Islamic Forum
Mrs. J

Does God Only Love Muslims?

Surah 30:45 says:

“That He may reward out of His bounty those who believe and do good works. Lo! He loveth not the disbelievers (in His guidance).†– Pickthall

“That He may reward those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism), and do righteous good deeds, out of His Bounty. Verily, He likes not the disbelievers.†– Hilal-Khan

“That He may reward those who believe and work righteous deeds, out of his Bounty. For He loves not those who reject Faith.†– Yusuf Ali

Does God only love Muslims? Does He love Muslims because they are Muslims or does He not love the naughty Muslims as much? Does he love some non-Muslims or none at all? If He doesn’t love any, is it because they are non-Muslims or only those who are naughty?

I’m curious to hear how all of you guys understand God’s love, and what the various scholastic opinions are in this regard. Also, are there any verses which say otherwise?

PropellerAds

Yes, God only loves Muslims as in people whose eventual destination is Paradise. God does not love disbelievers whose eternal destination is hell, people such as Satan (Iblis), Pharaoh of Moses and every disbeliever that rejects the Truth and dies rejecting. God in Islam is not an All-Loving God or All-Merciful that sometimes some Christians imagine Him to be. In Islam, it is clear that God does not love those who reject the Truth and He loves those who believe and do good deeds.

To add to the above , Allah is merciful to both disbelievers and believers in this world

Thanks Younes & abu hafs for your swift replies.

God in Islam is not an All-Loving God or All-Merciful that sometimes some Christians imagine Him to be.

Hi Younes,

Okay. So instead of this:

"And He is the Forgiving, the Loving," Pickthall

It's like this:

And He is Oft-Forgiving, full of love (towards the pious who are real true believers of Islamic Monotheism), 85:14 Hilal-Khan

Why does He no longer love Jews?

To add to the above , Allah is merciful to both disbelievers and believers in this world

Hi bu hafs

I agree. Jesus taught this and said that we should then also show mercy to believers and non-believers, sinners and the righteous (see "Sayings of Jesus You Might Like").

So, He is merciful to believers and non-believers, but only loves believers in Islam.

Thanks Younes & abu hafs for your swift replies.

Hi Younes,

Okay. So instead of this:

"And He is the Forgiving, the Loving," Pickthall

It's like this:

And He is Oft-Forgiving, full of love (towards the pious who are real true believers of Islamic Monotheism), 85:14 Hilal-Khan

Pickthall's translation is correct because that's what it says in the Arabic original so it is not a case of "so instead this it's like this" as if the the two translations are implying two different, opposite things. The words that in brackets in Hilal-Khan's are not part of the original Arabic text, they are put there by the translator to set some context.

Why does He no longer love Jews?

First off, Jews is not a homogenous group. Jews that followed their respective Prophets such as Moses, Joshua, Samuel, Elijah, David, Solomon, peace be upon them all, etc. are believers whom God loves. As for Jews who killed Prophets, peace be upon them all, and rejected in His Prophets such Elijah and more notably Jesus, peace be upon him and Muhammad, peace and blessings of God be upon him, then God does not love them.

So, He is merciful to believers and non-believers, but only loves believers in Islam.

Yes, merciful as in He shows compassion towards the believer and the disbeliever alike by providing for them out of His bounties. However, on the Day of Judgement the person who has rejected the Truth will be shown no mercy. As for a non-believer who hasn't been exposed to the Truth in this world, they will be tested on the Day of Judgement by God. He will take a covenant from them where they agree to obey Him so He will ask them to enter Hell. Who enters it will find it cool and He will enter Paradise. Who doesn't enter it will be told, "you didn't obey me when I commanded you directly, you wouldn't have obeyed me when I sent My Messengers", so he will enter Hell and will be shown no mercy.

Hi Younes,

I am aware that Hilal-Khan's translation contains the interpolation in parentheses.

First off, Jews is not a homogenous group. Jews that followed their respective Prophets such as Moses, Joshua, Samuel, Elijah, David, Solomon, peace be upon them all, etc. are believers whom God loves. As for Jews who killed Prophets, peace be upon them all, and rejected in His Prophets such Elijah and more notably Jesus, peace be upon him and Muhammad, peace and blessings of God be upon him, then God does not love them.

