Islamic Forum
kathleen01

Americans Hate Islam

Why do americans hate Islam so much? I donot even wear hijab because of a few things that have happened to me. I am not being general with my statement either, I see such hate and fear it starts to scare me. I cannot be who I want to be because of fear. Our Masjid was vandilize with spray paint telling us to 'go home' but I AM an american. This is my home. Even on tv states want to punish Shiarah law with 15 years in prison. I under stand this is america and american laws come first, but this is so extream. Its just sad!

Salaam

PropellerAds

why? i guess americans well most of them are narrow minded lot despite being super in most things. muslims generally are of no help in encouraging them to understand better. suicide bombers can kill any good intentions towards Islam. that much i can say. :sl:

It's a case of bigots are going to bigot. I got called a n***** lover when I was young because my best friend was black, but I wouldn't say that Americans hate black people. My earlier religion was ordered to he exterminated from the USA but I wouldn't say all Americans hate that religion. It is terrible to be on the receiving end of bigoted harassment because it feels much more visceral than a simple disagreement. There are plenty of people who support a persons right to worship, to reduce and eliminate prejudice and bigotry so that you and I and others can live free of those people.

in other words haters going to hate, but we will overcome.

muslims generally are of no help in encouraging them to understand better. suicide bombers can kill any good intentions towards Islam. that much i can say.

Well the second part is true in the objective sense, but its not the whole religion held a meeting and someone said, " Hey I have a good idea..." people can only be taken at the individual level or stigmatized as a holistic group.

:sl:

I think the area you live in has a lot to do with it. Georgia is known for having white supremacists but my area is pretty tolerant. I don't even recall getting a weird look after 9/11. If possible, I would suggest moving to a community with a bigger Muslim population.

suicide bombers can kill any good intentions towards Islam. that much i can say.

If a thousand Muslims gathered and held a peace rally, and the next day, a single suicide bomber blew up something and killed a thousand people, which event do you think would be more memorable? Meaning, which one would people take as a representative of the nature of Islam?

I think the knowledge of Islam was suddenly thrust upon the masses of Americans after 911 in a negative light. There was the shock of so many innocents being killed and many got their info on Islam from 'trusted' networks like fox or cnn and the Islamophobe officials. Very few people like to do their own research.

Also there’s the reason that many don’t care much, since hating Islam isn’t shown as an anti American thing; disliking or hating Muslims and Islam is preached as an acceptable thing at colleges, churches, synagogues etc.

The Muslim community living in the west definitely has their work cut out for them and has been forced in masses to a situation they really didn’t want to be in. We have to be patient, become mini-scholars of Islam and do our best to show the inquiring minds (who should be thanked, ‘cause they aren’t lazy sheep) that we aren’t ‘that’. Inshallah, some day it will pass; like it passed for the Jews, the Irish, the Blacks, the Japanese, the Hispanics etc. It’s a matter of time and many people are of forgiving nature; the Muslim community is growing, the awareness of Islam is growing; so we have things going for us; its a matter of time before it will be accepted as any other religion. We should also use this as a learning lesson so we do not get caught on the flip side; where we are accusing many for the crime of a few.

Salaam.

My opinion is that for an individual, the first priority is to survive - emotionally and physically.

Secondly if things are so bad, you'll have to be a closet muslim i.e. you practice Islam in your privacy.

Thirdly avoid activities where you'll have to perform haram things.

Fourth hope for the best. And at all times remember God.

It's a case of bigots are going to bigot. I got called a n***** lover when I was young because my best friend was black, but I wouldn't say that Americans hate black people. My earlier religion was ordered to he exterminated from the USA but I wouldn't say all Americans hate that religion. It is terrible to be on the receiving end of bigoted harassment because it feels much more visceral than a simple disagreement. There are plenty of people who support a persons right to worship, to reduce and eliminate prejudice and bigotry so that you and I and others can live free of those people.

in other words haters going to hate, but we will overcome.

how to overcome? :sl:

Well the second part is true in the objective sense, but its not the whole religion held a meeting and someone said, " Hey I have a good idea..." people can only be taken at the individual level or stigmatized as a holistic group.

