Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tonnyj

Is Allah A Jealous God?

I hear that Allah does not have the qualities of negative traits only humans would have, such as jealousy. I notice in the bible it points out that the Lord is a jealous God - He does not approve of people worshiping other deities except Him. Now if Allah is not a jealous God, doesn't He have the attribute of anger? Isn't He an angry God at times? Isn't Anger and Jealously both attributes that are negative traits humans obtain?

PropellerAds

As-salamu alaikum

I haven't read that Allah is a jealous God in Islamic sources. There's no doubt that God's anger is upon disbelievers and criminals. That's often repeated in the Qur'an. Anger in itself is not inherently negative. Getting angry when one's religion is offended, or when one's family is danger are good things. Getting angry for the sake of God when His laws are totally disrespected is a good thing. Being angry against the enemy in war is good - as long as you don't go ballistic and start doing stupid things! Obviously when God is angry, it is not a negative trait, much less a human one.

So there is no doubt that it is never taught God is jealous?

There is a Hadith that some people use to say that Allah has jealousy (though they misunderstand the meaning).

AI-Mughira b. Shu’ba (Allah be pleased with him) reported that Sa’d b. ‘Ubaadah (Allah be pleased with him) said: If I were to see a man with my wife, I would have struck him with the sword, and not with the flat part (side) of it. When Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) heard of that, he said: Are you surprised at Sa’d’s jealousy of his honour? By Allah, I am more jealous of my honour than he, and Allah is more jealous than I. Because of His jealousy Allah has prohibited abomination, both open and secret. And no person is more jealous of his honour than Allah, and no persons, is more fond of accepting an excuse than Allah, on account of which He has sent messengers, announcers of glad tidings and warners; and no one is more fond of praise than Allah on account of which Allah has promised Paradise. [sahih Muslim 9,3572]

The word used for jealousy here is "gheerah". But unlike the English translation, gheerah has a positive connotation. It is protectiveness, such as of one's honor, belongings, or wife. In the case of the man, he should have gheerah that makes him hate it if other men look at his wife, rather than feel apathy. It is a characteristic that is encouraged in Islam. Allah is protective of His honor and His "jealousy" (if we translated it as such) is a positive attribute, rather than the general jealousy that is associated with desiring what others have, or resenting them as a result.

Dictionary(contact admin if its a beneficial link) has a definition: vigilance in maintaining or guarding something.

That is the best meaning to use here.

Salam.

THERE IS NO GOD BUT Allah (I would say it is a form of jealousy or intolerance of any other god.)

59.23] He is Allah, besides Whom there is no god; the King, the Holy, the Giver of peace, the Granter of security, Guardian over all, the Mighty, the Supreme, the Possessor of every greatness Glory be to Allah from what they set up (with Him).

[59.24] He is Allah the Creator, the Maker, the Fashioner; His are the most excellent names; whatever is in the heavens and the earth declares His glory; and He is the Mighty, the Wise.

THERE IS NO GOD BUT Allah (I would say it is a form of jealousy or intolerance of any other god.)

Considering that there is no God but Allah, it is a factual statement. And you're right; God is intolerant. Intolerant of the evils and mischiefs of man in pursuing the worship of anyone but the Creator, who created us for the sole reason of worshipping Him.

59.23] He is Allah, besides Whom there is no god; the King, the Holy, the Giver of peace, the Granter of security, Guardian over all, the Mighty, the Supreme, the Possessor of every greatness Glory be to Allah from what they set up (with Him).

[59.24] He is Allah the Creator, the Maker, the Fashioner; His are the most excellent names; whatever is in the heavens and the earth declares His glory; and He is the Mighty, the Wise.

You've quoted two verses in which God names all of the attributes that He possess. If I tell you that I own a house, a car, two cats, an LCD screen, I wouldn't be acting jealous. I might be proud (and God is the Most Proud, rightly so). Or I might just be speaking plainly or objectively. But "jealous" mght not be the right word here.

Salam.

Considering that there is no God but Allah, it is a factual statement. And you're right; God is intolerant. Intolerant of the evils and mischiefs of man in pursuing the worship of anyone but the Creator, who created us for the sole reason of worshipping Him.

You've quoted two verses in which God names all of the attributes that He possess. If I tell you that I own a house, a car, two cats, an LCD screen, I wouldn't be acting jealous. I might be proud (and God is the Most Proud, rightly so). Or I might just be speaking plainly or objectively. But "jealous" mght not be the right word here.

