Islamic Forum
ala'adin

Could Only Sisters Answer Please...

Asalaamu Alaykum,

In the western society that we live in today what would be the most respectable way to approach a sister to ask for her hand in marriage if you do not know her family of her friends who could facilitate?

Jzk Khair

PropellerAds

Wa alaikumu as-salamu

Ask your mother, sister or female relative to speak with her, or ask them to have somebody to talk with her.

I know you asked for sisters to respond, so I will just agree with the last post.

As-salamu alaikum

...I feel a little out of place after reading the thread title.

Asalaamu Alaykum,

In the western society that we live in today what would be the most respectable way to approach a sister to ask for her hand in marriage if you do not know her family of her friends who could facilitate?

Jzk Khair

Wa alaikum salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

It doesn't matter what a sister finds respectable, what matters is what is acceptable according to Islaam.

Find your answer on ######.islamqa.com

Asalaamu Alaykum

Akhi Abu Firdaws, I thought that It was implied that by the sister finding it respectable would also mean it was acceptable in Islam as there are more then one way of doing things...

My situation is that my family is against me getting married because they believe at 23 I am too young and want me to wait a few years and so they will not help me in my search so unfortunately that is not really an option for me.

Jzk Khair

Maybe the local community/masjid can help you with finding a spouse? My wife works as secretary at the Masjid and sometimes if a brother is looking for a spouse, the secretary or members of the administration help them by finding single sisters.

Asalaamu Alaykum

Akhi Abu Firdaws, I thought that It was implied that by the sister finding it respectable would also mean it was acceptable in Islam as there are more then one way of doing things...

My situation is that my family is against me getting married because they believe at 23 I am too young and want me to wait a few years and so they will not help me in my search so unfortunately that is not really an option for me.

Jzk Khair

:sl:

At 23 am going through the same thing my family also thinks the same, but i pray my family understands and help me get married. I hope the same for you.

:sl:

Asalaamu Alaykum

Jzk Khair

Wa alaikum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh,

I understand where you are coming from, may Allaah ease your task.

Are you currently supporting yourself? Meaning, do you have an income, and somewhere to live; or are you living with your parents?

Asalaamu Alaykum

Alhumdullilah, I have a good job with a good income and so while I am currently living at home, financially I would have problem renting a place and supporting a wife Inshallah.

Asalaamu Alaykum

Alhumdullilah, I have a good job with a good income and so while I am currently living at home, financially I would have problem renting a place and supporting a wife Inshallah.

Wa alaikum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh,

Would or wouldn't?

Are you planning to get married without your parents knowledge? Have you spoken to them about this? You really need to get your parents on your side akhi.

Salaam,

Sorry it should read "would not have a problem"

I am not planning to get married without their knowledge although the thought has crossed my mind, it would be too detrimental and could potentially sever ties.

Problem is my parents do not even entertain the idea and just dismiss it when i bring it up, I am trying to force the issue but its not easy and I need to be fair in everything that i do....

Salaam,

Sorry it should read "would not have a problem"

I am not planning to get married without their knowledge although the thought has crossed my mind, it would be too detrimental and could potentially sever ties.

Problem is my parents do not even entertain the idea and just dismiss it when i bring it up, I am trying to force the issue but its not easy and I need to be fair in everything that i do....

Wa alaikum salaam,

You must speak to them akhi, maybe they don't realise how serious you are; speak to them. And remember to make du'aa insha'Allah.