my view is - there are americans who are ignorant of muslims' way of life and they wanna continue as such since they think familiarity dont benefit them economically. and there are americans who are wary of Islam's capability to challenge their "culture" ie their freedom of expression, democracy, self proclaimed superiority in handling international issues etc. these are the ones who can be dangerous in the real sense of the word. they gonna become the judge and jury; they gonna take sides and take steps to annihilate. i suppose muslim americans gotta take the risk of being forceful in showing what they stand for. err that much i can say. :sl:

If a thousand Muslims gathered and held a peace rally, and the next day, a single suicide bomber blew up something and killed a thousand people, which event do you think would be more memorable? Meaning, which one would people take as a representative of the nature of Islam?

the latter of course. :sl:

how to overcome? :sl:

How to overcome prejudice? It's been done several times over.

the latter of course. :sl:

Which is the problem. A thousand Muslims should have a greater representation on Islam than 1 man, regardless of how evil that one man is. All of these so-called terrorists and extremists shown in the media are a very small minority among the Muslims. Heck, even if every single Arab Muslim was a terrorist, they would still be the minority.

Salam.

How to overcome prejudice? It's been done several times over.

how? i dont get you. :sl:

Which is the problem. A thousand Muslims should have a greater representation on Islam than 1 man, regardless of how evil that one man is. All of these so-called terrorists and extremists shown in the media are a very small minority among the Muslims. Heck, even if every single Arab Muslim was a terrorist, they would still be the minority.

Salam.

you're dead right. it looks like minority rules. they are the ones who gonna shape Islam not your holy book. and narrowminded or prejudice americans, not all of them, gonna swallow line hook sinker. so how to overcome such prejudice? perhaps suicide bombers gotta look at the bigger picture, that what they're doing is detrimental to Islam and muslim minority in foreign countries. :sl:

Assalaamualaikum WRB.

Why do americans hate Islam so much? I donot even wear hijab because of a few things that have happened to me. I am not being general with my statement either, I see such hate and fear it starts to scare me. I cannot be who I want to be because of fear. Our Masjid was vandilize with spray paint telling us to 'go home' but I AM an american. This is my home. Even on tv states want to punish Shiarah law with 15 years in prison. I under stand this is america and american laws come first, but this is so extream. Its just sad!

Kathleen, I hear you! And I completely understand. Muslims are being targeted everywhere, even if not as individuals (although here in Australia, this is happening, but isn't publicised), but as a religious group/community. It is indeed very sad that some people would stoop as low as what you have described.

This is the mentality of the western world, Sister. They either do not, or are not willing to, understand that, like them, Muslims are everywhere - in all countries, races etc. The worldwide population of Muslims is, Masha-Allah, tremendously huge, and we are spread out all over the world. The non-Muslims of the western world do not understand that, like them, where we live, we also call it home. This is especially true in cases similar to yours; where converted Muslims, whose origins are in western countries, are also made to feel that they now do not belong only because they are Muslims. Does it matter to them that you are a patriotic, law-abiding American citizen and have been all your life? No. This is how unreasonable and single-minded they are!

The purpose of these fear-mongers is only to generate and fuel fear and hate, and to some extent, they are succeeding. I have come across so many Muslim people (mostly younger Muslims) who are, if not afraid or disillusioned, but very nervous and closeted because of either the negative media attention or general discrimination/racism they encounter due to their religion. If this hate campaign continues to succeed in this way, I shudder to think how far they could go before causing real damage to us.

Here in Australia, not a week passes without some kind of negative feedback about Islam broadcasted from the national media, and even more shocking are the local polls, votes and forums. 10 years ago, I never would have guessed that so many fellow Australians could be so single-mindedly racist! With all the anti-Muslim 'societies' and Islamophobic groups that they are forming, these unreasonable, so-called 'patriotic Aussies' don't realise that they are, ultimately, hurting their own country (that they profess to love more than the 'rest of us') by encouraging the uprising that seems inevitable now.

The sheer number of Muslims in the world is formidable, don't you think? We are all part of one religion, all Muslim brothers and sisters who, together, are, if not completely devoted to our Deen, then at the very least, are doing all we can to be true to our Islam. Thousands of people convert and/or revert to Islam everyday, while even more people become interested in this wonderful religion. I think that it is because of these reasons that these anti-Islamists are feeling overwhelmed and challenged. Not to mention that people often fear what they cannot understand/comprehend. And it is in this area that we, as individuals, can make a difference.

