Islamic Forum
Mrs. J

"muslims Should Get Over Quran Burning"

This is from last year before Terry Jones went through with it:

As a Florida pastor calls off a Quran-burning bonfire on 9/11, The Daily Beast’s Asra Q. Nomani, herself a Muslim, says there are a few brutal passages in the Quran that should go up in smoke.

On the plan to burn Qurans this weekend, I say to Muslims: Let's get over the symbolic insult and deal with the very real issues of literal interpretations of the Quran that are used to sanction domestic violence, terrorism, militancy, and suicide bombings in the name of Islam.

Gen. David Petraeus has weighed in, saying that the planned burnings by the Rev. Terry Jones' congregation in Florida will endanger U.S. soldiers fighting in Afghanistan. But I believe that there is something that endangers Americans and American soldiers even more: certain passages that—when read literally—pit Muslims against Americans and the West.

We, as Muslims, need to tear a few pages out of the Quran.

I believe the Qurans are being burnt because we, as Muslims, haven't dealt sincerely and intellectually with very serious issues that certain Quranic passages raise, particularly in the West. These include verses—when literally read—that say that disobedient wives can be beaten “lightly,†that Muslims can't be friends with the Jews and the Christians, and that it's OK to kill converts from Islam.

We, as Muslims, need to tear a few pages out of the Quran—symbolically, at least, by rejecting literal adherence to certain problematic verses.

The Christian faith had to deal with problematic verses from the Book of Deuteronomy that sanctioned violence. Jews have had to confront rigid readings of the Old Testament that sanctioned stonings. Muslims, too, must re-interpret verses that aren't compatible with life in the 21st century.

Look at one literal reading of the 34th verse of the fourth chapter of the Quran, An-Nisa, or Women. "[A]nd (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them," reads one widely accepted translation. Based on a literal reading, Saudi scholar Abdul Rahman al-Sheha concludes that when dealing with a “disobedient wife,†a Muslim man has a number of options. First, he should remind her of “the importance of following the instructions of the husband in Islam.†If that doesn't work, he can “leave the wife's bed.†Finally, he may “beat†her, though it must be without “hurting, breaking a bone, leaving blue or black marks on the body and avoiding hitting the face, at any cost.â€

Such appalling recommendations occur because we haven't yet universally drawn a line in the sand, as Muslims, and said that this verse may have been progressive for the seventh century when women were supposedly beaten indiscriminately, but it isn't compatible with the modern day, if read literally. Instead, we do something called the "4:34 dance," suggesting that the light beating be the result of everything from hitting a woman with noodles (yes, you read that right) to a traditional toothbrush, called a “miswak,†from the root of a plant.

The kidnapping and killing of my friend and colleague Daniel Pearl in 2002 forced me to confront the link between literalist interpretations of the Quran and their role in sanctioning violence in the world. For critics of Islam, these verses are the smoking gun that proves that Islam is intrinsically violent. These are verses such as At-Tauba (“The Repentanceâ€) 9:5, which states that Muslims should “slay the pagans wherever ye find them†or Al-Mâ'idah (“The Table Spread with Foodâ€) 5:51, which reads, “Take not the Jews and Christians as friends.â€

We need to reject literal reads of the Quran and recognize that these verses were communicated during specific moments of war, and they aren't edicts for all time. We, as Muslims, must reject the notion that we read these words literally. To many, that would be an act of blasphemy. But, until we do, the literal words of the Quran will be used to rally hate against the faith. And that is why, indeed, Qurans will be burned by the small congregation of about 50 folks from the Rev. Terry Jones' Dove World Outreach Center. It's really just these particular verses that need to go up in smoke.

Asra Q. Nomani is the author of Standing Alone: An American Woman's Struggle for the Soul of Islam. She is co-director of the Pearl Project, an investigation into the murder of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl. Her activism for women's rights at her Masjid in W.V. is the subject of a PBS documentary, The Masjid in Morgantown. She recently published a monograph, Milestones for a Spiritual Jihad: Toward an Islam of Grace.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetthedailybeast(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blogs-and-stories/2010-09-08/get-over-the-quran-burning/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetthedailybeast(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blogs-and-sto...-quran-burning/[/url]

Your thoughts?

