Islamic Forum
tonnyj

Is There Really 7 Readings Of The Quran?

Salem

I am reading "Islam, Past, Present, & Future" by Hans Kung. In page 69 he goes to talk about the development of the Quran. I am wanting your take on this.

"Uthman cent copies of this unitary text from Medina to the most important centres of the empire, Damascus in Syria, Kufa and Basra in Iraq, and probably also Mecca. No resistance worth mentioning was shown to the new canonical text by those who recited the Quran there."

Then it goes on to mention that other readings (qira'at) and codices (masahif) were still around when the instructions were they should already have been burnt.

"In the early tenth century some Muslim scholars even produced a study of these variants, though it showed no important or even fundamental differences. Yet in many respects even Uthman's unitary edition was still inadequate. Philologists call it a scripto defectiva.

"the standard edition of 1923 was made, at the request of the Egyptian King Fu'ad, by scholars of al-Azhar university on the basis of the Iraqi textual tradition. The number and sequence of the surahs had been unambiguously laid down by 'Uthman's edition but the whole text was in a consonantal script (without vowels) and with no diacritical signs, so that numerous words and verses were ambiguous and open to misinterpretation."

At this point I want to ask - if the standard text did not come into place until 1923 - what was it like before 1923? So from the death of Muhammad with the Quran being revealed to 1923 - if there were still ambiguous meanings of the text - how do we know people held on the the right interpretations until now?

Going on it goes to say:

"In the important centres of the Quranic scholarship - Medina and Mecca (for Arabia), Damascus (for Syria), and Basra and Kufa (for Iraq) - the Quran was still recited differently in some respects with textual variants and different modes of presentation, giving different 'readings' (qira'a, plural qira'at) of the Quran."

" There are seven readings, no more and no less, and seven famous reciters, said Ibn Mujahid from Kufa around 900 - for theological reasons."

So is he talking about 7 versions of the quran or 7 transltions?

"His view gained wide assent: seven readings of the Quran were accepted, among which there did not need to be perfect unity. Yet in the course of time for practical reasons a single reading became establish, the reading of 'Asim of Kufa (died 744) in the tradition of Haf (805)."

I always hear from Muslims that if you take any Muslim in the world with another Muslim on the other side of the world, and put those 2 reciters together, they will both be in harmony when reciting. If that is true how is it possible 7 different readings were accepted yet Muslims claim there is only one reading?

PropellerAds

wa alaikumu as-salam

There are 7 readings of the Qur'an. But to get a better understanding, you must read the book that I linked you. Do you still have that link to that pdf-file which starts sideways?

o yeah I still do. The thing is intimidating - so huge haha. I'll check it out thou.

o yeah I still do. The thing is intimidating - so huge haha. I'll check it out thou.

As-salamu alaikum

If you want to understand this subject, it is a must read.

Wa alaikumu as-salam

Here is the link:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_individual.utoronto.ca/fantastic/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_individual.utoronto.ca/fantastic/[/url]

Click on the "The History of the Qur'anic Text from Revelation to Compilation"- section and download the file.

You're welcome.