Islamic Forum
RAHIMI

Egypt Is Free!

The Caliph can be elected and still be a Caliph. But has he to go back to the electorate every so often to keep the post?

No. Unless the Caliph stops ruling with Shariah or leaves Islam or goes against Islam etc , etc we don't make him leave.

PropellerAds
Is it a crime to sell a copy of a song without paying the writer of the song for that?

Some of the questions you are asking are far more political than I have knowledge of. I haven't studied Islamic government, so I wouldn't know.

But as for this particular question, who is the owner of the good? Is it public domain or is it copyrighted? Does the owner lose on the profit that his goods have produced? While "song" and "writer" are not part of the Qur'an, the economy is an extensive subject in which scholars have written books about. In them, you would find the answer to your question, even if not directly.

Salam.

Copywight/patent is a new-ish concept.

The degree and duration of copywight and paitent is allways going to be a political question. You need some sort of government to decied the law on such details. There will allways be scholars with different opinions.

You cannot run everything in the world just using the Quoran. I wish it was possible to do so, it would make life a lot easier but sadly the world is a lot more complex than 1 book can be the law for.

Are you sure you want your leader to have no reason to look after his people?

How about a system where the Caliph has an "advisory" set of elected polititians who he had better listen to or there will be a new Caliph? That is the situation in Britian, more or less. Theoretically the only thing the Queen cannot do politically without parliament is to collect taxes. Actually the power is in the hands of the politians because they are elected.

Being recently elected gives you lots more power.

OK I will try to refraise the question;

If the choice is not what you would wish in the ideal case(Sharia law for you) would you consider democracy with freedom to live your own life as you wish better or worse than dictatorship?

Also why is Islam incompatable with democratic goverance? The law is not changed on election night it's just the government who run the place and write new laws.

Tim, I am not a Muslim and I think a secular republic run by democracy is the best form of government. I am just explaining to you that your question doesn't make sense when you know a little more about Islam.

Islam has it's own preset legal system which essentially can (and has in the past) be the laws for a society. In some ways the Koran is like a law book. You ask if a Muslim would want an Islamic democracy, but you fail to understand that Islam is it's own system--and Islam is not a democracy. That's no in the rule book. So, just by the fact that a country is a democracy, it is not truly Islamic.

Add to that that many Muslims believe it is their religious duty to help create an Islamic state, you can see that Islam and any system which wasn't Islamic would come into conflict.

And now your question: democracy vs. dictatorship.

There are places where democracy won't work--where it will lead to bloodshed, corruption and chaos. In those situations a strong government seems like the only option.

So dictatorship is the prefered system then. Sad that because it will allways mean that there will be extreem repression and corruption.

Democracy is not in the Christian Bible either.

Since there is a necessity for a government in addition to the law in the Quoran how about the idea that there could be a democratically controled government alongside the basic framework of Sharia law? Perhaps overseen by a hereditory Emir or whatever?

So dictatorship is the prefered system then. Sad that because it will allways mean that there will be extreem repression and corruption.

The system which works is the preferred system. Instant democracy can get thousands of people killed. It takes time for a society to adapt and making that process happen is usually out of the hands of a single generation of men. I agree democracy is good in the West, but look at the cost to Iraq for a pseudo-democracy? Do you really care that you could vote when you watched your daughter die, had your home burned, and were forced to flee the country?

Democracy is not in the Christian Bible either.

The Bible and the Koran are very different animals. The Bible doesn't have an abundance of rules which actually make sense. You need to understand that the Koran is like a law book. The Bible isn't.

Since there is a necessity for a government in addition to the law in the Quoran how about the idea that there could be a democratically controled government alongside the basic framework of Sharia law?

But a Muslim will disagree with that statement. There is no need for a government of man when you have the Koran. Maybe you could find the leeway for your thinking in the hadiths or whatever (I really don't know much about Islam) but it's been shown again and again that states which adopt an Islamic system do not tend to be democratic, and do not respect Democratic traditions.

Perhaps overseen by a hereditory Emir or whatever?

An unelected Emir heads the Sharia law system, which can overrule any law from the democratic system that operates alongside it? The name of the country is Iran.

Copywight/patent is a new-ish concept.

