Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tonnyj

What Are Ibid(s)?

Salem Wa Alaikum

I'm reading "The History of the Qur'anic Text" by Muhammad Mustafa Al-A'Zami. I'm having troubles looking into where he makes his citations. For example, he will say something like:

"The outcome on this revisionist approach is a complete erasure of Islamic history, and the fabrication of another in which such events as the pre-Islamic presence of paganism in Makkah, the Jewish settlements near Madinah, and the Muslim victory over the Byzantine Empire in Syria are absolutely denied. In fact, revisionism argues that the paganism which afflicted Makkah prior to Islam is simply a fictitious back projection of a pagan culture that thrived in southern Palestine." (ibid, pp 100-102. See also this work pp.337-8)

Does anyone know what this ibid means? Is it meant as another book called ibid? Or is it referring to the same book I reading in a different page?

PropellerAds

Wa alaikum as-salam

Ibid means that it refers to the same reference that was mentioned before. So, if in footnote 21 you have X book referenced and in footnote you read read ibid, the ibid refers to the X book.

Ok so if I'm on page 15 for example - and on the bottom of the page, it says 'ibid, i:230-31' - then will the reference be on page 230 -231?

Erm... I didn't quite understand what you were saying but I will give you a practical example from Azami's book.

Go to page number four and read the footnotes. Footnote number 4 gives the reference as "Lester, p. 46) and footnote 5 says "ibid, pp. 46-47". What the ibid means that the reference is found in Lester pages 46-47.

Footnote 7 gives the reference as "Lester, pp. 44). Footnotes 8 and 9 say ibid, meaning that the source for them is Lester.

I hope this helps.

Ok so if I'm on page 15 for example - and on the bottom of the page, it says 'ibid, i:230-31' - then will the reference be on page 230 -231?

From Wikipedia:

Ibid. (Latin, short for ibidem, meaning the same place) is the term used to provide an endnote or footnote citation or reference for a source that was cited in the preceding endnote or footnote. It is similar in meaning to idem (meaning something that has been mentioned previously; the same), abbreviated Id., which is commonly used in legal citation.[1] To find the ibid. source, one must look at the reference preceding it.

Hope this helps,

Ron