There are many metaphors used in the Gospels and the books of the prophets in the Old Testament. Figures of speech are very common in Aramaic [the language Jesus spoke] and he used a lot of parables to help us understand things.

There are many things in the Bible that are clear. Haven't you noticed that I AGREED with many of the quotes that you gave from the Bible? I only agreed with them because they are clear and based upon true principles.

The quote from John was the only one I opposed.

Parables explain principles of truth. As for figures of speech and metaphors, they can be subject to various interpretations or misinterpretations.

In the Qur'an matters are stated clearly and not left to conjecture and speculation as to their meanings.

To just give one example:

Sura Ikhlaas - 112

1. Say: He is God, the One and Only;

2. God, the Eternal, Absolute;

3. He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;

4. And there is none like unto Him.

This is what I call guidance from God. We are left in no doubt as to what the truth is and no Muslim disputes with another as to the meaning of the above. There are parables in the Qur'an as well. They all serve to make clearer the truth stated in the verses given above.

God's guidance to man has to be clear. Otherwise he will most certainly go astray!

If the Quran were so clear then Muslims would not need to rely so heavily upon scholars to clear up the contradictions in the Quran and Hadith, and make rulings about this or that. There wouldn't be any Muslims bombing chuches and shooting non-Muslims while other Muslims condemn such violence. The Quran is subject to interpretation which can either be correct or erroneous as is the Bible and any other text.

Anyone can see that Jesus was using a metaphor in the quote to which you expressed your objection. You jumped the gun because you clearly many misconceptions about Christianity and stereotypes about Christians and are ignorant about what the New Testament gospels say.

Those who are confused about the message of Jesus in the gospels or have strayed from it are the ones who have placed man-made traditions and doctrines above or on the same level to what Jesus taught. The Gospels are clear that God is one, and that Jesus was human, etc. See the "Is Jesus God?" post.

Back to the topic:

“If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.”

Matthew 6:14-15

Prophet Muhammad said: God is merciful to those who show mercy to others.

Peace, love, blessings and happiness to all.

Edited by samantha-g

If the Quran were so clear then Muslims would not need to rely so heavily upon scholars to clear up the contradictions in the Quran and Hadith, and make rulings about this or that. There wouldn't be any Muslims bombing chuches and shooting non-Muslims while other Muslims condemn such violence. The Quran is subject to interpretation which can either be correct or erroneous as is the Bible and any other text.

No Muslim scholar disputes the meaning given in Sura Ikhlaas. Anyone who begs to have a different opinion couldn't be called a Muslim.

The Truth has always been clear. Accepting it or rejecting is another issue.

One of the most important verses from the Qur'an:

"Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things." - 2:256

Peace is Power,

No Muslim scholar disputes the meaning given in Sura Ikhlaas. Anyone who begs to have a different opinion couldn't be called a Muslim.

When I said:

I was not referring to the Surah you quoted, I was speaking of the general dependency upon the insight and rulings of scholars.

aakwrAllahwbHu

Hey, my respected sisters. :sl:

You know, putting the usernames of you two together makes for a complete sentence.

Peace Is Power, samantha-g. :no:

samantha-g, Peace Is Power. :j:

Umm. Whatever. :sl:

I was not referring to the Surah you quoted, I was speaking of the general dependency upon the insight and rulings of scholars.

Insight and rulings of scholars are not needed in matters that are clear. That is not to say that insight and rulings of scholars are not needed. Scholars can provide insight that can help enhance our understanding of the Qur'an. That's what scholars are there for. Not to make things complicated and encourage division but to clarify, explain, educate and help people comprehend the meaning of the Qur'an. And that, you have to agree, is definitely a good thing.

I agree that scholars can be very helpful and I understand the important role they play in the Islamic community. However, you cannot deny that often there are contradictory views among scholars. Some say Muslims can be friends with Jews and Christians and others say that they should disassociate with all non-Muslims. Some say polygamy is permissible, while others disagree. Some say women must cover up completely while others say that a woman need only to dress conservatively and wear hijab. Some say it's okay to beat your wife, others don't. Mixed-gender environments are permissible to some scholars while others say it is haraam. Some say Christians and Jews are believers while others say they are Kufaar.