PropellerAds

i agree.

my viewpoint is this - muslims are second after christians in terms of numbers. wikipedia says there're about 32% or 2.1 billion christians against some 23% or 1.6 billion muslims throughout the world. as i see it, they're 2 titans and christians are the stronger one. as such some christians being fearful of competition from muslims tend to imagine the worst possible scenario to justify their actions.

jones being one of these irrational ignoble christians despite being a learned man of god, gonna intimidate muslims via burning koran, making fun of Islam etc. there're equally irrational muslims out there who gonna retaliate without considering the consequences and repurcussions.

hence methinks the majority moderate muslims should try to cool them down. as i see it muslims being the weaker titan gonna be losers if they wanna get even everytime jones kind of christians wanna bully them. :sl:

err about this tearing pages, its muslims' prerogative to take the best course of action :sl:

Tom,

Nice to see you again!

I think it's not just competition, the truth is that there are verses commanding Muslims to fight disbelievers as the author mentioned, and a look at history shows that Muhammad's successors and others did exactly that for centuries, and some believe that these verses remain valid:

The kidnapping and killing of my friend and colleague Daniel Pearl in 2002 forced me to confront the link between literalist interpretations of the Quran and their role in sanctioning violence in the world. For critics of Islam, these verses are the smoking gun that proves that Islam is intrinsically violent. These are verses such as At-Tauba (“The Repentanceâ€) 9:5, which states that Muslims should “slay the pagans wherever ye find them†or Al-Mâ'idah (“The Table Spread with Foodâ€) 5:51, which reads, “Take not the Jews and Christians as friends.â€

We need to reject literal reads of the Quran and recognize that these verses were communicated during specific moments of war, and they aren't edicts for all time. We, as Muslims, must reject the notion that we read these words literally. To many, that would be an act of blasphemy. But, until we do, the literal words of the Quran will be used to rally hate against the faith.

I think it's not just competition, the truth is that there are verses commanding Muslims to fight disbelievers as the author mentioned, and a look at history shows that Muhammad's successors and others did exactly that for centuries, and some believe that these verses remain valid:

to me, competition gonna mean rivalry in who's more evil or more holy, who's gonna be the leader or the follower, who's gonna do the commanding or the obeying, who should stay on top or down there etc. hence if jones kind of christians wanna burn quran as a 'modus operandi' to tell muslims not to follow the quran to the letter, then hes a sicko. we should take care of our own backyard instead of leering at others.

sure nomani being muslim can say or do what she wants. its her prerogative and its up to her muslim fellowmen to consider it. butt its not for us to join in the 'fray' by burning quran or wagging our fingers at them. :sl:

We, as Muslims, need to tear a few pages out of the Quran—symbolically, at least, by rejecting literal adherence to certain problematic verses.

The Christian faith had to deal with problematic verses from the Book of Deuteronomy that sanctioned violence. Jews have had to confront rigid readings of the Old Testament that sanctioned stonings. Muslims, too, must re-interpret verses that aren't compatible with life in the 21st century.

(delete)

Asra Q. Nomani is the author of Standing Alone: An American Woman's Struggle for the Soul of Islam. She is co-director of the Pearl Project, an investigation into the murder of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl. Her activism for women's rights at her Masjid in W.V. is the subject of a PBS documentary, The Masjid in Morgantown. She recently published a monograph, Milestones for a Spiritual Jihad: Toward an Islam of Grace.

to me, competition gonna mean rivalry in who's more evil or more holy, who's gonna be the leader or the follower, who's gonna do the commanding or the obeying, who should stay on top or down there etc. hence if jones kind of christians wanna burn quran as a 'modus operandi' to tell muslims not to follow the quran to the letter, then hes a sicko. we should take care of our own backyard instead of leering at others.

sure nomani being muslim can say or do what she wants. its her prerogative and its up to her muslim fellowmen to consider it. butt its not for us to join in the 'fray' by burning quran or wagging our fingers at them. blink.gif

Taking care of your own back yard is great, but if the mess in your neighbour's backyard is spilling into your own, obviously you've gotta say or do something. Sure, burning a Quran is offensive and stupid and not the right way to go about things.

Taking care of your own back yard is great, but if the mess in your neighbour's backyard is spilling into your own, obviously you've gotta say or do something. Sure, burning a Quran is offensive and stupid and not the right way to go about things.

what exactly has spilt into our backyard that warrants jones burning the koran? whats the right way? indeed burning quran is offensive and jones being man of god should utilize his mental faculty to the optimum by taking steps thats gonna produce postive results. right? and whats that? :sl:

Tom,

Nice to see you again!

so its you!! i was wondering whos this cheeky (meant positively) lady. . . hehe. congratulations. glad to see you. your inputs especially in IS JESUS GOD is invaluable. :sl:

so its you!! i was wondering whos this cheeky (meant positively) lady. . . hehe. congratulations. glad to see you. your inputs especially in IS JESUS GOD is invaluable

Thanks!!

what exactly has spilt into our backyard that warrants jones burning the koran? whats the right way? indeed burning quran is offensive and jones being man of god should utilize his mental faculty to the optimum by taking steps thats gonna produce postive results. right? and whats that?

