Islamic Forum
SalihAbdullah

Armpit & Pubic Hair

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I have recently come to understand that Muslim men must shave their armpit hair. Is this true? If so, can anyone please give me more detailed information? Do we have to shave it completely off, or more of just keeping it trimmed? Also, pubic hair. Completely shaved or just neat and trimmed?

Jazakallah khair

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

The ten acts of Fitrah are mentioned in the following Hadith. Imam Muslim , Ahmad , al-Nasai and al-Tirmizi related that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: Ten are the acts according to Fitrah: clipping moustache, letting the beard grow, using the tooth-stick, snuffing water in the nose, cutting the nails, washing the finger joints, plucking the hair under the armpits, shaving the pubes and cleaning one's private parts with water . The narrator said: I have forgotten the tenth, but it may have been rinsing the mouth .

Allah knows best.

:sl:

Another Hadith is narrated from Abu Hurairah and it says: The Messenger of Allah: ‘Five things are part of the fitrah: removing the pubic hair, circumcision, trimming the moustache, plucking the armpit hairs, and trimming the nails.†(Reported by al-jamaa’ah )

4 of these things are probably for health or cleanliness reasons; hair traps sweat and germs, and so do long nails. Circumcision also has health benefits, but it is also a distinguishing factor between Muslim and non-Muslim men. As for keeping the moustache short, in another Hadith the prophet said: “Trim the moustache and let the beard grow; be different from the mushrikeen.â€

Assalamu alaikum,

So Muslim men should pluck/shave there armpit and pubic hair completely off?

Jazakallah khair for your responses sister. Sorry if I'm being repetitive, I'm just trying to understand a little better.

May Allah reward you for seeking a better understanding.

According to the scholars (as quoted on Islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)):

1) Shaving, plucking, waxing, or even laser removal of hair is applicable. According to other websites, it is permissible to keep the hair short by trimming.

2) The time limit should be 40 days, based on this Hadith:

Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who was the servant of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He set a time for us to trim our moustaches, cut our nails, pluck our armpit hair and shave our pubic hair; we were not to leave that for more than forty days.†Narrated by Imaam Muslim in al-Saheeh (258).

The one thing I cannot confirm is whether shaving the pubes and armpits is mustahab (recommended) or obligatory. Sunan Al-Fitrah are ten, according to other Hadiths, and there are those Sunnah acts that are recommended (such as using a siwak) but are not fard. I cannot say if pubic and armpit hair falls in this category also.

I think Redeem has answered it

4 of these things are probably for health or cleanliness reasons; hair traps sweat and germs, and so do long nails. Circumcision also has health benefits, but it is also a distinguishing factor between Muslim and non-Muslim men. As for keeping the moustache short, in another Hadith the prophet said: “Trim the moustache and let the beard grow; be different from the mushrikeen.”

I have said that Islam is not only religion but also way of life. Allah's rules will NEVER lead us to bad things. If not now,maybe the scientific reason will be revealed later.

Remember about the rules that forbid alcohol and pork. Formerly,every nonmuslim mocked us because we deprived from tasty things. Now it is known that alcohol and pork are BAD for health according to science. And remember too about fasting in Ramadhan. Nonmuslims often think how silly we are to not consume anything for half a day. Now science has proven that fasting is indeed healthy. There is also the rules not to have sex before marriage. Modern humans laugh at us for being so "moderate" but what free sex gives them?Diseases,unwanted babies,abortions,problems,etc. There are many more examples that show you how that "primitive" thinking will lead us to a much better life.

All the rules and common sense made by humans are not always true,but God's rules will be ALWAYS true. Because humans' knowledge is NOTHING compared to God's,Allah SWT.

Also,can you refrain from using offensive words? Because it will lead you nowhere but banned. It is not even convincing. We are trying to make a good discussion here,so either support us or leave us alone

Aoa

Why would any deity demand we stay away from alcohol or adultery? Why would any deity demand we sacrifice animals?

w/salaam

Edited by Raihanna

Padre I would advise you to respect Islam while you are here and dont call our practices 'rubbish'. Allah has a reason for everything he tells us to do whether we understand or not. Redeem clearly outlined several reasons why. It is obvious cleanliness is one reason. It is also an issue of discipline, to see who follows the things Allah tells us to do. You don't have to like it or agree with it but you also don't have to disrespect us by calling it rubbish.

• Like 1

Modern humans laugh at us for being so "moderate" but what free sex gives them?Diseases,unwanted babies,abortions,problems,etc.

