Islamic Forum
The Shrew

Salvation

Ok I am still working on grasping Islams notion of salvation. Now Jesus said in the Bible in John 14:6 [6] Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me.

(Bible quote from Douay-Rheims).

So Jesus in saying that one can not Get to God (heaven) except by Him. How does this play into Islams idea of salvation or role. The long and short of it is this. What does this verse mean in Islam though it does not come from the Quran.

PropellerAds

Hi Workingman;

I would say Jesus was the way; but not the only way. And to his followers he showed them the light through the guidance & miracles Performed through him by God and if they followed him they would find the way to eternal life..which is heaven.

So Jesus in saying that one can not Get to God (heaven) except by Him. How does this play into Islams idea of salvation or role. The long and short of it is this. What does this verse mean in Islam though it does not come from the Quran.

I would say that the nation of the day must 'go through' with the prophet of the day. The Jews during the time of Jesus pbuh must follow Jesus pbuh as the nation of today must follow Muhammad pbuh..This is clear from the Quran and Hadiths.

Allah Knows best.

Edited by RAHIMI

hi

i watched a youtube video about this subject. apparently, the statement which Jesus pbuh was taken out of context from the bible. The context was chapter 14 verse number 1 from Gospel of John,

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

At his time, Jesus pbuh was the way the truth and the light: meaning an example for others to follow to reach heaven

Moses was the way, the truth and the light at his time-an example of how to live to reach heaven and earn God's good pleasure

and Prophet Muhammed during his time was the way, the truth and the light.

it means if you follow me(Jesus), as an example of how to live, you will reach God. in the context above He did not say MY house has many mansions he Says my FATHER's HOUSE.

For a more in detailed approach to this topic i suggest you seach on youtube for "Dr. Zakir Naik jesus said i am the way the truth.." you will find the video. i can't figure out how to post videos here yet

But its well worth the search. Dr. Zakir Naik is amazing, with a phenomenal memory. He has memorized both the quran and the bible mashallah.

Thank you mrhyder, RAHIMI, and DesertRose for the insights you have given to me on this so far. I will search for the videos on You tube.

Can salvation in Islam be explained to me? I know salvation is not assured. How is the salvation passed on from God as it is a gift from God?

According to christians Jesus died for the sake of Human beings. he was their salvation because he died for them. And through Acceptance of Jesus as lord god we can attain salvation.

this is what i got out of it

In Islam we do not believe in original sin. People are born sinless, with a clean slate. they are assigned two angels recording their deeds when they reach puberty (when they are fully aware, and responsible). all good deeds are recorded and multiplied. all sin is marked as is. the key is to do good deeds. If you want forgiveness for bad ones pray to Allah or God directly. No need for intermediaries, priests, confessions. Just you and your Lord. And He does listen. Be sincere in this Life, Believe In One God, Pray for Forgiveness Do good deeds...these are the key to..salvation. On the Day of Judgement everything you do will be accounted for...and if good deeds outweigh the bad ones you enter Paradise.

Thank you mrhyder, RAHIMI, and DesertRose for the insights you have given to me on this so far. I will search for the videos on You tube.

Can salvation in Islam be explained to me? I know salvation is not assured. How is the salvation passed on from God as it is a gift from God?

Sure, please spend about 10 minutes or so to listen to Sh. Estes talking about salvation in Islam and why Islam is the ONLY way to salvation..This is a tall claim, and the Sh. explains it below, be sure to watch it..

part 2:

Edited by RAHIMI

Salvation in Islam is this --> Worship ONLY the Creator and NOT His creation. Then, follow the way of the prophets. Since Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the last prophet, it is him that we follow. If you are born during Jesus time, then it is Jesus that you need to follow, same thing applies if you are born during the time of Moses, Abraham, etc.

In short, the most important thing for salvation is WORSHIP THE CREATOR AND NOT HIS CREATION, if you commit sins less than that, then know that Allah, the Creator, is All Forgiving, Most Merciful.

The Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings of God be upon him, once told his Companions, may God be pleased with them that nobody will enter Paradise based on their good deeds alone. Then they ask him, "Not even you, Messenger of God?". He replied, "No, not even unless God wraps me in His Mercy and Grace". So I would say that everybody who enters Paradise and is saved from Hell is saved by the Mercy and Grace of God. However, to be eligible to recieve this Mercy and Grace you must believe in "there is no deity except God and Muhammad is His Messenger" and everything that this phrase entails such as belief in the Qur'an, Messengers like Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Noah, peace be upon them, Angels, peace be upon them, the Last Day etc. You can't get in Paradise without believing in God's Messengers, peace be upon them.

Sure, please spend about 10 minutes or so to listen to Sh. Estes talking about salvation in Islam and why Islam is the ONLY way to salvation..This is a tall claim, and the Sh. explains it below, be sure to watch it..

part 2:

Thank you for the clips with the explanations. They were very enlightening. They honestly made me wish I could have been in attendance at that lecture. It has given me alot to think about.

Linus and Younes,

I thank you bolth for your explanations on salvation in Islam. I much apriciate it. It has given me more food for thought.

I got to say I watched about every Yusef Estes lastnight. I find this man very interesting and compelling. He is quite articulate (sp?). I would like to see him in person some day.

Still got to watch Dr. Zakir Naik. Maybe tonight after the kids are in bed.

I got to say I watched about every Yusef Estes lastnight. I find this man very interesting and compelling. He is quite articulate (sp?). I would like to see him in person some day.

I have to agree, he runs a few websites and if you search enough, there is one where you can actually send questions etc directly to him, I can't remember the site & will post it here if I come across it again IA...Sh. Estes comes from a Christian background ( a minister or something) and knows the Bible very well.