Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NYP8tBaller07

New Convert Questions

Well as the title says I'm a new covert to Islam and have been practicing Islam for a years now. I have a good understanding of the religion and its culture yet not being born into the Muslim community I get very nervous about things. For starters I have a tattoo that shows on my right bicep when I wear a T-shirt so I'm scared of what people in the Muslim community will think of me if they see me with a t-#### (I can only wear so many long sleeves in the summer =p). I am also nervous about when I meet a girl and say we want to meet each others families. I come from a Italian-American family so the cultures are very different; I don't know how they will react to how my family is. I just hope I'm not the only one in this position and that others can help. Assalamu alaikum

PropellerAds

Wa alaikumu as-salamu

You shouldn't really have any worries concerning your family. I bet your family is perfectly normal and you won't have any problems. After all, we are just humans.

Tattoos are haram as you probably know. Is your tattoo really outrageous? If not, people probably won't even notice. It's not like people check each other's biceps all the time. To counter balance the negative of the tattoo wear something that is strictly associated with Islam or worn by Muslims; that will throw even the most negative people off and they probably won't think about your tat even if they see it.

I got my tattoos before I considered Islam and converted. Ever since I was introduced to Islam I stopped getting tattoos. Its a tribal design that goes along the top of my back to just before my right elbow; with a t-shirt on I can cover it up with my hand. Yet because I have the tattoos I feel others will still judge me =(

I never thought about wearing something Islam related =)

Salam alikum

For me, if I know a convert that has a tattoo I would totally understand that he/she got it before converting, wouldn't be an issue at all. I think you will sometime get a brief speech, about how tat's are haram, my advice is that you nod with a smile :sl: . Advice is good in Islam, but hopefully the one who gives the advice some how understands the situation :sl:

Also about your family, they should know that they are none muslims, and its no surprise !! :no:

I'm hoping those who notice are understanding; thankyou for your input =)

:sl:

Alhamdulillah! I'm so happy to hear about your acceptance of Islam. I can also understand your fears. But take heart. Those tattoos are things of the past. They were the result of your ignorance. And with your acceptance of Islam and your testimony to the Truth ALL your sins were washed away. Just like that!

Isn't that a matter for rejoicing? :sl:

So if anyone sees the tattoo and give you strange looks you can simply tell them that you had got it before Islam.

Explain if you must. But you don't really need to provide a justification for anything. You don't owe anyone any explanation frankly.

Let it be sufficient that Allah is aware of the truth about your tattoo and that He has forgiven you for all things you did before embracing Islam.

I got my tattoos before I considered Islam and converted. Ever since I was introduced to Islam I stopped getting tattoos.

As-salamu alaikum

That's why I thought when I read your first. I was just stating the obvious, i.e. that tats are haram, therefore, you might get some looks. You should stop thinking too much of what others think of you. You having tats is not their business, it's between God and you and Islam erases past sins. Some of the Companions (ra) did worse things like kill their female infants but that was erased by Islam.

I never thought about wearing something Islam related =)

You should try it out. Plus remember that a warm "As-salamu alaikum" with a nice smile goes a long way.

You can solve your problem by removing your tattoo :sl:

whats done is done and the amount of money it would take to remove would be ridiculous. I'm in collage and money is hard to come by lol

whats done is done and the amount of money it would take to remove would be ridiculous. I'm in collage and money is hard to come by lol

?

And removing may be done if you really want :sl:

But, whatever you want..your choice :sl: