Islamic Forum
AgnosticAtheist

Do You Muslims Really Believe This?

Here's a small list of things that Muslims believe in/practice:

Talking snakes, goat riding, animal sacrifice, male genital mutilation (circumcision,) flying buraq, jibreel the king kong speed post guy, prophets living inside whales, splitting the moon and then reattaching it, jinns that eat feces, stoning to death of Iblees that never dies, and I could go on...

How can anyone with a brain believe these things happened or were inspired by god?

PropellerAds
How can anyone with a brain believe these things happened or were inspired by god?

I dont have the details on each of the things you asked but basically you are asking how can anyone believe things that seem so made up and far from reality? Because anyone with a brain will ask themselves who made their brain. Surely if Allah can create us he can create anything and make anything possible. But like it says in the quran there are people who cannot understand or see the truth even though it is right in front of them

And surely, We have created many of the jinn and mankind for Hell. They have hearts wherewith they understand not, and they have eyes wherewith they see not, and they have ears wherewith they hear not (the truth). They are like cattle, nay even more astray; those! They are the heedless ones. (7:179)

And if you call them to guidance, they hear not and you will see them looking at you, yet they see not. (7.198)

Just because it doesn't seem possible doesn't mean it is not possible.

I dont have the details on each of the things you asked but basically you are asking how can anyone believe things that seem so made up and far from reality? Because anyone with a brain will ask themselves who made their brain. Surely if Allah can create us he can create anything and make anything possible. But like it says in the quran there are people who cannot understand or see the truth even though it is right in front of them

Except those things are not the truth and there is no evidence that they occurred. Please provide some evidence that the things I mentioned actually occurred and I will rethink my stance.

That's awesome; were you able to complete it; it can be hard to understand at times. Muslims as you already know see the Quran as guidance from God; some of the rituals that you have refrenced are from the prophetic traditions such as symbolic stoning of Satan or cicumcision. There was a prophet swallowed by the whale and he was spit out; after he prayed from the belly of the whale; he didn't live in the whale as you say. I don't know what you mean by jibreel the king kong speed post guy. Yes Muslims believe in Splitting of the moon; a creature named buraq and angel named Jibrael. These are among some of creatures made by Allah; some are mentioned in Quran and some in Hadith. There aren't simple answers and certainly there's some faith required.

Are there benefits from circumcision?

There are several:

1 Many older men, who have bladder or prostate gland problems, also develop difficulties with their foreskins due to their surgeon's handling, cleaning, and using instruments. Some of these patients will need circumcising. Afterwards it is often astonishing to find some who have never ever seen their glans (knob) exposed before!

2 Some older men develop cancer of the penis - about 1 in 1000 - fairly rare, but tragic if you or your son are in that small statistic. Infant circumcision gives almost 100% protection, and young adult circumcision also gives a large degree of protection.

3 Cancer of the cervix in women is due to the Human Papilloma Virus. It thrives under and on the foreskin from where it can be transmitted during intercourse. An article in the British Medical Journal in April 2002 suggested that at least 20% of cancer of the cervix would be avoided if all men were circumcised. Surely that alone makes it worth doing?

4 Protection against HIV and AIDS. Another British Medical Journal article in May 2000 suggested that circumcised men are 8 times less likely to contract the HIV virus. (It is very important here to say that the risk is still far too high and that condoms and safe sex must be used - this applies also to preventing cancer of the cervix in women who have several partners.)

A BBC television programme in November 2000 showed two Ugandan tribes across the valley from one another. One practised circumcision and had very little AIDS, whereas, it was common in the other tribe, who then also started circumcising. This programme showed how the infection thrived in the lining of the foreskin, making it much easier to pass on.

5 As with HIV, so some protection exists against other sexually transmitted infections. Accordingly, if a condom splits or comes off, there is some protection for the couple. However, the only safe sex is to stick to one partner or abstain.

6 Lots of men, and their partners, prefer the appearance of their penis after circumcision, It is odour-free, it feels cleaner, and they enjoy better sex. Awareness of a good body image is a very important factor in building self confidence.

7 Balanitis is an unpleasant, often recurring, inflammation of the glans. It is quite common and can be prevented by circumcision.

8 Urinary tract infections sometimes occur in babies and can be quite serious. Circumcision in infancy makes it 10 times less likely.

What about my son?

Dads - you are responsible for discussing these matters with your sons as soon as they reach an age when you can communicate with them. And, single mums - so are you, because nobody else will do so. There is no examination of the penis in school medicals.

Your teenage sons, especially the younger ones, will have almost total ignorance. They may secretly be having problems. Maybe they wish they had been circumcised for either body image or medical reasons. Help them to be informed and aware of their options. Don't cop out, there are leaflets available to help you.

You need to check your younger sons (age 5+) and teach them hygiene and be sure all is working properly. Try to cultivate a situation in which they will be comfortable to share any concerns they may have - like soreness. Remind them to pull back their foreskins whenever they pee as it helps to keep the foreskin clean. It also makes it easier to aim and assists them to avoid spraying the toilet - just as circumcision does.

