Islamic Forum
Mrs. J

Does God Only Love Muslims?

dont quite understand part of your post that i've highlighted. perhaps you could elaborate. tq. :sl:

The part where it says, "There's none like unto Him."

When we read the Bible, we do not get a real idea of what God is like. We get the impression that God is like us, human beings. No wonder then that the Christians have begun to believe that Jesus is God.

"There's none like unto Him" in the Qur'an told me one thing and that was God is NOT like human beings at all. He is nothing like anything we can even imagine. There's nothing comparable to God in the universe. So it's foolishness to try to imagine what God is like or to even think of him in the form of a human being, who is limited in his sight and hearing. He has only two eyes and two ears.

But God hears all things, sees all things and knows all things. How can we imagine a being like that? How many eyes, ears and brains would He need to be able to do all that? He knows what I'm doing right now, including my thoughts, intentions and at the same time He knows what's happening in Japan where people are beseeching Him for help. He hears the cry of each and every human being on earth. All at the same time!!

The Bible doesn't have this kind of line to describe God: "There's none like unto Him."

The Qur'an does. And it made perfect sense to me.

Sorry for the late reply.

PropellerAds
It is really disappointing to see the condescending talk from some Muslims here talking like they are better than others. Firstly even if you believe in Allah and you are arrogant you just become like the character of Satan. I think we all forget that just believing in Allah alone isn't all it takes to be Muslim. Of course it is a crucial part of Islam but Allah also teaches us to be kind, patient and friendly. If a non-muslim comes here seeking information about Islam, shame on those who speak like they are better and and the non-muslim is wrong. Even if a person is rude to you, it doesn't mean you need to be rude. If all the prophets lived this way who would want to believe in Allah. Sorry to say this but the rude people here have done injustice to what Islam really is. I do hope all of us Muslims here watch our words and everytime we are about to post something ask ourselves is this how Muhammad would speak to a non Muslim and would Allah approve of the way I am talking?

Alhamdulillah! Good points, mashallah. Jazak Allah khair for speaking up. :sl:

In summary I believe that Allah does not hate anyone.

:sl:

I am sorry but this is clearly wrong.

God does hate disbelievers, i.e. people who reject the Truth when they are exposed to it and who die disbelieving. Do you think that God does not hate Iblis, his minions, the people of Noah, Thamud, 'Ad, the people of Lot, Midian, Pharaoh, Abu Lahab and all the disbelievers for whom He has prepared an eternal fire?

"Verily God has cursed the Unbelievers and prepared for them a Blazing Fire, - To dwell therein for ever: no protector will they find, nor helper." (Qur'an 33:64-65)

There are other verses which mention that the punishment is eternal besides this one I quoted and that it will never be lightened for the people of hell, that they will neither live nor die in Hell, they won't get out of the fire, etc. There is a consensus among the scholars that Hell is eternal for disbelievers, there is no dispute.

You ought not to speak without knowledge. "Do not follow the footsteps of the evil one, for he is to you an avowed enemy. For he commands you what is evil and shameful, and that ye should say of Allah that of which ye have no knowledge." (2:168-169)

Go to this link and search for the word "wrath": (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetusc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/search.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetusc.edu/schools/college/crcc/en...lim/search.html[/url]

Read the Qur'an and it will become adundantly clear that God certainly isn't all-Loving and that He indeed does hate disbelievers.

No I disagree. It does not say God hates disbelievers. It says God has cursed them ok that is not the same meaning as hate so it is wrong to say it means the same thing. We can't just apply our own meaning. I ought not to speak without knowledge? Ok I agree I do not know every single thing in Islam but I have never seen the word hate and all the attributes of Allah in the Quran not one of them is the hater or something like this.

Thank you for the link I appreciate it. I do know what the word wrath means though and it refers to anger. However anger is not the same meaning as hate. I can be angry with a person it does not mean I hate them. I may dislike the beliefs of a person but it does not mean i hate them.

Also I never claimed that Allah loves disbelievers. Clearly it says in the quran Allah dislikes the disbelievers yet again it is not the word hate. If you can show me the word hate then yes I will accept that I am wrong but otherwise I won't.

