Islamic Forum
jd2011

Prayer In Your Native Language

Selam.. I am considering converting to Islam and wondering if it is ok to recite prayers in my native language of English or if I must recite them in Arabic? Thanks for any input. InşAllah :sl:

PropellerAds

Salam

The five obligatory prayers must be said in Arabic. But you can make supplication in whatever language you like. Just take your time learning the Arabic prayer and never get frustrated. Take as long as it takes. God will reward you for your effort. Since you don't know Arabic, it might take awhile so don't get freaked out.

In the prayer the Muslim must recite Soorat al-Faatihah in Arabic, so he has to learn it. If he is unable to do so but he knows one verse of it, he should repeat it seven times, which is the number of verses in Soorat al-Faatihah. If he is unable to do that then he should say: “Subhaan Allaah, wa’l-hamdu Lillaah, wa laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, wa Allaahu akbar, wa laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, wa laa hawla wa laa quwwata illa Billaah (Glory be to Allaah, praise be to Allaah, there is no god except Allaah, Allaah is Most Great, there is no god but Allaah, and there is no power and no strength except with Allaah).†See question no. 5410.

The matter is easy, praise be to Allaah. How many people have learned to speak a language other than their own very well, even two or three languages, so how can they be unable to learn thirty or forty words that they need in their prayers?

If the language was really an obstacle, you would not find millions of Muslims who are not Arabs, who perform the acts of worship with ease, praise be to Allaah.

So hasten to enter Islam, for no one knows when his appointed time (i.e. death) will come. May Allaah save you and keep you safe from His wrath and punishment.

All you have to do to enter this great religion is to say, “Ash-hadu an laa ilaaha ill-Allaah wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan ‘abduhu wa Rasooluhu (I bear witness that there is no god except Allaah and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger),†and you will find people among your Muslim brothers who will help you to learn the prayer and other matters of Islam.

Please also see the following questions: 219, 12376, 6389, 6706, 378, 2585, 20239, 10590, 4319

And Allaah knows best.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/20815/prayer%20%20convert"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/20815/prayer%20%20convert[/url]

salam

[it's enough that you learn 19 necessary sentences and try to say.

it is necessary that you say your prayer in arabic because the meaning of the Allah words(quran) isn't complete in other words. like the meaning of the rahmah or rahim.

jd2011

salaam bro/sister

so you are convinced that

none is worthy of worship /expecting of but Allah

muhammad is a created slave and messenger of Allah

if you repeat the above in a voice audible to your own ears you are already a muslim

praying in Islam is conversing with Allah

ofocurse you will converse in the language you think with

the obligation of the 5 daily prayers

and the words of arabic for asking of Allah

are Allah taught

since he made us and all that surrounds us

he gave us words in his language that ask from Allah all that we may need in any and every situation

our own choice of words

or our own view of what might help us most in any situation is very minor compared to what the creator of everything and all situations aand all solutions and sentiments

knows of what helps us the most

so the 5 obligatory prayers

for your own sake

you must say in Allah taught and Allah crafted words of his language

the rest of your time you converse with Allah in your own lingo

remeber the purpose of the 5 prayers

and they are mandatory to be said with the eyes open and light enough to show you your prayer rug

the purpose is to make you aware of Allah's support all around you and in you always

Allah is between the person and the person's viability

is stated in the quran

you ofcourse know all this

i repeat it to clrify that your relationship with Allah will remain through your native language

however the obligatory will impose itself

and really i have no proof for myself that i am a believer in Allah unless i exhibit the practice of treating all else secondary and my obligatory prayer delivery primary

may Allah guide us all along this path of enlightenment that Allah revealed to mankind and chose muhammad to lead the way

aameen

salaam

this is the muslim greeting

assalaamu alaikum

means

may you be out of harm's way in every way

see this is Allah taught and Allah crafted and no human brain could craft such a comprehensive greeting

similarly the arabic words and sentences you need learning for obligatory prayers

salaam