I only brought up this reliance on scholars because you were complaining about the use of metaphors and parables and came to the conclusion that the the New Testament gospels are confusing or unclear because Jesus used a lot of parables to put things into perspective for us. It's very rich of you to label the gospels as being unclear just because of your own confusion about one metaphor when the Quran is full of contradictions and some of the Ahadith contradict the Quran. And if the Quran is so clear then scholars would not be needed to give a billion rulings or clear up the contradictions. That's what I was saying. I did not create this post with the intention of arguing or competing. You just came to your own premature conclusions and I thought that I would clear it up.

Your self-righteous accusation that the Gospels are unclear because of the use of parables and figures of speech (an accusation seemingly based in ignorance) is one which could be made about the Quran because of its many contradictions and the various interpretions of the text.

Peace.

Hey, my respected sisters.

You know, putting the usernames of you two together makes for a complete sentence.

Peace Is Power, samantha-g.

samantha-g, Peace Is Power.

Umm. Whatever.

LOL! Brother A!

The first part of my name is derived from Samuel which means 'the one who listens to God' so perhaps the combination of our usernames is: listening to God = Peace and Power!

Great Stuff!!

I agree that scholars can be very helpful and I understand the important role they play in the Islamic community. However, you cannot deny that often there are contradictory views among scholars. Some say Muslims can be friends with Jews and Christians and others say that they should disassociate with all non-Muslims. Some say polygamy is permissible, while others disagree. Some say women must cover up completely while others say that a woman need only to dress conservatively and wear hijab. Some say it's okay to beat your wife, others don't. Mixed-gender environments are permissible to some scholars while others say it is haraam. Some say Christians and Jews are believers while others say they are Kufaar.

Scholars say a lot of things. There are scholars who have extremist views. We reject those. There are also scholars who issue fatwas to please people and their own selves. We reject those as well. Only the opinion of Allah and His Messenger counts and this should be the determining factor that makes clear which ruling is the right ruling.

Scholars say a lot of things. There are scholars who have extremist views. We reject those. There are also scholars who issue fatwas to please people and their own selves. We reject those as well. Only the opinion of Allah and His Messenger counts and this should be the determining factor that makes clear which ruling is the right ruling.

I agree totally.

Here are some sayings of the Prophet Muhammed(pbuh)

“Allah will not be merciful to those who are not merciful to people.†[bukari]

“Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well and that if they do wrong you will do wrong. But (instead) accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong if they do evil.†[Trimidhi]

“Do not wish to be like anyone, except in two cases: (1) A man whom Allah has given wealth and he spends it righteously. (2) A man whom Allah has given wisdom (knowledge of the Qur’an and the Hadith) and he acts according to it and teaches it to others.†[bukhari]

“Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, let him say something good or keep quiet.â€

[Trimidhi]

“There are many doors to goodness. (Saying) ‘glory to God,’ ‘praise be to God,’ ‘there is no deity but God,’ enjoining good, forbidding evil, removing harm from the road, listening to the deaf (until you understand them), leading the blind, guiding one to the object of his need, hurrying with the strength of one’s legs to one in sorrow who is asking for help, and supporting the weak with the strength of one’s arms – all of these are (forms of) charity prescribed for you.†[fiqh us sunnah]

“A strong person is not the person who throws his adversaries to the ground. A strong person is the one who contains himself when he is angry.†[ Muslim]

“When something weighs on your conscience, give it up.†[ Trimidhi]

“A true action leads to the path of virtue and good deeds, and virtue paves the way of a person to Paradise, and the said person continues to speak the truth till in the sight of Allah he is named Siddiq( Truthful). Lying leads to vice, and vice leads to indecent acts and if a person goes on lying till in the sight of Allah he is named a liar.â€[Muslim]

I will gather some more later along with some verses from the quran

Salaam (peace)

Ala'adin

Thanks ala-adin!!! Great stuff. May I ask, which of the sayings of Jesus was your favourite?

Shlama (peace) to you too.