Well, God has created an eternal Hell for disbelievers like it says in the verse I quoted. This fact alone means that He hates disbelievers. Do you think that people upon whom the wrath of God is for ever are not hated by Him? So God doesn't love disbelievers and His wrath is for ever upon the disbelievers whom He punishes eternally in Hell but He doesn't hate them, according to you? I am sorry but that's just sophistry and word games. What you said is equivalent somebody to saying: "God does not love sin but it doesn't mean that He doesn't like it, you can like something but not love it". You should also know that "wrath" is synomous with "hate", even in English just as it is in Arabic. In fact, "wrath" is worse than "hate".

I just don't understand how you can say it is ok to interpret the word dislike/curse for the word hate. I am not playing word games at all Younes and you shouldn't accuse me of it. If we are to believe Allah hates then everytime we read the quran and see the word dislike we must think of the word hate? That is what I am getting from you because you are saying the word hate when I don't see it in the quran. Yes I am saying there is also a difference between the word like and love. If Allah didn't want there to be a difference then why would He use two different words. I just want to know if the word hate exists in the quran.

I am not replying anymore because the whole topic of Allah hating has deeply affected me and made me consider what I am believing.

When you read the Qur'an, did you read the passages which say.

- that disbelievers will be in Hell for ever

- they are cursed by God and the Angels

- they are worst of creatures in the sight of God

- they will want to get out of the Fire but they will not get out of it

- the punishment won't lightened for them

Are you fine with that?

When you read the Qur'an, did you read the passages which say.

- that disbelievers will be in Hell for ever

- they are cursed by God and the Angels

- they are worst of creatures in the sight of God

- they will want to get out of the Fire but they will not get out of it

- the punishment won't lightened for them

Are you fine with that?

The Qur'an does say that God does not love the disbelievers. But who these people are, we really are in no position to say. That is for God to determine not us.

We cannot say that such and such is a disbeliever and therefore God hates him. We have no right to even call a person a disbeliever. If so, how can we go about saying that God hates such and such people? It's possible that the person who we call a disbeliever is guided by Allah and wins His pleasure and it's also possible that the person we call Muslim be misguided by Allah and earns His wrath.

The Qur'an does say that God does not love the disbelievers. But who these people are, we really are in no position to say. That is for God to determine not us.

I completly agree. This is what I have been saying through out this thread. If you read my posts, you will see that my definition of a disbeliever in this context is a person who is deemed by God to be a person who was sufficiently exposed to the Truth and then rejected it. The same definition goes for a believer : a person who is deemed by God on the Day of Judgement to be a believer.

We cannot say that such and such is a disbeliever and therefore God hates him. We have no right to even call a person a disbeliever. If so, how can we go about saying that God hates such and such people? It's possible that the person who we call a disbeliever is guided by Allah and wins His pleasure and it's also possible that the person we call Muslim be misguided by Allah and earns His wrath.

It is possible that one who is presently a disbeliever will be guided to Islam by God and becomes loved by Him, and a Muslim becomes a disbeliever and earns God's wrath. Yes, I completly agree if that is what you mean. I also agree that we can't go around telling people that you are a disbeliever, therefore, God hates you because we don't know the Unseen. I also completly agee with this if that is what you mean. Nowhere in this thread have I declared that God hates a specific person because I don't have that kind of knowledge - except for those that are specifically mentioned by God in the Qur'an such as Iblis, his minions, the people of Noah, Thamud, 'Ad, Pharaoh, Abu Lahab among others - otherwise I have been just speaking in general.

But I don't agree that we can't call a person a disbeliever. Of course, we can. A person who is not a Muslim is a disbeliever, it's as simple as that. The word is used for people who are accountable, i.e. people whom Islam hasn't reached, therefore, they are not accountable for their disbelief, and also for people who have been exposed to Islam and rejected Islam. Both are unbelivers although one of them will be held accountable for his disbelief and will thrown into and the other whom the Truth didn't reach in this life will tested by God on the Day of Judgement and depending on the outcome of that test he will be either in Paradise or Hell. But I agree that it is recommended that you don't adress non-Muslims as disbelievers because most will take offense.

The part where it says, "There's none like unto Him."

When we read the Bible, we do not get a real idea of what God is like. We get the impression that God is like us, human beings. No wonder then that the Christians have begun to believe that Jesus is God.

"There's none like unto Him" in the Qur'an told me one thing and that was God is NOT like human beings at all. He is nothing like anything we can even imagine. There's nothing comparable to God in the universe. So it's foolishness to try to imagine what God is like or to even think of him in the form of a human being, who is limited in his sight and hearing. He has only two eyes and two ears.