Space exploration is a new-ish concept, but that doesn't mean murder in space wouldn't qualify as murder.

You're nitpicking too much. Copyright/patent is a way of legally claiming ownership of a good/concept. Islam deals with those who take something from an owner without his consent.

It's called stealing, and I'm sure even cavemen understood that much.

You cannot run everything in the world just using the Quoran.

On what grounds? Because Mr. Tim said so? You're not the least bit qualified to reach such a conclusion. If you're here to learn about Islam, feel free. But don't preach to us about how our religion is insufficient when you're neither an expert on Shari'ah, nor an economist.

Salam.

If I post an image of the crab nebulae taken by the hubble space telescope on this site am I stealing?

Is the image owned by NASA because it was taken by their telescople?

Is the image public because it is just a photo of the sky?

Is this web site guilty of theft because it is showing the photo?

How long should the copyright apply for?

I do not konw the answers to these questions in UK law. How does Islamic law apply to this situation?

I will be extreemly impressed if law written 1400 years ago can answer this clearly.

Greetings to all!

Egypt may be "free", but what about Libya? I'm a long ways from there, but according to the media it is quite a mess. One would think that this forum would just inundated with posts. How much bigger of a political event can there be, especially considering the extent of the uprisings?

There is talk of enforcing a no fly zone. Is all this a some how a non-issue or are folks just uncomfortable talking about it for some reason?

They don't like to talk about it because it is all about the people wanting democracy.

The action of rebeling against a leader is bad in Islamic terms.

Mohamed may well of done this himself but when he was on top he obviously wanted no more of that.

Christianity has a similar idea of the divine right of Kings to rule.

I will be extreemly impressed if law written 1400 years ago can answer this clearly.

There are general guidelines with which more specific laws can be formed. We've already mentioned this.

The action of rebeling against a leader is bad in Islamic terms.

It's not always bad. It's not always good. It depends on a lot of things.

Mohamed may well of done this himself but when he was on top he obviously wanted no more of that.

What do you mean by this? Not sure if I understand your wording.

Salam.

Greetings to all!

Egypt may be "free", but what about Libya? I'm a long ways from there, but according to the media it is quite a mess. One would think that this forum would just inundated with posts. How much bigger of a political event can there be, especially considering the extent of the uprisings?

There is talk of enforcing a no fly zone. Is all this a some how a non-issue or are folks just uncomfortable talking about it for some reason?

Gill, the answer to that is, most Muslims are either asleep or they are too busy with their worldly matters that they could not care less about their own brothers and sisters being oppressed and murdered. Notice how silent the Muslims nations are on the issue? Heck, where I come from, they even blocked the march by peaceful demonstrators to the Libyan embassy..that's an example of how far detached these so called 'Islamic nations' leadership from Islamic values..

So...........

You have to be a Palestinian to get the show of outrage? Or you need a Western target of outrage?

I see your point, but don't really understand.

So...........

You have to be a Palestinian to get the show of outrage? Or you need a Western target of outrage?

I see your point, but don't really understand.

My point is, Muslims of today as so far away from the true teaching of Islam, hence the mess we are in..

Read this thread for a starter: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=734893&pid=1232601&st=0entry1232601"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic...p;#entry1232601[/url]

Edited by RAHIMI

My point is, Muslims of today as so far away from the true teaching of Islam, hence the mess we are in..

Read this thread for a starter: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=734893&pid=1232601&st=0entry1232601"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic...p;#entry1232601[/url]

OK, I get it, the old "Not good Muslims" thing. I am not going to argue with that, but the near silence on this board seems to require more a more rigorous analysis. I think Tom is onto something but I would have preferred to hear it from the horse's mouth.

I'm sure it is part a cultural thing, but for a Westerner to see a flood of angry posts coming in over a cartoon, and zilch over revolutions sweeping over the Islamic world, it does seem to make immediate sense.

I guess if we saw a bunch of Caliphate signs being carried by the protesters it would get some attention. From this far away, it appears that the folks on the ground are concerned more about secular issues. They may even trend towards democracy. We all know that democracy, being Western, is by definition bad.

SALAM

if you are happy with egypt is free now i have nothing to comment because i see what kind of person you are.