Some generalise and so God does not love Jews at all.

So what kind of Christians does God like in your understanding? :sl:

Those Christians who believed in Jesus's, peace be upon, original Message. Those who didn't believe him to be the or a Son of God (whether literally or figuratively), Lord nor God. Those who didn't believe him to be crucified for the sins of mankind. In short, those whose beliefs were inline with Islamic beliefs.

But if you are in/on a journey to the truth, you should be ok.

But then only you and God will know.

Quran 3:19. Truly, the religion with Allâh is Islâm. Those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) did not differ except, out of mutual jealousy, after knowledge had come to them. And whoever disbelieves in the Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allâh, then surely, Allâh is Swift in calling to account.

One of the fundamental tenets of Islam is believing and accepting ALL prophets pbut of Allah, including Muhammad (saw), those who rejected Muhammad (saw) or any of the other prophets are considered the disbelievers and the rebellious.

Allah Knows best..

First we have to define the term "Muslim". The word Islam comes from the root word "submit" or "surrender". Therefore, "Islam" linguistically means "submission" (to the will of God).

"Muslim" is from the word "Islam" and means "One who submits".

So being a Muslim literally means submitting oneself to God's will. Every single nation that has followed the prophet that was sent to them was a Muslim, meaning they were people who submitted to God's will. Anyone who rejects/disbelieves in any prophet or teaching revealed by God has not submitted.

Linguistically, Christians are not "Muslims" - they are not people who submitted to God. God does not like or love those who have not submitted to Him (by following everything they believed, rather than everything they think he revealed).

Salam.

:sl:

Just to add to the above, quote from Ibn Khatir ,The prophet (saw) said (By He in Whose Hand is my soul! No member of this Ummah, no Jew or Christian, hears of me but dies without believing in what I was sent with, but will be among the people of the Fire.) Muslim recorded this Hadith.

Allah Knows best..

Does God only love Muslims?

Hey there samanthag! God is known as The Loving. So His love encompasses all creation, including all people. However, there are other attributes of God we could consider. God is also The Just. He is also The All Knowing. Since He is All Knowing, He knows exactly who is worthy of being guided and who is worthy of being left astray. This means He already knows, even before creation of all human beings, who among them are good and who are not. That knowledge belongs only to God. You agree? He knows what is in the hearts of all people. So if He sees any good in any person, He chooses to guide that person. God in His vast knowledge also chooses which among men He would love. Who God will choose we do not know. But it's a fact that God can choose people from any group of people, from any religion. They can be Jews, Christians, even polytheists, atheists and Muslims. And I have included Muslims in here because there are many people out there who claim to be Muslims but they have engaged in bi'dah and corrupted the religion. God does not love these Muslims and they will be in the Fire.

But today, if you've heard of Muhammad (and his teachings) and choose to ignore him you won't be amongst the guided - 'muslims', jews or christians. We all know that.

But today, if you've heard of Muhammad (and his teachings) and choose to ignore him you won't be amongst the guided - 'muslims', jews or christians. We all know that.

Whoever God guides none can misguide. Whoever He leaves astray none can guide. This applies to all people on earth, regardless of religion. We just don't know who among us are the chosen ones to receive His guidance.

Edited by White Warrior

Repeat - you won't be guided if you ignore Muhammad. Otherwise the implication is that we have another true religion; if there is I am interested to know. He he..

Repeat - you won't be guided if you ignore Muhammad.

Why should I follow him rather than Jesus? You know corroboration of Muhammad is scanty in the Bible and he was not greater than Moses nor Jesus. I'm willing to die for Jesus rather than follow Muhammad. No offense, but that's how I feel.

Those Christians who believed in Jesus's, peace be upon, original Message. Those who didn't believe him to be the or a Son of God (whether literally or figuratively), Lord nor God. Those who didn't believe him to be crucified for the sins of mankind. In short, those whose beliefs were inline with Islamic beliefs.