But God hears all things, sees all things and knows all things. How can we imagine a being like that? How many eyes, ears and brains would He need to be able to do all that? He knows what I'm doing right now, including my thoughts, intentions and at the same time He knows what's happening in Japan where people are beseeching Him for help. He hears the cry of each and every human being on earth. All at the same time!!

The Bible doesn't have this kind of line to describe God: "There's none like unto Him."

The Qur'an does. And it made perfect sense to me.

Sorry for the late reply.

many thanks for your reply. i understand your god better. christians who believe jesus is god are trinity guys. that's beside the point. the bible does have something like - THERE'S NONE LIKE UNTO HIM. its in jeremiah 10:6 - no one is like you, lord; you are great, and your name is mighty in power. :sl:

i must agree with you wholeheartedly. its not for man to say who's going to hell or heaven. we may have some kind of guidelines based on our holy books but we couldnt be sure 101%. :sl:

But I agree that it is recommended that you don't adress non-Muslims as disbelievers because most will take offense.[using large font size is not allowed]

dead right. nobody wanna be called disbelievers. the word DISBELIEVERS OR NONBELIEVERS OR THOSE WHO REJECT OR THOSE WHO REFUSE TO BELIEVE is "subjective". those who dont believe in christianity salvation are disbelievers too and they COULD go to hell as in matthew 25 - depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

i meant no offence to muslims here. :sl:

many thanks for your reply. i understand your god better. christians who believe jesus is god are trinity guys. that's beside the point. the bible does have something like - THERE'S NONE LIKE UNTO HIM. its in jeremiah 10:6 - no one is like you, lord; you are great, and your name is mighty in power. :sl:

Hey there tom! Thanks for showing me a line that's kinda similar to the line THERE'S NONE LIKE UNTO HIM. I really didn't know such a line existed in the Bible.

However, the Qur'an had more of an impact upon my mind regarding the true nature of God because the line THERE'S NONE LIKE UNTO HIM came along with other very powerful lines that left no doubt who the true God was.

Those lines are as follows:

1 Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;

2 Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;

3 He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;

4 And there is none like unto Him.

There is no place in the Bible where all these lines come together to explain who our true God is. You tell me, what would affect you more: that isolated line you mentioned in Jeremiah 10:6 or the combined power of these 4 lines mentioned above?

Hey there tom! Thanks for showing me a line that's kinda similar to the line THERE'S NONE LIKE UNTO HIM. I really didn't know such a line existed in the Bible.

However, the Qur'an had more of an impact upon my mind regarding the true nature of God because the line THERE'S NONE LIKE UNTO HIM came along with other very powerful lines that left no doubt who the true God was.

There is no place in the Bible where all these lines come together to explain who our true God is. You tell me, what would affect you more: that isolated line you mentioned in Jeremiah 10:6 or the combined power of these 4 lines mentioned above?

hi dude, i'm toying with whether to reply or not to. but methinks i'm gonna go ahead nonetheless. i believe lady SAMANTHA could give more indepth response.

bible did give comprehensive understanding who god is though most of us (trinitarians and twoness) gonna take him as both god and man. here's what i get from the net, its not from unscholarly me. :sl:

The following is a description of the qualities of God that make God the great God that He is.

God is a spirit. John 4:24. God is there even if He cannot be seen. God is not limited by a physical body.

God is personal. God has a name (Exodus 3:14). He has a personality. He knows, He feels, He acts, He has emotions. A person can talk with God just like they talk with their own father (Matthew 6:9). God cares for us just like a father (Matthew 7:9-11).

God is alive. John 5:26. God is not a thing. He is alive. God does things.

God is infinite or not limited. God is omnipresent. Psalm 139:7-12. God is not limited to a certain space. God fills the heavens and the earth. Every person throughout the world is always in the presence of God.

God is eternal. Psalm 90:1-2. God is not limited by time. He has always been here and He always will be here.

God is all knowing. Psalm 147:5; 1 John 3:20. Because God knows everything, we can trust that God knows what is good for us.

God is omnipotent. Matthew 19:26. God is all powerful. God can do whatever God wants to do.

God does not change. James 1:17; Psalm 102:27; Malachi 3:6. God's nature and His purpose will always be the same.

God is free from anything wicked or evil. God is holy. Leviticus 11:44-45. God is absolutely pure and good.

God is righteous. Psalm 19:7-9; Jeremiah 9:24. God's actions and law are always perfect just like His nature or character.