Kathleen, Allah (SWT) has given you the opportunity to view life from 'both sides of the fence' (so to speak) - you can, so easily, share the story of how and why you chose to happily become a Muslim, especially with other people who are interested in Islam - if not to encourage them to follow in your steps (although this would bring you the greatest rewards from Allah (SWT)), then simply to show them that we are not as the media so negatively portrays us to be.

Self-preservation is one of the strongest human instincts, of course, and is an inherently basic part of us. But, I believe, our religion requires some degree of loyalty from us, even in the difficult times that we, as Muslims, face today. Even though I encounter discrimination, if not verbally, then certainly in the looks that I get from people, on a regular basis in my country, I will NOT consider taking off my Hijaab or becoming closeted. NEVER Insha-Allah! Because I know that, although, by becoming a closeted Muslim, my life will become much less complicated and people will look upon me a lot more favourably, I will lose the pleasure and favour of the One that matters most - Allah (SWT)! Allah expects us to EARN the rewards he is waiting to bestow upon us - let's do all we can to earn his pleasure! Can we do more for our Islam? Of course we can!

Never underestimate the power or immense reward for Daawaa (when one proclaims to be a Muslim - for example, Muslim women who wear a Burqa or a Hijaab). Wear your Hijaab, and be happy in the knowledge that Allah (SWT) may be smiling down at you at that very moment.

However, if you still fear for your safety, it may be wise to move to an area which has more Muslim residents, so that you may feel safer, as well as happier as a Muslim.

I hope everything works out well for you Insha-Allah!

Wassalaam.

:sl:

Prophet, peace be upon him, had the most difficult temptations.

We have no right to complain...

Path to the Paradise isn't easy.

Is it too hard to believe that maybe westerners have looked at Islam, saw what its about and just dont like it ? Not their cup of tea. Much like the way Muslims generally don't like the western way of life, westerners may not like the Muslim way of life. You can't please everyone.

Politically white people (as opposed to biologically white) hates Islam; wherever they live - USA, Australia, New Zealand, Europe.....it's almost inherent.

That's why Europeans were not so sorry when Sberenica residents were massacred.

Politically white people (as opposed to biologically white) hates Islam; wherever they live - USA, Australia, New Zealand, Europe.....it's almost inherent.

That's why Europeans were not so sorry when Sberenica residents were massacred.

Politically white people? All hate Islam? :sl:

how? i dont get you. :sl:

At various times Chinese, Irish, catholic, Mormons, blacks, Mexicans, athiests and now Muslims have been either discriminated against or people have had prejudices. historically these groups had it very hard. than the Chinese who were deported en mass , the Mormons who were ordered to be exterminated, blacks who had Jim Crow laws, Irish who were sent en mass to the Civil War and to build the railroads and signs put up saying no Irish here, the Catholics had a political party specifically designated to be anti Catholic the know nothing party on and on. While prejudices certainly still exists for those groups they are far less today.

Various methods where used, social awareness campaigns, marches, community involvement, media perspectives, etc to overcome peoples fear. Someday well get to the self evident truth that we are all human beings.

Forty percent of all U.S. households own at least one dog. A religion that has something against dogs, as Islam does is never going to do too well in the U.S. or west. Sounds trivial but don't underestimate peoples love for their dogs. And that's just one aspect.

I was listening to Hamza Yusuf (born Mark Hanson) the other night.

It's poeple like him that we should look for guidence as far as the American experience is concerned.

Ohterwise it could be a doggone case.

There is just a lot of things in Islam that go against the grain of western life and vise versa. square peg, round hole.

sometimes its quite astonishing to know americans hating Islam yet there are number of reverts,what does that mean ?

I think it means that, discounting most blacks that 'revert' to look cool, there are a fair amount of strange people out there that do it for the 'Hey, look at me' attention. Muslima19, what do you make of the muslims that consider the West the great satan, yet they move there anyway ? Are they hypocrites that sell themselves for material things ?