Younes, let me explain again:

1.) Jesus is referred to as ‘Lord’ in the Bible, meaning master, sir, teacher or lord. It was a common to refer to a highly esteemed person or religious leader in such a manner. Jesus is not referred to as ‘LORD’ as in God. This may be confusing but you should notice that in English Bibles, when God is being referred to, ‘LORD’ is fully capitalised because it ‘substitutes’ God’s Holy Name, whereas Jesus is just ‘Lord’. David was also referred to as ‘Lord’, do you disagree with that too? Do you disagree with anyone being referred to as 'sir' or 'lord' out of respect or only when Christians do it? Not all Christians believe that Jesus is part of a Trinity or is God. Not everyone believes in the atonement doctrine.

2.) Here’s an excerpt from Wikipedia:

“The New Testament frequently refers to Jesus as the son of God; Jesus seldom does, but often refers to God as his father. Geza Vermes has argued that Jesus and his followers may have understood this title differently. He observes that the Hebrew Bible uses the phrase "son of God" in other senses: to refer to heavenly or angelic beings; to refer to the Children of israel, and to refer to kings. There is no New Testament evidence to suggest that early Christians thought of Jesus as an angel, so the first two usages seem not to apply.[citation needed] In the Gospels, the being of Jesus as "son of God", corresponds exactly to the typical Hasid from Galilee, a "pious" holy man that by God intervention performs miracles and exorcisms.â€

– 'Names and titles of Jesus'

3.) Jesus taught that we are all God’s children and he referred to God as ‘the Father’ and ‘your Father'. He said in prayer prior to his arrest, “Let them know that you have loved them, even as you have loved me.â€Thus, the idea that we become ‘adopted’ children contradicts what Jesus said. God loves us.

Linguistically, Christians are not "Muslims" - they are not people who submitted to God. God does not like or love those who have not submitted to Him (by following everything they believed, rather than everything they think he revealed).

Interesting...

God loves everybody. If God is all-loving, is it not contradictory to then claim He only loves some people? God’s love is not like human love – it is infinite. God doesn’t have to show mercy to all, but He does so because each person is valuable to Him. If not, He would strike down everyone who is not a Muslim. I believe that God shows mercy because He is all-Loving.

The more time I spend on this site and the more I learn about Islam, the the stronger I feel about being a Christian. That's the truth.

Edited by samantha-g

The more time I spend on this site and the more I learn about Islam, the the stronger I feel about being a Christian. That's the truth.

There is no compulsion in Islam my sister. :sl: Whatever your choice, I respect it. (I was a Christian too and it took me a while for me to accept Islam. There used to be Muslims who even sort of threatened me and warned me if I didn't believe like they did. That only served to turn me away. For a long time I remained in that state of denial. I didn't like something to be forced upon me. But it was God's will that I finally should understand what Islam really meant. After that, well, here I am, a Muslim. Alhamdulillah!)

There is no compulsion in Islam my sister. :sl: Whatever your choice, I respect it. (I was a Christian too and it took me a while for me to accept Islam. There used to be Muslims who even sort of threatened me and warned me if I didn't believe like they did. That only served to turn me away. For a long time I remained in that state of denial. I didn't like something to be forced upon me. But it was God's will that I finally should understand what Islam really meant. After that, well, here I am, a Muslim. Alhamdulillah!)

Why should I follow him rather than Jesus? You know corroboration of Muhammad is scanty in the Bible and he was not greater than Moses nor Jesus. I'm willing to die for Jesus rather than follow Muhammad. No offense, but that's how I feel.

Here's reasons why you should follow the Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings of God be upon him:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?s=&showtopic=734272&view=findpost&p=1229733"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?s=&sh...t&p=1229733[/url]

By the way, I read this last passage of yours before you edited your post. It is good to know how you truly feel.

There is no compulsion in Islam my sister. smile.gif Whatever your choice, I respect it. (I was a Christian too and it took me a while for me to accept Islam. There used to be Muslims who even sort of threatened me and warned me if I didn't believe like they did. That only served to turn me away. For a long time I remained in that state of denial. I didn't like something to be forced upon me. But it was God's will that I finally should understand what Islam really meant. After that, well, here I am, a Muslim. Alhamdulillah!)

Hi White warrior,

God bless you. I am happy for you as long as you feel like you are connecting with God. You are right in saying that there is no compulsion in relgiion because God gave us free will. He did not compel Adam to refrain from eating from the forbidden fruit, He warned him not to do it but gave him the freedom to choose.

