Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
canacolin

Noah's Ark

To me, one of the most ludicrous stories of the Bible is that of Noah's Ark. It obvious to me that it is total garbage. That's not to say some guy didn't put a few animals on the boat during a flood but beyond that it doesn't make any rational sense.

I have mentioned this in another post but there are around 40,000 know species of spider. If we guess at there being 50,000 then Noah would have to have collected 100,000 spiders alone from all parts of the world. Most species are unique to limited geographical areas and continents.

How also did he manage to get all the animals back to their eventual homes (lemurs in Madagascar, marsupials in Australia, polar bears to the Arctic etc.)?

For me this one story is enough to consign the Bible to the bin; if it contains one lie then how can I trust any of it?

I was wondering what the official Islamic view is and do Muslims believe it and if so to what degree?

Salam.

PropellerAds

I think Prophet Noah(as) was the first messenger after Adam(as). Or one of the first ones. This could have happened millions of years ago maybe billions or longer. Only Allah knows. Maybe the geography of Earth was most likely different. Maybe all creatures were not spread on the entire planet? Maybe they migrated to different places after the flood? There could be a thousand explanations but the fact is he did it because Allah willed it. We can not compare our time to that time. The population of the Earth might have been very small compared to now. Again we don't know. What might be interesting for you though is that the story of Noah(as) is mentioned in the bible and then about 600-700 years later it was told in the Quran which came to a man who was not some bible expert nor did he know how to read or write(i.e:Prophet Muhammad(saw)).

Anyway, here is the Islamic position on Noah(peace be upon him): (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/10470/Noah"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/10470/Noah[/url]

One more thing about Noahs ark that disproves it.

When it rains the water falling down is fresh water, but the oceans are salt water. As anyone could tell you sea creatures could not live in fresh water (with the exception of some species), so the high majority of sea creatures would be killed since the salt water oceans would be flooded with fresh water. If that happened there would be evidence of that mass extinction and the oceans today would have very little life in them.

Ok, so the Qur'an tells us nothing of timescales from the flood to Muhammad's time (could have been 600 years, could be 15 billion years but obviously could not have pre-dated Adam and Eve) It seems a bit strange the Qur'an doesn't bother giving us some more information. I would have thought that Allah would have foreseen questions such as this and put them in the Qur'an to silence us infidels.

But to my question about the number of species onboard; 50,000 spiders alone. How would Noah have collected all these let alone kept them alive and apart from each other?! Even male and female spiders would need to be kept apart so that's 100,000 cages or containers for the spiders alone. What about all the other invertebrates? 900,000 known insect species, that's nearly 2,000,000 individuals. Then there is mammals, birds, reptiles, worms (17,000 species of these) etc.

Obviously evolution is regarded by Islam as untrue, so that can't explain anything.

Maybe the geography of Earth was most likely different.

Are you referring to Pangaea? That was over 200,000,000 years ago..... way before Adam and Eve.

There may be "a thousand explanations" so I would like to hear at least ten credible ones. Actually, one remotely credible one would be a good start.

Can anyone on IF give a feasible explanation as to how Noah would have addressed the practicalities of catching, keeping and releasing the millions of animals that make up the know animal kingdom?

I think Prophet Noah(as) was the first messenger after Adam(as). Or one of the first ones. This could have happened millions of years ago maybe billions or longer. Only Allah knows. Maybe the geography of Earth was most likely different. Maybe all creatures were not spread on the entire planet? Maybe they migrated to different places after the flood? There could be a thousand explanations but the fact is he did it because Allah willed it. We can not compare our time to that time. The population of the Earth might have been very small compared to now. Again we don't know. What might be interesting for you though is that the story of Noah(as) is mentioned in the bible and then about 600-700 years later it was told in the Quran which came to a man who was not some bible expert nor did he know how to read or write(i.e:Prophet Muhammad(saw)).

Anyway, here is the Islamic position on Noah(peace be upon him): (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/10470/Noah"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/10470/Noah[/url]

It does seem like it is impossible but nothing is impossible if God wills it.

Apart from that it is interesting that outside the bible and quran texts there are accounts of a big flood. We don't know everything about life back then - the way in which the ocean worked may have been very different. How do you know 50,000 spiders existed then - maybe it was more or less. Maybe religion can't give us all the answers we would want in relation to this but science is also not perfect - it hasn't got all the answers.

If you don't believe in God then obviously you are going to find it difficult to accept that God can make anything happen.

The Qur'an doesn't say that the entire world was submerged in water unlike the Bible.

According to Islam only certain parts of the world were submerged under water, one of them being the region of Noah and his people.

Islam differentiates from Christianity on the account of the animals loaded in the ark. According to Islam only the animals in the care of Noah were taken in the ark.

Edited by fajr_tear