No I don't believe it is the appropriate response.

Muslims must deal with the problems in their community as Nomani is suggesting. Non-Muslims should be able to express their opinions and concerns without being labeled Islamophibes (if they are not) or face accusations of trying to impose western/Christian ideals upon Muslims. If your book says you must/can fight me and some go ahead and do it, why can't I express my concern? Otherwise we have a new Islamophobia where any expression of concern or objection = Islamophobia, like the New Antisemitism (any criticism of israel = antisemitism).

This Nomani is not a Muslim. She is a disbeliever. When I fist read the title of this thread, I thought to myself that Muslims should indeed get over the burning of the Qur'an by that pastor. I didn't except this, though.

That's just plain dumb!! Yes the response of some muslims was extreme, but this is also another extreme. I think the proper response would be to educate people about the Quran. No muslims or non-muslim would come up a reaction liek Noumanis; to tear up a book that they hold with in such high regards; that's just idiotic!!

That's just plain dumb!! Yes the response of some muslims was extreme, but this is also another extreme. I think the proper response would be to educate people about the Quran. No muslims or non-muslim would come up a reaction liek Noumanis; to tear up a book that they hold with in such high regards; that's just idiotic!!

She means it figuratively. We, as Muslims, need to tear a few pages out of the Quran—symbolically, at least, by rejecting literal adherence to certain problematic verses.

We need to reject literal reads of the Quran and recognize that these verses were communicated during specific moments of war, and they aren't edicts for all time. We, as Muslims, must reject the notion that we read these words literally.

She means it figuratively. We, as Muslims, need to tear a few pages out of the Quran—symbolically, at least, by rejecting literal adherence to certain problematic verses.

We need to reject literal reads of the Quran and recognize that these verses were communicated during specific moments of war, and they aren't edicts for all time. We, as Muslims, must reject the notion that we read these words literally.

Figuraitvely or symbolically..it doesn't matter; her idea is extreme and idiotic. If she wants to do something, then she as muslim should educate the masses on the context of how and when the verses should be applied. To try to even think of saying words like this means she doesnt regard as word of God; you reject Quran then you are not a Muslim.

Mrs. J:

Muslims must deal with the problems in their community as Nomani is suggesting. Non-Muslims should be able to express their opinions and concerns without being labeled Islamophibes (if they are not) or face accusations of trying to impose western/Christian ideals upon Muslims. If your book says you must/can fight me and some go ahead and do it, why can't I express my concern? Otherwise we have a new Islamophobia where any expression of concern or objection = Islamophobia, like the New Antisemitism (any criticism of israel = antisemitism).

Non-Muslims 'opinions' are actually usually not opinions and they usually consist of hate crimes and beliefs which are false about Islam.

This is Islamophobia. A phobia is an irrational fear of something. There are many phobias. Islamophobia is one of them.

There is a difference between Anti-semitism and Islamophobia.

When people criticise israel, they are often doing it because israel has in fact commited war crimes against Palestine, and they have absolutely no guilt about it either.

Thus, with Islamophobia, again; it often consists of hate crimes. criticism of israel however is just holding israel accountable for its actions.

It is not right to encourage Islamophobia in any form whatsoever.

Salam.

Non-Muslims 'opinions' are actually usually not opinions and they usually consist of hate crimes and beliefs which are false about Islam.

Pretty darn strong statement. If you are a non-Muslim and have an opinion, odds are you are guilty of a hate crime?

Assalamu Alaikum,

I reverted just a few hours ago and I am overjoyed!...

...Non-Muslims 'opinions' are actually usually not opinions and they usually consist of hate crimes and beliefs which are false about Islam...Salam.

The guy has been a muslim less than a week and already he's throwing the infidels under the bus. Nice.

Any non-Muslim opinion which is not in line with yours is Islamophobia - you're making this exactly into what I was speaking of. This is absurd... imagine if I said that any Muslim 'opinion' about Christianity is a hate crime including the denial of crucifixion & resurrection, etc., therefore you all are Christophobes.