What about infant circumcision?

You need to think about this calmly, because some people are getting angry about it in the USA, even using inflamatory words like 'genital mutilation'. Make sure you are fully informed because you as the parent have the responsibility to make decisions on behalf of your child - like the big decisions about vaccinations, knowing that for long term benefit to the child and others, the pain of the injection and often the fever which follows are worthwhile.

Having read this leaflet, you are in a better position to make decisions. Circumcision can become an emergency, or the foreskin may cause considerable problems, not least when sexual intercourse starts or in older age. Remember, it may be a taboo subject for most people - but it should not be so for you.

You may feel you could help your son avoid some of these problems once and for all by having him circumcised early in life (the best time in the healthy baby is 7-10 days old). Not only is it a simpler procedure, needing no stitches, but he will not remember the event. He will also grow up never knowing anything different. Boys circumcised later in life may find it a more embarrassing experience. For a while afterwards they will feel the sensitivity of the permanently exposed glans, but will gradually adapt to it. Thus, circumcision in babyhood can be a very sensible decision - especially for a single mum with a boy and no man around the house. If you do circumcise your son, you must explain as soon as he is old enough to understand, what happened and why it was done. This helps acceptance and avoids ignorance. (I used to think some of my friends were born with a very different penis from mine until I learned about circumcision at age 13.)

You might equally sensibly decide to wait and see, but do be ready to take action quickly if problems start to arise.

If you are thinking about infant circumcision, there are leaflets describing it in detail. You would need to discuss it with the midwife or doctor before birth to plan it. You may encounter opposition - there is currently an irrational anti-circumcision culture in the medical profession. Remember- it is your choice to do what you think best for your son in the long term. If you have any difficulty arranging circumcision on the NHS, the local Jewish circumciser, (môhel - pronounced 'moil') will often oblige you (as may a Muslim doctor). Some even offer to visit and do it in your home. You can contact the Gilgal Society for a list of circumcising doctors and môhels. The procedure takes only a few minutes.

From circinfo:

Revise emedicine !

My point is, there is no evidence that any of things I mentioned happened or exist. There is no evidence supporting any of the things you believe. Literally, none.

My point is, there is no evidence that any of things I mentioned happened or exist. There is no evidence supporting any of the things you believe. Literally, none.

Agnostic, you can have this argument a Christian, Muslim or Jew. Why not do it in person instead of going onto an Islamic forum to insult Islam.

I'm not a Muslim, but I just want to say you will never change your mind, and the Muslims won't change their minds, and 400 other people have already come here and said the same things you are saying.

You're right. But there are also plenty of things in your daily life which you can't prove to me because you don't have the evidence for it. For example, you could tell me that you tasted frog meat two years ago. Sure it's the truth, but since you don't have the evidence to prove it, then I would have to say, "Sorry bro. I don't believe you." You may not be able to prove it but that doesn't change the truth that you did eat frog meat two years ago. :sl:

Edited by White Warrior

You're right. But there are also plenty of things in your daily life which you can't prove to me because you don't have the evidence for it. For example, you could tell me that you tasted frog meat two years ago. Sure it's the truth, but since you don't have the evidence to prove it, then I would have to say, "Sorry bro. I don't believe you." You may not be able to prove it but that doesn't change the truth that you did eat frog meat two years ago. :sl:

Your comparison doesn't work, because there is evidence that frogs exist and it's possible to eat one. So, there is evidence. That might not be proof, but it is evidence. There is no evidence whatsoever for your beliefs.

Hi,

I believe all of it. =)

1400 years ago when the Qur'an was revealed and Allah said in the Qur'an that even the sun has its own orbit (and many other scientific facts stated in the Qur'an), many people wanted proof for all these strange things that they couldn't comprehend and now 1400+ years later we've discovered that the sun actually does have an orbit.

Now we can also wonder how can a person 1400+ years ago know so much, and only 30 to 40 years ago we discovered these as facts. So also, just like the people back then weren't able to comprehend this, you don't either.

Allah also said in the Qur'an He has given people many proofs right in front of their eyes but they still do not believe it and He also said that even if He were to give the proof right in front of your eyes today you would still not believe it.

Also, if we have to see everything in front of our eyes to believe it then we might as well consider all literature on history or historical facts false.

And last but certainly not least, saying we want proof for every little thing undermines the whole idea of faith which is belief in the unseen. We as Muslims, if a story is related to us in the Holy Qur'an, even if our mind cannot comprehend it, we believe it (Me, because no way a man 1400+ years ago who could not read or write can just happen to know so many facts about our universe which even til today not one scientist by himself can figure that out, only the One who is in control of the universe can know these facts and give us that knowledge). We can think day and night and try to comprehend everything in our universe but we can only think so far. The mind can only reach so far and that is the limit which Allah put on us.