Many of the people I have interacted with on this site have been hostile toward me an plain rude and nasty, and some have even said "You're a Christian" as if I am a haraam pig! people generalise and are very judgemental. This is surprising to me because Muslims in my country do not treat me thus. As a South African, I know what discrimination is and I have to say that I could compare some of you to the few racists that still exist here. There are a few more interesting topics I wanna post and them I'm gonna leave. I did not have doubts about my faith I joined because I am very interested in theological matters, however the attitude some of you have is not endearing to a potential convert. I am beginning to feel differently about Islam and that's also the truth. No Jew, Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh, Bahai, Rastafarian has treated me like this. I'll stick to my South African Brothers and Sisters who are Muslims.

Thanks Younes, I'll check out the link later, but I will also share with you guys my reasons for remaining a Christian so you can understand where I am coming from. In the end, my choice is between me and God and only He knows what kind of person and what kind of Christian I am.

Yes, I did revise my original comment. I think you would feel the same if I gave you back what you dished.

I'm confused, is there or isn't there compulsion in religion?

Ciao! :sl:

Many of the people I have interacted with on this site have been hostile toward me an plain rude and nasty, and some have even said "You're a Christian" as if I am a haraam pig! people generalise and are very judgemental.

I've faced the same sort of thing my sister, so I understand perfectly well what you mean. It hurts a lot I know. And I'm glad you were able to speak about it and let everyone know how you feel. Alhamdulillah!

Your question Does God Love Only The Muslims is also very interesting. Because you see, the sort of people that God loves are the elite, who possess exemplary qualities, possessed by the Prophet sallallaho alayhi wa sallam himself. To obtain that sort of status is hard, I mean, to win the love and pleasure of God, you know what I mean sister? :sl:

Edited by White Warrior

In the end, my choice is between me and God and only He knows what kind of person and what kind of Christian I am.

This fine with us. But remember that you are accountable for your research - as will everybody else.

Yes, I did revise my original comment. I think you would feel the same if I gave you back what you dished.

Now, you complained a lot about the Muslim members of this site but remember that you aren't really a person with the best of character, either. Saying hello and posting nice words isn't enough to make you a good person. You yourself admitted that you didn't read some of my posts or didn't read them in full when we were trying to have a discussion. Is that a person with whom one can have a dialogue? A person who doesn't even read your posts? As a matter of fact, ironically nobody on this site has ever treated me in that manner - no Christian, Jew, Atheist ect - I mean at least they read my posts, or at least didn't flat out say that they didn't read them. It's no big deal though, I have tough skin. The reason why I am pointing this out is not to complain but to make you reflect on your own character, too.

Don't think that just because people are harsh with you that they are rude - the reason I was harsh is because this is a very serious matter. Go and read what Jesus, peace be upon him, is quoted calling the Jews. He calls them vipers, hypocrites and says that they are of their father the devil. Furthermore, he drove people out of the Temple and overthrew tables. Would you consider this hostile? I bet the Pharisees also thought that nobody had ever treated them like that or they said that they could compare Jesus, peace be upon him, to the racist Romans or rude Samaritans. Don't think that just because a person admonishes you that he is rude and hostile.

Now, you complained a lot about the Muslim members of this site but remember that you aren't really a person with the best of character, either. Saying hello and posting nice words isn't enough to make you a good person.

Brother, perhaps it's better to refrain from such speech. It isn't becoming for a Muslim to accuse anyone of not having the best of character. We all have faults. :sl:

Brother, perhaps it's better to refrain from such speech. It isn't becoming for a Muslim to accuse anyone of not having the best of character. We all have faults. :sl:

No, I think my post is well-suited for the occassion and no boundaries were overstepped. If it is alright for Samantha to go on a rant about Muslims - that I feel is unjustified - then I feel it is very appropriate for me to also point out a few flaws in her own character and explain to her that sometimes harshness is not unjustified; that's why I brought up the examples of Jesus', peace be upon him, words and actions from the Gospels so maybe Samantha could better relate.

By the way, I read this last passage of yours before you edited your post. It is good to know how you truly feel.

Yes, I do feel repelled by some of the things I have heard.

Edited by samantha-g