Salam.

Redeem, when I quoted 59:23-24 I only considered these words, " He is Allah, besides Whom there is no god; " To me that means that Allah is the only god and there is none other. Allah is not just jealous, THERE IS NO OTHER GOD. This translates into, "Worshipping any other god is worshipping an idol."

Redeem, when I quoted 59:23-24 I only considered these words, " He is Allah, besides Whom there is no god; " To me that means that Allah is the only god and there is none other. Allah is not just jealous, THERE IS NO OTHER GOD. This translates into, "Worshipping any other god is worshipping an idol."

" He is Allah, besides Whom there is no god; "

It's a true.

If I say "I don't have a sister" that doesn't mean I'm jealous, I'm just talking the way it is

" He is Allah, besides Whom there is no god; "

It's a true.

If I say "I don't have a sister" that doesn't mean I'm jealous, I'm just talking the way it is

fajrtear, that is not my understanding. What I understand from that statement is, "Allah is the ONLY ILAH and only HE shall be worshipped." This is fully supported by the following Quranic verse:

Qur'an 59:22 "Allah is He, no other Ilah (God) may be worshiped; Who knows both secret and open; He, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. He is Allah, Whom there is no other Ilah (God); the Sovereign, the Holy One, the Source of Security, the Guardian of Faith, the Majestic, the Irresistible, the Superb, the Compeller: Glory to Allah! He is Allah, the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Forms (or Colors). To Him belong the Best Names: whatever is in the heavens and on earth declares His Praises and Glory: and He is the Mighty, the Wise."

Isn't this what it means to you?

fajrtear, that is not my understanding. What I understand from that statement is, "Allah is the ONLY ILAH and only HE shall be worshipped."[using large font size is not allowed] This is fully supported by the following Quranic verse:

Qur'an 59:22 "Allah is He, no other Ilah (God) may be worshiped; Who knows both secret and open; He, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. He is Allah, Whom there is no other Ilah (God); the Sovereign, the Holy One, the Source of Security, the Guardian of Faith, the Majestic, the Irresistible, the Superb, the Compeller: Glory to Allah! He is Allah, the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Forms (or Colors). To Him belong the Best Names: whatever is in the heavens and on earth declares His Praises and Glory: and He is the Mighty, the Wise."

YES[using large font size is not allowed], and to me it means that only Allah may be worshiped

fajrtear, that is not my understanding. What I understand from that statement is, "Allah is the ONLY ILAH and only HE shall be worshipped." This is fully supported by the following Quranic verse:

Considering that the life of this world is a test, and that our purpose is to worship Him alone, then the clarification that He alone should be worshipped is also for our own benefit. That way, we can't claim "but I thought it would be okay to worship You and the moon together" when we stand before Him. Besides, Allah is deserving of all worship. It is a factual statement and if He says "worship Me alone", it is because He is asserting His full rights to our time and bodies. If I have a right to my car, meaning I'm the sole owner, am I being jealous if I say no one else has the right to drive it?

Salam.

So there is absolute consensus on this phrase:

Qur'an 59:22 "Allah is He, no other Ilah (God) may be worshiped;

So all those who do not submit to Allah are infidels. This is what differentiates Muslims from non-Muslims.

Why turn they not to Allah, and seek His forgiveness? For Allah is Oft- forgiving, Most Merciful. (Chapter #5, Verse #74)

So all those who do not submit to Allah are infidels. This is what differentiates Muslims from non-Muslims.

Yes, that is correct.

i am sorry but i do not get your point. surely jealousy requires another object that one competes with, had Allah said "there are other silly gods but they are not as cool as i am so worship only me" that would be jealousy, but now Allah said "there is no other god but Allah" then in the absence of another object to compete with there can not be any jealousy.

Asalamu alaykum.

I've tried to reply to some posts here but am getting error messages.

Asalamu alaykum.

I've tried to reply to some posts here but am getting error messages.

Have you read all the rules?

Allah does not need to compete with anyone because there is no other god that exists. It doesn't mean that Allah is jealous, He is just telling us there is no other god. Islam is based around the whole concept that as humans we should only worship the One God.

Allah does not need to compete with anyone because there is no other god that exists. It doesn't mean that Allah is jealous, He is just telling us there is no other god. Islam is based around the whole concept that as humans we should only worship the One God.

Yes, I agree, that if you submit to Allah you are the chosen of Allah.