If I'm concerned about hadeeths and Quranic verses which say that disbelievers must be fought, and when we look at history, the caliphs did exactly that, am I not allowed to express my concern as a non-Muslim?

the suggestion to tear pages of the quran may not be acceptable as voiced here. mr MRHYDER has a better suggestion ie educating people on the context of how and when verses in the quran should be applied.

indeed non muslims can express their views even here. its a matter of approach whether we wanna question things in a civil manner or provocative. i've not been civil myself when commenting on err issues relating to the late bin laden. :sl:

The guy has been a muslim less than a week and already he's throwing the infidels under the bus. Nice.

sounds familiar. obama was accused of throwing poor defensive little israel under the bus when he 'wanted' the 2 states solution to use 'before 1967 (?)' boundary. :sl:

This is from last year before Terry Jones went through with it:

As a Florida pastor calls off a Quran-burning bonfire on 9/11, The Daily Beast’s Asra Q. Nomani, herself a Muslim, says there are a few brutal passages in the Quran that should go up in smoke.

On the plan to burn Qurans this weekend, I say to Muslims: Let's get over the symbolic insult and deal with the very real issues of literal interpretations of the Quran that are used to sanction domestic violence, terrorism, militancy, and suicide bombings in the name of Islam.

I believe the Qurans are being burnt because we, as Muslims, haven't dealt sincerely and intellectually with very serious issues that certain Quranic passages raise, particularly in the West. These include verses—when literally read—that say that disobedient wives can be beaten “lightly,†that Muslims can't be friends with the Jews and the Christians, and that it's OK to kill converts from Islam.

Look at one literal reading of the 34th verse of the fourth chapter of the Quran, An-Nisa, or Women. "[A]nd (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them," reads one widely accepted translation. Based on a literal reading, Saudi scholar Abdul Rahman al-Sheha concludes that when dealing with a “disobedient wife,†a Muslim man has a number of options. First, he should remind her of “the importance of following the instructions of the husband in Islam.†If that doesn't work, he can “leave the wife's bed.†Finally, he may “beat†her, though it must be without “hurting, breaking a bone, leaving blue or black marks on the body and avoiding hitting the face, at any cost.â€

Such appalling recommendations occur because we haven't yet universally drawn a line in the sand, as Muslims, and said that this verse may have been progressive for the seventh century when women were supposedly beaten indiscriminately, but it isn't compatible with the modern day, if read literally. Instead, we do something called the "4:34 dance," suggesting that the light beating be the result of everything from hitting a woman with noodles (yes, you read that right) to a traditional toothbrush, called a “miswak,†from the root of a plant.

We need to reject literal reads of the Quran and recognize that these verses were communicated during specific moments of war, and they aren't edicts for all time. We, as Muslims, must reject the notion that we read these words literally. To many, that would be an act of blasphemy. But, until we do, the literal words of the Quran will be used to rally hate against the faith. And that is why, indeed, Qurans will be burned by the small congregation of about 50 folks from the Rev. Terry Jones' Dove World Outreach Center. It's really just these particular verses that need to go up in smoke.

you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetthedailybeast(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blogs-and-sto...-quran-burning/

Your thoughts?

This is dead on. I don't agree with the burning of anyone's holy book. I think the reason it's done is because people don't want to be shut up by angry, vengeful and hateful people who want to kill at the slightest provocation. They are generally testing the waters for a reaction. This is fair game in a free speech society. Yes, Muslims need to let go of the literal translations that make no sense in todays world, if they want to have peace with the rest of the world. Just the other day, a punk rock band in Canada displayed Jesus as a piece of dog poop in their video. They say it is artistic freedom This is pretty disgusting and Christian fundamentalists, as well as many other Christians will be offended, but I can guarantee you that there will be no death threats and people won't riot in the streets. Anyone who lives in a democracy will understand that this is the price you pay for free speech. Freedom is the only thing you have to give to your enemy in order to keep it yourself. This is precisely why we don't put people in prison without a fair trial or why they are not arrested without proper legal evidence.

This writer lady, while I can't say is not a Muslim (because I don't want to make a personal declaration of her), is doing an act that makes one leave the fold of Islam. One of the 6 pillars of faith is to believe in His books. It doesn't mean to believe in parts of the Qur'an, but to accept it wholly. She needs to relearn the basics. Muslim is not a title or a cloak you wrap around yourself when it suits you and remove it when it gets too hot and stuffy. It is an absolute identity. It means "the one who submits", not "the one who submits to the parts he/she likes".

Truth be told, I find it grating to listen to Muslims like her, moreso than someone like the pastor. At least I can laugh at the latter.

Salam.

