Islamic Forum
Joker37

Camel Urine As Medicine

Why do so many Muslims recommend drinking camel urine as treatment for ailments?

What's so special about camel urine?

PropellerAds

[iframe]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Urine_therapy[i'm not allowed to use this tag yet]

I would just like to mention that in Islam camel urine is to be mixed with the milk. One Bedouin, in madeena tolled me that they merely stir the milk with the camels tail, thus putting urine in the milk. So when our prophet, salallahu alayhi wasallam, advised some people to drink camels milk and its urine, i don't think it was a cup of each that was being suggested. Allah knows best

No soul has authority over another. Guidance and straying is a matter between God and you.

aakwrAllahwbHu

Why do so many Muslims recommend drinking camel urine as treatment for ailments?

What's so special about camel urine?

Within Hanafis: Abu Hanifa (rAah) deemed it impermissible, whereas his student (al-Shaybani, I think) declared it permissible. The dominant opinion appears to be that of another of Abu Hanifa's student, Abu Yusuf, who said it is impermissible except when it is established that in it is cure and there is no permissible alternative at hand.

I have read that Malikis hold it permissible.

And I have read differing views as far as the remaining two schools are concerned.

Alhamdu lillahi Rabbil aalameen.

la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Al-‘Atheemu Al-Haleemu, la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbul ‘arshil-‘atheemi,

la ilaaha illaa Allaahu Rabbus-samaawaati wa Rabbul-ardhi wa Rabbul-‘arshil-kareemi

there is no god except Allah, the All-Mighty, the Forbearing; there is no god except Allah, the Lord of the Mighty Throne;

there is no god except Allah, Lord of the heavens, Lord of the earth and Lord of the noble Throne.

And you are people you don't eat pork for fear of catching disease?

Not eating pork has got nothing do with disease.

Oh, I'm sorry but I've read that several times on this forum as a justification for the taboo.

kb

Oh, I'm sorry but I've read that several times on this forum as a justification for the taboo.

The fact still remains that the Islamic reason for it is not disease. It doesn't how many comments you have heard on an Internet board. Islamically speaking, unless there is no Qur'anic verse or Hadith explicitly stating that, then there is no reason to say that it was forbidden due to disease.

I believe there are reasons to support that, in hot climates pork may harbour infection more so than other meats, but that isn't taking into account modern chilling techniques of course.

From what I've read it is partly because the animal cannot be killed in an 'Islamic' way, i.e. cutting of the jugular vein and bleeding to death (lovely), due to the anatomy of the pig. Hence it is considered 'unclean'. But that this goes way back to the time of Abraham anyway and so is pre-Islamic, it's just a tradition which has been maintained - also with Jews I understand.

k

But that this goes way back to the time of Abraham anyway and so is pre-Islamic, it's just a tradition which has been maintained - also with Jews I understand.

No, it doesn't go back to the time of Abraham (pbuh).

All food was lawful unto the Children of israel, save that which israel forbade himself, (in days) before the Torah was revealed. Say: Produce the Torah and read it (unto us) if ye are truthful. (3:93)

Like the verse says, the children of israel were allowed to eat everything expect that which Jacob (pbuh) who is israel forbade himself. Jacob (pbuh) forbade himself camel meal and milk. Later when the Torah was sent down things got stricter.

From what I've read it is partly because the animal cannot be killed in an 'Islamic' way, i.e. cutting of the jugular vein and bleeding to death (lovely), due to the anatomy of the pig. Hence it is considered 'unclean'.

Do you have any Islamic sources on this?

I know a Russian woman who lives in central Russia who is in her 70s. When I got a bad gash (cut) on my leg, she advised me to rub urine in it. She could not explain why but said it would help.

That woman has probably never met a Muslim in her life.

Urine is a very sterile liquid and I suspect in that part of the world, it was used as an antiseptic rinse. (It's true - urea is slightly acidic and very sterile)

I didn't do it by the way :-) But I'm just pointing out that urine as a medicinal liquid goes far back in the history of many cultures.

I know a Russian woman who lives in central Russia who is in her 70s. When I got a bad gash (cut) on my leg, she advised me to rub urine in it. She could not explain why but said it would help.

That woman has probably never met a Muslim in her life.

Urine is a very sterile liquid and I suspect in that part of the world, it was used as an antiseptic rinse. (It's true - urea is slightly acidic and very sterile)

I didn't do it by the way :-) But I'm just pointing out that urine as a medicinal liquid goes far back in the history of many cultures.

That's corrrect, at least I do know that human urine is sterile, but I'm not sure if that means there are no bacteria present.

I don't know how dog's saliva compares, however.

Peace

RS

But I'm just pointing out that urine as a medicinal liquid goes far back in the history of many cultures.

may be some people were considering camel urine having some medicinal value during the prophet's time and they might have attributed this as a sahih hadith report to the prophet for more authenticity. Prophet muhammed would not advice people to drink camel urine for any illness. This is not an issue pertaining to religion. (by the way which illness camel urine is suitable and who is supposed to prescribe this?). Quran gives extream importance for clealiness and also directs us to take tayib food. Suppose human urine has some medicinal value (it has indeed some medicinal properties like Pergonal, a fertility drug made from human urine), does it mean that we can direct people to drink theirown unrine? absurd.

That's corrrect, at least I do know that human urine is sterile, but I'm not sure if that means there are no bacteria present.

I don't know how dog's saliva compares, however.

Different issue.

The dog's saliva is more a matter of ritual purity rather than medicine. To compare, there are all sorts of things in Judaism that make one ritually impure.

BTW, views on dogs in Islam are not universal:

masjidtucson(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/books/SP/2001/dec/page4.html

if you ever get stung by a jellyfish you should pee on the sting as it will aleviate the pain, somehow.

Drinking camel urine to cure... well... anything is nonsense.

It's no different from homeopathy, only more harmful.

Just another "alternate medicine" with no basis in actual science.

Alternative medicine is UNCONVENTIONAL way of treating illness. It may work on someone or may not work on others. As long as it works for an individual, who are we here to make all the fuss about that?

Because some people put all of their trust in alternative medicine, instead of tried-and-tested medical science, which they completely neglect as their illness worsens. All the time these peopel selling the "alternative medicine" are making money.

People have died because of this.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_blogs.discovermagazine(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/badastronomy/2009/06/05/homeopathy-kills/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_blogs.discovermagazine(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/badastro...meopathy-kills/[/url]

Yeah! I agree here that we must prefer using CONVENTIONAL medicines based on tried-and-tested medical science. If it does not work, then may be Alternative Medicines.