Actually, most people who have free-sex believe that GUILT itself gives disease, unwanted babies, self inflicted pain, drug abuse and problems. This is being thaught by the western communities themselves. The people are teaching these things to eachother. Or you might actually say, the devil inspires them to these kind of knowledge, trough their imagination.

Not all people who have free sex actually experience guilt/shame/jeaulousy. The contrast is far bigger then we realize.

There are now marriages in the US where people are having sexual relationships openly outside of their marriage and then returning home to their family and kids and husband/wife at night. Without secrecy and without shame and without jeaulousy.

Sex is now becoming more and more of a past time for some people. The naughty industry is HUUUUGE!!! Circumcision for men is almost a given here.

For other people, in the western world, they are deliberately accumulating sexual energy to manifest material possesions such as money and cars.

I don't want to go too deep, but there are even some people who want to be consumed, because sex is not enough for them. They want to merge completely with their loved ones, so they eat eachother, because the disconnection and seperation between their bodies hurts more then the sensation of cannabalism, which feels pleasurable to them. Such as borderline patients who enjoy self inflicted pain. Or perhaps even sacrifice rituals with volunteers? Dunno... It's just what I've heared.

It kinda reminds me of ancient Egypt.

What I am trying to say is that you don't need a reason to believe in Allah, because if you do need a reason to believe in Allah then you are already an infidel. Your reason needs Allah, not the other way around.

The Cow 2:6 "Indeed, those who disbelieve - it is all the same for them whether you warn them or do not warn them - they will not believe."

Edited by Luckee

I have said that Islam is not only religion but also way of life. Allah's rules will NEVER lead us to bad things. If not now,maybe the scientific reason will be revealed later.

Remember about the rules that forbid alcohol and pork. Formerly,every nonmuslim mocked us because we deprived from tasty things. Now it is known that alcohol and pork are BAD for health according to science. And remember too about fasting in Ramadhan. Nonmuslims often think how silly we are to not consume anything for half a day. Now science has proven that fasting is indeed healthy. There is also the rules not to have sex before marriage. Modern humans laugh at us for being so "moderate" but what free sex gives them?Diseases,unwanted babies,abortions,problems,etc. There are many more examples that show you how that "primitive" thinking will lead us to a much better life.

All the rules and common sense made by humans are not always true,but God's rules will be ALWAYS true. Because humans' knowledge is NOTHING compared to God's,Allah SWT.

Also,can you refrain from using offensive words? Because it will lead you nowhere but banned. It is not even convincing. We are trying to make a good discussion here,so either support us or leave us alone

I was curious what other nonsensical dogma you distribute. Now I know where you should concentrate your efforts. Shaving!

Oh yeah, you know ALL about science.

Alcohol = BAD

Pork = BAD

Fasting=GOOD

SEX=VERRRY BAD

Do you also believe homosexuals should be stoned? That should lead to a "good discussion".

I was curious what other nonsensical dogma you distribute. Now I know where you should concentrate your efforts. Shaving!

Oh yeah, you know ALL about science.

Alcohol = BAD

Pork = BAD

Fasting=GOOD

SEX=VERRRY BAD

Do you also believe homosexuals should be stoned? That should lead to a "good discussion".

Yes, I believe that homosexual is misleading and the punishment in Islam is stoned. But before you start anything regarding homo, you should read my good discussion with an atheist before about that matter:

www.gawaher.com/topic/739534-is-there-anything-you-could-not-do-for-Allah/page__st__40

He was such a nice and polite guy and that is how we should discuss here.

And I didn't say that all sexual actions were bad. Only the free sex is bad. Not only because it is not good in morality,but also because it will increase the risks to get many dangerous diseases like STD, HIV,etc. While intercourse within marriage is allowed in Islam. It is not only maintaining our good name, reputation, and morality in society but also healthier

Another Hadith is narrated from Abu Hurairah and it says: The Messenger of Allah: Five things are part of the fitrah: removing the pubic hair, circumcision, trimming the moustache, plucking the armpit hairs, and trimming the nails. 

Would all these be necessary for male reverts to Islam? I'm just thinking of my boys if they decide to revert.

Edited by New Muslimah

As-salamu 'alaikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=1731&CATE=115

Salam,

My interpretation of that is that the answer is yes. The Prophet's (pbuh) statement on the matter seems quite conclusive to me. It's good information to know. 

Edited by New Muslimah

Wasalaam

If you go to the East London Masjid also known as the LMC they have have circumcision clinic there.

44 (0) 20 7650 3000

give them a call inshallah

But instead of plucking the hairs, won't it be better to shave the armpits? Plucking it would be painful and I'm sensitive to pain. It's embarrassing to say this, I have warts in the armpits and how do I deal with this?