What I wonder is should pages be torn out of the Bible, symbolically at least, or should they go up in flames? Don't bother by replying that the Biblical passages aren't relevant in today's time because they are very relevant. The israelis call Palestinians Amalek, certain Rabbis advocate that killing of innocent children and women is allowed just like in Biblical times etc. I wonder would this Nomani suggest that the Jews and Christians do such a thing? She would probably be out of a job.

name='Younes Ibn Abd' al-Aziz' date='May 20 2011, 01:12 PM' post='1238208']

What I wonder is should pages be torn out of the Bible, symbolically at least, or should they go up in flames? Don't bother by replying that the Biblical passages aren't relevant in today's time because they are very relevant. The israelis call Palestinians Amalek, certain Rabbis advocate that killing of innocent children and women is allowed just like in Biblical times etc. I wonder would this Nomani suggest that the Jews and Christians do such a thing? She would probably be out of a job.

Hi Younes, I must say I agree with you. To not fully accept ones "Holy Book" is stupid. Each persons Holy Book should be treated with respect. It does not matter if you agree with it or not. What this pastor did was completely disrespectful and what this woman suggest is absolutly absurd. I would have a hard time putting up with a Bible burning. I would want to string the fool up. (yes I know unchristian). My personal feelings. I think Muslims should have a right to feel the same about the guy. But eventualy one has to let it go. But not like this woman suggest.

Tom,

Nice to see you again!

Honey, as a human (which is a part of the animal kingdom by the way if you haven't figured) EVERYTHING IS COMPETITION DUE TO NATURAL INSTINCT TO BE THE FITTEST AND THE GREATEST. It comes down to a point in life where religious excuses are being used to fight against each other due to pure hatred of being the bigger bunch or the fastest growing bunch. Here is the true conflict between Christianity and Islam. Christianity is the most populated while Islam is the fastest growing. The solution: destroy each other in any way possible (as humans are animals) until one wins or strives. And we all know nobody wins until one of the sides completely die out or go instinct so the other could completely rule and take over. Meaning there will be a never ending mental/physical war between Christianity and Islam until one of them gets wiped out for good.

As for you claiming that there are verses commanding Muslims to fight disbelievers, tell me why? Why are Muslims fighting disbelievers? That would mean Islam is some kind of cult with a Quran that shares the same prophets as Christianity and Judaism except the difference is Islam's last prophet is Muhammad who carried out the Quran with these words of the same prophet as Christianity and Judaism? And this cult religion also has many same stories that are in Christianity? If Islam was made to go against Christanity and Judiasm then why does the Quran say that the Bible and the Torah also revealed God's words but it just got corrupted? If Islam was made to go against Christianity and Judaism then why does it have a special name for them being a part of "The People of the Book" but not Hinduism or Buddhism which came first? If Islam is soo against nonbelievers (which are pretty much Christianity and Judaism to people) why were they told to respect a man named Jesus that Christians consider the Son of God AND God in human form (which completely doesn't make sense)?

Hi Younes, I must say I agree with you. To not fully accept ones "Holy Book" is stupid. Each persons Holy Book should be treated with respect. It does not matter if you agree with it or not. What this pastor did was completely disrespectful and what this woman suggest is absolutly absurd. I would have a hard time putting up with a Bible burning. I would want to string the fool up. (yes I know unchristian). My personal feelings. I think Muslims should have a right to feel the same about the guy. But eventualy one has to let it go. But not like this woman suggest.

At least someone who is very open minded and considerate of others point of view and puts themselves in other people's shoes. As someone compared Christianity to bullying Islam, at some point, Islam does have to let it go. The problem with Islam is, people love to react, it's sensitive which needs to change. The Islam religion is more gentle and conserved. It's not as free and open as Christianity. And between any fights and arguments, one side is always sensitive than the other. It's true some Islamic people need to understand that reacting to Christianity's bullying only makes Christianity have more fun which equals more teasing (which ends up making Islam more mad which then goes back to more fun for Christianity). It's not a one sided thing.

Hello Younes,

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. These are their interpretations. Has the israeli military began a campaign to exterminate the Palestinians? Do israelis or Jews openly chant, "Death to Palestinians" to the degree that many in the region chant, "Death to israel/the Jews"? "Certain Rabbis..." as you said do not represent all israelis or Jews, as many are against the oppression the israeli government hands out. If they are as relevant as you claim, where are the masses of Jewish mujahideen ready to kill the "Amalek Palestinians"? Are Jews taught that the Palestinians are literally Amalek, and therefore kill them wherever they find them? Also, the term "Amalek" can apply to an ideological or spiritual enemy, not necessarily one that has to be fought physically. Furthermore, it is not clear who is really an Amalek and who isn't therefore, to kill indiscriminately on incomplete information contradicts Jewish scholarship on this matter. Nonetheless, I don't deny that some people talk such crap and it's despicable.

Nomani speaks the truth in saying that certain verses have been symbolically "torn out" as israel doesn't stone people for adultery, etc., (unless I am wrong).

Peace.