God is just. Jeremiah 9:24; Job 34:12. God fairly rewards or punishes a person's actions.

God rejects sin. Isaiah 59:2. Sin makes a person unacceptable to God.

God is truthful. Titus 1:2. A person can always trust that God's word is true.

God is faithful. 1 Thessalonians 5:24. God keeps his promises.

God loves. 1 John 4:16. God cares for and provides for those He loves. Matthew 6:25-27. God watches over those He loves just like He feeds the birds.

God's gifts are based on grace. Ephesians 2:7-9. God meets the needs of His people based on His goodness, not based on what they deserve.

God is compassionate. Psalm 103:13. God is concerned with a person's troubles and desires to help.

God is patient. Exodus 34:6. God will not abandon a person who makes a mistake and will forgive a person who asks for forgiveness and repents.

Tom,

also in the quran there are many words to describe Allah , surah al Ikhlas is like a summary of Allahs oneness and we say this surah daily as Muslims. But if you look at the 99 names of Allah you will see similar attributes that you have just listed such as God is All Knowing, and all these names come from the quran so they are just as important as surah al Ikhlas is to us.

Link to list of 99 names of Allah: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamicity(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/mosque/99names.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamicity(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/mosque/99names.htm[/url]

Edited by Lost_In_Paradise

If God knows all things, then He knows who will accept Islam and who will reject it - yet, He still creates non-Muslims knowing what they will choose since He is omniscient. Why put them through the test in this life or at the resurrection when He already knows the outcome? Why allow non-Muslims to be born?

If God knows all things, then He knows who will accept Islam and who will reject it - yet, He still creates non-Muslims knowing what they will choose since He is omniscient. Why put them through the test in this life or at the resurrection when He already knows the outcome? Why allow non-Muslims to be born?

He cannot be questioned as to what He does, while they will be questioned (21:23)

He creates as He wills, and it is He Who has all knowledge and power (30:54)

This is how God has decided that things will go. Why allow non-Muslims to be born? Why allow Muslims to be born? So that they will witness against themselves on the Day of Judgement. God lets us live this life so that we are accountable. God has decided that the humankind and Jinn will be either in Paradise or in Hell. Like God says, He creates as He pleases and He cannot be questioned, instead we will be.

All people are born on the pure faith, as Muslims. But their parents make them disbelievers by teaching them the religion of their forefathers. This is stated in the following hadith:

The Prophet Muhammad said, "No babe is born but upon Fitra (as a Muslim). It is his parents who make him a Jew or a Christian or a Polytheist." (Sahih Muslim, Book 033, Number 6426)

Still, among the disbelievers there are people who God will guide to Islam and thereby they will enter Paradise. And among believers, there are those who God will misguide and they will end up in Hell.

Only God has knowledge of who is good and who is not. Many times one may observe that God guides people who we think are "bad". Or He may misguide someone who we think are "good".

An excellent example would be to consider the case of Abu Talib, the Prophet's (saws) uncle. We would think, based upon all the support and protection Abu Talib gave to his nephew (saws), God would have guided him to Islam. But that's based upon our understanding and knowledge. God has knowledge we do not possess. There was pride and ingratitude in the heart of Abu Talib which was completely unacceptable in the eyes of God. This pride and ingratitude to God became manifest when Abu Talib made the choice to stick to the religion of his forefathers.

It's shocking to think that a man who was so close to the Prophet (saws) as his uncle, a man who could clearly see that his nephew (saws) was speaking the truth, could live all his life and never once testify to that truth, but instead, right up till the day he died, persist in his disbelief and persist in rejecting His Creator, Sustainer and Protector!

People make choices and they are held responsible for the choices they make. A person is what he is because of the choices he makes.

If you are Christian, it is not because anyone forced you to be one. You made the choice to be Christian, that's why you are one. Similarly, if you are Muslim, it is because you made the choice to be Muslim. God doesn't force anyone to believe or disbelieve. But He certainly holds people to account for what they believe, do and say.

God isn't unjust. People are unjust to themselves when they choose to reject their Creator. All people who are brought into this world are tested. If they make the wrong choices, would you say that God shouldn't have created them at all? And even if people make the wrong choices or reject God's message now, it isn't anything final. People can still change. People can still repent and turn to their Creator.

Therefore, how can we say that God shouldn't have created non-Muslims? Right now a person may be non-Muslim. But perhaps in the future he might become Muslim. And vice versa. It's what you die on that will determine your fate in the Hereafter. And nobody has knowledge of who will succeed and who will not, except God. It is one of the reasons why we Muslims fear God.

