Islamic Forum
ParadiseLost

Woman Prophet?

Why is there no mention in the holy quran of a woman prophet? Is it not possible for a woman to be a prophet? Also I know not all the messengers of Allah are talked about in the quran but those that are, are men. I would like to know the answer it is something I never really thought about before and a person who isn't muslim asked me. Also some people say it is possible Maryam could have been a prophet but what is their basis for this because I am not sure about that.

Thanks in advance and provide references from quran/hadith to support answer I would appreciate it. :sl:

PropellerAds

In the Qur'an, you only have a limited number of Prophets listed, All from the lineage leading up to Abraham then split from Isaac and Ishmael. However, the Qur'an does say that to all peoples have Messengers been sent. This means that

1) Prophets/Messengers have been sent to places outside of the lands the Arabs knew of at the time

2) Their gender is not defined or limited

The Qur'an does not mention any female Messengers, Mary comes close being sent the Spirit and Signs, she was definitely a woman of truth and greatly blessed. However, the Qur'an doesn't say there were not any female Messengers and does not list all the Messengers sent to lands such as the Americas, India, China, etc. I say the possibility at least existed

Ok so there definitely isnt anything in quran or hadith that suggests a woman can not be a prophet?

Prophethood or rulership is not meant for women.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/20677/woman%20ruler"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/20677/woman%20ruler[/url]

:sl:

There are no female prophets mentioned because there have been none. The duties that prophets have are far too burdensome and time consuming for any woman to bear. I think the best way to approach the issue is to think of it logically.

1) The prophets of Allah were sent to communities that were patriarchal. These men would not accept a woman as their leader, nor would they trust the word of a woman.

2) Allah gave men superiority in strength and endurance. Most of these prophets were ridiculed, slandered, beaten, maimed and even killed. They suffered greatly at the hands of those they had been sent to warn and guide. Female prophets would have been considered far easier targets and they would be enslaved and raped.

3) A female prophet who bears children would not be able to divide her time between her family and the task of prophethood, which is a 24/7 job.

Thanks for the link Lost in Paradise. I don't agree with Redeem's views and I consider them to be slightly sexist. I understand that these societies were patriarchal - as were the israelites - but to totally deny that there ever were female prophets goes against known history, God's word and logic. I've discussed the female prophets of the Bible here:

you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/topic/738101-female-prophets/

Prophethood or rulership is not meant for women.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/20677/woman%20ruler"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/e...7/woman%20ruler[/url]

What about the Queen of Sheba, Bilquis?!? She ruled her people.

(Also, Pakistan had a female prime minister Benazir Bhutto, so most Muslims in Pakistan must have been happy with the concept of her leadership.)

Richard