Islamic Forum
Mrs. J

Do Muslims Love Non-muslims?

... Okay Sister Orthodox, I suppose you will not agree with me, and I will not agree with you.

In the Quran, again it says this:

"Let not the believers Take for friends or helpers unbelievers rather than believers: if any do that, in nothing will there be help from Allah. except by way of precaution, that ye may Guard yourselves from them. But Allah cautions you (To remember) Himself; for the final goal is to Allah."

Your point is valid, that EXCESSIVE friendship with Unbelievers may cause us to disbelieve. And Allah swt is warning us against this EXCESSIVE friendship. When he mentions "except by way of precaution", it means that we should be wary not to fall so much in friendship that it strays us into disbelief as well. Again, if Allah swt wanted us to completley shun them, he would not have included "except by way of precaution", nor would he include the verse which I quoted in my above post which Allah swt is DIRECTLY saying that all the times he tells us not to take Non-Muslims as friends, he was talking about those who drive us out. (Though it is important to note that friendship with Muslims should be stronger that the friendship with Non-Muslims, as Allah swt mentions that your true friends are Allah, the Prophet, & the Believers, because we cannot go astray in this company.)

"Your (real) friends are (no less than) Allah, His Messenger, and the (fellowship of) believers,- those who establish regular prayers and regular charity, and they bow down humbly (in worship)."

And again, this verse:

"Allah only forbids you, with regard to those who fight you for [your] Faith,

and drive you out of your homes, and support [others] in driving you out, from

turning to them [for friendship and protection]. It is such as turn to them [in

these circumstances], that do wrong."

I really think that that verse makes it extremely clear as to which Non-Muslims Allah swt is preventing us from taking as friends.

Also, it is clear that the Non-Muslims during the Prophet's time were very different from todays Non-Muslims. Most of the time, they were against Islam, which explains the Prophet's hadiths. If I thought Islam was prohibiting Muslims from keeping all Non-Muslims as friends, I probably would agree with you. But there are just some parts in the QURAN which we cannot ignore. It is important that we look at ALL the parts of the Quran. And when you have something in the Quran, it does not matter how many Hadiths you have as A.) Hadiths will always have a degree of uncertainty due to human error and B.) Some of them may have only been for the Prophet's time. The Quran is the eternal message, and is meant for all times.

The verse your scholar quoted also mentions those Unbelievers as driving Muslims out. As the above verse says, it is clear that Non-Muslims who drive us out, should definitely be avoided.

And scholars are not perfect. They are human, they have their own biases. However, if you do like to follow scholars, I would advise you not to rely on only one.

And please, I respect your opinions. All I ask is you respect mine. Please do not taunt me by calling me low. I think that if you are firm in your belief, you should find better ways to defend it. Both you, and I are Muslims who are trying to seek the truth, so let's have some mutual respect :sl:

And maybe what we're arguing isn't very different. Both you and I agree that friendship with Muslims is allowed to and should be stronger than that of Non-Muslims. I'm just saying that it isn't fair to say that no Non-Muslim can be taken as a friend, in light of the Quran. And also, the Prophet Muhammad pbuh had relatives that when they died in disbelief, he did indeed mourn for them, and loved them. (When his Uncle died in disbelief, he passionately prayed to Allah swt for his Afterlife, until Allah forbade him to pray for Unbelievers after they die in disbelief. Allah swt did not ever forbid him to love his Uncle though.)

Allah swt knows best, and may he guide us all to truth. Yah Allah, if any Gawaher member makes a mistake concerning Islam, please forgive us.

PropellerAds

And you also mentioned "proper tafseer". To my knowledge, there are many different tafseers by many different scholars, each with their own viewpoint. Who are we to know what "proper tafseer" is? So I guess in situations like this, we should all pray to Allah swt to guide us to whatever the truth may be, as only he is the true knower of the meaning of the Quran.

Are you trying to speak for all Muslims? If you are, please stop. You don't have the voice of 1.5 billion Muslims on this Earth. You are saying this in a closed minded view.

Assalaamu alaykum.

You're right. It is a closed minded view.

A true Muslim is open-minded and has compassion for others and this includes non-Muslims.

Assalaamu alaykum.

A true Muslim is open-minded and has compassion for others and this includes non-Muslims.

:sl:

Compassion isn't love. With everything what's alive (even a sinner) we can earn a reward from Allah.