And brother Younes is right in saying that He cannot be questioned for what He does. It is we who will be questioned and of this, there is no doubt.

Edited by UmmSuleiman

Salam, UmmSulaiman. In context of your explanation, every muslim is obligated to make dakwah ( calling others to Islam ), . My question is the manner how it is to be done. There are organized movements that move around the world spreading dakwa. For years, I harbor the desire to join them. Rightly or wrongly, I don't want to associate myself just yet for reasons that are in conflict with my desire. There several reasons that are holding me back. I have a down syndrome daughter. She is partially deaf and mute. She would fell ill if I were away too long, even for a week. Now,tell me if it is compulsory for me to join the dakwa movement. Jazakallah khairan.

Salam, UmmSulaiman. In context of your explanation, every muslim is obligated to make dakwah ( calling others to Islam ), . My question is the manner how it is to be done. There are organized movements that move around the world spreading dakwa. For years, I harbor the desire to join them. Rightly or wrongly, I don't want to associate myself just yet for reasons that are in conflict with my desire. There several reasons that are holding me back. I have a down syndrome daughter. She is partially deaf and mute. She would fell ill if I were away too long, even for a week. Now,tell me if it is compulsory for me to join the dakwa movement. Jazakallah khairan.

I'm sure there are brothers and sisters here on this forum who can advice you on this matter better than I can. Perhaps this issue can be dealt with in another thread?

There is no place in the Bible where all these lines come together to explain who our true God is.

Here's a place:

“I am the first and I am the last (point 2); apart from me there is no God (point 1). Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it (point 4)... Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one (point 1).†Isaiah 44:6-8

The concept of Jesus being the only begotten son of God came a while after his death, resurrection and ascension and was a minority view and grew steadily until Nicene Council made it official in 325 AD, though there were still those who did not believe it, and also the Gospel of John does not say that Jesus is the only begotten son, though this is how it is translated.

There are many other verses and passages, and would suggest you read Isaiah. Some Muslims such as yourself White Warrior like to comment on the Bible as if you are experts when you are not, even if you were once a Trinity-believing, Bible-reading Christian.

"He cannot be questioned" is not a good enough answer for me.

Still, among the disbelievers there are people who God will guide to Islam and thereby they will enter Paradise. And among believers, there are those who God will misguide and they will end up in Hell.

People are unjust to themselves when they choose to reject their Creator. All people who are brought into this world are tested. If they make the wrong choices, would you say that God shouldn't have created them at all? And even if people make the wrong choices or reject God's message now, it isn't anything final. People can still change. People can still repent and turn to their Creator.

UmmSuleiman, why does He misguide them and then punish them when He willed it? This does NOT sound fair. They reject Him because He wills/misguides them according to you, and then punishes them. They can repent if He wills, but if He misguides them or wills that they do not repent, He will punish them according to you.

Peace.

"He cannot be questioned" is not a good enough answer for me.

That is the real and ultimate answer. When God creates/does/decides something, then that's how it is going to be.

UmmSuleiman, why does He misguide them and then punish them when He willed it? This does NOT sound fair. They reject Him because He wills/misguides them according to you, and then punishes them. They can repent if He wills, but if He misguides them or wills that they do not repent, He will punish them according to you.

Basically, you are saying that since God didn't guide them, He is at fault, right? This what the disbelievers of old also used to say.

Those who give partners (to Allah) will say: "If Allah had wished, we should not have given partners to Him nor would our fathers; nor should we have had any taboos." So did their ancestors argue falsely, until they tasted of Our wrath. Say: "Have ye any (certain) knowledge? If so, produce it before us. Ye follow nothing but conjecture: ye do nothing but lie." Say: "With Allah is the argument that reaches home: if it had been His will, He could indeed have guided you all." (6:148-149)

If it had been thy Lord's will, they would all have believed,- all who are on earth! Wilt thou then compel mankind, against their will, to believe? (10:99)

Like God says, He could guide everybody to the truth even against their own will, i.e. compel them. However, that is not His will. His will is that everybody has free will. So it is wrong to say they reject because He wills/misguides them as if implying that God is at fault.

To give you an example from the Bible. It says that God heardened Pharaoh's heart so he didn't let the children of Isael go. Does this mean that God was at fault here? Does this mean that Pharaoh was innocent?

Peace.

And upon you.