If you want to look at Islam from the perspective of science then this website may give you some insight. ###### . harunyahya . com.

We can talk day and night about this but it all comes down to faith. If you do not believe in Allah (or maybe you do deep down inside, a possibility) then you are only going to speak to us from a perspective of disbelief. However, we Muslims have it inculcated in our heart therefore everything for us will be from the perspective of one who has faith.

"...He whom Allâh guides, is rightly guided; but he whom He sends astray, for him you will find no Walî (guiding friend) to lead him (to the right Path)."

Surah Al Kahf, Verse 17

Assalaamualaikum WRB.

Very true, Sister! It is very hard for some people to grasp the concept of faith / belief (especially as unwaivering as ours), and they, therefore, sometimes find our beliefs unfathomable.

"He is Allah the Creator, the Maker, the Fashioner; His are the most excellent names; whatever is in the heavens and the earth declares His glory; and He is the Mighty, the Wise." (Glorious Qur'an 59:24)

"Those who believe, and whose hearts find satisfaction in the remembrance of Allah: for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction." (Glorious Qur'an 13:28)

"The most beautiful names belong to Allah: so call on him by them." (Glorious Qur'an 7:180)

Wassalaam.

:sl:

I'm sorry that you've been brainwashed since birth to believe in such outlandish things. I'm thankful I was not raised in a cult.

Well I sorry too that you believe that "spheres rotating on their axis going around another spheres and all these spheres move around another sphere in complete precision and order so that you have season, nights and days etc "all by themselves.

Uh wait, you believe 'mother nature' is responsible for all that, who is this mother nature that Atheists talk about all the time? ..talk about outlandish, look in the mirror man...

Edited by RAHIMI

Talking snakes, goat riding, animal sacrifice, male genital mutilation (circumcision,) flying buraq, jibreel the king kong speed post guy, prophets living inside whales, splitting the moon and then reattaching it, jinns that eat feces, stoning to death of Iblees that never dies, and I could go on...

:sl: these are advanced topics for you.. lets start with the basics and when those are nailed down we can come back here :sl:..

there is no evidence that any of things I mentioned happened or exist. There is no evidence supporting any of the things you believe. Literally, none.

Actually there is.. and lots of it.. its your call if you choose not to believe it.

[at]agnosticatheist, may i ask, to whom are you thankful for not being raised in a cult? I'm thankful to God for being born and raised as a Muslim. I think you have a double-standard because you seem against brainwashing but at the same time you are trying to brainwash Muslims with your outlandish views. I wouldn't give anything in the world to trade places with you and vice versa, so to close this circular argument, you go your way and we'll go our way. =)

Simple , thats cause our brains are not limited to only what it can comprehend like Atheists who only believe what makes sense to them . And that to start with is total baloney :sl: .

There are so many things science cant and will never explain , but you mate will see it when your soul reaches your throat , and then it will be too late .

Well I sorry too that you believe that "spheres rotating on their axis going around another spheres and all these spheres move around another sphere in complete precision and order so that you have season, nights and days etc "all by themselves.

There is not complete precision. The orbit of any planet varies from year to year.

Spheres rotate on their axis. Just like a foot ball rotates on it's axis if you spin it.

The seasons are a direct result of the imprecision of the rotation of the earth. The axis of spin of the earth is out of line with the orbit of the earth around the sun.

We can see (with telescopes) other star systems forming in similar patterns to the solar system.

at timtheplumber, precision or no precision, you should not believe this baloney because you have never gotten the proof in front of your eyes, who knows if even what you've read about it is true or not, you did not go to the earth, sun, or moon to see it for yourself, so consider anything anyone tells you baloney. =)

There is not complete precision. The orbit of any planet varies from year to year.

Spheres rotate on their axis. Just like a foot ball rotates on it's axis if you spin it.

The seasons are a direct result of the imprecision of the rotation of the earth. The axis of spin of the earth is out of line with the orbit of the earth around the sun.

We can see (with telescopes) other star systems forming in similar patterns to the solar system.

Tim, being able to explain how something works or formed does not in anyway disprove the existence of the creator. Get hold of a publication called 'star almanac'. There are hundreds of starts listed in there with parameters that enable astronomists and surveyors to precisely compute the position of each star for the entire year .

Just think about what you said here :Spheres rotate on their axis. Just like a foot ball rotates on it's axis if you spin it. As you will never accept that a football would never rotate by itself unless someone spins it, why should planet earth be any different?

As you say we can observe and understand the process by which stars form.

As a gas/dust cloud colapses under it's own gravity it does not lose any of it's existing momentum.

As a bit of gas falls into the forming star any momentum due to it not traveling directly towards the star is maintained. The net result is that the star will inevitable spin.

The correct question is why would you expect it not to? The moon is always showing the same face to earth. That is strange. But explained by the action of tidal forces whch have slowed both the spin of the earth and moon.