“O you believe..,Allah has made you love the Faith, and made it so beautiful in your hearts, and has made you hate disbelief, immorality and rebelliousness. These are the righteous. This is grace and bounty, from Allah, as Allah is All-knowledgeable and All-Wise†(Surah Hujurat 49:6-8)

“When a man asked the prophet, may Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him, “O Messenger of Allah, when will the Day of Judgment be?â€, the Prophet (SAW) replied, “What have you prepared for it?†he said, “I have not prepared for it a great deal of prayer, fasting nor charity, but I love Allah and His Messenger intensely,†the Prophet(SAW) said, “You will be with those whom you love.†(Al-Bukhari)

No soul has authority over another. Guidance and straying is a matter between God and you.

aakwrAllahwbHu

I don't think it's an obligation to not love every non-Muslim. At the same time, I don't believe it's an obligation to love every non-Muslim. Nor is it an obligation to love everybody who calls himself a Muslim. And Allah Alone knows the truth of all things.

Alhamdu lillahi Rabbil aalameen.

la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Al-‘Atheemu Al-Haleemu, la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbul ‘arshil-‘atheemi,

la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbus-samaawaati wa Rabbul-ardhi wa Rabbul-‘arshil-kareemi

there is no god except Allah, the All-Mighty, the Forbearing; there is no god except Allah, the Lord of the Mighty Throne;

there is no god except Allah, Lord of the heavens, Lord of the earth and Lord of the noble Throne.

I don't think it's an obligation to not love every non-Muslim. At the same time, I don't believe it's an obligation to love every non-Muslim. Nor is it an obligation to love everybody who calls himself a Muslim. And Allah Alone knows the truth of all things.

let me get it clear - you said - you dont think its an obligation to NOT LOVE EVERY NON MUSLIM neither its an obligation to LOVE THEM nor its an obligaton to LOVE MUSLIMS. i think i must concur with that. no obligation to love but respect yes. :sl:

No soul has authority over another. Guidance and straying is a matter between God and you.

aakwrAllahwbHu

let me get it clear - you said - you dont think its an obligation to NOT LOVE EVERY NON MUSLIM neither its an obligation to LOVE THEM nor its an obligaton to LOVE MUSLIMS. i think i must concur with that.

Let me clarify myself:

There are some Muslims who have no compassion for the non-Muslims killed on 9/11. There are also some non-Muslims who show no compassion for Muslims killed in Afghanistan and Iraq. Generally, I love neither of these.

There are non-Muslims who feel grief for Muslims killed in Afghanistan and Iraq. There are Muslims who feel grief for non-Muslims killed on 9/11. I love both of these.

no obligation to love but respect yes.

I cannot have respect for Muslims or non-Muslims who do not hold life to be sacred.

Take care.

Alhamdu lillahi Rabbil aalameen.

la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Al-‘Atheemu Al-Haleemu, la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbul ‘arshil-‘atheemi,

la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbus-samaawaati wa Rabbul-ardhi wa Rabbul-‘arshil-kareemi

there is no god except Allah, the All-Mighty, the Forbearing; there is no god except Allah, the Lord of the Mighty Throne;

there is no god except Allah, Lord of the heavens, Lord of the earth and Lord of the noble Throne.

Let me clarify myself:

There are some Muslims who have no compassion for the non-Muslims killed on 9/11. There are also some non-Muslims who show no compassion for Muslims killed in Afghanistan and Iraq. Generally, I love neither of these.

There are non-Muslims who feel grief for Muslims killed in Afghanistan and Iraq. There are Muslims who feel grief for non-Muslims killed on 9/11. I love both of these.

I cannot have respect for Muslims or non-Muslims who do not hold life to be sacred.

Take care.

again i must concur with you. the question - DO MUSLIMS LOVE NON MUSLIMS - is too wide. it gotta be chopped up to make it more realistic with the present state of the world. :sl:

Compassion isn't love. With everything what's alive (even a sinner) we can earn a reward from Allah.

Assalaamu alaykum.

Compassion isn't love. But it's more needed than love. One can't love everyone but one can have compassion for all.

Supposing a question was asked to Christians.....Do Christians love Muslims? How do you think they would answer this question?

I'm sure we'd get differing answers, wouldn't we?

Love is too strong a word to use. We reserve our love for specific people, not all. Hence, compassion is a better term to use than love.